• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT18| We're Back Baby!

Ghazi

I really want them to revisit equipment and keep everyone spawning with the same thing. This leads to a more controllable and easier to balance sandbox. They can keep those notifications on the screen for when a weapon spawns if they really have to and I'd think that'd work really well. Having stuff like Radar Jammer or Grav Lift would be awesome. a Thruster Pack with limited uses or one time use Autoturret that must be picked up would be cool as well. I also hope they keep the number of weapon reskins down or at least add more unique characteristics to the different faction weapons.

Ordnance could be a Action Sack gametype if they really wanted to keep it.

Obscured

I really want them to revisit equipment and keep everyone spawning with the same thing. This leads to a more controllable and easier to balance sandbox. They can keep those notifications on the screen for when a weapon spawns if they really have to and I'd think that'd work really well. Having stuff like Radar Jammer or Grav Lift would be awesome. a Thruster Pack with limited uses or one time use Autoturret that must be picked up would be cool as well. I also hope they keep the number of weapon reskins down or at least add more unique characteristics to the different faction weapons.

Iimited use equipment could be a good idea. Even limited use AA could be interesting. Imagine if you could still pick you load out, but only could use it maybe three times in an entire match. Or on map pickups that have unlimited use but don't expire or disappear. So whoever grabs it has an advantage but also becomes a target. Not saying these should be base gameplay, but options would be cool. In general I think they should try to stick to basics and then go crazy with custom options.

I do like the ordnance markers, but feel like it should be timed. I would be fine with personal ordnance if it was just ammunition and grenade resupply.

In both cases I think there are fun, interesting, and maybe even competitive things they could do with load outs and ordnance, but we'll see how it plays out.

I always like new maps, but I'm not sure if I'm going to grab these or not. I'm a bit worried they wouldn't pop up enough in matchmaking ( although unlike others I've had good luck getting plenty of time on the existing map packs)

gAg CruSh3r

I feel like anything AA that can throw a player off completely should be removed. Such as Active Camo, Jet packs, and maybe Thruster pack. Maybe for customs but not MM usage. They are to OP and not good for a balance game play.

I really like reskin weapons, it gives players a unique style of look, but to many reskin weapons gets a little ridiculous looking because there is not enough thought out design for them.

Karl2177

the pit looks good in 4, jetpacks and boltshots aside

I'm still super hesitant about it. There's a lot about the changes in gameplay between Halo 3 and 4 that I'm not sure it will play too great. The opening rush on Pit works because of the jumps, location of weapons/powerups, and most importantly the trade off of going one way or another. Start of the match, players could make the moderately difficult jump to Camo Hall. Now players can sprint jump to it with ease. Halo 3 had Camo as an item of contention. Halo 4 doesn't. In Halo 3, the player made a conscience decision to either be invisible or have the sniper. In Halo 4, that decision doesn't have to be made.

Jetpack will make guarding the tower difficult, unless camo is being used there. Camo Hall is useless unless camo is replaced. Even then, they shouldn't put a damage boost on a map with 2 snipers. Speed boost decreases the flag run fun. Overshield is already at the bottom hall. Pit works in Halo 2/3 gameplay. It barely worked in MLG Reach. I could maybe see an early version described here that might have worked. That being said, did Bungie ever give 343 design docs of older Halo maps?

Vico

So... Watching the panel right now.
It's just about multiplayer stuff, right?

Can't say I'm surprised, though.

Too bad I never really liked The Pit. :p
Interested by Vertigo, though. I missed dynamic and interactive maps.

That's why I hope for Halo 5 AA are not game breakers but AA that only do minor things such as Radar Jammer or other AA I have in mind..

Nope, the Equipment and AA experiment failed. The logical and balanced option is a new movement ability across the board. Thruster pack across the board, with a double jump by hitting the jump button again tied to the same recharging meter. Or go back to classic Halo with no sprint, but that'll never happen so my idea is clearly the next best thing.

Nope, the Equipment and AA experiment failed. The logical and balanced option is a new movement ability across the board. Thruster pack across the board, with a double jump by hitting the jump button again tied to the same recharging meter. Or go back to classic Halo with no sprint, but that'll never happen so my idea is clearly the next best thing.

Agreed

I'm taking Halo Waypoint off notify, whoever is in charge of that thing tweets way too much useless shit. Fuck.

What a ruined franchise.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Abandon is an okay map by Halo 4 standards. I'm less patient with it now that we have more good Forge maps, but I thought it was the second best map after Haven at launch.

Edit : Barrow's movement ideas sound awesome.

Edit : Barrow's movement ideas sound awesome.
Damn straight. Also, bring back first person view for Thruster pack. I remember at PAX last year when I played Spartan Ops at the Mad Catz booth and they were still using the E3 build with the first person view Thruster pack, SO MUCH BETTER. Less disorienting and jarring. Save third-person for vehicle stuff, please.

Fracas

#fuckonami
So how 'bout some Halo 3?

I'm down in about three hours from now. Or maybe more like two.
I can play, but I don't know how my connection will fare.
Damn straight. Also, bring back first person view for Thruster pack. I remember at PAX last year when I played Spartan Ops at the Mad Catz booth and they were still using the E3 build with the first person view Thruster pack, SO MUCH BETTER. Less disorienting and jarring. Save third-person for vehicle stuff, please.
First person sounds so much better. I'm guessing the switch to third person was to try to distance it from Evade as much as possible? It's such a watered down version.

wwm0nkey

I remember talking about this before they showed gameplay. Would love this!

Madness

I've been wanting that too, Thruster pack is the only armor ability. Everyone starts with it. Runs on Reach recharge timer. Two thrusts depletes, somewhat slow recharge with a purple led charging indicator on backs of Spartans. Also comes with a vertical thrust that depletes it all at once so it can't game break too much with you also horizontally thrusting. Press jump again at height of jump.

The increased movement of thrust will remove need for sprint, increase base movement and strafe, and bam, you've got switched up gameplay somewhat.

The only reason I would want indicator lights in back while recharging is so that you can engage knowing that they aren't able to thrust away yet.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Me and some other scrubs are online if anyone wants to play Halo 3. Or 4, I guess. Or Reach?

Me and some other scrubs are online if anyone wants to play Halo 3. Or 4, I guess. Or Reach?

Sorry for disconnecting, internet died and is going in and out now. Fracas and I will hop back on once it's stable again, so hopefully within the half-hour.

edit: Actually, it looks like it's fine, so I'll get on now

Dongs Macabre

aka Daedalos42
So, I've been messing with this gametype. It basically allows you to combine any object in the game. The "Mongoose" label is the main thing and the "Forklift" label is for stuff that you want to merge with the "Mongoose". You can merge vehicles, weapons, and other stuff. The only vehicle that works as a "Forklift" is the Mantis, though, so you can't combine a Shade Turret with a Ghost to make a pseudo-Spectre.
Some stuff that can be made with it:

- Merge base turret with a Warthog to make a portable turret delivery system (Mongoose explodes during activation, but Warthog just moves upwards).

- Merge a Mantis onto a Banshee to make a Falcon-like vehicle.

- Merge a building with a Warthog to make a portable shield (you can shoot out from the inside, but you can't shoot in from the outside).

Stuff that I thought of but haven't tried:

- Portable capture plates (the gametype is a Slayer one, and there's no CTF gametype for this)

Also, you can clip through every "Forklift", and explosive "Forklifts" don't work. :( If you use a Kill Ball as a "Forklift", it destroys the vehicle, and if you walk through it, it doesn't kill you (I suspect it's a ghost Kill Ball that stays when the vehicle blows up, though).

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Going back to this real quick.

One thing I've always hated about sprint is that if you're being chased by a dude with the sword, you can walk backwards and shoot, but the sword dude can sprint at you. You're often times helpless in that situation. In pre-sprint Halo games, you'd both be moving at the same speed. The only advantage the sword wielder would have is the (sometimes absurd) sword lunge.

A multi-directional thrust ability would solve this problem, especially if you were allowed to shoot while using it (which I think is definitely the way to go).

I would seriously love to see that in Halo.

Booshka

What if they made thrust first person, allowed you to shoot while using it and had no cooldown.

I basically want Mega Man X + Halo.

This is how Wired Reflexes works in Shadowrun, only it damages you to balance it out. You can use it like a pro and strafe around people and out shoot them close up, you just have to be careful not to hurt yourself too much.

It's not like Thrust in the sense where it is an independent ability, that takes control over your character for the time it is used. You can combo it with a lot of other abilities and just general movement as well. Increase your jump height or length, use it to book the fuck out of somewhere very quickly, lengthen your glide, gust jump or teleport. All kinds of fun stuff that takes practice and improvisation.

Obscured

Going back to this real quick.

One thing I've always hated about sprint is that if you're being chased by a dude with the sword, you can walk backwards and shoot, but the sword dude can sprint at you. You're often times helpless in that situation. In pre-sprint Halo games, you'd both be moving at the same speed. The only advantage the sword wielder would have is the (sometimes absurd) sword lunge.

A multi-directional thrust ability would solve this problem, especially if you were allowed to shoot while using it (which I think is definitely the way to go).

I would seriously love to see that in Halo.

I think that would be great to see and fits in really well with the super soldier idea of Spartans.

Top Bottom