• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT10| The Calm Before The Storm

Has anyone who has seen footage managed to grab a glimpse at vortex? Is it small, med, or large?

It's supposedly medium-large. We've only scene the menu screenshot of it.

edit: top of the page...yikes...uh...never forget!
gif3bqadk.gif

Booties

Banned
Assault sucked anyway. And who cares about map aesthetics? You play that shit 100 times and all you see are colors. I don't need my maps to be canon proof. Just make sure they're good to play.

zlatko

Banned
Yes, because people who play CTF just to slay are totally going to pick up the flag now that it removes your primary weapon and gives you one of the most worthless guns in the game (With Bloom! for added fun!) and doesn't let you drop the flag.

That's some solid developer logic right there. You should consider a career.

Yes, but I'm not sure I want to reveal where. Also, I'm much more... diplomatic... with my reviewer cap on.

Calm down. You make it sound like I punched your mom in the fucking kidneys. Jesus.

My basis is, before, if you die with the flag, and team mates were near you, then odds are a lot of them would NOT go to pick it up, and instead would camp around it till someone else does. Well now if they are near it when you die holding it, there is a chance it goes to someone else and forces them to keep on moving it forward.

Really though I don't play CTF, because it is nothing more than a camping fest of dudes trying to spike their k/d instead of going for the objective.

zap

Calm down. You make it sound like I punched your mom in the fucking kidneys. Jesus.

My basis is, before, if you die with the flag, and team mates were near you, then odds are a lot of them would NOT go to pick it up, and instead would camp around it till someone else does. Well now if they are near it when you die holding it, there is a chance it goes to someone else and forces them to keep on moving it forward.

Really though I don't play CTF, because it is nothing more than a camping fest of dudes trying to spike their k/d instead of going for the objective.

Haha it really doesn't.

But that argument is silly, because they are forced to pick it up, would they not just move further away from the flag? If you could still drop the flag, you could get a touch to stop it returning before someone else comes to pick it up?

JonCha

I strongly disagree. The old system gave you a choice and made you think about whether you wanted to drop the flag and fight or keep it and try to sneak away. There were pros and cons to both and it was up to the playe how to best accomplish the objective. Now, there is no choice; you can't react to the changing battlefield once you pick up the flag; you're stuck with a frustratingly inept pistol and the flag.

You are right here.

I'm not sure how it balances out, you only have one option when you touch the flag, get pointed out and have a singular means of defense. You can walk at normal base speeds, but it still serves as a movement hit because you can't sprint while everyone else can. Being a flag carrier means you're losing options.

Again, correct. Though the new system has cons, which is important I think. Whether it turns out to be balanced or not will be seen at launch.

Going into Halo 4 I'm only concerned about Promethean Vision and Hardlight Shield. It seems like my acceptance level is lower than a lot of people in here -- not a dig, just my feelings -- though that doesn't mean I'll accept unbalanced gameplay. My philosophy is always, as long as systems are balanced, I'm good.

Petrichor

I wouldn't have minded the changes they were making to CTF if they'd left assault untouched (which was always just CTF in reverse, and just as enjoyable) but without it I'm much more skeptical about the objective gametypes on offer in Halo 4....

Beckx

^This. Took the words right outta my mouth lol :b

I used Theater to share with friends so we could watch stuff at the same time. In Halo 3 I used it all the time for those reasons, not possible with Reach. All the other features like pics and films are cool, but personally I don't upload games or screenshots because of how boring/bland I find Reach to be.

Got it. For me it's far easier to share moments via rendered clips than to get people together first to play then to watch films.

But I'm also the guy who is secretly dying on the inside when someone is sharing all their vacation pics, so the idea of sitting around while someone says "wait, I'm almost there, no, that's not it, hang on hang on" is like a nightmare. :D

Serious question, if you manage to obtain something early, but legally, is it ok to say you did on here? Or do we need to keep that stuff to ourselves? Just wondering.

Depends if you had to sign an NDA, I guess. But then you wouldn't be able to say you liked the song, either.

heckfu

Banned
If my mom's name was "logic," you definitely did punch her in the kidneys.
This is a genuine question, honest to god no ulterior motives I'm just curious if you're planning on playing only a week or so and then selling it why do you keep posting your displeasure with the changes?

My personality, if in your position, would default to saying fuck it and just not bothering.

(And for the record, I have literally nothing against you. Our opinions clearly differ and we both have the same fervor for expressing them so that's why it probably appears that we clash)

According to Reddit:

No VIP Gametype
No Assault Gametype
New Map is called
Vortex
(Pic proof : http://imgur.com/CTu4V)
You can disable radar
No new Theatre features
No Theatre rewinding - same 10 second jump like Reach
Theatre confirmed for Campaign, Multiplayer and Spartan-Ops

No VIP in matchmaking can only be reason for celebration, but that is blocked out by the removal of Assault. Ghaleon am cry

The exact same theatre from Halo Reach is expected, but still kinda lame nonetheless.

B wzy

Neo Member
Yo NYC gaffers, we need some write ups and opinions from your play time to reduce the hate building up in here.

This is a genuine question, honest to god no ulterior motives I'm just curious if you're planning on playing only a week or so and then selling it why do you keep posting your displeasure with the changes?

My personality, if your position, would default to saying fuck it and just not bothering.
Something something sports team losing for 10 seasons but gonna hang in there anyways.

Nothing new for Theater??? For fuck's sake 343i, for fuck's sake....

This actually makes me sad. Uncharted 2 (2009) had a theater mode that put Halo's to shame. It is sad that 343 couldn't even match it.

It had

-adjustable depth of field
-field of view
-shaky cam
-slow motion
-color grading
-color saturation
-ability to add fog and change its color
-green screen

There's more, here's a vid of it.

http://youtu.be/gq02X8knYug

Fracas

#fuckonami

My personality, if in your position, would default to saying fuck it and just not bothering.

(And for the record, I have literally nothing against you. Our opinions clearly differ and we both have the same fervor for expressing them so that's why it probably appears that we clash)

clevelandbrownslogo.jpg

edit: barrow'd

I wouldn't have minded the changes they were making to CTF if they'd left assault untouched (which was always just CTF in reverse, and just as enjoyable) but without it I'm much more skeptical about the objective gametypes on offer in Halo 4....

It really puts things into perspective when you realize they decided to keep Infection and Grifball over Assault..

Same goes for the armor and Mk.V..

Same goes for the weapons and Grenade Launcher..

I'm just hoping the gameplay is fast enough (everything ranging from fast animations (thank you Dexterity) to fast encounters (fastest since Halo 1) to fast traversal speed (universal Sprint/Mobility)) to keep me active - which seems to be the case anyway so that's why I'm not too worried about the gameplay at the end of the day.

Blueblur1

Theater is exactly the same? Wow, I expected them to at least improve it in some tiny way. So basically, Halo 4 only iterates and brings no new features to the table. That's a little disheartening. Will Halo 5 do the same thing? :/

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
is there a matchmaking or live issue going on? i cant get in a game of BTB, just fills up with match found, idles for about a minute then restarts the search, over and over again

BigShow36

I'm a Halo fan. I played the crap out of Goldeneye and PD, but I wasn't a "gamer" until Halo CE came along. Halo has the potential to be the greatest console FPS like it once was. I'm passionate about it and I hate to see it's potential ruined by shoddy logic and poor design decisions. I enjoy talking about it and interacting with Halo fans. I think message boards are hilarious and a good way to vent and get my opinions out there.

I normally do just say "fuck it" and forget about Halo for long stretches of time. I'm just in one of my phases where I long for the game Halo used to be and like to take some jabs at what I see as misguided design. A few weeks after Halo 4, you'll probably never hear from me again.

Why is anyone here other than to waste time and talk about Halo? It's all irrelevant and meaningless in the end.

Played a game of Infinity Slayer on Haven today at a local gaming expo.

Pretty sure the build was old, but anyway:

+ graphics are the shit
+ still feels like halo
+ always having sprint speeds things up

- controls are weird as hell, something just feels off
- sound is horrible, BR sounds like an airsoft rifle (probably fixed by now, judging from newer videos)
- BR spread is horrible
- promethean vision is ridiculously overpowered

Not sold on the MP, to be quite honest.

I'm a Halo fan. I played the crap out of Goldeneye and PD, but I wasn't a "gamer" until Halo CE came along. Halo has the potential to be the greatest console FPS like it once was. I'm passionate about it and I hate to see it's potential ruined by shoddy logic and poor design decisions. I enjoy talking about it and interacting with Halo fans. I think message boards are hilarious and a good way to vent and get my opinions out there.

I normally do just say "fuck it" and forget about Halo for long stretches of time. I'm just in one of my phases where I long for the game Halo used to be and like to take some jabs at what I see as misguided design. A few weeks after Halo 4, you'll probably never hear from me again.

Why is anyone here other than to waste time and talk about Halo? It's all irrelevant and meaningless in the end.

So this is like that band who only had one good album (it's nearly always the first) and you hope and pray that they would do a proper sucessor to that album but they never do. They release things other people love, but you're stuck listening to that album on repeat. You go to their concerts and get annoyed at how they don't play songs from that first album nearly as often anymore. You call yourself a fan because you were there when the band started. Shit was dope back then. In your mind you still are a fan but you look around at concerts and see peeps who just started digging the later albums and, while you can accept that, you glance back at the stage and wonder what there is for you anymore.

You always love that one album though.

So this is like that band who only had one good album (it's nearly always the first) and you hope and pray that they would do a proper sucessor to that album but they never do. They release things other people love, but you're stuck listening to that album on repeat. You go to their concerts and get annoyed at how they don't play songs from that first album nearly as often anymore. You call yourself a fan because you were there when the band started. Shit was dope back then. In your mind you still are a fan but you look around at concerts and see peeps who just started digging the later albums and, while you can accept that, you glance back at the stage and wonder what there is for you anymore.

You always love that one album though.

There are no other bands who are able to put an album together like that one album which was magical, but for some reason the band has sold out and is throwing together the same crap every other band is putting out - even though they can do better.

I might not agree with Bigshow, but the people who are constantly jumping on him because they are unable to understand his simple posts are just as bad. (Not just talking about you Hydra, but I am getting pretty sick of watching some people throw salt over everything, and then other people feign stupidity in order to argue semantics to tell those people not to throw salt.)

Fracas

#fuckonami
There are no other bands who are able to put an album together like that one album which was magical, but for some reason the band has sold out and is throwing together the same crap every other band is putting out - even though they can do better.

The Strokes?

:'(

Sorry, I don't listen to shit bands.

I kid. I kid. I ONLY listen to shit bands.

BigShow36

And I can't listen to the old album because radio wasn't invented back then.

feel

I have a plan, listen carefully to me guys.

We will be creating 10 or more spinoff forum/sites.

These sites will be named something like skillrankshub.com, theaterhub.com, 60fpshalohub.com, classicflaghub, assaulthub, markVhub, nofuckingjetpackshub, etc, etc.

We will relocate 15 halogaffers to each and call them successful thriving halo communities.

It's the one way to get the developers to pay attention to decent features or not cut stuff, we must do this.

Amazing Mic

Neo Member
I don't consider CoD games to be competitively viable, but neither do I consider recent Halo games, so I might as well play the one where I can at least be a factor as an individual player. Do I get frustrated in CoD games? Of course (I stopped playing MW2 and 3 because of how shitty they were), but at least the majority of the time I feel like an empowered player who can make an impact with good play.

I typically can buy into of your critiques- but when you bring this up I don't get it. In general I feel COD makes every player feel like a superstar. MW1 was pretty awesome- but I've felt every version since has been a sniper in the weeds, call in the nuke festival. The skill gaps you talk about are practically nil.

So I'm not quite sure why you are so concerned H4 is supposedly moving in this direction, or, in other words, why BLOPS2 is a preferable option.

TheOddOne

I thought you loved me. You humped me in the spoiler thread, TheOddOne.
I feel so used.
Shh baby, I'm gonna divorce 'em once the money dries up.

These sites will be named something like skillrankshub.com, theaterhub, 60fpshalohub, classicflaghub, assaulthub, markVhub, nofuckingjetpackshub, etc, etc.

We will relocate 15 halogaffers to each and call them successful thriving halo communities.

It's the one way to get the developers to pay attention to decent features or not cut stuff, we must do this.
gif-2-thumbs-up.gif

Band analogy is amusing, only because when you extend it, the band grew into a full orchestra, and now has been replaced with an almost completely different orchestra releasing said band's latest album.

These sites will be named something like skillrankshub.com, theaterhub, 60fpshalohub, classicflaghub, assaulthub, markVhub, nofuckingjetpackshub, etc, etc.

I lol'd

This is funny right here... and kinda true :_(

Top Bottom