• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT10| The Calm Before The Storm

I'm fine with power weapons being powerful. What I have a problem with is when there is such a disaparity in the strength of the normal weapons and the power weapons. Everyone should always have a fighting chance, and when you have power weapons that are easy to use and kill in one hit and normal weapons that take 1.5 seconds to kill (while also being harder to use), you have a problem. The solution isn't to nerf the power weapons, its to make the normal weapons a little more on par.

So again, the power weapons aren't "unbalanced" as you suggested, the loadout weapons are just too weak you're saying. You see where I'm trying to steer your argument so it's more "factually" sound? It sucks to have people discredit you sometimes because of the individual words you say when the meaning of it as a whole is something different.

Now for my opinion on Personal Ordnance, normally I'd be inclined to agree with some who say it's too random and broken for competitive games, mostly good for fun/chaos, but maybe I'd argue that Personal Ordnance can be competitive. It's not like you have a constant flow of Personal Ordnance dropping in, but when you do get that Ordnance you should know how important you are to the game. So in that sense, I'd argue that Personal Ordnance provides a heavier emphasis on the individual succeeding as part of a team whether they decide to use the Ordnance for themselves or let a teammate more suitable to use the Drop.. not to mention working harder as a teammate/individual to even get those Drops quickly.

That's good. At least the post office didn't lose the entire batch. Sorry again to unknown and anyone else who may have not gotten their prize.

It's cool man, no worries. One of the giveaways like a week ago reminded me of it and I actually confused you for lilty at first lol - Thanks anyway :b

But your whole argument was that the geography should be what gives teams the advantage. Even if the power position has a "weak" spot, it still needs to have an advantage, otherwise it wouldn't be a power position and we're back to square one. It would also be really boring design if there were no power positions.

Without static, predictable power weapon spawns, you give teams an advantage for staying in one place; that's the exact opposite of what I think teams should be rewarded for. Holding a power position shouldn't be the entire premise of a game of slayer, at least in my opinion.

The problem with sword base has more to do with just the closed-end powerposition (the entire sandbox design contributed to Swordbases problems). The main problem was that one of the power weapons that allow teams to lock it down literally spawned in the power position.

You can have an advantage thats slight enough to keep the action moving around, but strong enough to have certain spots where more kills will take place. think of king of the hill with a much less-defined hill, and multiple "hill" spots at once. These already exist naturally in previous Halo games anyway.

nillapuddin

SC2 does not reset you every month, but it does have seasons. Seasons last several months. When a season is up, if you played in the last season and qualified for matches, you do 3 new placement matches instead of 5. These 3 gauge if you still deserve to be where you are at, need to be lower, or higher. Often it won't change shit, but sometimes you may have been on the tipping point before a season closed out, and these 3 new matches tip you to a league up or down.

Plus, unlike Arena, there is solo and team rankings, since you can compete in 1v1, 2v2, 3v3, and 4v4 for ladders.

Oh and unlike Arena it matches you up quickly from my experience where Arena matching can take for fucking ever. >.<

I have no problem with it resetting, I understand why it should happen, and I also believe that having seasons is really great because it gives you something to hang your hat on, and compare over the length of the title

every 3 months I think would make me happy

since you said it judges you based on your past performance to get another rating, your not starting from complete scratch, I like that also

BigShow36

You can have an advantage thats slight enough to keep the action moving around, but strong enough to have certain spots where more kills will take place. think of king of the hill to a much less-defined hill, and multiple "hill" spots at once.

The point is, like I said before, why would a team with the lead move from the best power position on the map?

Conversely, if the team with the lead was pushed out of the power position, why would they bother attacking that one instead of just re-establishing themselves at another power position and waiting the game out?

So again, the power weapons aren't "unbalanced" as you suggested, the loadout weapons are just too weak you're saying. You see where I'm trying to steer your argument so it's more "factually" sound? It sucks to have people discredit you sometimes because of the individual words you say when the meaning of it as a whole is something different.

Yes, they are unbalanced given Halo 4's sandbox. If the loadout weapons were stronger, the power weapons wouldn't be unbalanced, but they're not. Things can only be balanced or unbalanced given the context of the game they are featured in.

Bsigg12

Do we know for a fact that assault is out?

It has never been mentioned in anything or confirmed to be out so, no there is no confirmation yet.

I still can't see them taking it out of Halo.

Yeah, its a classic, like CTF. I can't imagine them leaving it out or changing it....

Honestly, I don't mind them changing it. Axing it all together is completely different though. The changes to CTF are fine to me, and I can see them making it more popular among the general population.

The point is, like I said before, why would a team with the lead move from the best power position on the map?

Conversely, if the team with the lead was pushed out of the power position, why would they bother attacking that one instead of just re-establishing themselves at another power position and waiting the game out?

Yes, they are unbalanced given Halo 4's sandbox. If the loadout weapons were stronger, the power weapons wouldn't be unbalanced, but they're not.

They'll move because they'll get taken over, killed. And teams are not that great at staying together in a tight group, its not as easy as it sounds, even when they're communicating. Ever play crysis 2 mp? It works.

That simply doesn't work though. They're in a power position with the lead, they have a massive advantage if they aren't forced to move. Just saying "they'll get taken over so that's why they move" simply isn't realistic. Camping a power position makes it incredibly difficult for an attacking team to simply "take it over," that's why its a power position. And you compared COD to Halo just 2 posts ago. Crysis 2 is more like Halo that COD.

Crysis 2 is a completely different game.

Its unreasonable to say that you can't take over a hypothetical power position. You design it so it can be taken over, like many games with deathmatch have done before.

BigShow36

They'll move because they'll get taken over, killed. And teams are not that great at staying together in a tight group, its not as easy as it sounds, even when they're communicating. Ever play crysis 2 mp? It works.

That simply doesn't work though. They're in a power position with the lead, they have a massive advantage if they aren't forced to move. Just saying "they'll get taken over so that's why they move" simply isn't realistic. Camping a power position makes it incredibly difficult for an attacking team to simply "take it over," that's why its a power position.

Crysis 2 is a completely different game.

Yes, they are unbalanced given Halo 4's sandbox. If the loadout weapons were stronger, the power weapons wouldn't be unbalanced, but they're not. Things can only be balanced or unbalanced given the context of the game they are featured in.

Semantics, which is what I was trying to avoid lol - I'd argue that they're balanced because that's how we want them, but that the loadouts are just weak. People used to call the Halo 3 BR broken and unbalanced, but do you honestly believe that? Sure, obviously you're right too given the sandbox, but I choose to look at Halo as a whole with these things. Halo as a whole needs to be powerful so when something meets those requirements, even in a game with weak/useless crap, I still wouldn't call it unbalanced and overpowered. As long as you understand what I'm saying there's no point to talk about this further since we're basically in agreement :b

Yeah, its a classic, like CTF. I can't imagine them leaving it out or changing it....

images

Jmte

Neo Member
As of a few minutes ago, when I go onto Waypoint I am redirected to 'http://www.halowaypoint.com/', which isn't working. It looks like the long awaited site overhaul is finally underway.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, it's a mandatory* Halo staple, as far as I'm concerned. Neutral Bomb is probably my favorite gametype, or maybe second after two flag CTF.

Mandatory as in "I REALLY WISH IT WAS INCLUDED," not mandatory as in "Pre-order cancelled."

Kuroyume

Banned
The fact that neither Frank nor David has mentioned that Assault is in,should fill no one with optimism... As insane as that sounds, a Halo game without assault. Kind of reminds me of when we asked them for months if flag throwing was in the game and they didn't/couldn't answer.... Well, there was a good reason for that. Not saying that the CTF change WAS the reason they kept mum about that, just wondering if it was.

Man, even I cringed at the casual overusage of 'rape' in this video. Glad this guy got banned.

hahaha I thought this was barrow roll cause it's his facebook avatar

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=43124350&postcount=430
Haha, I wish. That was hilarious

shake appeal and bigshow making sense like usual
Keep slurpin that dee.

BigShow36

The fact that neither Frank nor David has mentioned that Assault is in,should fill no one with optimism... As insane as that sounds, a Halo game without assault. Kind of reminds me of when we asked them for months if flag throwing was in the game and they didn't/couldn't answer.... Well, there was a good reason for that. Not saying that the CTF change WAS the reason they kept mum about that, just wondering if it was.

Actually, and I said this a while back, maybe it's good they haven't mentioned it, it probably means they haven't fucked it up.

It had a gametype named Assault, but you just took the flag from your base to their base. I think I played it like, once.

I'm sure I sound like a broken record at this point but this is why I think we'll still have that Assault gametype
no we won't
.. just without the bomb (or maybe it changes the OB skin to a bomb like Flood Mode's Claw and arming/detonation mechanic??)

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Actually, and I said this a while back, maybe it's good they haven't mentioned it, it probably means they haven't fucked it up.

You can't fuck up assault any more than it was. I'd say good riddance if gone. Or make it mandatory that if you want to play assault you have to be in a party.

Ryaaan14

Banned
Can't you just use the "objball" to make an Assault gametype? I don't see why not. Grifball was Assault and the only thing changing there is no explosion and the ball respawning. I'm guessing it can be tweaked to end the round instead of respawning.

Havok

Can't you just use the "objball" to make an Assault gametype? I don't see why not. Grifball was Assault and the only thing changing there is no explosion and the ball respawning. I'm guessing it can be tweaked to end the round instead of respawning.
Depends on what toggles they give us, really. Removing the waypoint over ballbomb carrier would be priority one, considering the gametype revolves around the concept of a gradual setup in support of surprise attacks. Removing ball throwing for an assault would be less important, but I think a good step to take. I think it's safe to say that even if you were to use the ball for an Assault variant, you wouldn't be able to keep the interesting arm/plant mechanics of classic Assault, which is a bummer. Grifball works in that sense because there's no arm time.

I thought it was confirmed Halo 4 uses scripting akin to Megalo in Reach, which would mean they could create all manner of gametypes post-launch. It doesn't excuse excluding legacy gametypes on-disc, but the importance of such content has diminished as the software has evolved.

JonCha

Global Ordnance:

Used on most modes for power weapons. They spawn at initial, predictable points at the start of the match, as in past Halo games. Thereafter, they spawn in at set times at any number of predetermined locations, with the location selected at random by the spawning system. The exact weapon is also not fixed, but is randomly selected from the map-specific set of possible options for the system to choose from. So you know when something will spawn, but not what, or where. But you know the range of possible locations and range of possible things that will spawn.

Personal Ordnance:

Used in Infinity Slayer. Players accumulate points, fill a meter, and then get the chance to call down ordnance to their location, chosen from one of three options. Again, the three options are random but chosen by the game sytems from a pre-determined set for that map/mode.

Random means that given all the data of a given system, you cannot determine the outcome of an event.
What people mean by random is that an event is unpredictable, i.e. we don't know enough to be able to determine the outcome of an event.

Personal ordnance has three options, each item (left, right, down) fall under a certain category, but the item you get to chose from for each position is chosen unpredictably from a set. Personal ordnance only exists in Infinity Slayer (so far)

Global ordnance is also unpredictable, but weapons are from a fixed weapon set, and initial drops are always the same, afaik.

Thanks. For Global Ordnance drops I feel the range of locations will determine its success or failure, though I feel 343 will go ahead with the system regardless. If I can play maps over time and learn drop locations, I'll be happy.

And keep Personal Ordnance out of as many playlists as possible please. Or restrict it to Infinity Slayer.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
According to Reddit:

No VIP Gametype
No Assault Gametype
New Map is called
Vortex
(Pic proof : http://imgur.com/CTu4V)
You can disable radar
No new Theatre features
No Theatre rewinding - same 10 second jump like Reach
Theatre confirmed for Campaign, Multiplayer and Spartan-Ops

Tawpgun

Thank god. The people that enjoy that gametype on that map are the same ones that give Muse money.

WOAH.

According to Reddit:

No VIP Gametype
No Assault Gametype
New Map is called
Vortex
You can disable radar
No new Theatre features
No VIP and no new Theatre features is super sad.

VIP allowed for some cool customs

Yup, its Fred.. you can see him in the preview for next week. It seems he wont be name dropped in the show though, because he is only credited as 'Spartan'. Kelly, however is credited by her name, so she may have a bigger role.
Oh I Just spotted those a few minutes ago, thanks ;) so good. @16:01 & 16:10.

Vire

According to Reddit:

No VIP Gametype
No Assault Gametype
New Map is called
Vortex
You can disable radar
No new Theatre features

Yep, sounds about right.

Can't say I'll miss VIP or Assault.

I figured the last map wouldn't be Covenant. :/

Theatre being the same doesn't surprise me at all given how little 343 has talked about it.

Karl2177

Aside from his constant usage of "rape", one thing really fucking bothered me about this video. When he says "dynamic spawns for the lose". He was the person who wanted Over's Refuge to have dynamic spawns instead of static spawns. And when I asked for sources saying that dynamic would be better than static on Refuge, he only referenced himself. as awful as I am for saying this, I'm glad he got banned.

Top Bottom