• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT13|

Status
Not open for further replies.
The poor DLC pop. has to have something to do with the whole try and play disaster. Alot of people never bothered to pay after getting them free...

And then have them taken away.

With a bullshit MS PR excuse

Reach may have been plagued by bad design and gameplay elements (for a Halo game) but it was one of the most polished games I've ever played.

Halo 4 however, rivals Halo 2. Halo 2 being more unpolished in the gameplay and Halo 4 being more unpolished in everywhere else.
I dunno, vehicles getting randomly tossed into the stratosphere and things like the Revanant's passenger side giving a sniper user hacking aim or having AI repeatedly drive you off cliffs and to your death really make me disagree. I guess it depends on the bell curve we're using here but Reach was plenty jank outside of terrible design.

Omni

Hype in never unwarranted, but keep things in perspective and don’t go overboard.

Yah. It honestly seems like people are expecting a Halo 2.0... which is a tad unreasonable, I think. A lot has changed since Bungie came up with the Halo IP. I can see a lot of bitching about it all in the future when people let their expectations get the better of them.

So GAF, who wants to recommend me a decent wired Xbox headset?

Turtle Beach PX21. It's comfortable as the most expensive Astros and works for the 360, PC, and PS3, and has 360 mic support. They run for around $80, depends where you get them.

If I play Big Team, the DLC maps actually show pretty regularly, which is something that every Halo game prior to this one has failed horrifically at, so I don't know about the DLC performing horribly.

TheOddOne

If I play Big Team, the DLC maps actually show pretty regularly, which is something that every Halo game prior to this one has failed horrifically at, so I don't know about the DLC "performing horribly".
Noticed it too. Usually the LDC shows up with either Vortex, Exile or Longbow as a third option. I'm very pleased about how well it's been implemented.

Omni

If I play Big Team, the DLC maps actually show pretty regularly, which is something that every Halo game prior to this one has failed horrifically at, so I don't know about the DLC performing horribly.

I haven't played on a DLC map since MS revoked access to those who got it for free. They don't come up in other playlists and being an Australian means that any playlist with only like ~300 people on it (the DLC playlist) is going to be incredibly laggy and unplayable... which means I can't play on the maps, period.

Seems pretty horrible to me. I seriously gotta keep a little sticky note reminding myself to never buy DLC for a Halo game in advance again. This is almost as bad as Reach.

TheOddOne

I haven't played on a DLC map since MS revoked access to those who got it for free. They don't come up in other playlists and being an Australian means that any playlist with only like ~300 people on it (the DLC playlist) is going to be incredibly laggy and unplayable... which means I can't play on the maps, period.

Seems pretty horrible to me. I seriously gotta keep a little sticky note reminding myself to never buy DLC for a Halo game in advance again. This is almost as bad as Reach.
I want to sound like a dick, but no shit? You need to own the DLC to actually show up.

Well yeah, but the implementation alone makes it better than any other DLC since Halo 2. If DLC isn't implemented well (paywalls for days on core lists in Halo 3 and no implementation in Reach), then it's worthless.

Very true. Its great to see them at least showing up. Real shame of how they did it with reach. The Dlc maps were great, too bad we never got to play them.

Halo3 was great when Heroic became free. Thats really the only way to do DLC right, paywall for a while, then free. Same as Halo2. Those days are long gone tho.

Well yeah, but the implementation alone makes it better than any other DLC since Halo 2. If DLC isn't implemented well (paywalls for days on core lists in Halo 3 and no implementation in Reach), then it's worthless.

I agree on the implementation, and yes I too vote for it when it's available. I paid for it in the Ltd Edition and I'm happy about seeing it available in regular playlists. A vast improvment.

People got the achievements and didnt need the maps anymore.
I think in addition to this (opinion incoming) that if the maps delivered something different than the launch line up, people would have had more fun and would have missed them when they were gone. The people who tried them and didn't buy them don't miss them.

DdYkC.jpg

When's the next DLC drop?

Feb 23

Yea you have to remember most of the population (per population chart) is just casual halo fans that play through the campaign get the easy achievements maybe try for some moderate ones and then leave, maybe sporadically picking it up on random days to try and complete.

DLC isn't going to up the population in long term. It will possibly bring people back to try them and to get the new achievements but that only lasts a few days depending on how busy they are. Look at the incredibly low DLC playlist #'s for proof on this.

I really cant even believe the Christmas boost lasted as long as it did.

Louis Wu

The poor DLC pop. has to have something to do with the whole try and play disaster. Alot of people never bothered to pay after getting them free...

And then have them taken away.

With a bullshit MS PR excuse
Hmm. I see them regularly, in Infinity Slayer, Infinity Big Team, SWAT, CTF... it seems like 75+% of the people I play with have 'em.

Booties

Banned
Is it messed up say that my friend who wears a hearing aid in both ears is "dual-wielding"? I said that in his presence, but I don't think he noticed.

Hmm. I see them regularly, in Infinity Slayer, Infinity Big Team, SWAT, CTF... it seems like 75+% of the people I play with have 'em.
CTF almost always gives me Harvest or Wreckage as an option. DLC implementation is really great compared to previous Halos, but the fact that Extraction is still behind the DLC playwall is aggravating.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
My best friend wears hearing aids. They are so damn nice now though. They come with a remote and he can bluetooth music/movie audio/etc. and his phone calls wirelessly to them. Also you can barely even see them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom