• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT10| The Calm Before The Storm

Karl2177

no flag juggling, no classic ctf settings, no classic oddball settings, only remake is a BTB map, all maps designed for at least 5v5, forge is grey legos again

so much for that competitive halo revival.
Just because I'm curious, what do you think Halo 4 will improve upon in the series?

Thermite

According to Reddit:

No VIP Gametype
No Assault Gametype
New Map is called
Vortex
(Pic proof : http://imgur.com/CTu4V)
You can disable radar
No new Theatre features
No Theatre rewinding - same 10 second jump like Reach
Theatre confirmed for Campaign, Multiplayer and Spartan-Ops

Assault is the poor man's Capture The Flag, not too saddened by its departure. No new theatre features is pretty fucking lame, though. If they're going to keep it exactly the same as Halo 3's and Reach's, they should have at least tweaked how rewinding worked....

will TU BETA SLAYER be making a return? can anyone at 343 confirm? my friends and I are huge TU BETA SLAYER fans and it would be a shame if it gets left behind

lol.

DeadNames

Banned
no flag juggling, no classic ctf settings, no classic oddball settings, only remake is a BTB map, all maps designed for at least 5v5, forge is grey legos again

so much for that competitive halo revival.

Did you ever think that stuff would come back?

Besides. I think the lighting on forge will make the maps feel less dreary.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
So now that we know there are no Covenant maps, is this due to it being a massive amount of work with all new textures that can't be repurposed like the Forerunners? Canon reasons? Why? :(

Hopefully the first DLC pack puts a little more purple in our hearts.
Because even though the Infinity can simulate any location it chooses civilian gas-mining plants like Adrift and science facilities like Abandon.

G17

?

You never wanted to render a film or make a screenshot?

I mean, look, I want full rewind & want export to YouTube [snark]hire Dave Lang[/snark], but that doesn't mean Reach's theater (or H4, by extension) is suddenly useless.

He never said it's useless.. but we all had our reasons for using Theatre mode in Halo 3. His probably was to create a lobby with friends and go through clips of moments during multiplayer.

Thank god. The people that enjoy that gametype on that map are the same ones that give Muse money.

I am guilty on both counts M'Lord

There's no way for the hacker to test four way (or even two way) party functionality for Halo 4's theatre mode so that could still happen. That's the big ticket for me on theatre two years on from Reach (yea, a feature that was in the five year old Halo 3). If that's not in then i'll be exceptionally disappointed. I care more for theatre than Forge. Surely they can manage that if Blop's 2 is launching with a fully fleshed out spectator mode and live streaming.

If kill-cams are possible then surely we can view all players 1st person perspectives in the theatre now?

I wish we could have 2 player split theatre.

Completely forgot about this. Possible in Halo 3, nu uh in Reach.

BigShow36

Wait, are you planning on selling it a week after launch?

Just Redbox that shit

I'm not necessarily "planning" on it, but I'm assuming based off what I've seen that Blops 2 will be what I'm playing primarily. Also, I get Halo 4 for free.

Realistically, I'll probably hold on to Halo 4 for a few months before I consider selling it.

Gray Man

Banned
Good for them for sticking to their guns with automatic Flag Holding, and not being albe to drop it.

It changes the style of play, and the teamwork and methods involved in going after the flag. I'm glad they want to push this into custom games as well.

zap

I have a question to all the people who have played it or analysed the videos...

How long do shields take to recharge after bing shot? Is it more similar to Halo 3 (where you can re-engage a lot faster) or Reach (where you have to sit down and have a coffee before you can re-engage)??

Good for them for sticking to their guns with automatic Flag Holding, and not being albe to drop it.

It changes the style of play, and the teamwork and methods involved in going after the flag. I'm glad they want to push this into custom games as well.

I'm so glad they took away our options to play CTF how we want!

1KLq5.gif

So now that we know there are no Covenant maps, is this due to it being a massive amount of work with all new textures that can't be repurposed like the Forerunners? Canon reasons? Why? :(

Hopefully the first DLC pack puts a little more purple in our hearts.

I thought they had a no purple rule. Makes sense as COD doesnt have purple.

kylej

Banned
yo can someone stick a thumb drive into the infinity hologram system that has files for The Pit on it? hell I can get an SD card if it's easier

FyreWulff

Hey Fyrewulff, having a run around Relapse, and it seems like you have put some killzones on the bottom floor of the map. Just running around and keep triggering them. (Running around in classic slayer to check the map out)

Anyone want a custom game on it?

sdkasldkasdk how are you even triggering that kill zone. It's completely under the map. Quick fix time..

edit: oh god i don't even know how this happened :lol

Thermite

Sticking to their decision to have CTF play a certain way in match making is one thing, but to not have the option for players to be able to customize things like no auto-grab, juggling, etc in custom games is just silly. Even Reach had that option.

Gray Man

Banned
I'm so glad they took away our options to play CTF how we want!

1KLq5.gif

This is their game, they want the CTF experience to be different, if you want to play, and create game types where you can drop the flag, why don't you go play any of the other Halo games?

This is their take on the series, think for a moment, what the benefits of not being able to drop the flag might be?

Sticking to their decision to have CTF play a certain way in match making is one thing, but to not have the option for players to be able to customize things like no auto-grab, juggling, etc in custom games is just silly. Even Reach had that option.

I understand this argument, but clearly its something they want to remain consistent. It seems they want this to remain part of what the 343 Halo is.

Are you serious?

You bet, I'm excited to see how this will change how CTF gets played.

Talents

Banned

Wait%20are%20you%20serious%20PLEASE%20LET%20IT%20BE%20TRUE%20_3891fbcb59d326dda7b30f66a8b3f5ae.gif

Are you serious?

Sai-kun

Banned
will TU BETA SLAYER be making a return? can anyone at 343 confirm? my friends and I are huge TU BETA SLAYER fans and it would be a shame if it gets left behind

Alright, I laughed.

This is their game, they want the CTF experience to be different, if you want to play, and create game types where you can drop the flag, why don't you go play any of the other Halo games?

This is their take on the series, think for a moment, what the benefits of not being able to drop the flag might be?

I'm like a charter member of Team SLRP, but fucking lol. How in the fuck could NOT having options be better than having options? What the fuck? I just...I can't...I...

9yVPc.gif

zlatko

Banned

Too many people in CTF don't touch the flag as it is, and would rather shoot up a storm. Maybe this will help keep the flag moving more often, even if it is unintentional.

Halo 4 should be expanding customization options, not pruning them. Anyone who says differently is selling something.

What is the source of these arguments? How are people so sure of the breadth and depth of Halo 4's gametype customization?

DeadNames

Banned
I'm not necessarily "planning" on it, but I'm assuming based off what I've seen that Blops 2 will be what I'm playing primarily. Also, I get Halo 4 for free.

Realistically, I'll probably hold on to Halo 4 for a few months before I consider selling it.

Wait, so you're going to play BlOps 2 instead of 4? Just out of curiosity, why?

zap

I understand this argument, but clearly its something they want to remain consistent. It seems they want this to remain part of what the 343 Halo is.

FJXgC.gif

Halo has always been about OPTIONS. We could choose how we wanted to play. Bungie took out flag juggling in their games, but they gave us an option to add it back in if we want to play it like that in customs!

How is less choice a good thing in your mind?

There are no benefits of not having the option to turn on flag dropping! How could there be a benefit for taking away a custom game option like that?

BigShow36

Too many people in CTF don't touch the flag as it is, and would rather shoot up a storm. Maybe this will help keep the flag moving more often, even if it is unintentional.

Yes, because people who play CTF just to slay are totally going to pick up the flag now that it removes your primary weapon and gives you one of the most worthless guns in the game (With Bloom! for added fun!) and doesn't let you drop the flag.

That's some solid developer logic right there. You should consider a career.

BigShow, are you still writing a review of H4? If so, will it be online?

Yes, but I'm not sure I want to reveal where. Also, I'm much more... diplomatic... with my reviewer cap on.

Fracas

#fuckonami
NERFED
+10
Works great in MLG Reach

Yep.

Eh, true, it wasn't that bad.

Jetpack alone makes me not want to play it though.
Yes, because people who play CTF just to slay are totally going to pick up the flag now that it removes your primary weapon and gives you one of the most worthless guns in the game (With Bloom! for added fun!) and doesn't let you drop the flag.

That's some solid developer logic right there. You should consider a career.

Yes, but I'm not sure I want to reveal where. Also, I'm much more... diplomatic... with my reviewer cap on.
Wait, are you a game journalist?

Lol what am I thinking, you're decent at Halo, nevermind

?

You never wanted to render a film or make a screenshot?

I mean, look, I want full rewind & want export to YouTube [snark]hire Dave Lang[/snark], but that doesn't mean Reach's theater (or H4, by extension) is suddenly useless.

He never said it's useless.. but we all had our reasons for using Theatre mode in Halo 3. His probably was to create a lobby with friends and go through clips of moments during multiplayer.

^This. Took the words right outta my mouth lol :b

I used Theater to share with friends so we could watch stuff at the same time. In Halo 3 I used it all the time for those reasons, not possible with Reach. All the other features like pics and films are cool, but personally I don't upload games or screenshots because of how boring/bland I find Reach to be.

OT:

Bonus Round w/ Black Ops 2 - Interesting watch, that game definitely has a ton of great content for CoD fans and seems to be a must-buy for anyone interested in that type of game. The part that interested me the most though was the Zombies mode.. I'm considering BOps2 just to play that B]

Tawpgun

pnDIK.gif

BigShow36

Wait, so you're going to play BlOps 2 instead of 4? Just out of curiosity, why?

Probably.

Keep in mind, I'm using past Halo/CoD games to base this assumption on. I just find I have more fun in CoD games where I can be effective as an individual and I'm given much more freedom to move about the map as I see fit. I can take on multiple enemies if I have great aim and use the environment intelligently.

I don't consider CoD games to be competitively viable, but neither do I consider recent Halo games, so I might as well play the one where I can at least be a factor as an individual player. Do I get frustrated in CoD games? Of course (I stopped playing MW2 and 3 because of how shitty they were), but at least the majority of the time I feel like an empowered player who can make an impact with good play.

Top Bottom