• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT15| Beta-tested, GAF approved

Fuchsdh

Played some ODST tonight. Campaign is still as boring as watching paint dry, but firefight is so much fun while playing with friends.

I had honestly forgotten how big the Hunters were in that game. I think it's the only time Bungie ever nailed them as big scary aliens (aside from the first encounter in CE... until you learnt about the pistol trick)

I hope that ODST firefight comes back in some form in the future. Playing as an ODST feels rather different than a Spartan and adds quite a bit of tension to the game - especially in comparison to Reach's firefight. I mean, just tonight I turned around to see just three Jackals and felt overwhelmed (It was on Legendary). Doesn't happen too often in other games. Sure Spartan Ops throws lots of enemies at you, but that feels just frustrating.

Actually it's interesting you bring up the difficulty because I think ODST is the easiest game on legendary--it's the only campaign I played through my first go-around. And I think that speaks to its quality, though--you're given effective tools (Visr mode), encouraged to sneak around and avoid enemies, and the missions aren't focused on padding out with enemies but on delivering just a few fun encounters. There's no homing fuel rods and the Brutes don't do one hit kill dropkicks like Reach Elites. Beam rifle Jackals are there but the stealth approach means you're less likely to be surprised by them.

All of which is to say its the best tuned Legendary of the series (with CE coming up second I think.$

Ghazi

Actually it's interesting you bring up the difficulty because I think ODST is the easiest game on legendary--it's the only campaign I played through my first go-around. And I think that speaks to its quality, though--you're given effective tools (Visr mode), encouraged to sneak around and avoid enemies, and the missions aren't focused on padding out with enemies but on delivering just a few fun encounters. There's no homing fuel rods and the Brutes don't do one hit kill dropkicks like Reach Elites. Beam rifle Jackals are there but the stealth approach means you're less likely to be surprised by them.

All of which is to say its the best tuned Legendary of the series (with CE coming up second I think.$

I stopped playing ODST after you "liberated" that zoo, gave me them Halo 3 feelings again when I was fighting Choppers. I haven't tried Firefight, but I'm sure it's really good.

For anyone who got the game on release, how did that promotion for getting Sgt. Johnson in Firefight at launch work?

Dongs Macabre

aka Daedalos42
HQSmQY7.jpg
nT6CkYt.jpg

lq2OtFY.jpg
NJ1G5ti.png

Mind = Blown

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
You guys like beating dead horses.

Give it up already, Halo the powerhouse it once was is over. How long it's taking to fix MM is unacceptable. LEGACY features and others were removed for what? Are we ever going to get an answer to that, most likely not.

There are reasons for me not posting anymore mainly cause I haven't played in months and just reading these reply's from you guys makes me sort of irritated. Some of you will accept whatever Bungie gives to you and are highly optimistic on what could become of <H2,H3,HR>. Since Day 1, problems have been there and still not fixed or things that should have been in aren't ever returning. I mean just look how long it's taking to add anything to the game, there are way better games to be using your time on instead of continuing to play H4 only to return here to complain all over again.

Agreed

TCKaos

Just played a 1v4 Extraction game because my entire team quit and I still went positive. So that's a thing.

Whoopsies, reused assets. That can't be good.

ODST's campaign is one of my favorites because it felt like a streamlined Halo experience. It's got all of the best elements of the core Halo campaign and uses the New Mombassa hubworld to add a bit of its own flavor.

On the subject of Firefight: ODST's Firefight was fantastic because there was limited health and ammo to go around. Lives depleted and would be replenished at the end of a set. That's how Firefight should be, not the Arcade shooting gallery we got in Reach with infinite ammo and infinite lives. Some of the best experiences I had in Reach came from playing Nightmare Mode with friends - Skulls follow ODST progression (I think, I can't remember), loadouts have practical uses, no extra ammo, every AI boosting trait was enabled, boss waves were insanely difficult. With four players on normal we never made it past the second set. It was a fight for survival with limited lives.

SpOps takes the Arcade experience up to eleven. Tons of stupid enemies with fuel rod cannons. Death carries no consequence and will replenish your ammo. On the hardest difficulty the missions only take fifteen minutes at most, and on the easiest the enemies are so stupid that they don't even move. On Normal difficulty on One Last Time the Hunters don't even move. They don't charge, they don't fire, they don't turn. They sit there and stare at you, and they let you punch them to death. Every time.

I never liked that mentality. It makes fighting enemies a chore instead of an experience. "Well, I guess I'll grind some challenges and commendations," instead of "We should play this mission because it was an awesome shootout where we were balls-deep in danger the entire time."

Dongs Macabre

aka Daedalos42
Not nearly as OP as the Incineration Cannon, at least you had to time and place your shots with the Plasma Launcher compared to aiming in a general direction and getting an Overkill.

True, but the Incineration Cannon is more risky at close corners. With the Plasma Launcher, you could shoot it at point blank range and immediately go into Armour Lock. :p

Ghazi

True, but the Incineration Cannon is more risky at close corners. With the Plasma Launcher, you could shoot it at point blank range and immediately go into Armour Lock. :p

True, If Armor Lock was in this game (Thankfully it isn't) then you could do that too.

I hate the Incineration Cannon with a passion.

Madness

And that is why the Plasma Launcher was way too OP. :p

What's your definition of overpowered? The weapon is a power pickup in the middle of the map with little ammo. You have to time and aim your shot and even then it was never guaranteed to get a kill like the one in the video. But yes, it was a little easy to use compared with the damage it could do.

I see it as no different than homing rocket launchers etc. It was a decent addition to tone down vehicle play or to catch vehicles like the revenant.

Most power weapons are overpowered, but they were mitigated by requiring skill, having it be a static pickup to be fought over. In halo 4, most power weapons are hand picked and dropped at your feet while requiring less skill than in previous games, ie incineration cannon, that has a ridiculously large hit radius and then splash damage after. But it's whatever, if it was a weapon on the map to be fought over, it wouldn't be so bad.

Dongs Macabre

aka Daedalos42
What's your definition of overpowered? The weapon is a power pickup in the middle of the map with little ammo. You have to time and aim your shot and even then it was never guaranteed to get a kill like the one in the video. But yes, it was a little easy to use compared with the damage it could do.

I see it as no different than homing rocket launchers etc. It was a decent addition to tone down vehicle play or to catch vehicles like the revenant.

Most power weapons are overpowered, but they were mitigated by requiring skill, having it be a static pickup to be fought over. In halo 4, most power weapons are hand picked and dropped at your feet while requiring less skill than in previous games, ie incineration cannon, that has a ridiculously large hit radius and then splash damage after. But it's whatever, if it was a weapon on the map to be fought over, it wouldn't be so bad.

Well, the Plasma Launcher could deal as much damage as a Spartan Laser without having to aim. Plus, if the target is out in the open, like on Hemorrhage, it's pretty much a guaranteed kill.

Booties

Banned
Well, the Plasma Launcher could deal as much damage as a Spartan Laser without having to aim. Plus, if the target is out in the open, like on Hemorrhage, it's pretty much a guaranteed kill.

The PL spawned in the middle of a wide open map at least. Incineration cannons just show up in your base on small maps sometimes.

Nebula

He fired more than one berry and only one managed to track the guy, and he only died to it because he never communicated to his driver to go in the cave or something. I'm pretty sure he could have just exited the Warthog as well. Either way he knew it was coming and had plenty of time to react.

It was never a guaranteed kill by any means, and you had to venture to the center of Hemorrhage to get it anyway. Risk v reward and all that. Now the Plasma Launcher in the Beta was OP, but still way off the Incineration Cannon. That thing can one hit a Mantis.

EDIT: BOOTIES!

The PL spawned in the middle of a wide open map at least. Incineration cannons just show up in your base on small maps sometimes.

I honestly don't have a huge problem with the power of the Incineration Cannon. It's how fast it reloads and how many shots it comes with. Also, like you mentioned where it spawns.

Covenant sandbox has always been a fucking mess to be fair

Plasma Rifle
Brute Plasma Rifle
Plasma Repeater
Storm Rifle

Needler has consistently been inconsistent

Fuel rod canon is either too powerful for MP, Not in MP because, Absolute shit

Concussion rifle is god awful because it basically stops a player being able to react because they are to busy bouncing around

Swords and the horrible clash mechanic

Focus rifle.

Ghazi

Plasma Rifle
Brute Plasma Rifle
Plasma Repeater
Storm Rifle

Concussion rifle is god awful because it basically stops a player being able to react because they are to busy bouncing around

Focus rifle.

They just need to get rid of all the reskins and useless weapons. Halo 3 had a pretty good variety of Covenant weapons in MP that all had their uses.

Madness

Uh what? You have to charge the Plasma Launcher as long as the spartan laser to get the homing and fire three shots. If that guy had a spartan laser and was even halfway decent, he'd have blown up the hog by then. In fact I'd say the splaser is even easier to use.

I don't know why you say it's easy to aim or get a kill. Think about it, to get the homing, you had to aim the Launcher and keep it on the guy and then fire. They then travel to the target. The target can easily see them, hide behind a rock, go in a cave etc. and most times the Plasma would touch something else. Whereas if you have a spartan laser and charge it at a target, it's an instant kill when the charge is done.

I actually sort of miss the Plasma Launcher because it could really help with the large maps, open play. Imagine exile having a Plasma Launcher in top cave spawn in middle. You could use it to take out the banshee or the gauss cannon or ghost. Plasma and grenade Launcher were alright additions to the weapon sandbox by me. Besides, with DMR on hemorrhage, trying to get the Plasma Launcher was also somewhat of a death wish.

Nebula

Plasma Launcher should have been the Spartan Lasers replacement. Also the Sticky Detonator should not have replaced the Grenade Launcher. You could do so many awesome things with it, and it actually took skill to use effectively.

Oh, I see why it was replaced now.

Dongs Macabre

aka Daedalos42
Uh what? You have to charge the Plasma Launcher as long as the spartan laser to get the homing and fire three shots. If that guy had a spartan laser and was even halfway decent, he'd have blown up the hog by then. In fact I'd say the splaser is even easier to use.

I don't know why you say it's easy to aim or get a kill. Think about it, to get the homing, you had to aim the Launcher and keep it on the guy and then fire. They then travel to the target. The target can easily see them, hide behind a rock, go in a cave etc. and most times the Plasma would touch something else. Whereas if you have a spartan laser and charge it at a target, it's an instant kill when the charge is done.

I actually sort of miss the Plasma Launcher because it could really help with the large maps, open play. Imagine exile having a Plasma Launcher in top cave spawn in middle. You could use it to take out the banshee or the gauss cannon or ghost. Plasma and grenade Launcher were alright additions to the weapon sandbox by me. Besides, with DMR on hemorrhage, trying to get the Plasma Launcher was also somewhat of a death wish.

Well, in my experience, it's pretty easy to find a target out in the open and get an easy kill with the Plasma Launcher. With the Spartan Laser, you have to have the reticle on the target at the moment it shoots, while homing is much easier, as you just have to point it at the target for a few seconds, and very little skill is required to do so. To me, the Plasma Launcher was much easier to use than the Spartan Laser.

Or in Dominion, god christ how did they allowed that weapon in that gametype.

Plasma Rifle
Brute Plasma Rifle
Plasma Repeater
Storm Rifle

Focus rifle.

I think most of the covenant weapons are meant to be support weapons like drain shields or stop vehicles rather than kill while the human weapons are more offensive are more used to be long range weapons.

Top Bottom