• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT15| Beta-tested, GAF approved

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Ever comes back? That's messed up. I'm waiting to do the Kevin Franklin interview for the next one.

You know Overrun is PvP right? So it's more than just the "new Horde mode" foo'

Yeah it's class based multiplayer basically (like engineer, soldier, medic, etc, not sure if those are the actual classes), but the other team can play as the different Locusts. "Classic" Gears gets 4 maps, though.

Maybe if you never play anything other than slayer, then yeah they're pretty useless.

Other than that, they're an instant "reconsider your movement" notion to other players, and definitely not as useless and unnecessary to the sandbox like spike grenades were. Work flawlessly in blocking off choke points, turning defense into offense, etc.
this is from a while ago, but spike grenades being unnecessary to the sandbox? really? did you never throw them at a wall so they would destroy the person chasing you? spike grenades had all sorts of uses

Lol my party just got backed out of matchmaking five times in a row because of "networking difficulties."
What is this lol? 8 years of Halo matchmaking and I've never had that happen to me until Halo 4.

Caja 117

That seems like an odd breaking point for someone who thinks the DMR's so perfect.

Huh, you meant BR? And no I dont think is perfect, defending why it is better BR starts than DMR starts is a great Exaggeration over saying is perfect so i will appreciate if you dont put words in my mouth.

found all these hidden codes on the maps for the code guys.

u8T3LMt.png

Madness

Those achievements, yikes! It's like 343 doesn't realize how fucked up the matches will be. It's one thing to use mantis. Now every match will be a shit load of pulse grenade spam, active camo, jetpack or pv users.

People won't play properly for a long time and will get desperate.

I remember the halo 3 lone wolves achievements. I got all of them within 2 days of launch legit. I also know how much they fucked up my lone wolves rank forever. I actually did the double kill splaser twice. It was completely random but all match long I would hog the splaser on high ground or snowbound.

I just don't care about the achievements anymore so it doesn't bother me, but it's going to have a HUGE impact on the matches. In Crimson people would just foolishly use hog instead of helping out, trying to do jumps, etc.

Kill people while pv is active, this pretty much means everyone will equip boltshot and hide and look at radar, activate and kill you.

5 airsassinations... Unnecessary jetpack use. Instead of shooting people, they'll just keep flying up, trying to get an assassination and most likely dying in the process. Don't be surprised if people on your team go 4-26 etc.

I have to disagree with the notion its a great way to get players to experience the sandbox. By this point, every player knows what works and what doesn't. N00bs mentioned Mantis but I never saw anyone learn to use it well. All I saw was people either boosting or being careless. I know because I did the same. I purposely got into plasma pistol range so I could stomp. Once I got the achievement, I stopped using it. Sure it's now easier for me to stomp, that doesn't mean I will use it like that again.

What happens the second some lucky guy does get the pulse grenade dubkill? He won't touch the grenade again, so what was the point? All I know now, is that for the remainder of the playlist, everyone will be rocking explosives, Grenadier and pulse grenades and will be spamming them left and right.

Those achievements, yikes! It's like 343 doesn't realize how fucked up the matches will be. It's one thing to use mantis. Now every match will be a shit load of pulse grenade spam, active camo, jetpack or pv users.

People won't play properly for a long time and will get desperate.

I remember the halo 3 lone wolves achievements. I got all of them within 2 days of launch legit. I also know how much they fucked up my lone wolves rank forever. I actually did the double kill splaser twice. It was completely random but all match long I would hog the splaser on high ground or snowbound.

I just don't care about the achievements anymore so it doesn't bother me, but it's going to have a HUGE impact on the matches. In Crimson people would just foolishly use hog instead of helping out, trying to do jumps, etc.

Kill people while pv is active, this pretty much means everyone will equip boltshot and hide and look at radar, activate and kill you.

5 airsassinations... Unnecessary jetpack use. Instead of shooting people, they'll just keep flying up, trying to get an assassination and most likely dying in the process. Don't be surprised if people on your team go 4-26 etc.

I have to disagree with the notion its a great way to get players to experience the sandbox. By this point, every player knows what works and what doesn't. N00bs mentioned Mantis but I never saw anyone learn to use it well. All I saw was people either boosting or being careless. I know because I did the same. I purposely got into plasma pistol range so I could stomp. Once I got the achievement, I stopped using it. Sure it's now easier for me to stomp, that doesn't mean I will use it like that again.

What happens the second some lucky guy does get the pulse grenade dubkill? He won't touch the grenade again, so what was the point? All I know now, is that for the remainder of the playlist, everyone will be rocking explosives, Grenadier and pulse grenades and will be spamming them left and right.

Do we even know if 343 made these achievements they just as well could have been out sourced like every other thing in halo 4.

Madness

Do we even know if 343 made these achievements they just as well could have been out sourced like every other thing in halo 4.

What? Why would certain affinity dictate what achievements to use? They don't even seem map specific. It's like 343 just decided to add whatever they could think of to add more 'funs'.

When you have lead designers talk about overpowered speed boosts in CTF, community managers openly saying they love just hiding and using camp in maps etc. It's obvious this is how the devs at 343 play. Most openly admit they are shit at playing halo, so it's not surprising. It's probably why they didn't challenge Bungie to a match.

I mean come on, actively promoting active camo, actively promoting promethean vision. Why not have something like get 100 kills on skyline. Win 3 slayer matches on each majestic map. Something simple, but you approach it much better.

Kibbles

Not sure why people were expecting some crap spinoff to be good. 4 maps sounds about right. I saw this coming the moment the game was announced. =\

I got the Astro A40 2013 edition a few months ago, I know a lot of people say they are overpriced, but whatever I really like them and they are really comfortable to wear. I haven't used a headset in years but the last one I used was the Tritton AX360s briefly and those would just hurt after a while. The Mixamp is great, love it. I wish my teammates footsteps were quiet though, sometimes I get alarmed only to find out it's one of my own. It definitely helps for gameplay though you can hear when people are from all directions above below, diagonal, whatever, I'm lovin it, really useful in competitive settings.

Just finished Spartan Ops Episode 10. 10-3 and 10-4 were beautiful.

-Marines were invincible on 10-3, but not completely so. I accidentally left my warthog full of two Spartans when the Lich flew away... they didn't come back. :lol

-If you play a defensive game with the Mantis and rely heavily on charging missile volleys instead of firing them individually, 10-4 is a breeze.

-I was expecting Engineers to show up in 10-5 or something. It was pretty underwhelming as a final mission (especially since the Hunters bugged and literally lost their AI for some reason) but the music when you were escaping was phenomenal.

-It was cute getting to see Crimson in a CG Cutscene, even if it was just their pelican. A higher-octave reprise of Requiem playing as Requiem flew into the sun was a nice touch, too.

heckfu

Banned
New maps are amazingly good looking. I'll do a full write up when I sit down at work tomorrow but I think this crowd will really like Skyline and Monolith. Very nice competitive areas but afraid the boltshot might kill the former due to how many corridors. For pro though it'll be really righteous.

Omni

Just finished the H4 campaign again... I had actually forgotten how much I like it. They seriously need to get Keith Szarabajka back in for Halo 5 (I think that's who voices the Didact)

Omni

I do hate to rant, but...

Why the fuck is there instant respawn in the CTF playlist now? Haven't played in a few days, but I know it wasn't like it before. What a god damn joke. I'm done with the multiplayer of this game. 343i have fucked the only playlist that I enjoyed playing in. But nooo, they had to implement Infinity CTF and instant respawns (on regular and Infinity) because we all wanted that clusterfuck of a gametype.

Egh. . /rant.

I have a friend who bought the GoD version, War Games and 1.0 is for sure with it. I'm guessing 1.5 would be since the GoD version came out after that was out, but I have no way of knowing if my friend downloaded it or not.

Hmm, it isn't part of the 7 GB download. You are prompted to download it after you install the game. Tis all cool.

Omni

I was bored, so I extracted a few Halo 3 shots (well like... every screenshot I ever took in the game...). The game may lack decent AA and has a lower poly count than both Reach and 4, but I sill consider the clean artstyle to be much better than both of them (and Chief looks more badass for some reason...)

It's so weird to think that Halo 3 is 6 years old this year. I can still remember it coming out like it was yesterday.

I was bored, so I extracted a few Halo 3 shots (well like... every screenshot I ever took in the game...). The game may lack decent AA and has a lower poly count than both Reach and 4, but I sill consider the clean artstyle to be much better than both of them (and Chief looks more badass for some reason...)

It's so weird to think that Halo 3 is 6 years old this year. I can still remember it coming out like it was yesterday.

Your previous post inspired me to go pop in Halo 3. Sadly, the disc won't load any campaign mission so I ended up just running around Zanzibar for a few minutes before shutting it off :( Goodnight, sweet prince.

Top Bottom