• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT| HaloGAF Evolved

Status
Not open for further replies.
I honestly don't see the WiiU having a huge impact on this market (The casual hardcore CoD/Madden guys) Those guys are established. They know what the want. I see potential in the Wii only household. Upgrade to Wii U --> finally have a good CoD game.

I agree. The hardcore multiplayer shooter is played on the PS/XBOX. Even with hardware to compete, I think Nintendo is going to have a hard time competing on the AAA multiplayer shooters.

Plus, how the fuck do you play a shooter when that controller/tv/dreamcast controller on steroids?

Yea that's a huge stretch.

CoD2 was a launch 360 game so it seems likely that we'll get a CoD for the next Xbox launch. It just might justify people getting the next Xbox if they could get the latest and "greatest" CoD with it. MS just needs to make sure it's not a shitty port like Madden 06 was for the 360, it needs to be the definitive version.

Yeah well Activision clearly plans out the development of their best franchise quite well, so as Treyarch is I'm sure releasing COD 2012 this year, I'm sure they already have some of IW/Sledgehammer/all other studios they can find working on their next COD game, with the next Xbox in mind as a platform.

Also, holy shit at the framerate in the control room on Damnation when there is a hill in there!

FyreWulff

I honestly don't see the WiiU having a huge impact on this market (The casual hardcore CoD/Madden guys) Those guys are established. They know what the want. I see potential in the Wii only household. Upgrade to Wii U --> finally have a good CoD game.

Yeah I don't see it myself, but then again MS managed to grab a good chunk of GTA and Madden bases from Playstation. When the new gens start to roll over, that first year or two is the best time to get people to jump over.

MS just needs to make sure it's not a shitty port like Madden 06 was for the 360, it needs to be the definitive version.

You had to go and remind me of that. Ugh. What a lazy port.

senador

Banned
Its common with toys. Re:creation/Jada Toys were excited to show off what they had planned, and where better than with the toy industry present at London Toy Fair. It gives people an idea of what to expect from the compony later this year, and while Im sure a lot of people would have liked to see the actual die casts, its not the entire point of the toy show. None the less, they showed off something, but likely couldn't show the actual things because either a, they aren't done, or b, MS still has Halo 4 under wraps. Its probably both reasons actually.

It stinks for us as fans of the game, but for those just interested in what items they will be producing, it isnt so bizarre.

Coming back to this late...

That is....still dumb. Who cares about toys like this? A small fraction of the overall Halo fan base. I don't buy toys, but I have a few Halo toys. I'd be interested in stuff like this to put on a shelf, but what they'd done is turn me off for now. This would just serve to confuse casual fans too. It'd make them think the toys will be based off old stuff, or that Halo 4 has the exact same stuff or that it still looks the same. I understand the need to be at the fair, but this is a poor way to do so. This doesn't show what they are capable of or plan at all. I could make the same cutouts and be like "Yeah, look Imma make these, they'll be the shit!". So overall I think its a poor attempt any way you look at it. Waaaay premature. Again, its dumb I think.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
I agree. The hardcore multiplayer shooter is played on the PS/XBOX. Even with hardware to compete, I think Nintendo is going to have a hard time competing on the AAA multiplayer shooters.

Plus, how the fuck do you play a shooter when that controller/tv/dreamcast controller on steroids?

Yeah well Activision clearly plans out the development of their best franchise quite well, so as Treyarch is I'm sure releasing COD 2012 this year, I'm sure they already have some of IW/Sledgehammer/all other studios they can find working on their next COD game, with the next Xbox in mind as a platform.

Also, holy shit at the framerate in the control room on Damnation when there is a hill in there!

The controller, I don't think, is an issue. I mean, it seems fully functional as a real controller but has a huge touch screen in the middle. Honestly I'm pretty pumped to lay in bed with that thing and play console games in my hands. Pretty cool.

Activision is in the drivers seat. It's MS' job to send Dev kits early to them to make sure the next Xbox Version of CoD is top notch. Obviously they don't want to put out a completely trash version but it will be difficult to get it out in time if there's no help from MS.

Yeah I don't see it myself, but then again MS managed to grab a good chunk of GTA and Madden bases from Playstation. When the new gens start to roll over, that first year or two is the best time to get people to jump over.

You had to go and remind me of that. Ugh. What a lazy port.

That's very true, those were complete Playstation games and now it's a toss up really. Actually, I think there are more 360 versions of each out there.

FyreWulff

That's very true, those were complete Playstation games and now it's a toss up really. Actually, I think there are more 360 versions of each out there.

I know for GTA4 it's 3.5 million copies sold on 360 and 1.8 sold on PS3, or around there (plus/minus .1 million)

Nutter

I know for GTA4 it's 3.5 million copies sold on 360 and 1.8 sold on PS3, or around there (plus/minus .1 million)

GTA 4 - 1.8 mill on 360 first month.

And now some random information. Top 5 openings on 360.

COD MW3 - 5.1 Mill
COD BO - 4.9 Mill
COD MW2 - 4.2 Mill
Halo 3 - 3.3 Mill
Halo Reach - 3.3 Mill

Tashi

GTA 4 - 1.8 mill on 360 first month.

And now some random information. Top 5 openings on 360.

COD MW3 - 5.1 Mill
COD BO - 4.9 Mill
COD MW2 - 4.2 Mill
Halo 3 - 3.3 Mill
Halo Reach - 3.3 Mill

Considering the install base difference...this should not have happened.

Nutter

Considering the install base difference...this should not have happened.

Lots of my RL friends(who played 2 and 3) did not like the beta and choose to ignore the retail all together. And I am sure there were many other folks who felt the same. Hopefully Halo 4 goes beyond that 3.3 start that 2, 3 and Reach had.

Please, holy god, limit guests to one or two playlists in Halo 4. PLEEEEEAAAASE.

Pathetic. -50 from one xbox and people wonder why there's an objection to guests in main playlists. Look at the ranks of your opponents; you got a new account with three untrackable guests along for the ride.

People play team slayer seriously? Might as well throw playable hunters in there. Who gives a fuck when non-paying guests are allowed to ruin playlists?

You're not a wraith whore. You are simply the result of a game whereby all the other weapons demand too much cognitive thoughts and reactions from the user.

Are we talking about Halo Reach here? :p

I was also pretty oblivious to how much convo goes on behind the scenes on stuff like Twitter, I struggle just keeping up with this place these days, how the hell do you guys do it!??

Lots of my RL friends(who played 2 and 3) did not like the beta and choose to ignore the retail all together. And I am sure there were many other folks who felt the same. Hopefully Halo 4 goes beyond that 3.3 start that 2, 3 and Reach had.

Which is a huge shame really, because its the kind of thing which makes developers less likely to want to do beta's or demos. Most of my friends (who loved Halo in the past) despite disliking the beta, picked up Reach but lost interest quickly. The fact is though that they still picked up the game.

Its probably fair to say though that since Halo 3, the marketing push for Halo hasnt generated the level of excitement that it really needs to in order to get the mass public on board. CoD is something that has been ingrained on society, people who dont even play games picked it up to know why the hell people were talking about it. Halo 4 needs a "No Russian" mission to get people talking. :p

Just watched that Helljumper video, for a fan made thing its fantastic, im going to be following it with great interest!

It's pretty hard to get such sales at times like this where CoD is the most known title.

Which is a huge shame really, because its the kind of thing which makes developers less likely to want to do beta's or demos. Most of my friends (who loved Halo in the past) despite disliking the beta, picked up Reach but lost interest quickly. The fact is though that they still picked up the game.

Its probably fair to say though that since Halo 3, the marketing push for Halo hasnt generated the level of excitement that it really needs to in order to get the mass public on board. CoD is something that has been ingrained on society, people who dont even play games picked it up to know why the hell people were talking about it. Halo 4 needs a "No Russian" mission to get people talking. :p

Just watched that Helljumper video, for a fan made thing its fantastic, im going to be following it with great interest!
I think that's the reason why we won't see a beta. Or just a closed beta. But how the kids are these days, they will cry and say that 343i don't know how to make a Halo promotion etc.

Do I have the only friends who didn't buy Reach because of the look?

Or you just, you know, make a good beta.
A good beta? The Reach beta was good. People told Bungie what had to be changed etc. Just Bungie really didn't in the most cases. But nowadays people think a beta = exclusive demo.

Or have a very big unskippable message pop up saying

"THIS IS A FUCKING BETA IT IS NOT THE FINAL CODE!!!!"

Most people would probably notice that.
Do you think that would really help?

wwm0nkey

A good beta? The Reach beta was good. People told Bungie what had to be changed etc. Just Bungie really didn't in the most cases. But nowadays people think a beta = exclusive demo.

Do you think that would really help?

That is the real problem what would help is if 343i had some sort of "message the devloper" feature built into the Beta where you can shoot off a feedback email in the game. They just need to make it clear that its a beta and not a demo or a beta demo and have features in the game that make it seem like they are listening even though I am sure most of the emails would be skipped.

I'll admit it, i hated the Halo Reach beta but still bought the game because it said Halo on the box.

I also hated the BF3 beta and skipped the game all together.

EDIT: I just beat Deus Ex 3 (PS3), game is amazing.

feel

Or have a very big unskippable message pop up saying

"THIS IS A FUCKING BETA IT IS NOT THE FINAL CODE!!!!"

Most people would probably notice that.

Then people would've thought they would be getting rid of the really annoying stuff like armor lock and jetpack in the final release.

Tawpgun

Look at Gears 3 for an example of a good beta.

Anyone who played the Gears 3 Beta and the final product will vouch for this. In both the Halo 3 and Halo Reach beta's they improved a lot, but also made unpopular changes as well. Halo 3 Trip Mine, Reach Pistol and Elites.

Gears 3 was ONLY good changes. The onlything you could have blamed them for is not changing enough, such as removing the sawed off.

But Gears 3 not only rebalanced weapons but they changed geometry of actual maps. Made brand new areas, new paths, cover. If only Sword Base could have received the same treatment.

MrBig

Look at Gears 3 for an example of a good beta.

Anyone who played the Gears 3 Beta and the final product will vouch for this. In both the Halo 3 and Halo Reach beta's they improved a lot, but also made unpopular changes as well. Halo 3 Trip Mine, Reach Pistol and Elites.

Gears 3 was ONLY good changes. The onlything you could have blamed them for is not changing enough, such as removing the sawed off.

But Gears 3 not only rebalanced weapons but they changed geometry of actual maps. Made brand new areas, new paths, cover. If only Sword Base could have received the same treatment.

That aspect of it was great, but Epic also refused to listen to the community feedback on the SOS. This made me not buy the game, assuming they would take the same stance at retail. And they did. If it weren't for the beta I would have bought that game and probably would have returned it after I beat the campaign and played a few games of mp, like I did with GoW2.

epic also keep buffing or changing the gnasher in ways, like how silly it would be to buff the BR to make all other weapons feel worse.

It's annoying.

That aspect of it was great, but Epic also refused to listen to the community feedback on the SOS. This made me not buy the game, assuming they would take the same stance at retail. And they did. If it weren't for the beta I would have bought that game and probably would have returned it after I beat the campaign and played a few games of mp, like I did with GoW2.

So you didnt buy gears 3? They nerfed the SOS semi recently and now the game has a Lancer/Gnasher only playlist. Its definitely worth buying if your even remotely interested in it.

The gears beta was good, but its wrong to assume too much from it, People assume the map changes where because of the beta for example, i dont think we have any confirmation on this it could of simply being a case of the maps we got in the beta where built specifically for the beta, They promoted quicker games by limiting the map size. And thus more encounters and more testing of the new weapons.

The Reach Beta (and the thread here) was a weird one.

Lots of positive reactions, some negative ones, some definite points that needed fixing (carbine) and some changes in opinion as the beta went on.

The beta wasn't long enough for the deeper problems to come to the forefront.
We also had no idea how the rest of the maps would turn out, the Forge issues, etc.

Betas a basically glorified demos these days.
Largely true, save for the longer, earlier types of beta a la Diablo 3 etc.

Betas a basically glorified demos these days.

Pretty much.

These "betas" we are getting are quite late builds, major stuff is not going to be changed, and most of the changes that happen were already planned or in some cases have already happened, their just not in the build they released as a beta.

Kuroyume

Banned
I really liked the beta. I don't like the final game. It's not like we had to play forge maps and deal with stuff like Evade back then so that's understandable... Not to mention the better weapon settings for vanilla Reach. Anyway, I don't think the beta was bad enough nor played by as many people to really account for the lack of a rise in those first month sales. H3/ODST took the luster off the brand somewhat. Will be interesting to see what damage Reach has done to it.

Tashi

Why not have closed, extended betas like PC gamers have for Diablo and other games? I think it's time to push the envelope on consoles and change the perception of what Betas are on consoles.

Trey

Why not have closed, extended betas like PC gamers have for Diablo and other games? I think it's time to push the envelope on consoles and change the perception of what Betas are on consoles.

Leaks. Don't properly stress test the servers like an open beta would, either.

Laziness, I mean pushing new builds out to console players must be hard surely microsoft would have to certify every build? as they do with any DLC.

Truly id like a beta that constantly changes so we can be part of the testing process but microsoft see that as a job better done by "games testers" and a Beta as a Demo more than anything else.

Tashi

Leaks. Don't properly stress test the servers like an open beta would, either.

Well the open beta could do the stress testing.

As for leaks, how does it work with PC gaming? There's no way they could police all that content. Do they just not care? Does it add to the hype instead? Could you only do it for games that aren't insanely anticipated?

Well the open beta could do the stress testing.

As for leaks, how does it work with PC gaming? There's no way they could police all that content. Do they just not care? Does it add to the hype instead? Could you only do it for games that aren't insanely anticipated?

They do a fairly good job by threatening legal action, but its never truly leak free they happen and they happen alot.

It kind of adds to hype, leaks are fairly optional and easy to avoid for the most part.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom