• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT15| Beta-tested, GAF approved

Homeboyd

Guys, halp.

I'm debating switching names - something subtle for sure, but I want to try and get it to work well with a blog, too. Wahrer Machine just sounds kinda corny for the whole sandbox project thing. I mean hell, maybe just Wahrer or something but I have no idea.

I was toying with the name Archrelic a while back but decided against it.
Krispy Kreme

Guys, halp.

I'm debating switching names - something subtle for sure, but I want to try and get it to work well with a blog, too. Wahrer Machine just sounds kinda corny for the whole sandbox project thing. I mean hell, maybe just Wahrer or something but I have no idea.

Wahrer sounds fine.

amatecha

cKALdl6.gif

WOfM49x.gif

hahah, total QFT

kylej

Banned
like every single post in this thread sucks balls including my own so I say keep posting that weapon stuff cause at least there's some thought behind it even though I don't read it

Fracas

#fuckonami
Guys, halp.

But Wahrer Machine's awesome!

I guess just Wahrer works too.

like every single post in this thread sucks balls including my own so I say keep posting that weapon stuff cause at least there's some thought behind it even though I don't read it

I give this post

E1dfpAO.png
E1dfpAO.png
E1dfpAO.png
E1dfpAO.png
E1dfpAO.png

E1dfpAO.png
E1dfpAO.png
E1dfpAO.png
E1dfpAO.png
SVWxPJk.png
/ 10

that final yogabutt is 98 pixels wide compared to the rest which are 100

Brilliant. Thanks for sharing. The "blank canvas from the guy who only makes Gran Turismo" followed by the car fetishist was great.

I lost it at the Diablo part. You know they planned that before Diablo III released and Sony knew they would get this type of reaction after it's reception from the fans. I feel bad for Sony really. It would have been a huge move if D3 was as successful as expected.

I honestly think someone at 343 is secretly trying to kill Halo.

I once thought that we were deliberately given "bad" Halo experiences so that we can more easily be blown away later.. but your theory seems to make the most sense.

Guys, halp.

Le Wahrer with your cat wearing a french hat as your avatar.

DeadNames

Banned
Guys, halp.

Wahrer Machine is fine.

If you think THAT'S corny, then Archrelic is a whole new species of corn.

Sai-kun

Banned
I know that, and I'm not a botanist. I would say the bigger question is why is someone educated enough to know that but still enough of a douche to poke fun at someone's supposed sexuality (derived from a username.)

I laughed because sexuality and gender are two completely different things and lmao gaming community

Also wow at people with maps early I'm so jealous!!!!!!!!

Edit: don't change your name idiot!!

Rev3rb

Guys, halp.

Something to do with the cat.

I like the cat

343, you're getting conversation going, and people are liking the maps. These people will tell their friends, etc, etc. Imagine if the tools were built into the box/game for the next go around.

Karl2177

Cross post here and Halo 4 Forge OT

I've been working on another map. When I read about the FFA contest, I figured, eh what the heck. I'll give my second map another shot. It took the original idea of courtyards and doodled a new version on a piece of paper. If I'm making a symmetric map, I generally break the map into 4 squares that each have 4 squares as well. This was the result.

iqrMtOjGbN4PY.png

Just like usual, I decided to go into SketchUp and mold out the map. It stayed fairly true to the paper version. The biggest issue I noticed in SketchUp was that there were only 2 ramps to get to the top. I figured I could find some new spots in Forge once I started it up.

imgpt4wkoOvY7.png

iQ01FECTtCzlf.png

A lot of things got changed, but the overall design largely remained the same. It is mirror symmetric, instead of inverse symmetric like my concepts were. The base layout still is a courtyard design. I changed the base layout to have ramps inside the base. This gives players a way up right off spawn.

In order to accommodate for the 8 player max of FFA, I decided to turn the side pieces into their own courtyards. The side courtyards are a bit smaller than the team courtyards, mostly so it will work during team games. Originally the orange courtyard was green, but I decided to change it after my roommate's friend couldn't tell the difference between red and green base(hint: he's R/G colorblind).

In order to give more distinguishing features to one side, I decided to throw a small asteroid trail up on the orange side. This has another side effect of shading the red base and the orange base.

The center box is a giant LoS blocker. It blocks the top and bottom base-to-base, as well as side-to-side. There's also a pair of lifts on each side to give players another route to the top. So far this is the best lift I have made. I haven't gotten stuck on it yet, but I won't say that it is impossible quite yet.

The red dots indicate FFA spawns. This stayed true from the original concept.

These are the initial weapon spawn locations.

Blue dot- Frags
Green dot- Plasmas
Orange cross- Pulse(below)
Red dot- Shotgun
Purple cross- Sniper(below)

I have random ordnance set up as well, but it is spread across the map.

I wanted to have the name deal with courts, so I named it Dread. It's a play on Dredd, plus it made giving it a description really easy. "The UNSC always feared the threat of Mega-Asteroid One crashing into this lawless station." Fear-dread. It works.

Things I have remaining:
-Spawning
-Objectives
-Fix the janky floor
-Loadout cameras

I'll upload it once I get the first two done, which will either be later tonight or tomorrow afternoon. Thanks for reading, and I'm eager for some feedback.

Karl2177

Looks like it might be fun Karl. Maybe you should try mixing up the ground textures with something like Dispatch.

Looks too bland.
I would love to change the ground textures, but due to the size of the map, ColiWalls are my best option. Plus, the geometry uses up the entire 100 object budget in the "Building Blocks" section. I'd also love to not need to use 20 ColiWalls for the walls, but sadly there isn't a good indoor area like the Sandbox basement.
Looks awesome.
Thanks!
Karl that looks great!

I can't help but think I'd rather see Intercession, though.

Last I was told it was somewhere between the Cartos and the Bravos. So hit up ya boy Bravo and be all like "Yo dawg. This is a good map. I want to be able to play this with complete strangers."

Top Bottom