• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT18| We're Back Baby!

BigShow36

I think the whole gist of short kill times is it's about the minimum time if you were a perfect shot, which is different from the average time in the real sandbox seems like people are assuming. FUNKNOWN, correct me if I'm wrong, but your big thing is it's too easy to be a perfect shot nowadays?

Precisely.

Which leads to a whole slew of other problems. 343 and Bungie kept trying to fix these problems with Band-Aids without every addressing the actual problem, which in turn just created more problems. If they would just open up the skill-gap, so many issues would resolve themselves.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
I appreciate the love and regardless of what happens I'll keep doing the Cartographer stuff, keep up with HaloGAF and do HaloGAF Radio.

Halo Halo Halo Halo Halo Halo Halo

I guess in a way they tried to CoD it in every way except that, by putting waypoints over everything, handing everybody tons of perks, adding killstreak-type stuff, taking away on-map weapons. But yep, still totally failed.

I think the whole gist of short kill times is it's about the minimum time if you were a perfect shot, which is different from the average time in the real sandbox seems like people are assuming. FUNKNOWN, correct me if I'm wrong, but your big thing is it's too easy to be a perfect shot nowadays?

Yeah. Gears Judgment is a good example of this with the Markza. The other weapons are incredibly easy to use, but the Markza has little aim assist with a fast kill time. On paper it may appear to be cheap, but in practice it's balanced by its skill curve.

People see the "3sk" on paper and raise pitchforks, when in reality they're not taking into consideration the surrounding mechanics and how it functions within a properly balanced sandbox. In a way I can't blame them because if you haven't experienced firsthand the flow of Halo 1 on a daily basis in its prime, you couldn't possibly empathize. I don't mean that to sound elitist as I'm sure people may take it that way regardless, but it's just the reality of it. I just wish more people would be open-minded towards the possibility of Combat Evolved fans not being crazy fanatics.

For anyone who plays Smash Bros., consider how 64/Melee fans felt once Brawl came out. That's how H1 fans felt once Halo 2 came out.

People see the "3sk" on paper and raise pitchforks, when in reality they're not taking into consideration the surrounding mechanics and how it functions within a properly balanced sandbox. In a way I can't blame them because if you haven't experienced firsthand the flow of Halo 1 on a daily basis in its prime, you couldn't possibly empathize. I don't mean that to sound elitist as I'm sure people may take it that way regardless, but it's just the reality of it. I just wish more people would be open-minded towards the possibility of Combat Evolved fans not being crazy fanatics.

See, I started with Halo 2 so I really don't know. Have any good gameplay vids on youtube handy (that aren't just ZOMG montage moments)? The only vague equivalent in recent memory I can think of is the grenade launcher from Reach, which took a lot of practice to get consistent kills with.

And were the mechanics of the xbox CE magnum and PC magnum different? I remember that coming up back when I posted on waypoint occasionally and nobody had a consistent answer.

BigShow36

And were the mechanics of the xbox CE magnum and PC magnum different? I remember that coming up back when I posted on waypoint occasionally and nobody had a consistent answer.

The feel of the games was different. Hard to pin it down exactly, but I think the actual mechanics of the weapon itself were nearly identical.

Except 10x worse.

Brawl literally killed competitive Smash whereas Halo 2/3 at least grew the scene.

Brawl was an awesome game.

It was an awesome package, but not a great Smash game IMO. Auto ledge grabs, extremely floaty physics, no hitstun.. the list goes on.

That being said, have you tried Project M or some other Brawl mods like Brawl+/-? They're way more fun and balanced. Even messing around with default Brawl on Dolphin by adding cheats like no auto ledge grabs and auto landing lag cancels made the default gameplay vastly superior.

Taking away Z/L cancels in Smash was like taking backpack reloading and double melees with grenades (risk/reward) out of Halo :[ - I can live without them, but hopefully the game is sped up as a result. Sadly with Halo, things have only gotten slower (H4 was the first Halo game faster than its predecessor, so that's an improvement).

As long as the online is great in the next Smash, I'm sure it'll be a fun game anyway. If you're ever interested to see high level 2v2's and why Smash 64 was easily the best for team play, check out some of my streams. I still play this online all the time B]

See, I started with Halo 2 so I really don't know. Have any good gameplay vids on youtube handy (that aren't just ZOMG montage moments)? The only vague equivalent in recent memory I can think of is the grenade launcher from Reach, which took a lot of practice to get consistent kills with.

Halo PC felt off overall. I think it had something to do with the framerate trying to be higher with Halo 1 being locked at 30fps, but I'm not too sure on the technicalities of it so I can't comment with certain accuracy. As far as videos, there are tons out there. Google some, but here's something I randomly found.

The HUD was a little different and they added this robotic sound for when shots were registered. Specs and other technicalities aside, the demographic was also much different. Most of the matches I've played/saw being hosted on PC were on BTB maps whereas the culture of XBC was all about the intimate, 2v2/4v4 engagements.

Testers don't generally have much say in the development process though. They just test the game to see if it works as intended, following the guidelines of the design team. (might be wrong, just going by what I have read about game development.) Unless we are talking more of external feedback testing, which may or may not have more impact depending on how much 343 listens this time.

What would it take for you to be utterly disappointed with a new Halo game? What is your criteria for failure? That's what many of don't see.

Failure for me would be things like allowing cheating at levels of Halo 2, abandoning sustain 100%, bugs that make the game literally unplayable, developer communication on the level of secrecy like CCP, that feel of Halo controls being lost, no in game rank for next gen Halo, developer disdain for their own community etc.

I'm happy to play a new game or content each time, after all I could still play older Halo games instead of the newer ones but I find it more enjoyable to play the newest versions. A weekly throwback to older titles is enough for me to see the hits and misses of newer titles.

For some clarity previous fails are things like 2's cliffhanger, 4's lack of things at launch, 3's lack of hitscan, 2 & 3's cheating/mm mods, 3's community lack of love for CTF/obj, 4's CTF waypoints and no dropping (not a 100% fail but not as good as classic CTF) and more.

CyReN

Halo 4 news came out in early March of 2012, still looks good

gif3bqadk.gif

gif24hx72.gif

Adrift looked a lot better looking back at it.

Mace Griffin

Neo Member
Yeah. Gears Judgment is a good example of this with the Markza. The other weapons are incredibly easy to use, but the Markza has little aim assist with a fast kill time. On paper it may appear to be cheap, but in practice it's balanced by its skill curve.

For anyone who plays Smash Bros., consider how 64/Melee fans felt once Brawl came out. That's how H1 fans felt once Halo 2 came out.

Excellent post. Developers just don't seem to understand this concept at all recently or choose to ignore it. The most popular current FPS games have a skill gap where almost everyone achieves near identical kill-times. It seems pointless to even play them. I don't understand how these CoD fans derive any enjoyment from it.

I guess its the constant back patting and levelling up that keeps them playing thinking they are earning something. Such numpties.

Even the team colors look better :(

That azure is way better than the dumbass pastel blue we got. And why the hell did they get rid of Pink Team in exchange for the vastly inferior cyan?

Top Bottom