• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT10| The Calm Before The Storm

heckfu

Banned
Band analogy is amusing, only because when you extend it, the band grew into a full orchestra, and now has been replaced with an almost completely different orchestra releasing said band's latest album.

I might not agree with Bigshow, but the people who are constantly jumping on him because they are unable to understand his simple posts are just as bad. (Not just talking about you Hydra, but I am getting pretty sick of watching some people throw salt over everything, and then other people feign stupidity in order to argue semantics to tell those people not to throw salt.)

Is this what you mean Bobs?

(im joking)

I hate posting these kind of posts, but I just have to..

-Uncharted 2 Theater Sexiness-

http://youtu.be/gq02X8knYug

I mean, it's not like 343 is made up of some of the industry's most talented devs who also happen to be Halo fans, right? Right?

Internally, I'm so sick and tired of making bullshit excuses for these companies in charge of the franchises I love, especially when it comes to obvious expectations for the next game.

Halo 1 to Halo 2:
-"Oh, Bungie added a wealth of so many new features and the online is great fun overall, I'll give them a pass on how shitty some things were before patch and how shitty some things still are because I mean, Halo 1 MP was a fluke so they're still learning and will make it better next time."

Halo 3 releases and is an all-around weaker game than Halo 2:
-"Oh, well.. This was Bungie's first game on the 360 and all the difficulties associated with it developing for a new machine will surely mean that the next game will be much more fun. I mean, I'm shocked they made the gameplay even slower AND weaker, but after so many people wanting for a faster Halo they'll surely make the next one on par."

Halo Reach releases and is an all-around weaker game than Halo 3:
-"Well.. This is Bungie's last Halo game and although it did get slower and there are many flaws, with some tweaks it can be more playable (competitively at least). I mean, thank goodness true Halo fans are in charge of the next Halo so the definitive Halo that fans have been asking for can finally be made.. or at least closer to it."

Halo 4 has yet to release but I'm already starting to make these same kind of lame, tired excuses:
-"Hmm, I can understand 343 wanted it to be their own unique Halo, but why not have options like dropping the flag in customs? Why keep bs (in the sense that Grifball should never be considered on the same level as CTF/OB/Assault), fanmade gametypes that were never truly intended to be competitive over classic gametypes that once had a unique flavor? Also, I guess I'll get over the Theater thing because I'm sure I'm in the 49% minority of people who loved to share moments at the same time with friends..

But HEY, at least I finally got that faster and more visceral Halo game I've been craving since halfway through Halo 2's lifecycle!"

TL:DR -
I'm one twisted frikkin Halo fan.

I mean im shocked that 343 put Forge, Theatre, a Firefight esque mode, Multiplayer and Campaign into the first game they made, but because of who they are doing a cover for we expect so much more lol.

I hope you guys read these posts together because this is the same type of excuses we've been making over the years.. When is it not going to be acceptable?

Is this what you mean Bobs?

(im joking)

Actually no lol, Hired N00bs is pretty spot on - it really is crazy to think about just how much has changed on the back end and just how good the end product is.

I mean im shocked that 343 put Forge, Theatre, a Firefight esque mode, Multiplayer and Campaign into the first game they made, but because of who they are doing a cover for we expect so much more lol.

As much as I like the game though im not going to SLRP to the point where I act like I don't understand the complaints. Everyone in here seems like a damn politician with an agenda lol. Would be nice if people could just be honest and agree with points that they agree with rather than argue everything because they are on one side of the fence and the other dude is historically on the other.

I might not agree with Bigshow, but the people who are constantly jumping on him because they are unable to understand his simple posts are just as bad. (Not just talking about you Hydra, but I am getting pretty sick of watching some people throw salt over everything, and then other people feign stupidity in order to argue semantics to tell those people not to throw salt.)

The fuck are you on about? It's a genuine fucking post. It's an analogy I can totally relate to and I think it's essentially the situation BigShow is in. Call it what you want but stop implying I'm always jumping on people who don't follow the same views as I do. Stahp.

BigShow36

I typically can buy into of your critiques- but when you bring this up I don't get it. In general I feel COD makes every player feel like a superstar. MW1 was pretty awesome- but I've felt every version since has been a sniper in the weeds, call in the nuke festival. The skill gaps you talk about are practically nil.

So I'm not quite sure why you are so concerned H4 is supposedly moving in this direction, or, in other words, why BLOPS2 is a preferable option.

It's hard to explain, but Halo is moving towards CoD in every aspect other than the one that matters; kill speed.

It really does drastically affect what an individual can and can't do and how games played out. I used to be one of the biggest CoD critics out there. But then I couldn't stand Halo 2 after a while, and it was really my only outlet.

Just an example, in CoD, if I have great aim I can pull off rapid-twitch shots through angles and small environment windows that most other people can't pull off. I can flank an enemy position as an individual player and take out 3, 4 or even 5 guys if I react quickly and have great aim.

I can't do that anymore in Halo unless I have a power weapon. It's not that I'm not a good team player or don't like teamwork; its essential in CoD just like in Halo. I find, like I explained before, that games where individuals can be effective forces are more diverse, engaging and fun in general. It took me a long time to accept CoD though; I got frustrated by how easy it was to aim and kill people and how a lot of time it turned into who sees who first. But in the end, I realized it was more fun than Halo where every encounter turns into frustration.

Like I said though, it's hard to explain.

The fuck are you on about? It's a genuine fucking post. It's an analogy I can totally relate to and I think it's essentially the situation BigShow is in. Call it what you want but stop implying I'm always jumping on people who don't follow the same views as I do. Stahp.

Sorry if I misunderstood, but it seemed like you where throwing that analogy out there to have a dig at the guy. Someone else made a similar post yesterday about how he should probably just go find another game.

Flipyap

I have a plan, listen carefully to me guys.

We will be creating 10 or more spinoff forum/sites.

These sites will be named something like skillrankshub.com, theaterhub.com, 60fpshalohub.com, classicflaghub, assaulthub, markVhub, nofuckingjetpackshub, etc, etc.

We will relocate 15 halogaffers to each and call them successful thriving halo communities.

It's the one way to get the developers to pay attention to decent features or not cut stuff, we must do this.
That's a solid plan, but they might see through your clever ruse if you don't include at least one nonsensical gimmick gametype.

beamishmophub.com

(it's basically just griffball, but all players have to wear EVA)

TheOddOne

I hate posting these kind of posts, but I just have to..
To be fair, the public knows very little about the actual development of games. Developers also have to speak as a united front to the outside public, even though there are a wide array of opinion within the studio itself. Even though we think they are just "bullshitting", there are people who are more critical then us on the team. We might joke about stuff like "not enough bandwidth", but in reality sometimes it just that. That is not saying they didn't want it, development can be really problematic.

It is always important to look two sides of the coin, even when you are look at it super critical. This doesn't mean you can't be critical though, air your opinion out regardless. There is always something in it.

m23

No upgrades to Theater mode.....I am disappoint.

So about that panel tomorrow, can we expect it to be live streamed? I doubt it will, but some confirmation would be good.

Sorry if I misunderstood, but it seemed like you where throwing that analogy out there to have a dig at the guy. Someone else made a similar post yesterday about how he should probably just go find another game.

That's the beauty of my analogy. With that band you always think you should just go but you never want to miss the return of what made the band so great. So you stick around and somtimes you just shake your head at what the albums become.

I hope you guys read these posts together because this is the same type of excuses we've been making over the years.. When is it not going to be acceptable?

Not saying its an excuse, but you have to give them credit. They are packing a whole lot of content into what is essentially the first game they are putting out.

As Halo fans we expect and demand more though.

That's the beauty of my analogy. With that band you always think you should just go but you never want to miss the return of what made the band so great. So you stick around and somtimes you just shake your head at what the albums become.

I dont think anyone expects to simultaneously shake their head at what the albums become whilst still really enjoying it though. I feel really conflicted lol - because its a damn good album, but its not what I want the album to be.

Maybe there should be a album and a mixtape?

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
I have a plan, listen carefully to me guys.

We will be creating 10 or more spinoff forum/sites.

These sites will be named something like skillrankshub.com, theaterhub.com, 60fpshalohub.com, classicflaghub, assaulthub, markVhub, nofuckingjetpackshub, etc, etc.

We will relocate 15 halogaffers to each and call them successful thriving halo communities.

It's the one way to get the developers to pay attention to decent features or not cut stuff, we must do this.
I'll go register:

firecertainaffinityforgeneedscolorandmapsshouldnotbeonboringlocationsalsovisualskillranksanddedishub.com

edit: weird how that's spaced inspite of no spacing ^

TheOddOne

I dont think anyone expects to simultaneously shake their head at what the albums become whilst still really enjoying it though. I feel really conflicted lol - because its a damn good album, but its not what I want the album to be.

Maybe there should be a album and a mixtape?
Album: Reach.
Mixtape: ODST.

I liked the mixtape more.

Amazing Mic

Neo Member
Like I said though, it's hard to explain.

Kill times in standard COD drove me nuts- I always had to play hardcore. It worked though because it had the population to support it.

That's why I'm tolerant of these changes in H4. I think/hope they will help the population. While I agree with you on many of your gameplay critiques, I'd argue the vast majority of players aren't you- they will be drawn to the bells and whistles. I know you are immediately thinking "they don't have to be mutually exclusive"- but I think what I've seen is a step in the right direction, both gameplay-wise and hopefully population wise, so I can still go into my hardcore/classic/competitve playlists and not have to wait a year to find a game because the gametype has 50 people.

All that said, my biggest concern is having my balls busted once that launch gametype list comes out. The longer this goes on the worse I feel about it.

BigShow36

Kill times in standard COD drove me nuts- I always had to play hardcore. It worked though because it had the population to support it.

See, I'm kind of odd. I actually wanted kill times to be a little longer in standard CoD so that there would be more incentive to aim for the head and it would reward good aim more. I hated hardcore because it really did turn into who sees who first and people getting spray-across-the-map kills.

To be fair, the public knows very little about the actual development of games. Developers also have to speak as a united front to the outside public, even though there are a wide array of opinion within the studio itself. Even though we think they are just "bullshitting", there are people who are more critical then us on the team.

It is always important to look two sides of the coin, even when you are look at it super critical. This doesn't mean you can't be critical though, air your opinion out regardless. There is always something in it.
Not saying its an excuse, but you have to give them credit. They are packing a whole lot of content into what is essentially the first game they are putting out.

As Halo fans we expect and demand more though.

Totally understandable, which is why I always find myself giving slack to "bad" design choices. If this same thing occurred in other franchises where you're only a little interested in, people would skip right over it and probably never return.

^Thinking about it now, this was one of Reach's biggest problems. People moderately interested in Halo played Reach (a more militaristic and grounded Halo experience) and decided "Hmm, I'll just stick to my favorite military shooter instead." Halo 4 is doing so many things right that fans have been asking for over the years, whether directly (faster gameplay) or things they didn't know they wanted (custom loadouts), that I'll look past things like not being able to drop the flag.

My concern though is at what point will I finally be fully comfortable with a Halo game that I don't need to make these kind of excuses ;[

-EDIT-

Welp didn't wanna soil the party last night, but it seems like the Waypoint honeymoon phase is over.. Back to inconsistencies.

That's why I'm tolerant of these changes in H4. I think/hope they will help the population. While I agree with you on many of your gameplay critiques, I'd argue the vast majority of players aren't you- they will be drawn to the bells and whistles. I know you are immediately thinking "they don't have to be mutually exclusive"- but I think what I've seen is a step in the right direction, both gameplay-wise and hopefully population wise, so I can still go into my hardcore/classic/competitve playlists and not have to wait a year to find a game because the gametype has 50 people.

All that said, my biggest concern is having my balls busted once that launch gametype list comes out. The longer this goes on the worse I feel about it.

Weird tangent but Hardcore CoD in my opinion ironically takes less skill than standard CoD though - it really does turn the game into pure camping.

Amazing Mic

Neo Member
Weird tangent but Hardcore CoD in my opinion ironically takes less skill than standard CoD though - it really does turn the game into pure camping.

Maybe it was the recoil in a lot of the guns. I always felt like I'd unload entire clips into a guy and have not the slightest idea if he was near death (or why he was still alive at that point).

Perhaps I'm just painting a picture of my apparent lack of skill at COD.

According to Reddit guy these are the game modes of Halo 4:

Slayer
Regicide
Capture The Flag
King of the Hill
Oddball
Dominion
Extraction
(new one)
Flood
Grifball

Don't know how the new gametype works.

Gametypes missing from Reach/H3:

Assault
Headhunter
Invasion
Juggernaut
VIP
Race
Stockpile
Territories

Would be cool if
Extraction
is like Invasion on Breakpoint. Capture a point, plant the bomb (OB skin),
extract
the Core and return it home!

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Need info on that new gametype asap! Someone ask him, I don't want to make a reddit account.

BigShow36

Sigh, these gametypes in Halo 4 sound like trash.

Slayer, King of the Hill, and Oddball look like the only ones I want to play at this point. I'm guessing they'll be in three different playlists along with Infitinty Slayer AR's only, Hotpotato and Single-territory with only Regen and AutoSentry loadouts. I love CTF, but I have absolutely no interest in being forced to wield a massively blooming pistol with an 8-round clip.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
According to Reddit guy these are the game modes of Halo 4:

Slayer
Regicide
Capture The Flag
King of the Hill
Oddball
Dominion
Extraction
(new one)
Flood
Grifball

Don't know how the new gametype works.

Gametypes missing from Reach/H3:

Assault
Headhunter
Invasion
Juggernaut
VIP
Race
Stockpile
Territories

I'm not seeing this at all on Reddit.

I just sent the guy a PM. Probably won't hear back because r/halo pretty much downvoted everything he said.

If I get anything I'll post it.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Assault was good... In halo 2 (like all the other game types except territories)

The bomb being slightly raised even if just a little caused mass chaos and hilarious scenarios which ended up with ultimate clutch or incredible disappointment

Halo 3s was fucking lame though

The whole contesting stuff being tossed away is still disappointing to this very day

That was the root cause of me finding so much enjoyment that I'll likely never experience again

*sigh*

Satchel

Banned
Beamish!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHA Just saw it now.

Headhunter is the only mode I'll miss if it's gone. The rest were shit anyway. I basically only play SWAT on Reach anyway.

At least the changes to CTF and Oddball will actually want to make me play those modes now, because they were basically shit beforehand.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Headhunter is the only mode I'll miss if it's gone. The rest were shit anyway. I basically only play SWAT on Reach anyway.

At least the changes to CTF and Oddball will actually want to make me play those modes now, because they were basically shit beforehand.
I used to like you.

Fracas

#fuckonami
Beamish!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHA Just saw it now.

welp
I wonder if ALL gametypes have an Infinity variant

I bet there's a variant in all playlists. However, I don't think the weighting will be that significant.

senador

Banned
Reddit is so dumb.

I'm glad he's getting down votes, its really rubbing me so wrong that he/people have it already and are out acting like they are doing the community a favor when its simply just them bragging about. No, its not because I'm jealous, but because its theft.

So many people on that thread are arguing that its fine and that he probably got it legitimately. So laughable. I would argue reddit is dumb in that regard. ;)

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2012/10/12/microsoft-investigating-possible-halo-4-leak.aspx

Vire

What a little shit...

That's all reddit. If I won't continue doing this AMA is because of people like "Terry_McGinnis", "theturban" or "juryben". I really wanted to have a great AMA with you guys, today I was going to answer in a more detailed way all of your questions, even with a streaming or videos, but at this point I'd rather play on my own or just give this information to the people who really deserve it.

Ironic coming from a guy who fucking stole the game.

I hope there is a special place in hell for people like this.

Top Bottom