• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT10| The Calm Before The Storm

Talents

Banned
GZeBw.png

why

Because he added 'Very rare' onto the title, and as everyone knows, doing that makes the price go up tenfold.

Part 2

-----------

iSlayer

This is a fun gametype if you’re just looking to have a bunch of nonsensical fun. I’m not too sure the competitive community will use it though. Mopping up kills to get ordnance is a joy. However, when playing the gametype, I wasn’t sure how many kills (is it kills?) it took to get the ordnance. I mean, the bar is handy, but it’s handy to know the precise whatever to get ordnance. I always got the Needler when it came up. The fucking Needler, man, great gun...wait, what was I saying? Oh...yeah...

Oddball

It’s back! Out of the few games of this I got to play, I was enjoying myself thoroughly. I love the new look of the skull.

I wasn’t able to throw the ball, so I can’t comment on that. I remember discussing Oddball with Bravo, though, and he brought up a good point that a player who has the ball could throw it to an opponent, catching that opponent off guard, and allowing player to kill him. I wonder how that dynamic will play out – seems like it’ll be a rarity because it sounds like it’d be hard to pull off. I didn’t see it happen in any of the games I played.

Speaking of the games I played, I did notice a potential problem with Oddball on Complex. There’s this one area that’s kind of like the bathroom area on Powerhouse where, once a team locks it down, it’s hard to get the ball back. It’s back where blue team spawns, the space that goes underground kind of. Umm...it’s hard to describe without any pictures.

Someone brought up a good point, I think it was biggy, that the games go a little too fast. I would agree with that. The games I played had two points being added to a team's score for every second the skull was held. It's a shame the games were so quick because I was having so much fun.

Player Movement

I’ll join the chorus of those who have played the game and say that 343 has nailed player movement in this game. I was jumping, strafing, and fighting other players just like I’ve been doing in Halo 3. It was lovely.

Sprint

As you all know – if you don’t, I’m about to refresh your memory – I’ve never been a huge fan of sprint. I don’t see it as a necessary addition to Halo. After spending some time with it, though, I don’t think I mind it at this point. Whatevs.

HUD Information

I wanted to make this its own section because I don’t think the information the player gets in her HUD* is presented particularly well. It might’ve been just me, but here’s the main problem I was having: Most of the time, there’s simply too much information being relayed to the player. Whether it was Oddball, CTF, or iSlayer, I felt like I was being bombarded by enough information to the point where my brain was forced to tune it all out. I was ignoring everything. Granted, it’s nowhere near as bad as Call of Duty’s, which I also tuned out, but from what I remember there was little clarity. Clarity is a huge part of Halo. Clarity in feedback, clarity in map design, and clarity in game information.

No, you don’t notice the white text. (That begs the following question: If players don’t notice it, why is it there?) For a standard headshot kill, you have the text in the middle with the points, you have X killed X text and the medal showing up at the right of the screen, and on top of all that that you could’ve gotten a triple kill, which will have Steitzer saying that out loud, more text in the middle of the screen, and another medal will pop up, along with who knows what like “Distraction!”.

I understand the need to convey how many points players are receiving given the progression system Halo 4 has, but telling how many points I’m accumulating isn’t critically relevant to the game at hand and would be better served, I feel, by summarizing it all in the post-game carnage report. I can never remember what points I got for what anyway.

Bungie was very good at delivering the most relevant, important information to the player, and doing so in a seemingly sparse way. I paid attention to it all. Putting aside some fun stuff like Steitzer saying "Triple kill!", just give me what I and my teammates need to know.

*As an aside to this, I also think Steitzer says too much. No, he’s not constantly talking in your ear, but there’s definitely a noticeable increase in how much he says, and I think it’s very close to the point of overusing him, if it isn’t already.

kylej

Banned
No, you don’t notice the white text. (That begs the following question: If players don’t notice it, why is it there?) For a standard headshot kill, you have the text in the middle with the points, you have X killed X text and the medal showing up at the right of the screen, and on top of all that that you could’ve gotten a triple kill, which will have Steitzer saying that out loud, more text in the middle of the screen, and another medal will pop up, along with who knows what like “Distraction!”.

RIP Halo

JHall

I'd really like to know what was the desicion behind not being knocked out of zoom and flinching.

Not being able to ping snipers out of scope (I don't care how bad the flinch is) really grinds my gears.

Well, I am now going to buy the Limited Edition console if I can make that much back.

At this point, it practically pays for itself. :lol

I have no idea what comes with the limited edition or from preordering at amazon.uk but I know for sure I'll be selling it to some fool.

Well, I am now going to buy the Limited Edition console if I can make that much back.

5VzSr.png

people would pay 150 dollars...for virtual armor...and theres still 9 days left in the auction.....

ಠ_ಠ

edit: the auction is seriously at 152.50 right now and going up. wat

5VzSr.png

people would pay 150 dollars...for virtual armor...and theres still 9 days left in the auction.....

ಠ_ಠ

I am literally making my Ebay post right now. New Halo 4 console for 200 dollars? Yes pls.

There was no turning back once Bish popped in. Dude just can't control himself.

Strike two.

I don't get how he did that. It is an online forum, I can't tell you how many times I have made a post then cancelled it afterwards...

Homeboyd

Have a banable outburst like that. Like I was saying, it is easier to exercise self control when posting on a forum, at least IMO.
Yeah those debate threads catch fire and people usually post reactionary responses for the most part. 99.999% of the comments promote others to chime in and jump on board with whatever/whoever is being slammed at the moment without much thought. He just got caught up in it (again) and went way overboard (again). If he didn't get the reactions he did from the other posters, he probably would've never realized he did anything wrong.

And then there was Bish.

Flipyap

*As an aside to this, I also think Steitzer says too much. No, he’s not constantly talking in your ear, but there’s definitely a noticeable increase in how much he says, and I think it’s very close to the point of overusing him, if it isn’t already.
I think they need to completely rewrite the @shitmysteitzersays and change the way they direct him saying it, if they're going to continue or try to expand on the idea of him being an actual character within the universe.
The parts where he, as a character, is speaking directly to you and giving you verbose orders make sense, but his classic Unreal Tournament announcer impersonation just doesn't work in that context - it's as if your training regimen has been entrusted to the biggest asshat on the ship. At some point your good ol' meta-game "Killtrocity" starts sounding a lot like "YOU KILLED HIM IN THE FACE, BRO! WOO!" (and then there are all those "yoinks", "flagsassinations" and "rooooad triiiiiips", which just sound stupid from the get-go).

Tawpgun

Good impressions Dax. Reminded me of one thing regarding sprint...

I felt more comfortable with sprint on reach, mainly due to it being on the bumper. Sometimes in reach sprint would glitch out and wouldn't "work" and I thought this happened more in Halo.4. Not sure if sprint was glitched or if it was just it being on the the stick...

I would start sprinting and randomly stop.

Fotos

I felt more comfortable with sprint on reach, mainly due to it being on the bumper. Sometimes in reach sprint would glitch out and wouldn't "work" and I thought this happened more in Halo.4. Not sure if sprint was glitched or if it was just it being on the the stick...

Thats why I will use Recon. It is more like Halo than any other setting.

heckfu

Banned
Apologies to EuroGAF for my twitter stream last night. You see I'm a minority in my state (where the majority of my followers are from) so I have the compulsion to be EXTRA vocal.

Overdoziz

Banned

I hated how they switched Sprint on Bumper Jumper from X to A. Screwed me over several times while playing. I'll get used to it but it would've made more sense if it was just X again and AAs being on A. Explain yourself 343!

Top Bottom