• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT14| They call it Halo

Tier 2 for Spartan Ops. Tier 2 for Infinity Challenge.

Somehow. I do wish I had time to grind Spartan Ops, sadly, I'm in school full time.

Computer

Of all the features Halo 4 ripped from cod they leave out auto boot for afk players. That would actually make jip useful.

Would you guys play a Flood variant with additional forms? Not necessarily identical to ones we've seen in the past (you could play as a Carrier Form but your Infection Forms would rely on pathfinding or you would just explode rather than emit infectors, for example) but adding a few more "classes" to the game?

And I feel like it goes without saying that you guys would play a revised Safe Havens where you could get the structural elements of Dominion, right?

Would you guys play a Flood variant with additional forms? Not necessarily identical to ones we've seen in the past (you could play as a Carrier Form but your Infection Forms would rely on pathfinding or you would just explode rather than emit infectors, for example) but adding a few more "classes" to the game?

And I feel like it goes without saying that you guys would play a revised Safe Havens where you could get the structural elements of Dominion, right?
I'd play a flood mode where there are interactable objects you can use to barricade rooms!

Gui_PT

Got an email from Virgin gaming. The War Games Finals for the Infinity Tournament are live.

I'm in Tier 2.

Get on my level scrubs.

tumblr_ljj7qcQpLB1qdf6w8o1_250.gif

OverHeat

« generous god »
Replayed the first mission of reach yesterday....holyshit the world scale is on a different level then 4.

Havent played it but I hate this statement.

Sure, some people prefer emergent gameplay and less cinematics, but it's a different type of game. Take Walking Dead for example. They could have made it an fps or something but instead they went for a cinematic storytelling experience that was amazing

I can't say I 100% agree with his view, but his points have validity. The uncharted series does a very good job with animations and banter making the experience a nice ride. The platforming is completely devoid of challenge or excitement.

Fuchsdh

You bastard, just made me nostalgia hard with that track. I love what was done with CE: A's soundtrack.

Yeah the more I play the CEA soundtrack, the more I appreciate it. They did foul up some classic tracks (rewriting the guitar riff, wtf mate?) but on the whole it's an excellent update and some of the ambient/electronic stuff gives me shivers. It's *that* kind of music that would have been perfect for the Halo 4 I was expected, full of levels trekking across open terrain and ambient wonders. Oh well.

(Also it was great to have versions of the lost Halo music. "How to Get Ahead In War" is awesome.)

Oh man, I would never leave that playlist. Maybe have a max. # of survivors per room/structure. Prevent people from all bunching together.

I dunno. Safety in numbers, sure, but if you're broken into it's also game over.

I think decoupling the mode from the energy sword/claw would make the biggest change. If you made the Flood more resilient and less dependent on the lunge I think you'd increase the danger for humans appropriately.

the natron

Neo Member
Hey guys I'm Natron, been lurking since OT6
Halo 3 is my favorite overall Halo and Spartan Ops online is the worst thing ever

343 definitely oversold Spartan Ops. They should have just said it was a co-op elimination mode and we would have been impressed at the attempt to add context via CGI cutscenes. Instead they just had to go crazy with the TV show analogies and water cooler moments.

Didnt I read somewhere that the earlier versions of Spartan Ops had randomized objectives? Would like to have seen that mode in action.

Noricart

343 definitely oversold Spartan Ops. They should have just said it was a co-op elimination mode and we would have been impressed at the attempt to add context via CGI cutscenes. Instead they just had to go crazy with the TV show analogies and water cooler moments.

Agreed. Didn't have a single "wow moment" or any part where I thought "this is good". Nothing on the par of The Wire, Walking Dead, or Breaking Bad, to name a few.
Still kinda miffed about what Firefight could have been with the addition of custom loadouts and classes.

someone play Reach with franklinator, monsterfracas, and most importantly me.
ewww. Going back to Reach? I knew there was something wrong with all of you.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
someone play Reach with franklinator, monsterfracas, and most importantly me.

Bombadil

Banned
I can't say I 100% agree with his view, but his points have validity. The uncharted series does a very good job with animations and banter making the experience a nice ride. The platforming is completely devoid of challenge or excitement.

That's really what I mean, though. It creates a false sense of danger and urgency that is too easily alleviated by simple button presses. And pretty much all the strategy involved in defeating enemies is so obviously guided. There's a lack of subtlety in the level design. Remember that scene in Uncharted 2 where the bus blows up and Drake is thrown backward? And then the player has to climb a broken down hovel to traverse the area? There's too much of that kind of stuff where the player can do only one thing.

Unfortunately, when I played Uncharted 2, it didn't just leave a bad taste in my mouth for that particular game, but for almost all games. Now, whenever I play Dead Space or Halo or Half Life, I can too easily see the designer's intentions in the game. I've become extremely cynical of video games because I too easily notice the skeleton of the game.

I wouldn't attack Uncharted 2 solely except that Uncharted 2 has become a model for what other developers shoot for. It's kind of like criticizing Apple for using Foxconn even though dozens of companies do it, too. Apple is the major company that other companies aspire to be and so they're the figurehead. Naughty Dog is the Apple of video game developers. They advertise themselves as pioneers with untraditional management and development methods. They do a ton of work, exert a lot of artistic effort, and at the end of the day their perfectionism prevents their games from being the kind of games I want to play because they simply can't let the player create his own experiences. Again, like Apple, very controlling.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace

Didnt I read somewhere that the earlier versions of Spartan Ops had randomized objectives? Would like to have seen that mode in action.
Yup, I really didn't take the ambiguity that came with SpOps into consideration. That said, I didn't care much for it because I never looked at it as a replacement for Firefight, but I was still disappointed with what we got.

The difficulty scaling or lack thereof in Halo 4 is one of it's worst sins, and it shines most in Spartan Ops in conjunction with disappearing weaponry.

I often loiter around the watercooler waiting for SpOps discussion but all I hear is people whispering about this crazy guy who's always hanging out around the watercooler.

the natron

Neo Member
wow i feel welcome already haha
And about Spartan Ops, its no firefight but its ok even if it is meh and totally forgettable aside from a couple missions. The real problem though lies in that god awful netcode. Every time I try to play it online I feel like I'm playing an interactive slideshow and sometimes I go phasing through objects or enemies pop out of nowhere. Its netcode seriously reaches Crysis 2 levels of bad.

I often loiter around the watercooler waiting for SpOps discussion but all I hear is people whispering about this crazy guy who's always hanging out around the watercooler.
The guy with the "Hire Me!" t-shirt? yeah. he's kind of a trip.

Another random Halo 4 aside: There are a bunch of computer terminals in campaign you can use. The ones in Dawn that go into the Chief's history and break down the Forward Unto Dawn's systems - those are all well and good.

But beyond these there are some in the Pelican Bay on the Infinity that go into War Games leaderboards and highlights, but they're offline. They are even more "sorry, we're temporarily offline due to X" terminals to be found on Composer.

Whats the deal with these? Was this by design? Or did 343 have other ideas for these that they never fleshed out?

the natron

Neo Member
The guy with the "Hire Me!" t-shirt? yeah. he's kind of a trip.

Another random Halo 4 aside: There are a bunch of computer terminals in campaign you can use. The ones in Dawn that go into the Chief's history and break down the Forward Unto Dawn's systems - those are all well and good.

But beyond these there are some in the Pelican Bay on the Infinity that go into War Games leaderboards and highlights, but they're offline. They are even more "sorry, we're temporarily offline due to X" terminals to be found on Composer.

Whats the deal with these? Was this by design? Or did 343 have other ideas for these that they never fleshed out?

If you look around in that beginning area of Requiem you can actually find a lot of stuff like that. A notepad where Halsey talks about Cortana, a terminal that talks about the "Storm Covenant", etc. I'm pretty sure they are few later in the level too. I think they're just bunch of easter eggs meant to either give backstory or make the world of Halo feel more real

Top Bottom