• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT18| We're Back Baby!

Omni

Uh, Halo 4 has some amazing skyboxes too...

Not really. Pretty much all of them are horribly compressed .jpgs that are jarring to look at (That one level in campaign where you fly the Pelican is nice though). Multiplayer skyboxes are even more awful
I think they were getting better with each DLC, but still a huge step back from Reach.

FyreWulff

Microsoft owns the Halo IP. I somehow doubt that Bungie would take on a PC port of the franchise they just sold to work on a new IP.

It would almost definitely be outsourced.

Bungie isn't going to take on porting their previous games past their retail prime while also handling 360, PS3, Xbone, and PS4 versions of Destiny.

Better to hire some russians and texans to do the work, then delete all 3 companies logos from the game's startup sequence

Tawpgun

I just figured it was some alien cloud formation. I like the color and majority of he skybox in that level. Feels bright and cheery.

Uh, Halo 4 has some amazing skyboxes too...

Not even on the same level. In their defense it's hard to top bungle skyboxes.

Ark cloud looks better than vertigo cloud.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
There is some good stuff in there. Bungie has always done amazing skybox work, but 343's first shot isn't bad.

897e2607473a4a26776eabdaa39dde91.jpeg

Not quite Bungie's level, but I still enjoyed most of them especially in single player.

Fuchsdh

The composition doesn't look very natural, it looks kinda layered and unfinished. Not awful, but not great.
Well, that's probably because it is layered--they have to do all the distance fog yadda yadda effects beforehand since they aren't true 3D, thus it doesn't look as good.

Nowise10

The funny thing about this skybox is that it is actually just a small bubble that ingolfs that small area . You can move and if you look up at it you can see you move along with it. If you skip its deloading zone you can go outside by the cliffs and it will still be phased their.

as such:

Ragnaroks skybox is like this too. If you move and look at the sky you can clearly see its just a small bubble around the map.

And don't even get me started on the "space" skybox 343 attempted to pull off in the final mission of the game.

The funny thing about this skybox is that it is actually just a small bubble that ingolfs that small area . You can move and if you look up at it you can see you move along with it. If you skip its deloading zone you can go outside by the cliffs and it will still be phased their.

Ragnaroks skybox is like this too. If you move and look at the sky you can clearly see its just a small bubble around the map.

And don't even get me started on the "space" skybox 343 attempted to pull off in the final mission of the game.
Lol dat wallpaper

FyreWulff

Yeah, the major annoyance with flat skyboxes for me is the lack of parallax and the distortion.

Really obvious from that Harvest pre-release walkthrough a while back, they drive from one end of the map to the other but nothing in the skybox moves.

Long Night of Solace space skybox vs H4's space skybox is the most direct comparison to make. One makes you feel like you're near a planet. The other feels like you're flying towards earth.jpg

BDoxp.jpg

DeadNames

Banned
Since were on the topic of Skyboxes, obligatory Standoff post.

Seriously, that map has my favorite skybox of any Halo map ever. The huge satellite dishes combined with an African sahara is just sweet.

Damn, I miss Halo 3. :/

Nowise10

Since were on the topic of Skyboxes, obligatory Standoff post.

Seriously, that map has my favorite skybox of any Halo map ever. The huge satellite dishes combined with an African sahara is just sweet.

Damn, I miss Halo 3. :/

They also had birds flying above the level you could shoot.
And you could see the trail of jets or some kind of plane flying in the sky everynow and then.

I miss when levels had ambiance and scenery and detail :(

FyreWulff

And you could see the trail of jets or some kind of plane flying in the sky everynow and then.

ICBMs.

Can't unsee Carneymoon every time I load up the map, though

daedalius

This is so absurdly hyperbolic.

ALL BUNGIE LEVELS ARE GREAT ALL HALO 4 LEVELS ARE GARBO

daedalius

So nitpicky.

Obviously he feels he bungie did level skyboxes/ambience better.

Something id agree with.

It is pretty easy to tell they pushed the hardware more towards shinier graphics rather than more interactive, ambient, open spaces.

Hopefully this will be rectified and we can have both on the new hardware.

He left Bungie several years ago, not sure what he's up to lately. Last I recall was a post from Urk saying he was spending a lot of time with family. Probably enjoying being out of the spotlight, I'd imagine.

1) I think that was Brian politely dancing around the question.

2) Since that interview Bungie signed a 10-year development deal for Destiny, which is their sole focus for now.

I think they were ready to be done with Halo; the folks that really loved it and wanted to make more went to 343.

Brian said in 10 years, lines up with the 10 year deal with Activision. Yea i am reaching ; )

Nowise10

It is pretty easy to tell they pushed the hardware more towards shinier graphics rather than more interactive, ambient, open spaces.

Hopefully this will be rectified and we can have both on the new hardware.

I don't understand why people think with this mindset. Do you honestly think Halo 4 is at the absolute limits it cant add detail into a level?

That's a joke.

Also like to add CA has been adding some pretty nice scenery into levels, so they can keep that up and I'd be cool. Although they should add birds back.

Protip to make halo fun:

-don't use 20 fuel rod cannon elites with shit AI
-use 2 or 3 fuel rod elites with a few lesser covvies with gud AI
-use extra model budget to make 3D skyboxes again instead of it looks fine if you don't scope in.jpg

hier wahurrurur

daedalius

]I don't understand why people think with this mindset. Do you honestly think Halo 4 is at the absolute limits it cant add detail into a level?

That's a joke.[/B]

This is an excellent debate since neither of us have any clue about the resource limits the designers and programmers had to create within.

We should continue.

If they aren't at the limits of detail, what, do you think they are lazy? Is that your reasoning?

Nowise10

If they aren't at the limits of detail, what, do you think they are lazy? Is that your reasoning?

More then likely the fact is they don't think about when creating levels.

And you're right, I don't really know all that much about what they do or how much "space" is left, but I can tell you they can add detail into a level. I just don't understand why people think otherwise.

Tawpgun

This is an excellent debate since neither of us have any clue about the resource limits the designers and programmers had to create within.

We should continue.

Not lazy but its crystal clear the game was rushed.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Oh yeah, and yesterday monsterfracas told me that 343 is cutting the Legendary Slayer playlist, opting instead to mix the gametype into the Infinity Slayer playlist? So that's Infinity Slayer, Slayer Pro, and now Legendary Slayer all in the same playlist...

It's like 343 learned nothing from Reach.

nillapuddin

It really is. These "basketball courts" are fucking fun too.

They should really take Grifball, Ricochet,
(not saying this because of my involvement)
Basketball, and some interesting Halo Ball stuff (dodgeball, etc)

and make some sort of Sports playlist.

I'll believe it when I see it.

I'm expecting Halo 2 meets Reach in the sense that we'll be getting broken promises about "open world" shit, but people will explore anyway by doing all sorts of cool community stuff to get out of the maps.

Interesting, i did some research and apparently Halo 5 was indeed in development before Halo 4 released.

Isn't that the case for almost every Halo title though? Even Bungie had ODST and whatnot in slight development predating Halo 3 going gold.

Dongs Macabre

aka Daedalos42
More dev time is good,what's wrong?

Depends on how much they already did. If it's just the engine and stuff, then that's fine, but if they already started implementing stuff that people didn't like in Halo 4, they would either have to scrap them, or be lazy and just keep them in the game.

Top Bottom