• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT10| The Calm Before The Storm

Honest opinion GAF...do I get the Halo 4 console...or a Surface RT?

I can only afford one. Obviously I already have a 360, so this effectively answers my own question right?

I can only afford one. Obviously I already have a 360, so this effectively answers my own question right?

Save yo money! If you could possibly go with either, that means you can live with neither. Sorry, I'm sure that's not helpful.

On the one hand getting another 360 seems pointless, and on the other I don't really care about surface PCs enough to recommend them. Don't get either and pocket that cash.

If you get the console anyway gimme the in-game emblem plox. <3

Maybe I'm weird, but I do this as well as cut and paste it into a txt file. Then I can go back and see what was running through my mind at that time.

I should probably do this. Sometimes I'll write something nasty or snarky, which makes me seem like the big Internet hero for all of 30 seconds, but that post is still there, hours later, hanging there in the air, all angry and mean. It would probably be better if I stored them away for a rainy day.

I hated how they switched Sprint on Bumper Jumper from X to A. Screwed me over several times while playing. I'll get used to it but it would've made more sense if it was just X again and AAs being on A. Explain yourself 343!
They kept AAs on X, it's consistent. ADAPT BRO

I should probably do this. Sometimes I'll write something nasty or snarky, which makes me seem like the big Internet hero for all of 30 seconds, but that post is still there, hours later, hanging there in the air, all angry and mean. It would probably be better if I stored them away for a rainy day.
There are some posts I've made on the internet with a certain headspace that I immediately regret the morning after. Going back just feels terrible.

heckfu

Banned
I hate those self-realization moments too.

Shadders

E5v9y.jpg

You know you want this.

Only $350 on Amazon too!

That gif at the top of the page is killing chrome. Shit's annoying as hell.
get the Adblock Plus add-on (keep it off for GAF), and you can block specific images/gifs.

Thanks for round 2 impressions, Dax. I agree completely with the HUD clutter comments and the announcer overuse.

Karl2177

I think the biggest downside is how often I do it. I have a folder in the tens of megabytes(which in txt files is massive) of just saved posts from a wide assortment of places.

Bsigg12

I say wait for the Surface pro which will be out early next year that runs a legitimate version of windows 8 with the ability to run actual PC applications. Its going to cost more but I think it's the only way to go.

Uh, no, it's pretty certain to be next fall.

There are rumors of it slipping to the spring of 2014 because of manufacturing issues.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
How is it pretty certain?

Reports from various sources, length of the generation already, the fact that they wouldn't give Nintendo more than a year alone, the fact that Sony is most likely coming next year as well. Also many manufacturing places have started working on the components.

Consoles will be unveiled at E3, and come out in November most likely. This could be wrong, but it's what looks most likely currently.

Booties

Banned
Reports from various sources, length of the generation already, the fact that they wouldn't give Nintendo more than a year alone, the fact that Sony is most likely coming next year as well. Also many manufacturing places have started working on the components.

Consoles will be unveiled at E3, and come out in November most likely. This could be wrong, but it's what looks most likely currently.

Why is microsoft wasting time making these LE consoles then? Wouldn't they know about xbox 720?

e, Besides the obvious reason.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Why is microsoft wasting time making these LE consoles then? Wouldn't they know about xbox 720?

e, Besides the obvious reason.

LE consoles sell a ton. The 360 will still be manufactured after the 720 (or whatever) comes out, albeit in smaller numbers. If you can make a profit off of LE bundles and people are still willing to buy the 360 (as they have been doing en mass) you keep making them.

The next system will be out next fall (most likely) and early adopters will snatch it up, but the 360 will still be supported (unlike the Xbox). That's what I see happening anyways.

Booties

Banned
LE consoles sell a ton. The 360 will still be manufactured after the 720 (or whatever) comes out, albeit in smaller numbers. If you can make a profit off of LE bundles and people are still willing to buy the 360 (as they have been doing en mass) you keep making them.

The next system will be out next fall (most likely) and early adopters will snatch it up, but the 360 will still be supported (unlike the Xbox). That's what I see happening anyways.

I see. Will the first iteration be backwards compatible? I doubt Microsoft will expect continued sales like the ps2 did.

Well in the last two weeks I have probably looped through all of the Halo Soundtracks at work about five times or so. They are all just soooooo damn good with ODST arguably stealing the show, which I think most people around here agree with. For those of you that have listened is the Halo 4 soundtrack going to be able to hold up?

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I see. Will the first iteration be backwards compatible? I doubt Microsoft will expect continued sales like the ps2 did.

It absolutely has to be backwards compatible. Look at Halo 4. No way they would drop support of Halo 4 one year after it launched. Unless they do a Halo 4.5 for the next system I would assume backwards compatibility.

It'll be interesting to see if they continue making 360s after the next one comes out. MS literally killed the original Xbox the day the 360 released. Although part of that was to get out of their terrible deal with nVidia.

Indeed, but the Xbox was not as popular then as the 360 is now. They have such a huge 360 install base now that they have to keep support going (and games coming) at least for the first year. I bet they go longer than that, but cut down the available 360 SKUs.

FyreWulff

It'll be interesting to see if they continue making 360s after the next one comes out. MS literally killed the original Xbox the day the 360 released. Although part of that was to get out of their terrible deal with nVidia.

Booties

Banned
It looks like another new microsoft system without a day 0 halo release.

Xbox live changed everything. Xbox was their first console and the 360 was more adaptable. Of course they stopped making that shit.

Miles X

Xbox live changed everything. Xbox was their first console and the 360 was more adaptable. Of course they stopped making that shit.

Good on MS for using common sense. Be crazy to launch with a Halo, userbase isn't there. Also it's a no brainer MS will support the 360 after 720 release, if they can crawl into the 90 - 100m mark they will, what a feat.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State

Yeah, unless they pull and ODST or Halo Wars 2 out of the air for next fall (what about Halo 2 Anniversary on the new system day 1?) they won't have a Halo game.

Booties

Banned
Good on MS for using common sense. Be crazy to launch with a Halo, userbase isn't there. Also it's a no brainer MS will support the 360 after 720 release, if they can crawl into the 90 - 100m mark they will, what a feat.

I disagree about the user base. On the other hand, it's more strategic for MS to have a halo 5 release <1 year after the new xbox to get a new wave of sales. This will make the end of year income statements look much better even with a ho-hum beginning.

Miles X

I disagree about the user base. On the other hand, it's more strategic for MS to have a halo 5 release <1 year after the new xbox to get a new wave of sales. This will make the end of year income statements look much better even with a ho-hum beginning.

You think it's gonna top out at 80m or something? It won't be far off that this year. And no it's a poor move to put Halo out fast, it's good for immediate sales but not for the long run. 2015 is the perfect time for Halo 5, put a Gears, Fable and Forza out before to drive core sales (amongst new IP and the like) Halo can wait for when MS need something bigger to push sales.

Booties

Banned
You think it's gonna top out at 80m or something? It won't be far off that this year. And no it's a poor move to put Halo out fast, it's good for immediate sales but not for the long run. 2015 is the perfect time for Halo 5, put a Gears, Fable and Forza out before to drive core sales (amongst new IP and the like) Halo can wait for when MS need something bigger to push sales.

isn't that what I said? maybe you thought I meant very soon, but even if it did, halo fans are price insensitive. Look at all the people buying the LE consoles and games?

FyreWulff

Well, there was also the fact that nVidia refused to ever drop their parts price with Microsoft since the contract stated they didn't have to, which kept the Xbox's price artificially high (since nVidia was keeping their component cost artificially high). Their gamble failed, Microsoft dropped them for ATI and sent them to the kid's table at the Direct X meetings.

It's one of those hidden turning points in the technology industry since it was only news if you were into the "inside baseball" aspect of the it, but nVidia totally shot themselves in the foot over the original Xbox. Very stupid on their part.

Tawpgun

I actually want to try out the CoD control scheme. With you no longer getting knocked out of scope, aiming with LT doesn't seem so bad.

It absolutely has to be backwards compatible. Look at Halo 4. No way they would drop support of Halo 4 one year after it launched. Unless they do a Halo 4.5 for the next system I would assume backwards compatibility.
It will be, there is no way it can't be with how massive with 360 install base is.

Oh, and I'm not sure if someone mentioned this, but there was also the massive presentation slides that got out about the new Xbox, and it was pretty clear that 2013 was the year. And as a final kicker, the Xbox buildings on the MS campus have begun to get locked down to only essential Xbox personal only.

But there may be Battlefield 4 (the real shit, 64 players) and Bungie new game as possible launch titles for very close to launch. I normally don't buy consoles at launch, but those two games at launch might make me bite.

Top Bottom