• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT10| The Calm Before The Storm

blamite

Well, shit. Just how spoilerific is it before I click play? I assume it can't be that bad since it's released by Microsoft.
I don't think it's spoilery at all. I'd guess it's more like an alternate possibility from what happens in the game, like the battle in the Believe diorama. Can't be sure, but I doubt the events in the trailer happen in-game.

DJ88

Yeah the John on the beach scene looked a little off, but the rest was awesome. Mainly the Chief fighting the knights.

Yeah all the stuff about him becoming a Spartan was kind of pointless, and it didn't end with the Halo theme which would have made it so much more epic. Still pretty cool though.

I would've liked to see something more about how Master Chief actually obtained his status/rank, I don't follow the lore closely so it would be cool to see why he is who he is. Although I realize it may be something hard to portray in such a short time.

Edit:
and I don't think that was his life flashing before it was his eyes, it was Didact scanning his memories.
I spoiler tagged this (a little late) even though its in the trailer, cause it does give away a little.

Ken

That was okay.

I don't really know if most people care about the whole process of John becoming a Spartan. People on lab tables injected with stuff, getting their armor...we saw this with Carter in one Reach ad already, even if he isn't in the same Spartan line as the Chief.

Needed more shootbang with Fall of Reach multiple Spartan battles and the like, IMO. Basically what we read about in the novels but have yet to really see.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Loved that armor scene straight from the concept art. Also, the action scene was sick. The Knights look really good.

My friend who is playing it has confirmed the rumor was true.

He also said if you are building a map, the magnet tool becomes a huge mess because it tries to connect to all of these objects you have around, and it takes like 30 seconds to finally get it on the one you want.

So why doesn't he just turn off magnets...

RAg3Q.jpg

*snickers*

*sigh* Would love to get impressions on how well textures work together, the objects on the grid, the object sizing, etc. Guess I'll have to wait til I get first hand experience.

To be completely honest, I wouldn't have watched it had I known what was in it.

It's my personal advice to enjoy the trailer after playing the game.

Too late. Yeah, that was a bit spoilerish.

I was hyped for it, but it did nothing for me.

On a side note: If a director is filming a movie/short based on a first-person shooter, why do they feel inclined to include first-person shots? It takes me out of the experience. I wouldn't expect a film based on Gears of War to give me an over-the-shoulder moment. It's a little pet peeve of mine.

m23

The music seems really off. I think that hurts it.

Totally agree, better music would have made this a lot better. Definitely did not meet my expectations. Still good though, but they've done better trailers.

By the way, was it just a coincidence that sltpoison was asking for that concept art with technicians around Chief?

The game is rated M for mature audience. I'm sure this ad won't be played by day.

Its the main trailer for the game that they went and got Hollywood directors to produce. You think that would be wasted on this fuckin idiot Jimmy Fallon?

It supposed to hype for Halo 4, you have no idea who he is fighting and the flashback scenes make no fuckin sense unless you know the canon inside out.

I don't think its piss poor but those Bungie spots always got my hype, the music everything. This was more like wtf?

malfcn

So, in case it wasn't posted. You can walk into a MS store and do a Bing challenge and get $25 credit. I don't have a store near me. Anyone want to walk in and Bing, then pick up a War Games Season pass for free? Some people can do it multiple times too. And if someone could hook me up..

Well. The armor looked decent live action.. CG was ok. Pacing was weird, just felt off altogether. No nerd chills from this ad. None at all. =(

The music seems really off. I think that hurts it.

Music was so... blah. Do they not realize what made the past ads so great? If the ad is supposed to show the brutal history of the Spartans make it brutally tragic. Not some tense fighting music. In fact, music like that in Deliver Hope or Birth of a Spartan would have been amazing. But we got this meh-fest instead.

At least there's Forward Unto Dawn tomorrow! lol

Hah. I know. Who would have thought that would have the potential to deliver a more enjoyable story.

The production quality on that trailer was nice and all, but it had no impact. The short combat scene was kinda cool I guess but nothing stood out to me and I didn't get chills.

Vire

Man I expected so much more from Fincher and crew. Pretty disappointing to be honest.

Now I know why they released it during a re-run...

senador

Banned
Wow I really liked that save for seeing the dude that is presumably Chief? I would have preferred not to see his head at all. Besides that though, I really liked it. :)

Top Bottom