• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT15| Beta-tested, GAF approved

blamite

Can't get to my Xbox account right now, but does Add File actually initiate a dl to your Xbox or just copy it to your share? It seems like it just copied it to my share.

Holy shit, it literally just copies it to your file share. You still have to go to your share in-game to actually download things. How in the world did 343 actually manage to not include a direct download feature? Like the one Bungie had on Day 1 almost six years ago?

Blueblur1

A few OT's back I put a pic up and everyone went nuts. How out of line it was.

images_zps3cf760d1.jpg

Yeah, if you are the lead of a decade long franchise MP that generates the lowest population online of said game andyou have to hire community pro's to fix that shit you probably should not keep your job.

Especially when 90% of the changes are hated by the community.

Hey I know how we can add perks! We can add things or nerf other things that Halo had before!
Saying that the guy should be fired is a bit much. We don't know if the undesirable changes made to Halo multiplayer were actually his fault. For all we know it was a Microsoft executive who ordered that the 343 crib stuff from Call of Duty. Or maybe it was a whole team of folks who created and decided on the changes. My point is don't crucify the guy. If anything, make it a point that the Halo 5 MP be better prepared and staffed with veteran Halo players. Provide input instead of attacking people.

Kevin Bashing is pretty fucking low.

Bashing? It's not like anyone is calling him names. What would you prefer, we congratulate him? Tell me one thing this guy did right.

Says the guy who got offended by:

iAvoQdx1Lvhfq.gif

Yes, and?

Ok, you can quote. So since you brought it up what is the problem exactly? 2 other members on the same page mentioned Kevin but you are coming after me. Ok. I really don't fee like being banned but if you want to google it, you can see why my first reaction was as such. I didn't trash the map or their work.

You want to defend Kevin then do that but at least aim it towards the group and not one member.

Bashing? It's not like anyone is calling him names. What would you prefer, we congratulate him? Tell me one thing this guy did right.

Yes, and?

Ok, you can quote. So since you brought it up what is the problem exactly? 2 other members on the same page mentioned Kevin but you are coming after me. Ok. I really don't fee like being banned but if you want to google it, you can see why my first reaction was as such. I didn't trash the map or their work.

You want to defend Kevin then do that but at least aim it towards the group and not one member.

I literlly haven't mentioned Kevin.

Holy shit, it literally just copies it to your file share. You still have to go to your share in-game to actually download things. How in the world did 343 actually manage to not include a direct download feature? Like the one Bungie had on Day 1 almost six years ago?

You mean the Download button that never worked for me in 3, ODST, or Reach unless I restarted my Xbox 360, forcing me to just copy it to my fileshare and download from there?

Saying that the guy should be fired is a bit much. We don't know if the undesirable changes made to Halo multiplayer were actually his fault. For all we know it was a Microsoft executive who ordered that the 343 crib stuff from Call of Duty. Or maybe it was a whole team of folks who created and decided on the changes. My point is don't crucify the guy. If anything, make it a point that the Halo 5 MP be better prepared and staffed with veteran Halo players. Provide input instead of attacking people.

Everyone listen to this guy, he knows what's up.

Again just quoting me, the pic says ruining. I elaborated another members post who I agree with. I'll drop out of this convo now I guess but I do not think Kevin should be back on Halo again. It's no different than calling out Yukes for WWE 12 (bad servers) or EA for Madden stuff.

FyreWulff

You mean the Download button that never worked for me in 3, ODST, or Reach unless I restarted my Xbox 360, forcing me to just copy it to my fileshare and download from there?

I think 3 and ODST required restarting because it only checked for incoming files at the start of each session. Or at least it seemed to force the DL to 'pop'.

Reach should have definitely downloaded files without restarting, because I used it a lot. Sometimes it'd take a bit for it to actually go though, it tended to force a check and dl after finishing a MM game.

Also, Halo Wars dl'd but shows up as corrupted on this 360. Oh well, guess I at least have it for when I go back to the States now.

I tried to find some people outraged about Landfall, but instead I found this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P002oxBBb3w

Please don't watch that if you're sensitive about 9/11 or Halo.

Not sure why I'm sharing it. It's just odd. I don't even know how I feel about it. There's something about those events being recreated in what is ostensibly a children's toy—and probably by a child, no less—that's both evocative, but also disturbing. I don't know. Weird. Why did someone feel compelled to make this?

What would i prefer? I wouldn't call for the guy to be fucking fired. I was not aware you had inside details and could personally vouch that every problematic issue with Halo 4 was down to one man.

Disagree with what he did that's fine I do to. But come on calling for him to be fired? That's low.

It's no different than calling out Yukes for WWE 12 (bad servers) or EA for Madden stuff.

Except a single man is not a corporate entity.

I literlly haven't mentioned Kevin.

Send a PM if you want to continue. You quoted me twice about it. If you don't want members to respond then don't call them out with quotes. I mentioned it once, 60+ pages ago. The only one bringing it up again is you. There is no reason to discuss it. That's what I thought when I saw the map the first time. End of story.

Ghazi

I don't understand why everyone's immediately getting angry at something that may or my not resemble 9/11. I haven't seen the gif of the skybox in the past 24 hours but I didn't think of 9/11 the first time I saw it. And while I didn't see 9/11 in person I did see it on TV and I've gotten shit for it my whole life about it just for my ethnicity so it's not like I could just forget about it. So I think this whole argument is being blown out of proportion. Maybe boycotting or calling out someone on this is fine, but selling your Xbox over it seems like an overreaction. Especially with that example of Metal Gear Risking mentioned.

Send a PM if you want to continue. You quoted me twice about it. If you don't want members to respond then don't call them out with quotes. I mentioned it once, 60+ pages ago. The only one bringing it up again is you. There is no reason to discuss it. That's what I thought when I saw the map the first time. End of story.

The first mistake offended people make is assuming being offended makes you right.

What would i prefer? I wouldn't call for the guy to be fucking fired. I was not aware you had inside details and could personally vouch that every problematic issue with Halo 4 was down to one man.

Disagree with what he did that's fine I do to. But come on calling for him to be fired? That's low.

Except a single man is not a corporate entity.

Fine, how about he is removed from Halo MP and gets to keep his job. Does that work better?

I am not going back 2 pages to where this started, the point is I am not the only one who posted anything about Kevin. Your gif is inaccurate but good luck next time getting in on the fun!

I don't understand why everyone's immediately getting angry at something that may or my not resemble 9/11. I haven't seen the gif of the skybox in the past 24 hours but I didn't think of 9/11 the first time I saw it. And while I didn't see 9/11 in person I did see it on TV and I've gotten shit for it my whole life about it just for my ethnicity so it's not like I could just forget about it. So I think this whole argument is being blown out of proportion. Maybe boycotting or calling out someone on this is fine, but selling your Xbox over it seems like an overreaction. Especially with that example of Metal Gear Risking mentioned.

Nobody (including me) is talking about 9/11. Someone quoted an old post of mine and that's how it started. Let's all just drop it.

If I quote you a year from now as an example as to how wrongly you place blame, will it be any less true?

You said their influence was 9/11 for fuck's sake.

It's not so much defending Kevin as it is pointing out that the way you place blame seems awfully.... misguided.

Karl2177

I am not going back 2 pages to where this started, the point is I am not the only one who posted anything about Kevin. Your gif is inaccurate but good luck next time getting in on the fun!

I'm baffled right now. So the one who whines when people call him out saying to call out a group has free reign to call out a single member of 343 Industries?

Your reply is inaccurate but good luck next time not being a total hypocrite!

If I quote you a year from now as an example as to how wrongly you place blame, will it be any less true?

You said their influence was 9/11 for fuck's sake.

It's not so much defending Kevin as it is pointing out that the way you place blame seems awfully.... misguided.

I am not going through this 9/11 thing again.

Ok, so if I am misguided who is the MP lead designer again? Did that person do a good job? Maybe I should have been more PC and said they should reassign him to Warthog wheel texture designer.

I think 3 and ODST required restarting because it only checked for incoming files at the start of each session. Or at least it seemed to force the DL to 'pop'.

Reach should have definitely downloaded files without restarting, because I used it a lot. Sometimes it'd take a bit for it to actually go though, it tended to force a check and dl after finishing a MM game.

Also, Halo Wars dl'd but shows up as corrupted on this 360. Oh well, guess I at least have it for when I go back to the States now.

Yeah now that you mention it I do remember it working in Reach, but it definitely was not instant like just copying to the fileshare was.

I tried to find some people outraged about Landfall, but instead I found this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P002oxBBb3w

Please don't watch that if you're sensitive about 9/11 or Halo.

Not sure why I'm sharing it. It's just odd. I don't even know how I feel about it. There's something about those events being recreated in what is ostensibly a children's toy—and probably by a child, no less—that's both evocative, but also disturbing. I don't know. Weird. Why did someone feel compelled to make this?

Has no one ever heard of WW2 games before? WW1? etc, etc. Ever play those ten thousand re-enactments of D-Day? Honestly, getting offended over this is just absolutely absurd, imo. Aliens attacking a city and the ensuing smoke isn't exactly an original concept. And re-enacting historical events isn't disturbing to me, tragedy or not. Years from now we'll be teaching this stuff in schools like all of the events that happen in human history. Being offended is your problem, not everyone else's. That's not even considering the assumption that that was even Landfall's designer's intent anyway, which I think is equally absurd.

(not directed at you specifically)

IHaveIce

Banned
Sorry to bring this up again, but eventhough I'm not offended or think 343 did it on intention you can't tell me Landfall's skybox does remind you of this
EDIT: and it is ok. Like Greencastle said.. there are tons of games referencing terrible things out of our cruel real world.

And on the Kevin Franklin case, yeah maybe he wasn't the root of all evil, but I'm with Kyle, I don't think he had the qualification to be the lead multiplayer designer.
Firing sounds hard, but I'm honest.. I don't want him to design the next game, so how should I say it politely? I hope they find a replacement for him?

Also while changing the MP lead designer, change the UI designers.. seriously if we had at work something that was well working ( like the reach UI) and I would change it to something lesser appealing and kind of dumb thing ( Halo 4's UI) .. guess what?
I would get my ass kicked and would be assigned to do other work, they will find someone better.

But I think they can't fire any UI designers because it was outsourced probably lol.

At last guys keep it cool.

I'm baffled right now. So the one who whines when people call him out saying to call out a group has free reign to call out a single member of 343 Industries?

Your reply is inaccurate but good luck next time not being a total hypocrite!

Wrong again my friend. I didn't whine. He called me out, I answered him. I never said anyone should be called out. I am saying that if he was so bothered at the Kevin stuff he could have directed it at more than just me. Yes I can go after a single member of 343i, I didn't call him names. I did not like his decisions. When you make a public game that costs money the consumer is allowed to say, I didn't like something someone in the credits did.

Why is that an issue?

Instead you call me name, you jumped in buddy. You didn't go after the other guys you went after me most likely before you bothered to read a few pages back. If you don't agree about Kevin then stop quoting me.

It's like forums 101 - quote a guy when you want him to respond.

For the record:
Yeah, if you are the lead of a decade long franchise MP that generates the lowest population online of said game andyou have to hire community pro's to fix that shit you probably should not keep your job.

Especially when 90% of the changes are hated by the community.

Hey I know how we can add perks! We can add things or nerf other things that Halo had before!

I still have yet to see a post saying exactly what I said was wrong. All I hear is oh no! Kevin!!!

Meanwhile 343i has been spending months trying to clean the MP mess up. Stop it already.

Loginius

People get offended because burning citys remind them of 9/11 now?
Holy shit do I have some storys to tell you (im German).

Not exactly the same thing but I guess you get the point.

How about you ask some Japanese guys how they feel about citys getting blown up.

Sorry to bring this up again, but eventhough I'm not offended or think 343 did it on intention you can't tell me Landfall's skybox does remind you of this

EDIT: and it is ok. Like Greencastle said.. there are tons of games referencing terrible things out of our cruel real world.

And on the Kevin Franklin case, yeah maybe he wasn't the root of all evil, but I'm with Kyle, I don't think he had the qualification to be the lead multiplayer designer.
Firing sounds hard, but I'm honest.. I don't want him to design the next game, so how should I say it politely? I hope they find a replacement for him?

Also while changing the MP lead designer, change the UI designers.. seriously if we had at work something that was well working ( like the reach UI) and I would change it to something lesser appealing and kind of dumb thing ( Halo 4's UI) .. guess what?
I would get my ass kicked and would be assigned to do other work, they will find someone better.

But I think they can't fire any UI designers because it was outsourced probably lol.

At last guys keep it cool.

You are making too much sense. You would have been better off posting a gif making fun of me instead of actually comprehending what I wrote.

heckfu

Banned
I still have yet to see a post saying exactly what I said was wrong. All I hear is oh no! Kevin!!!

Meanwhile 343i has been spending months trying to clean the MP mess up. Stop it already.

Kevin Franklin didn't make all of these decisions by himself. And not only that, the population is the population and it's going to be less than CoD but still ranks 4th on the live charts week after weeks and weeks after release. If you get rid of Kevin you should fire the whole studio for allowing all of these changes to go through.

Hell, they're a subdivision of Microsoft, might as well fire all of them too for working at the same company.

OR, and this is crazy, we can keep voicing concerns and let them try to fix it and go from here instead of asking for a genuinely nice guy to lose his job.

Karl2177

Kevin Franklin didn't make all of these decisions by himself. And not only that, the population is the population and it's going to be less than CoD but still ranks 4th on the live charts week after weeks and weeks after release. If you get rid of Kevin you should fire the whole studio for allowing all of these changes to go through.

Hell, they're a subdivision of Microsoft, might as well fire all of them too for working at the same company.

OR, and this is crazy, we can keep voicing concerns and let them try to fix it and go from here instead of asking for a genuinely nice guy to lose his job.

You are making too much sense. You would have been better off posting a gif making fun of me instead of actually comprehending what I wrote.

J10

Banned

Yes, and?

If he were in charge of maintaining a nuclear powerplant that just melted down, or leader of a nation that just invaded a peaceful country, or a pro football coach who cheated, I could understand wanting to fuck with his livelyhood.

Dude made a videogame you didn't like - and he didn't even do it by himself. I agree, Halo 4 isn't good, but you need to calm the entire fuck down. You don't like his work, don't buy his product.

Team leads are usually the ones to go (or be reassigned) when something goes wrong like this. If it was right, they wouldn't be spending time trying to fix it. They would not have brought in Bravo and had the other guys testing the maps, they would have done it to begin with. I never said he wasn't a nice guy. I said he probably shouldn't keep his job so we can disagree about it.

If someone else was the MP lead the game might be different.

heckfu

Banned
Team leads are usually the ones to go (or be reassigned) when something goes wrong like this. If it was right, they wouldn't be spending time trying to fix it. They would not have brought in Bravo and had the other guys testing the maps, they would have done it to begin with. I never said he wasn't a nice guy. I said he probably shouldn't keep his job so we can disagree about it.

If someone else was the MP lead the game might be different.

I'm not sure what went wrong other than you not liking the game. 4th highest xbox live population and some of the highest selling numbers for Halo seems like a success to me.

You not liking the game sounds like a different, oh, I don't know, kind of personal problem.

lol, fist pump bro.

I won't respond, let me piggy back on Heckfu instead of just letting it go because the guy made a good point.

If he were in charge of maintaining a nuclear powerplant that just melted down, or leader of a nation that just invaded a peaceful country, or a pro football coach who cheated, I could understand wanting to fuck with his livelyhood.

Dude made a videogame you didn't like - and he didn't even do it by himself. I agree, Halo 4 isn't good, but you need to calm the entire fuck down. You don't like his work, don't buy his product.

Oh. Let's try this again. Hi, I'm JHFerry. I don't like Halo 4 MP. I think maybe they need to have different people do the MP design in the next game.

Top Bottom