• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT13|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trey

I don't even know what you're trying to say here

Awareness in Halo is almost completely team based. Communication. Knowing probable spawns is the closest thing to a skill gap.

CS has a crucial adherence to audio which provides a much greater skill buffer when it comes to awareness.

Enfinit

Just picked up ACIII and Forza from Best Buy for $40 each. They're buy two get one free for used games (I grabbed FIFA for the free one), however because of their return policy, games have to be unopened to be returned. So basically their used games are ones that people bought, didn't open, and returned. AND all three games were cheaper than GameStop used.

Although the selection isn't that great, it's the best place to get newer games. Pleasantly surprised when I left the store.

What kind of game is Persona 4 Golden? I've been playing Virtue's Last Reward on Vita lately and loving it, might order Persona next.
The best god damn game. AM I RIGHT KEN?!?

It's a fun turn based jrpg with a meta-level Pokémon-esc twist and a lot of character interaction, set in a town in modern Japan.
I highly recommend it.

It takes 2 or 3 hours to properly get going, but if you're willing to get past that (and you probably are used to listening characters talk back and forth (as I'm guessing now that you're into VLR), it should grab you.

Striker

Radar:
-Discourages movement
-Decreases the awareness skillgap
-Encourages camping
-Makes communication less vital
Since the initial discussion was ranting over Construct and radar, the lifts on that map were the ones which encouraged camping. Things like that never fly especially with radar turned on, and it was total garbage to play.

Radar is just one thing. Kill times, melee and most of the game's map design have been as equally damaging to gameplay, if not more, as its progressed.

Awareness in Halo is almost completely team based. Communication. Knowing probable spawns is the closest thing to a skill gap.

CS has a crucial adherence to audio which provides a much greater skill buffer when it comes to awareness.
There is still room for individual awareness. You can still hear people's footsteps in Halo, that's one of the main reasons why people wear headsets at high levels of play. It also helps to hear when a grenade has landed near you. Saying there's no awareness skill gap in halo is ridiculous. There's an awareness skill gap in every shooter.

That gap is greatly reduced when there's radar. Why listen for the footsteps of an enemy coming up behind you when you can just look at your radar and see them there? With Halo 4, you don't even have to be that aware of grenades around you since the game shows you where they are.

Since the initial discussion was ranting over Construct and radar, the lifts on that map were the ones which encouraged camping. Things like that never fly especially with radar turned on, and it was total garbage to play.

Radar is just one thing. Kill times, melee and most of the game's map design have been as equally damaging to gameplay, if not more, as its progressed.
I wasn't really ranting, just bringing up an example. The point is you can't really camp when there isn't radar. Radar is what enables camping.

wwm0nkey

What kind of game is Persona 4 Golden? I've been playing Virtue's Last Reward on Vita lately and loving it, might order Persona next.

Its a JRPG but it focuses more on story and character interaction, obviously has the RPG elemets but it all works together so damn well. Would also say its my GOTY as well.

Also Strangers Wrath on the Vita is pretty nice too :)

Moa

I think it scales depending on how many people you have. It's normal for 2, Heroic for 3 and Legendary if you have the full 4.

I'd really like to see limited lives added to Spartan Ops, maybe as a setting like choosing difficulty as opposed to always on. If you had to manage how many times you died it would play very differently. As it stands I'll let myself get killed just so I can get more ammo and grenades..
Legendary - 4 or 3 players
Heroic - 2 or 1 player(s)

Overdoziz

Banned

Being aware of where enemies and teammates are, where they are going and what they are doing is all part of awareness. Keeping track of when weapons spawn, what's happening with the objective and where you are on the map (especially on maps like Wizard) is also part of it. Some people have no idea of what's happening around them and others are much better at keeping track. There's a gap between the players skill level in that regard: skillgap.

Rev3rb

I'm starting to miss Reach a little.

ngbbs4e217c9aad0cb.jpg

GhaleonEB

It was fine when it was short range and hazy like in CE. By now you might as well have markers indicating where everyone is at all times. Radar's shit.
I liked it when it was a simpler pro/con proposition: when moving, you are visible on it. When crouch walking, you are not. You trade off speed for visibility. I liked it a lot in Halo 1-3, and even in Reach, despite the vertical indicators. After a short adjustment period, I concluded Halo 4's was busy trying to pack way too much information into it. It's a massive range, provides vertical information, and adds info like idle vehicles and such. Like the rest of the UI it's just too busy and it's lost that simpler, more streamline functionality it originally provided. (Which sort of describes Halo 4 as a whole.)

I hated no radar Halo games. In part because my situational awareness is probably below par. But more simply, it was a tool, and I liked it and used it and think of it as an important part of the combat design. Taking it away, I felt arbitrarily crippled.

I think Halo 3's radar is a lot better than Reach's or 4's, for that matter. It was so much shorter ranged. I'm always surprised when I go back to 3 how short-range the radar is

Overdoziz

Banned
I hated no radar Halo games. In part because my situational awareness is probably below par. But more simply, it was a tool, and I liked it and used it and think of it as an important part of the combat design. Taking it away, I felt arbitrarily crippled.
Radar is a crutch for the elderly and less fortunate!
I think Halo 3's radar is a lot better than Reach's or 4's, for that matter. It was so much shorter ranged. I'm always surprised when I go back to 3 how short-range the radar is
I remember the radar in the Pax (?) build still being very small. It felt pointlessly small actually, although you could've been just because we played FFA on Longbow.

Now that's just mean.

But... but... if you just turned 40... that means you were, what... 5, at the time? Geez.
4, actually. It was THE defining moment in my short life, obviously.

I think it scales depending on how many people you have. It's normal for 2, Heroic for 3 and Legendary if you have the full 4.

I'd really like to see limited lives added to Spartan Ops, maybe as a setting like choosing difficulty as opposed to always on. If you had to manage how many times you died it would play very differently. As it stands I'll let myself get killed just so I can get more ammo and grenades..
Is that how it is now, because it wasn't like that before last week (man, Waypoint stats for SpOps are really poorly laid out). It was Heroic all the time, every time.

I guess that makes u old and a paedo
This coming from a guy with a huge-boobed videogame chick for an avatar.

GhaleonEB

You know that's not true.
I don't, actually. I think as originally designed it's an important part of the HUD and overall gameplay design, and I used it. There's nothing wrong with no-HUD games or with disliking it, any more than any other custom or community game type. But my point is, if you use it as part of playing the game, and it's taken away, it feels crippling. Which is my perspective.

You think it's a crutch and don't like it. That's fine. But it's not the only answer.

And while we're on it, to the AR or BR debate, it depends.

They should have made the motion tracker fade in/out of the HUD based on YOUR movement as a player. As you walk/sprint, tracker is engaged. You stop, it starts to fade from the HUD until you moved again. It has no canonical (or even practical) reason to exist the way it does, but what the hell.

So do we get a bulletin today?
It's only Tuesday.
right?

They should have made the motion tracker fade in/out of the HUD based on YOUR movement as a player. As you walk/sprint, tracker is engaged. You stop, it starts to fade from the HUD until you moved again. It has no canonical (or even practical) reason to exist the way it does, but what the hell.

It's only Tuesday.
right?

HUD is powered by friction generated though movement.

Toa TAK

Banned

It's only Tuesday.
right?

I thought it was Wednesday with the occasional Thursday.

What? The camping that radar rewards is only possible through radar. At least without it you'd have to check your back every now and then if you wanted to do that, unless you have someone taking the 5 minutes to crawl at you outside of radar's reach.

So anyone who likes radar on must be a camper right?

Ridiculous logic. Radar has been in general settings since halo 1. Its meant to be used as an aid. If your sitting there staring at the radar the whole time, or if anyone is. Well your plain doing it wrong.

Overdoziz

Banned
I don't, actually. I think as originally designed it's an important part of the HUD and overall gameplay design, and I used it. There's nothing wrong with no-HUD games or with disliking it, any more than any other custom or community game type. But my point is, if you use it as part of playing the game, and it's taken away, it feels crippling. Which is my perspective.

You think it's a crutch and don't like it. That's fine. But it's not the only answer.

And while we're on it, to the AR or BR debate, it depends.
You were saying it's as much a crutch as the other HUD elements though, which I disagree with. An obvious example is the weapon indicator which, if removed, won't impact the game at all. I don't see stuff like the ammo count, reticule and shield/health indicator as crutches either because it's impractical to keep track of those things on your own which definitely isn't the case with the radar.

I can understand that it can feel crippling for people who aren't used to it, though. The punishment for not being aware of your surroundings can be much more severe. It changes the game a great deal and I feel like it opens up the game in many more and better ways than stuff like perks, AAs and loadouts ever will. For you it feels crippling, but for me it feels liberating.

Or we could have normal radar in all playlists and no radar in MLG. I like playing both with radar and without radar and the MLG playlist seemed like a good solution to me in the past.

I wouldn't mind seeing radar go away if only because it does make camping easier, not to say that using it means you're a camper. But I do hate campers, and it makes their life so much easier to see movement around them before crouching to strike.

But I don't see that happening in any loadout playlists because of the awareness and sensor perks. Those perks really paint 343 into a corner with a great many things.

Ridiculous logic. Radar has been in general settings since halo 1. Its meant to be used as an aid. If your sitting there staring at the radar the whole time, or if anyone is. Well your plain doing it wrong.
No, but you must like a system that only serves to benefit them for whatever reason. The whole thing discourages movement and rewards being stationary/slow. Radar was okay in CE because it was shorter ranged and limited in detail, but it definitely didn't need the buffs it's been getting.

That's not what he's saying at all. He's saying that it isn't possible to camp like that without radar. He's not saying anyone who likes radar is a camper, he's saying if you're a camper you like radar

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
funny, all my no radar matches seem to see a whole lot less map movement, ie, more camping. people just seem to back into a corner and wait for someone to enter their field of view. also, lack of radar means a bigger reliance on teammates - which for me is never a good thing.

i also like radar as it adds crouch walking into the mix.

People are going to camp regardless though. I understand it helps them, but if people already use that playstyle radar on or off wont stop that.

Its as simple as the boltshot thing, runnging around a corner carelessly gives boltshotters and campers the advantage, regardless of radar or not.

Play smart.

I like radar because being in a firefight, a quick glance in the corner can give vital information on whats happening. How many ememies your facing, where your teamates are, and most importantly if your getting flanked and an assassination is looming.

Edit: Id also argue that no radar would indeed make more people camp and corner hug, waiting for people to run by and then score an easy assassination. Radar does more good than bad.

funny, all my no radar matches seem to see a whole lot less map movement, ie, more camping. people just seem to back into a corner and wait for someone to enter their field of view. also, lack of radar means a bigger reliance on teammates - which for me is never a good thing.
Seems like a riskier proposition without radar. All you can use at that point is game audio and callouts right? So it'd require teamwork, a solid sound setup, and patience. And even then the silent footfalls perk would help avoid a lot of these traps.

That's a lot more work than looking at your motion sensor and seeing a dot coming your way.

Edit: Id also argue that no radar would indeed make more people camp and corner hug, waiting for people to run by and then score an easy assassination. Radar does more good than bad.
They do this already. Not sure why people would do this more. No motion sensor means that a lot more of the time its time wasted to crouch behind that doorway because you have no good way of telling whether enemies are heading your way, much less a lone wolf.

Overdoziz

Banned
Radar in Halo 1 was okay because you were playing 4-player splitscreen on an SD tv with AR starts on Sidewinder against your awful friends while screenwatching. Plus, it didn't interrupt the gameplay of the ram-warthogs-into-each-other-at-full-speed-on-BloodGulch gametype so it was all good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom