• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT12| Last One Out, Get the Lights

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
The ones where you looked out and didn't see a compressed JPEG as a sad excuse for environment art. And yes, I am going to defend the shit out of Bungie's environments.
Well, if you want, we can have a battle to see who is more delusional and I'll defend 343's. Let me throw my head in a barrel of ice for a bit.

Well, if you want, we can have a battle to see who is more delusional and I'll defend 343's. Let me throw my head in a barrel of ice for a bit.

haha holy shit. Like, it is honestly a joke if you think 343 created better skyboxes than Bungie. Let's use Halo 2, that is right, TWO as an example. In Halo 2, that environment way out there, yeah, that is REAL geometry. Let me try that same thing in Halo 4, oh that's right, I can't climb up a pixelated image that is a sad excuse for a mountain.

ibeZMJamjsZhL1.png

J10

Banned
It's like the design philosophy at 343 is let's take everything that Bungie did well and try to fuck it up beyond repair.

It's like the design philosophy at 343 is let's take everything that Bungie did well and try to fuck it up beyond repair.
This. So much stuff that was basically perfect in Halo 3/Reach design wise, and they went and fucked it up anyway. Why did you not give us a beta, 343? WHY?

On a related note, the HUD clutter is unbelievable. I nearly had a seizure in my first game. Capture points A, B, C, ordnance weapons 1,2,3,4,5,6, every kill earns me at least two medals, my earned EXP pop up too of course, and so on.
Maybe I'm getting old, but the HUD is just way too busy, visually.

Friendly fire makes sense for BTB, except it only applies to weapons. Team mates can stick and destroy your vehicle and you can accidentally run over your team.

Just had a griefer EMP my banshee and destroy it.

Sai-kun

Banned
haha holy shit. Like, it is honestly a joke if you think 343 created better skyboxes than Bungie. Let's use Halo 2, that is right, TWO as an example. In Halo 2, that environment way out there, yeah, that is REAL geometry. Let me try that same thing in Halo 4, oh that's right, I can't climb up a pixelated image that is a sad excuse for a mountain.

oh man i sure love staring and shitty at low res looking play areas!!! that's my favorite!

Redford

aka Cabbie

I guess. I mean, it's pretty simple to make a weapon not-bloom/spread. But the gun balance is still commendable.

MrBig

Holy shit, no wonder you removed theater from Campaign and Spartan Ops. I wouldn't want people capturing high res in game screenshots of this shit either. RIP Bungie environments...

Yep. They sacrificed the detail of Bungie's legendary skyboxes in order to increase the detail of the gameplay environment. The 2D skyboxes of the SP and MP are huge detractors from the rest of the art.

PC release please, that uses the original art those 2D skyboxes were rendered from.

ElRenoRaven

Yep. They sacrificed the detail of Bungie's legendary skyboxes in order to increase the detail of the gameplay environment. The 2D skyboxes of the SP and MP are huge detractors from the rest of the art.

PC release please, that uses the original art those 2D skyboxes were rendered from.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Yea Halo 3, Reach, ODST weren't released on PC. Halo 4 sure as hell won't. The day Microsoft decides to actually put Halo back on the PC is the day hell freezes over. And yes yes I'm still bitter about how Halo 2 was handled and the fact that they basically told PC fans to go fuck themselves after Halo 2 Vista.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
The Suppressor is a beast at very close range. I made a BR/Suppressor loadout with Firepower just to get kills with it, haha. I love it.

Anyone else have weird issues with Exile? I had a few games where the game was lagging/stuttering slightly. At first I thought it was my connection, but then I noticed that A) all games on Exile were laggy and B) all laggy games were on Exile.
What's up with that?

Tawpgun

It's excruciatingly slow. I wanted to play a game before I left for work, but waited so long I had to turn it off because I wouldnt be able to finish the game in time.

Ryaaan14

Banned
Anyone else have weird issues with Exile? I had a few games where the game was lagging/stuttering slightly. At first I thought it was my connection, but then I noticed that A) all games on Exile were laggy and B) all laggy games were on Exile.
What's up with that?
Huge frame rate drops on Exile in Dominion for sure. Gets to be a huge clusterfuck once vehicles are out and everyone is rushing B.

Well yea it's slow but the quality of matches have been pretty good for me. As long as that keeps happening, I'm fine. What's the terrible part?

Well I guess I haven't played enough but the settings are wonky, it gives you super uneven games, and sometimes it gives you games where you dont even have an enemy team...

Ken

Huge frame rate drops on Exile in Dominion for sure. Gets to be a huge clusterfuck once vehicles are out and everyone is rushing B.

Random: Was watching Giant Bomb's Halo 4 TNT and they were getting really low framerates with 16 players on Exile and Complex (and other maps too I think) the entire time so they had to switch over to 8 player stuff. I'm curious to see if the same thing happens to GAF customs.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Well I guess I haven't played enough but the settings are wonky, it gives you super uneven games, and sometimes it gives you games where you dont even have an enemy team...

Yea both of those have happened to me. Usually when a match ends I back out and start again just so it doesn't start a game with no opponents. I seriously don't know how it could start a match with uneven teams. Ya, those things suck. DAT POLISH!

J10

Banned
I guess. I mean, it's pretty simple to make a weapon not-bloom/spread. But the gun balance is still commendable.

I agree. I've said before the guns all behave beautifully. It's almost everything else surrounding them that I have issues with. I'm going to have to learn to love Slayer Pro I guess.

Ryaaan14

Banned
I think Juices ran into some Exile framerate drops last good, for like...no reason. There wasn't any vehicles or action.

That's odd, I have not experienced that yet. Any time I've seen drops, it's from action and only lasts 3-5 seconds. Pretty much par for the course though, haven't seen any unwarranted drops of any sort.

For me, games on Exile are slightly stuttery from the get-go. I'm not one to notice low FPS counts normally, but I'd say the average FPS rate in my Exile games was below 25, with nasty dips to sub-20.
What's odd is that the map isn't even pretty or huge. The ground textures are fugly, and the map isn't any bigger than other BTB maps.

Finished campaign (solo Legendary). I think some of the more boring parts would have been better on Heroic, but it hit a pretty nice groove there for levels 4-7 (last level was pretty bad: although
the trench run was a nice novelty, the rest felt like a grind, and then the 'boss fight' was a QTE LOLOLOL
). Not gonna be my all-time favourite Halo campaign, and some sections and overarching design decisions just seem to miss what is fun about Halo as opposed to other shooters. Also the plot didn't make much sense to me without having read all the ancillary material (and watched the terminals, I guess).

But overall I felt it lived up to the legacy pretty well, and I'm sure 343 will only get better at this.

oh man i sure love staring and shitty at low res looking play areas!!! that's my favorite!

That's besides the point Sai and you know it. Exploring the environments in Halo 2, 3, and Reach was possible simply because Bungie created an explorable world outside the playable space. This isn't even possible anymore because what were once beautifully rendered environments that stretched as far as we could see, have been replaced with compressed images. Should be a pretty easy complaint to understand... And definitely not one that deserves mockery.

Tawpgun

Base gameplay is THERE. Slayer Pro is evidence of that.

But some serious stuff needs to be changed. Get rid if inf slayer in BTB for one. If you can't separate gametypes from matchmaking hoppers, then make a BTB Slayer and BTB CTF.

5sk feels really crappy - hard to keep track of enemy's shield states - stronger visual ques would go a long way to helping this.

I feel like I need to take a day or two off and enjoy it when I'm more relaxed - been on like zero sleep - once im feeling less shitty in general I may enjoy the game more

Top Bottom