• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT18| We're Back Baby!

IHaveIce

Banned
Halo in the first half of 2014. So before July with essentially ZERO marketing. 9 month away?

Sure sounds exactly like 343 marketing.

yeah while it surely is a mistake on their part, I wouldn't even be surprised. Halo 4's promotianal campaign started really late, had huge gaps and lacked information.

I expect nothing better this time, hell we probably won't even get a trailer at the VGAs again

Halo 4's promotianal campaign started really late
Did it?
E3 2011 announce, HaloFest coverage at PAX, Game Informer Unveil, Spring Showcase Multiplayer & Chief Redesign, E3 2012 Singleplayer and Infinity unveil, Forerunner Vidoc mix of multiplayer stuff in the summer, Forge, Awful CTF etc, another Vidoc, Forward Unto Dawn & the Scanned trailer.

Seems to be the traditional scheduling for a lot of shooters these days.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
I dunno, I'm liking its design:

ixcc7wTARIClw.gif

I'm glad they're showing what Godzilla actually looks like. I was worried it was going to be Cloverfield all over again. I wanna see the monsters man!

IHaveIce

Banned
Did it?
E3 2011 announce, HaloFest coverage at PAX, Game Informer Unveil, Spring Showcase Multiplayer & Chief Redesign, E3 2012 Singleplayer and Infinity unveil, Forerunner Vidoc mix of multiplayer stuff in the summer, Forge, Awful CTF etc, another Vidoc, Forward Unto Dawn & the Scanned trailer.

Seems to be the traditional scheduling for a lot of shooters these days.

HaloFest coverage gave us nothing really as infos. Game Informer threw more questions at us than answers. E3 gave us something yes.

For me the E3 was the first real set of news since the E3 2011 cg trailer.

I give you the ViDocs, though I still think Bungie did better with them. FUD was not really H4 news.

Maybe I'm just still salty we heard the worst news in a magazine that isn't even aviable worldwide ( gameinformer MP infos) and got no beta

Halo 5 needs a beta early before release so the community can tell them everything that is wrong and if needed serious overhauls can be made.

It won't happen.

As a side note these small scale internal, Friends and family beta's are useless.

You sell more in November, worked out great for them with Halo 4. I doubt they'll stray from that.

Absolutely I just expect Novemeber 2014 to be crazy for games, September is usually relativly empty but just on the crust of holiday ramp up. It worked great for previous Halo titles and GTA.

People can buy it for early Xmas present, Buy it because money is not yet focused on Xmas presents and because its a game free period usually.

You're most likely right and it will be Novemeber however.

Kibbles

Halo 5 needs a beta early before release so the community can tell them everything that is wrong and if needed serious overhauls can be made.

It won't happen.

As a side note these small scale internal, Friends and family beta's are useless.
This, seriously. The masses were already long gone by the time 343 tried fixing up Halo 4.

Scooby

Hopefully November. I want them to make take their time with Halo 5 it has to be perfect if they want to keep most of their loyal fans.

It won't happen.

Come on now, try and be positive! They will include beta access with Halo 3 PC.

HaloFest coverage gave us nothing really as infos. Game Informer threw more questions at us than answers. E3 gave us something yes.

For me the E3 was the first real set of news since the E3 2011 cg trailer.

I give you the ViDocs, though I still think Bungie did better with them. FUD was not really H4 news.

Maybe I'm just still salty we heard the worst news in a magazine that isn't even aviable worldwide ( gameinformer MP infos) and got no beta
You said promotional campaign, not "news".
So all of those things I mentioned apply.

Hopefully November. I want them to make take their time with Halo 5 it has to be perfect if they want to keep most of their loyal fans.

With a 2-year dev cycle, taking their time is already out of the window. Best they can do is just listen to what the community tells them and be transparent about what they are doing for the game.

Come on now, try and be positive! They will include beta access with Halo 3 PC.

That dreamboat has sailed.

I struggle to have hope for Halo 5 at all, It's saddening and I feel like a dick saying it because I'd wager a few devs actually read the posts here but 343i lost me with Halo 4. I can't find anything but frustration from the MP because of the plethora of problems those far more articulate than me have documented and while I still love the universe crafted by bungie after Halo 4 I feel less compelled than ever to return to it.

Spartans Ops was all hype no substance, features have been cut with no hint they will return and 343i's "vision" of Halo seems not to gel with my own.

A new gen is almost upon us hopefully something else will capture me as Halo did, Maybe destiny but I doubt it.

Tashi

That dreamboat has sailed.

I struggle to have hope for Halo 5 at all, It's saddening and I feel like a dick saying it because I'd wager a few devs actually read the posts here but 343i lost me with Halo 4. I can't find anything but frustration from the MP because of the plethora of problems those far more articulate than me have documented and while I still love the universe crafted by bungie after Halo 4 I feel less compelled than ever to return to it.

Spartans Ops was all hype no substance, features have been cut with no hint they will return and 343i's "vision" of Halo seems not to gel with my own.

A new gen is almost upon us hopefully something else will capture me as Halo did, Maybe destiny but I doubt it.

Don't worry. They'll show a quick clip of Halo XB1 in 60fps with classic settings and the hype train will start all over again. I will be the conductor of said hype train lol

Tashi

I'm giving Halo 5 the benefit of the doubt until I hear "Infinity"

They've changed the Infinity Slayer Playlist to Team Slayer and since launch matchmaking has implemented more and more gametypes/playlists that stray away from Infinity settings.

There are more factors that contribute to Halo 4's online population than just the maps/settings and playlists but they're definitely a large factor. Halo 4 lost a huge chunk of the hardcore audience and 343 knows it. I don't necessarily think they're gone forever though. Many people just want a Halo they can love again.

Fracas

#fuckonami
They've changed the Infinity Slayer Playlist to Team Slayer and since launch matchmaking has implemented more and more gametypes/playlists that stray away from Infinity settings.

There are more factors that contribute to Halo 4's online population than just the maps/settings and playlists but they're definitely a large factor. Halo 4 lost a huge chunk of the hardcore audience and 343 knows it. I don't necessarily think they're gone forever though. Many people just want a Halo they can love again.

That's pretty much the only reason I'll be keeping up with Halo 5's development. Even though Halo 4 isn't what I want it to be, it is a lot better than it was at launch, and feedback seems to matter to 343 to an extent.

I'm really hoping Halo 5 is good, because there are literally no other arena shooters in the foreseeable future. I'd buy an Xbox One solely for good Halo.

With a 2-year dev cycle, taking their time is already out of the window. Best they can do is just listen to what the community tells them and be transparent about what they are doing for the game.

Transparency is key for a franchise as beloved as Halo. Hopefully with the changes in policies and how players receive updates we'll be more involved, both before and after its release.

Something tells me we'll see "halo5br4sk60fps.gif" and everyone will cream their pants and the cycle will begin anew.

We'll end up getting the definitive Halo from the creators of Halo 4.

Don't worry. They'll show a quick clip of Halo XB1 in 60fps with classic settings and the hype train will start all over again. I will be the conductor of said hype train lol

I wonder if they'll show something that isn't representative of the what the game actually is like H4 again.

You guys are underestimating 343.

Last time they pulled out the gameplay on VHS on a crappy 10inch tube tv in the rafters of a barn recorded on a crappy shaky camera. I mean come on that was genius.

They're gonna go balls deep this time for sure. I'm just throwing out ideas right now but could you imagine the hype train originating from a Betamax video?

Insanity waiting to happen.

Tashi

I wonder if they'll show something that isn't representative of the what the game actually is like H4 again.

What they showed was BR slayer. It was one of the gametypes in development (1 of 6 Slayer types I believe). I'm not going to point fingers and say 343 gave us the bait and switch. We really don't know what happened to that gametype and the whole story with Infinity.

You guys are underestimating 343.

Last time they pulled out the gameplay on VHS on a crappy 10inch tube tv in the rafters of a barn recorded on a crappy shaky camera. I mean come on that was genius.

They're gonna go balls deep this time for sure. I'm just throwing out ideas right now but could you imagine the hype train originating from a Betamax video?

Insanity waiting to happen.

The Halo 5 leak will show up at 2:00AM PST on Cinemax.

gAg CruSh3r

Well I need a name for my map. I was going to do a video but it's not going to happen :/.. What do you guys think?
395414F5-39CD-42EC-9374-4F314E657BB7-3158-00000194C381F7C0_zps9762357e.jpg
947C71F3-AA29-4A4B-810C-14BCAA3F58A2-3158-00000194BEC14054_zps2f71d06d.jpg
135F6845-4647-4788-A646-E2FB724C5982-3158-00000194B8941208_zps62ba035e.jpg
A633324C-562F-49C0-9143-660AE6302DDB-3158-00000194ACDC2611_zpsab4501c4.jpg

Edit: forgot to tell you guys it's off my easyCRAP capture card lol sorry.

Cow

Well I need a name for my map. I was going to do a video but it's not going to happen :/.. What do you guys think?

Edit: forgot to tell you guys it's off my easyCRAP capture card lol sorry.

Use that capture card as inspiration. Call it Blur or something

What they showed was BR slayer. It was one of the gametypes in development (1 of 6 Slayer types I believe). I'm not going to point fingers and say 343 gave us the bait and switch. We really don't know what happened to that gametype and the whole story with Infinity.

Tashi plz!
plz!

They showed what the hardcore wanted to see, that original video was just much only BR and discussion about player movement.

The game was always going to have perks, AA's, 40 weapons, etc.

Obviously that was a gametype that existed at one point in development, but there's no way it represented the core or default gametype styles that are in the game.

gAg CruSh3r

I think you broke Gaf with those huge cell phone images...

How about Blurry McTit Pictures Map?

The structure in the background (with the ramp opening toward the screen) looks like the pillars on the side make legs, the roof makes a shell, and the ramp makes a head.

It's a turtle.

Call your map Turtle Cove.

Use that capture card as inspiration. Call it Blur or something

Haha. First of all, I posted off my phone those pictures. I apologies for the big blurry pictures; its not so bad if its smaller size lol... Second, I will take Blur as a inspirational name for it lol. Third, Turtles Cove sounds pretty cool as well as Blur. Finally, sorry about the big ass blurry pictures.

Tashi plz!
plz!

They showed what the hardcore wanted to see, that original video was just much only BR and discussion about player movement.

The game was always going to have perks, AA's, 40 weapons, etc.

Obviously that was a gametype that existed at one point in development, but there's no way it represented the core or default gametype styles that are in the game.

Reminds me of people dying for the Halo 1 Pistol's return in Halo 3 and that alpha footage revealing the new Pistol that looked similar.

People. Went. Crazy. Then Bungie kept talking about how skillful Pistol players can use it effectively against anything else lmfao - Honestly though, if that weapon had more range with a 2x scope.. probably would've used it more frequently over the BR.

-EDIT-

it landed ol gag crusher on a one-way ticket to my ignore list.

but never you diogo. never you.

If Tashi would just stop avoiding him and play the damn map already, maybe he wouldn't be on your ignore list right now!

:(...

I'm upgrading my capture card soon :(.

Just start wrapping your pics in [ quote][/quote] tags (without that space)

Top Bottom