• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT15| Beta-tested, GAF approved

Ghazi

The one thing that I kinda like and kinda hate in Team Throwdown is the radar, I get assasinated/beat down so much because I usually don't have people to play with and I have terrible headphones so I can't sound whore. Though this wasn't a problem at all when I played with friends and we'd let each other know if there was someone behind us.

The one thing that I kinda like and kinda hate in Team Throwdown is the radar, I get assasinated/beat down so much because I usually don't have people to play with and I have terrible headphones so I can't sound whore. Though this wasn't a problem at all when I played with friends and we'd let each other know if there was someone behind us.

They should make an Armor Ability that adds a rear-view mirror to your Spartan's HUD.

IHaveIce

Banned
I actually thought about this too - having Loadouts being displayed on the scoreboard - and I think it'd be just as good of an idea. Then you might have some even further depth to combat because you'd have one person staying back behind cover talking with teammates.

"CyReN, who are you fighting?"
"KSI BongHitz and 420xSweepxSnipe!"
"KSI's got Hardlight, 420's got Boltshot!"
*CyReN puts one more shot into KSI and throws a grenade at them. KSI instinctively activated Hardlight Shield after the final shot, but is killed by the grenade. CyReN backpedals and cleans up 420 with his Battle Rifle.*

It'd be an interesting dynamic, for sure, my only worry would be people complaining about it not being "easily accessible in the middle of combat" or something.

Yep, the bolded would be also my biggest problem, for starters it should be possible to move again while showing the score board.

But you are right it is a tricky problem to solve.

TheOddOne

Ever since Bravo joined 343 we have seen marked improvement in communication. They are much more open about how the playlists are built (going into real detail), it looks and sounds like they are listening to feedback, reacting much faster to problems, given us smaller maps and put effort into marketing their new map pack (seriously, it’s much better then Crimson). 343 still has a an uphill battle but you guys are on the right track.

Tunavi

Banned
I saw you at RTX last year but legitimately got too shy to approach you. Are you going this year?
100th post! yay!!!
hahaha awesome, didn't think anyone would actually recognize my shirt.

RTX was really fun but I was only there for the Halo stuff. I'm not a Rooster Teeth fan in the slightest so if they have some exciting Halo stuff there again I'll go.

Overdoziz

Banned
I've been thinking about this some time. Halo has always had issues with making Objective gametypes appealing and preventing players from just going for kills. So what if Halo had score per minute like Battlefield. So in matches instead of showing off the amount of kills, captures or hill-time you have, it shows you the total amount of points you've gotten in a match, nothing else. An example of how you could distribute points is like this:

Slayer:
-Kills
-Assists

Capture The Flag:
-Capturing a flag
-Carrying a flag closer to the capture point (more points the closer you've gotten it)
-Killing an enemy flag carrier
-Assisting in killing an enemy flag carrier
-Killing an enemy player who is shooting your flag carrier
-Killing an enemy player who is near your flag carrier
-Recovering a flag
-Having your flag reset

King of the Hill:
-Standing in the hill for X amount of seconds
-Killing an enemy player while in the hill
-Killing an enemy player who are in or near the hill
-Killing an enemy player who is shooting at a teammate in the hill
-Assisting in killing an enemy who is in the hill

*Depending on whether friendly fire is on or off you could make it so the entire team gets points for completing an objective.

Keep in mind, the scoring in, for example, a Slayer match still goes up to 50, but the leaderboards won't show you the amount of kills an individual player has, just how many points he has gotten from his assists and kills. Similarly, in a CTF match it won't show you how many captures each individual player has gotten, because that gives way too little credit to the people who've been helping out capturing those flags.

Along with the in-game leaderboards I suggest not displaying K/D straight-up on the online stats page or post-game stats. It would show you the amount of kills and deaths, but that's it. Having the score per minute statistic be the main focus will hopefully encourage more people to go for the objective simply because that reaps you a much greater reward than going for kills in objective gametype matches. For that to work the amount of points you get for helping with the objective should far outweigh the amount you get for kills in Slayer matches.

--

What we shouldn't forget is to make the gametype competitively viable. Seriously, creating settings that make sense is not that hard Bungie/343. Every competent player who plays an Adrift CTF match will notice soon enough that a 30 second recovery timer will not work well. Stuff like that should never make it into matchmaking, ever. Random elements don't work either, as "dynamic" as you think they are. No random hills, no random Oddball respawn locations, none of that. Have sequenced hill orders, only have one respawn location for Oddball. Please, get it right for once. That's the first step in not making people play Slayer 99% of the time: make the gametypes not suck.

Something else that could also be considered is only making Objective gametypes show up if there's two teams of 4 with no randoms in a match. The vast majority of people who jump into matchmaking solo don't want to play objective, let alone against a full team. This means that these solo players will be less likely to quit out because they're not up against a stacked team as often, and not in a gametype where they an just endlessly kill them until the time runs out. Another great thing about this is that because players in teams of 4 will quit out less often, not only will solo players experience less quitters, so will teams of 4. Everyone wins.

BTB is probably an exception to this system, because there aren't nearly as many teams of 8 as there are of 4. Plus, matches tend to be a lot more laid back in BTB compared to 4v4.

TheOddOne

UPmFt.gif

FyreWulff

Whoever's on the cap machine needs to mute + pause the preview video on the twitch dashboard.

I've noticed lately it ignores when you try to tell it to hide itself.

Wareh FanFic

See here is the thing I disagree with about your sandbox.

While elements are interesting you ultimately just make things worse because you add soo much fluff and shit to it.

Every player has every AA that's now based on a single cool down timer with individual consumption rates and everything is just adding more and more and distracting more from the Core gameplay.

Admittedly I skim your posts but its seems you invented like 10 new weapons and crammed them besides what is effectively a Halo4 Reach fusion sandbox. Its going to have redundancy issues and too all that you now want every player to have every AA and be able to switch between them at the drop of a hat.

Its just layers of complexity when Halo 4 is way too complicated to start with.

The sandbox needs stripping back to its roots.

Close Range weapon (SMG/AR)
Medium Range weapon (BR)
Long Range weapon (Sniper)
Explosive weapon (Rockets)
Quirk Weapon (Grenade Launcher)
Side Arm (Pistol)

Covenant weapons and Promethean weapons then need to be overhauled so they each have unique functions.

Having 4 rifles that do essentially the same thing is bloat, 3 Spray and Pray weapons is bloat. Multiple power weapons that despite having different effects virtually all have the same function bloat.

Trim Dat Fat.

IHaveIce

Banned
I love 2 Snipers on smaller maps, but the Beam rifle is the wrong decision, it is just toooo easy to kill with it.

But good weapon set up I guess for monolith

Top Bottom