• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT14| They call it Halo

How did Halo Wars shoot Halo in the foot? It was a fantastic game and the most popular RTS on consoles.

Really? Competing with all those other console RTS games Halo Wars was the most popular...out of all four of them!? Needless to say LOTRBFME2 was still a better RTS. The RTS lowered the value of the name Halo. Because it was a bad RTS. Noone was online playing that stuff. It only did campaign and cutscenes well, everything else could have been handled better. Hell if in fact it really had more sales it was probably atrributed to the fact you got stuff for Halo 3 when purchasing it.

ODST was more garbo Halo. It was an OK campaign for like 6 hours then you beat it and it was done. Most people I would guesstimate didnt play more than 80 games in ODST. FF had limited replay value.

Fotos

eNnBY.jpg

We have come a long way.

Gordon

How did Halo Wars shoot Halo in the foot? It was a fantastic game and the most popular RTS on consoles.
Meh - skinniest kid at fat camp. RTS is a really established genre. I haven't seen a single console attempt that didn't feel like a bad port with missing features. Kinda feels like a console game remade for a handheld. It's just too dumbed down. I would have enjoyed seeing a Blizzard version though.

Hell if in fact it really had more sales it was probably atrributed to the fact you got stuff for Halo 3 when purchasing it.
I bought it because it was $20 on some wacky sale a few days after release, and because I kinda like RTS games. Wouldn't have bothered at full price though.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I don't blame people for not playing Halo 4, but it would be nice to have people to play with. I wish there were other competitive multiplayer games I liked.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I kinda want to play Halo Wars now to see what exactly they did to expand the universe. I mean the demo was kinda fun, but I just wasn't down with the prospective of playing a ton of RTS games on a gamepad.

Regret not picking it up for $10 when I could have.

Tell me you wouldn't want Halo Wars 2 for the next xbox with 8v8 multiplayer. I would play that all day.

I'd really prefer Halo Wars 2 on PC. RTS on consoles have never really sat well for me. Smaller tactical games would work. Maybe you control an ODST/S2/3/4 squad and go on tactical missions.

Actually that would be awesome.

Gordon

I'd really prefer Halo Wars 2 on PC. RTS on consoles have never really sat well for me. Smaller tactical games would work. Maybe you control an ODST/S2/3/4 squad and go on tactical missions.

Actually that would be awesome.
Something along the lines of LoL? I could see that working.

343 should hire the person responsible for writing Sovereigns lines in Mass Effect. The Didact or a precursor could make great use of that style of writing.

"You exist because we allow it, and you will end because we demand it."

However Halo fans have ADD so you would need to not only have faction powers like last time but cover/houses.

also not only air-vehicle-infantry rock paper scissors but also some sort of spartan - religious nutbag - leader triangle. like age of myths hero/myth/soldier units.

Also steal their powerup relic idea.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
However Halo fans have ADD so you would need to not only have faction powers like last time but cover/houses.

also not only air-vehicle-infantry rock paper scissors but also some sort of spartan - religious nutbag - leader triangle. like age of myths hero/myth/soldier units.

Also steal their powerup relic idea.

You could make Spartans act as Ghosts. They have Camo, a Sniper, EMP (Plasma Pistol) and call down Nukes through Personal Ordnance.

They could do an RTS-meets-MMOFPS Halo with a pretty high degree of success. In other words, Halo Wars meets Planetside 2 but set during a time that warrants it - like the Human-Forerunner War, for example. You could either be a Commander and function in an RTS style micromanaging units and such or just a basic ancient Spartan/Promethean/etc on the ground.

They could do an RTS-meets-MMOFPS Halo with a pretty high degree of success. In other words, Halo Wars meets Planetside 2 but set during a time that warrants it - like the Human-Forerunner War, for example. You could either be a Commander and function in an RTS style micromanaging units and such or just a basic ancient Spartan/Promethean/etc on the ground.

They could make a Halo Civilization where the battles are decided by results of Halo 5 matches.

Cross game connectivity international interaction.

Mace Griffin

Neo Member
Played some Halo 4 for the first time in about 6 weeks last night. What an awful experience.

I went to my friend's house for a gaming night and we decided to give the doubles playlist a go. I will say that it is a marginal improvement compared to when I last played but Halo 4 multiplayer is IMO still not very enjoyable at all. After about 5/6 games we just couldn't take playing it anymore and had to take out our Halo 4 discs vowing to never subject ourselves to such a frustrating experience again. Everytime I leave Halo 4 for a while I question whether my opinion of it is too harsh and how maybe its not all that bad, then when I play it I remember exactly why I stopped playing.

Problems we encountered playing doubles:

-Narrow skill gap of DMR/BR. This is the first thing that hit me, even players that were clearly not very skilled had little problem landing most shots with these weapons, especially at anything over very close range.

-Terribly slow movement speed. After playing some PC games recently Halo 4 strafing was actually quite amusing in how near useless it is coupled with the hitscan DMR/BR.

-Sprint double beatdown. In doubles pro without radar this was incredibly cheap and annoying reminiscent of reach. One of the pros of the bolt shot is that you don't have to put up with this which is even worse and even more cheap.

-Railgun. This is like the long range bolt shot in doubles. I was killed with this weapon almost exclusively in some games as players relied on it as a crutch and couldn't get kills with either the DMR/BR or the not quite as easy to use sniper rifle. The degree of auto aim, quick charge time and instant kill nature of this weapon made it very annoying to get killed by.

-Infinity slayer. We came across a couple of good players who chose infinity slayer over 2 options of slayer pro and absolutely abused jet packs in the cheapest ways possible along with various cheap personal ordnance weapons such as the saw. This reminded how winning in Halo 4 comes down to who can abuse the cheap tactics the most rather than master skilful weapons and meta games of map control / weapon control such as in the first 3 Halo games.

Played some Halo 4 for the first time in about 6 weeks last night. What an awful experience.

I went to my friend's house for a gaming night and we decided to give the doubles playlist a go. I will say that it is a marginal improvement compared to when I last played but Halo 4 multiplayer is IMO still not very enjoyable at all. After about 5/6 games we just couldn't take playing it anymore and had to take out our Halo 4 discs vowing to never subject ourselves to such a frustrating experience again. Everytime I leave Halo 4 for a while I question whether my opinion of it is too harsh and how maybe its not all that bad, then when I play it I remember exactly why I stopped playing.

Problems we encountered playing doubles:

-Narrow skill gap of DMR/BR. This is the first thing that hit me, even players that were clearly not very skilled had little problem landing most shots with these weapons, especially at anything over very close range.

-Terribly slow movement speed. After playing some PC games recently Halo 4 strafing was actually quite amusing in how near useless it is coupled with the hitscan DMR/BR.

-Sprint double beatdown. In doubles pro without radar this was incredibly cheap and annoying reminiscent of reach. One of the pros of the bolt shot is that you don't have to put up with this which is even worse and even more cheap.

-Railgun. This is like the long range bolt shot in doubles. I was killed with this weapon almost exclusively in some games as players relied on it as a crutch and couldn't get kills with either the DMR/BR or the not quite as easy to use sniper rifle. The degree of auto aim, quick charge time and instant kill nature of this weapon made it very annoying to get killed by.

-Infinity slayer. We came across a couple of good players who chose infinity slayer over 2 options of slayer pro and absolutely abused jet packs in the cheapest ways possible along with various cheap personal ordnance weapons such as the saw. This reminded how winning in Halo 4 comes down to who can abuse the cheap tactics the most rather than master skilful weapons and meta games of map control / weapon control such as in the first 3 Halo games.

I'm guilty of this. It's difficult not to go straight for it, as it's absurdly effective. Combine that with the ammo perk and it gets kinda silly. I would propose changing it to a 3 minute timer, and hopefully if the TU allows for it, banning the ammo perk in Doubles.

As for Jetpack, I still think it could be interesting if the three more effective AAs, ProVis, Invis, and Jetpack, would be placed on the map. I've never understood why AAs always had to be loadout only and couldn't be considered power-AAs on the map, Halo 3 Equipment-style.

Infinity slayer desperately needs to be taken back to the drawing board.

Top Bottom