• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT14| They call it Halo

Computer

Add your Halo 4 sucks testimony to the thousands of others and they don't amount to much due to 343's complete denial of how flawed game is.

IHaveIce

Banned
Played some Halo 4 for the first time in about 6 weeks last night. What an awful experience.

I went to my friend's house for a gaming night and we decided to give the doubles playlist a go. I will say that it is a marginal improvement compared to when I last played but Halo 4 multiplayer is IMO still not very enjoyable at all. After about 5/6 games we just couldn't take playing it anymore and had to take out our Halo 4 discs vowing to never subject ourselves to such a frustrating experience again. Everytime I leave Halo 4 for a while I question whether my opinion of it is too harsh and how maybe its not all that bad, then when I play it I remember exactly why I stopped playing.

Problems we encountered playing doubles:

-Narrow skill gap of DMR/BR. This is the first thing that hit me, even players that were clearly not very skilled had little problem landing most shots with these weapons, especially at anything over very close range.

-Terribly slow movement speed. After playing some PC games recently Halo 4 strafing was actually quite amusing in how near useless it is coupled with the hitscan DMR/BR.

-Sprint double beatdown. In doubles pro without radar this was incredibly cheap and annoying reminiscent of reach. One of the pros of the bolt shot is that you don't have to put up with this which is even worse and even more cheap.

-Railgun. This is like the long range bolt shot in doubles. I was killed with this weapon almost exclusively in some games as players relied on it as a crutch and couldn't get kills with either the DMR/BR or the not quite as easy to use sniper rifle. The degree of auto aim, quick charge time and instant kill nature of this weapon made it very annoying to get killed by.

-Infinity slayer. We came across a couple of good players who chose infinity slayer over 2 options of slayer pro and absolutely abused jet packs in the cheapest ways possible along with various cheap personal ordnance weapons such as the saw. This reminded how winning in Halo 4 comes down to who can abuse the cheap tactics the most rather than master skilful weapons and meta games of map control / weapon control such as in the first 3 Halo games.
Sorry but every one who wants to win will go the route which is the easiest. Halo 3 had also some things that you could have abused or there were cheap tactics.

Eventhough I have to agree that Infinity Slayer is shit I think your other complains are not that bad.

Especially the Movement Speed, I think the normal movement speed is way better than Reachs, strafing is affected by other things I think.

And I really like the Railgun, probably because it is so strong.
Playing Doubles Pro on Haven rushing down grabbing the speed boost and then getting the Railgun... <3

m23

Railgun is awesome, so much fun to use. I try to get my hands on it whenever possible. Sticky det on the other hand, not so much. Grenade launcher should have stayed instead of bringing that in.

Playing Doubles Pro on Haven rushing down grabbing the speed boost and then getting the Railgun... <3

Literally what I do every match on Haven lol. But then again that's probably what most of us do.

Ghazi

Tommorrow will be exactly 2 weeks from the release of the Majestic map pack. And going by when they released the Crimson map pack trailer (nearly 2 weeks from it's release day) we could possibly see a trailer for it in this week's Bulletin.

Havok

Add your Halo 4 sucks testimony to the thousands of others and they don't amount to much due to 343's complete denial of how flawed game is.
...what are you expecting them to say, exactly? The best that you're going to get is "We tried some new things and some of them didn't work out as well as we hoped." They're not going to throw the team under the bus, nor should they.

And like it or not, they are responding. Maybe not as fast as you'd like, but changes have been rolling in. We're seeing things like Doubles Pro, Throwdown, the TU, and hopefully Majestic that are trying to directly address the issues of the hardcore audience.

If they weren't doing anything about it I might be less forgiving, but these things take some time, as little as that phrase helps a ravenous fanbase. There are still some baffling decisions going on like Infinity CTF, but as a whole the game is improving bit by bit.

Fotos

3CDhH3T.png

Crimson DLC is doin pretty well.

Mad Era

Neo Member
I popped in halo 4 for the first time in a little over a month and wow what a horrible experience. nothing can save this game at this point, its just a poorly made Halo game. it doesn't feel like halo at all.
-The maps are all garbage
-The BR is practically useless because of how overpowered the DMR is
-Ordinance drops are en epic fail
-instant respawn is a joke
-No ranking system
etc etc....

I thought a ranking system could be the saving grace for the game but it won't. the game just isn't fun to play. 343 really dropped the ball.

Halo is dead. shame on you 343 and especially you Frank O' Connor

I popped in halo 4 for the first time in a little over a month and wow what a horrible experience. nothing can save this game at this point, its just a poorly made Halo game. it doesn't feel like halo at all.
-No ranking system
etc etc....

I thought a ranking system could be the saving grace for the game but it won't. the game just isn't fun to play. 343 really dropped the ball.

About 90 minutes worth of evidence that the DMR isnt OP,
http://www.halocounc...roadcast-na-eu/

Frank single handedly made all the decisions so this is spot on.

U Mad Era
(Today, 07:04 PM)

Well he is the Franchise Development Director. If he weren't busy playing Black Ops, he could have seen the changes and known they would not be widely accepted.

Enfinit

Just played Infinity CTF on Ragnarok. I love how the player camping his own flag with a sniper is rewarded with an Incineration Cannon.

do they ever release sales figures for DLC?

No, but it's no great secret that Halo DLC hasn't sold well, especially in Reach and H4.

All other major games offer much more content for the price than Halo does with their DLC, yet they seem determined to stick with their sad 3 maps for $10 and nothing else as DLC.

Ghazi

i wouldn't say i'm mad just disappointed. I played halo 2 and 3 religiously back in the day and was really hoping Halo 4 would be somewhat on par with those games especially after Reach

Don't worry, you'll only have to pay at least $360 more to get the nextbox and the next Halo game when they
maybe
get it right.

-No ranking system
etc etc....

Lol at rant and targeting frankie. Real mature.
I wanted to understand your arguments over MP flaws but calling out a fellow OG GAFfer will not help with voicing any of your "Junior" opinions.

No, but it's no great secret that Halo DLC hasn't sold well, especially in Reach and H4.

All other major games offer much more content for the price than Halo does with their DLC, yet they seem determined to stick with their sad 3 maps for $10 and nothing else as DLC.

How to you explain $15 CoD DLC?

I wanted to understand your arguments over MP flaws but calling out a fellow OG GAFfer will not help with voicing any of your "Junior" opinions.

Just because he also comes to GAF doesn't mean a thing. if he can't handle criticism then he shouldn't have let Halo become what it is.

Huh... I always thought the DLC for Halo 3 sold really well.

Just played Infinity CTF on Ragnarok. I love how the player camping his own flag with a sniper is rewarded with an Incineration Cannon.

Infinity CTF is an outrage. If more gaffers played it you'd see furious grease fire posts immolating these forums. Inspired by Unknown, I made a troll loadout for ICTF earlier today:

DMR, AR, Camo and Ordnance priority

Never used Camo before, I genuinely felt dirty. Sat in different places around the flag and got FLAG DEFENSE points plus all the rest for crouch ambushing the other team. I then used speed boost for a 7 second cap. Was rewarded endlessly for this turgid playstyle.

Also using Unknown's loadout in the back of the base on Solaris. Fishing for grease fire 1v1 messages. Pro on Rail was awesome though, didn't lose a single match.

Also played Ragnorok and started tallying the nature of my deaths. It went: Sniper, sniper, sniper, MANTIS!, Binary rifle, binary rifle, nades, binary rifle

At one point the other team had a sniper on turret, a camo sniper on hill, a BiRi in the base and a camo guy with a Fuel Rod. Dreadful debasement of the formerly fun BTB.

Mad Era

Neo Member
Well i'm calling him out as the Halo franchise director not as an "OG GAFfer"

Mad Era

Neo Member
What is up with these elitists on here who think my opinion doesn't hold value because i'm a "junior" member? Just because you spend more time on these forums than I do doesn't make you superior. This is a public forum. Everyone is entitled to their opinion no matter what their status is on these forums

I'm mad, they fucked up my Halo twice, now I cant game with all my bros here (and devo) So I sit and laugh at the population charts, offer some sporadic ideas they promptly ignore. Meanwhile I could fix this fucking garbage.

Another day, nothing amazing ever happens here.

Ghazi

What is up with these elitists on here who think my opinion doesn't hold value because i'm a "junior" member? Just because you spend more time on these forums than I do doesn't make you superior. This is a public forum. Everyone is entitled to their opinion no matter what their status is on these forums

Whoa total overreaction!

It's just that Frankie hasn't done anything wrong yet you're blaming everything on him, I don't think your Junior Status matters at all. I was a Junior up until about a week ago and nobody treated me any differently than they do now.

Moa

Lemme just steal that.

Moa you joined like 6 months ago to talk to Frankie and now you post endless bullshit all day long. You of all people should not be pulling the seniority card or post quality card.

Knows my life better than I do, love you!

What's with all these juniors calling us members elitists?

I'll have you know we had to walk 343 miles uphill, both ways to make those 300 posts.

Top Bottom