• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT4| Trust's a Tough Thing to Come by These Days

I didn't read enough I guess, but what was the lawsuit over?

Activision and the original founders of Infinity Ward, who left after disputes on MW2. Something about not getting enough royalties. So they sued them for that, and Activision is - I think - countering by saying they breached their contracts during MW2's development. These are the guys who went to EA to form Respawn, btw.

At least, that's how I remember it, it's been going on for some time.

Activision and the original founders of Infinity Ward, who left after disputes on MW2. Something about not getting enough royalties. So they sued them for that, and Activision is - I think - countering by saying they breached their contracts during MW2's development. These are the guys who went to EA to form Respawn, btw.

I was so eager to find out exactly what they did, in an Edge interview Kotick said something like this.

Edit, found the actual quote

"The frustrating thing about that is, the stuff that these guys did, I never would have expected them to do. We're a public company, we've got ethics obligations, and the things they did were... I would go to jail if I did them.

"You can't use the company and the company's assets for your own personal benefit, and you can't use the leverage that you might have for personal benefit – you're not allowed to do that! And so we didn't have any choice."

Whether that's true or not, we won't find out.

I was so eager to find out exactly what they did, in an Edge interview Kotick said something like this.

Edit, found the actual quote

"The frustrating thing about that is, the stuff that these guys did, I never would have expected them to do. We're a public company, we've got ethics obligations, and the things they did were... I would go to jail if I did them.

"You can't use the company and the company's assets for your own personal benefit, and you can't use the leverage that you might have for personal benefit – you're not allowed to do that! And so we didn't have any choice."

Whether that's true or not, we won't find out.

With everything I've heard about Kotick, I'm inclined not to believe him. Maybe I'm at fault for that, and it's very well possible that West and Zampella did things wrong, but Kotick's not exactly the protector of the industry, either.

What I don't get is that it has nothing to do with Bungie or their new projects. So why was that information even listed?

Gui_PT

I will be on later in the evening, I will let you know when I am online/or have found a suitable cardboard box.

Xand may want in on the action as well.

SP is glorious.

He always wants in on the action. No matter what action that may be

Also Happy Bday Gabo! As a birthday gift, I won't say anything in spanish that would be insulting to you and your people.

So Marcus Letho is probably working on that Marathon thing, right? He said he was working on a project that wasn't Destiny when he came back to Bungie IIRC.

That whole thing about Bungie's bonus being tied to Gamerankings would leave me very uncomfortable. Wow.

Edit: Also, that five million goal is very risky.

It still might not happen. It's a small project and it may even have been cancelled by now. Regardless, the court documents have robbed Marathons fans of a fantastic future surprise.

We all knew Destiny was coming, though not in the frequency that Activision has outlined; no real spoiler there. The Marathon leak is a gigantic spoiler and is terrible for Bungie and its fans. Fuck, I know it's legalese but stuff like the specific name of an as yet unrevealed game should be [-redacted-] for public consumption.

Activision could have terminated the contract with Bungie if Reach:

1) Didn't release in 2010;
2) Didn't fall in line with the contract obligations (other than the firm release date);
3) Didn’t get a metric score of at least 80 after one month of release;
4) If retail sales on basis of sell-in had not reached six million during 6 months after release.

Geez, I knew developer and publisher relationships where shady but this takes the cake.

This one strikes me as odd; Halo 3 received a 10 from Edge magazine and got 9 or 90% upwards from most if not all other publications. Maybe Activision originally stipulated 'at least 90' and Bungie were all like "whoa whoa whoa, let's not be too hasty here! Come and have a go on the DMR, we put bloom on it to add skill; here, have a go on the new Warthog, see how it handles; Oh yea, you can't take friends in the theatre anymore; a third of the shipping maps are made from grey lego blocks and are remakes... let's set that score at 80 and call it square, yea? Promise you a 90 on Destiny though!"/ spiteful speculation.

Louis Wu

The requirement is utterly fucked up, but at least they had the good sense to go with Gamerankings (holistic, fair) over Metacritic (bullshit).
Heh - I don't really pay attention to either one, but I just looked up the various Halo games in both.

• Reach: GR - 91.71% | MC - 91
  • Halo 3: GR - 93.53% | MC - 94
  • Halo 3: ODST: GR - 84.92% | MC - 83
  • Halo 2: GR - 94.56% | MC - 95
  • Halo: GR - 95.58% | MC - 97
Gotta say... having a little trouble distinguishing between 'holistic' and 'bullshit'. :)

Heh - I don't really pay attention to either one, but I just looked up the various Halo games in both.

• Reach: GR - 91.71% | MC - 91
  • Halo 3: GR - 93.53% | MC - 94
  • Halo 3: ODST: GR - 84.92% | MC - 83
  • Halo 2: GR - 94.56% | MC - 95
  • Halo: GR - 95.58% | MC - 97
Gotta say... having a little trouble distinguishing between 'holistic' and 'bullshit'. :)

ODST deserves a much higher score its easily on par with any of the main halo title. At the very least its a 90+ game

Blueblur1

Well, except for the fact that Lehto said they did it because he was tired of multiplayer's art being not up to the bar of the campaign art, so he thought maybe if they multi-purposed the spaces for campaign spots, they'd be able to have multiplayer look more coherent to the rest of the game by basically having the artists give more TLC to the multiplayer maps.

He also later said that this resulted in taking just as much time as the separate maps, so not really a gain for meeting launch, and whatever map Boneyard replaced was cut because it's campaign space went away, and Bungie has a new policy since Halo 3 of absolutely removing any references to cut spaces that they can, with the lone exception being Guardian because it was too far along.

That's interesting. Not that I don't believe you, but what's your source?

That's interesting. Not that I don't believe you, but what's your source?

Pretty sure i can back him up on multiple things here,

MP maps made to reflect the SP quality then added into SP encounters
Boneyard being a replacement map because the level got axed
Policy of removing anything to do with cut features
Halo 3 Guardian being the exception because it was a good map and so far along(this is from the art of halo 3)

Iv read all these things before.

And for the love of god make the interface 720p at least. it look like a blurry mess at the moment.

Really? The last time I started it up, I thought it looked pretty good. The only complaint I have with waypoint on the xbox and the web-version is that everything is so slow to load and the interface isn't that user friendly. Hopefully, the update this summer will fix some of that stuff.

Waypoint would get much more use if the Xbox allowed me to Boot into waypoint. Hold RB when turning on the system to boot to waypoint, Hold LB to boot to game in tray RT to boot into Netflix

Basically have RB LT AND RT mappable and keep LB for booting to disc

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Waypoint would get much more use if the Xbox allowed me to Boot into waypoint. Hold RB when turning on the system to boot to waypoint, Hold LB to boot to game in tray RT to boot into Netflix

Basically have RB LT AND RT mappable and keep LB for booting to disc

But then you won't see the paid for advertising on the Dashboard.

Shadders

I wouldn't mind the dashboard ads if they were in some way tailored to me. When I go on Amazon the suggested items are generally a pretty good guess of things I might be interested in based on things I've looked at and purchases I've made.

On Xbox they have so much more raw data about me that would allow them to do some fantastic tailored advertising, serving up things I'd be genuinely interested in. As it is, it's just noise, it's either things I already own - it makes me chuckle when the dash says "GAME X - IN STORES NOW" when I actually have it in the drive. If it was smart it could be saying "CHECK OUT THIS DLC FOR GAME X".

TheOddOne

I wouldn't mind the dashboard ads if they were in some way tailored to me. When I go on Amazon the suggested items are generally a pretty good guess of things I might be interested in based on things I've looked at and purchases I've made.

On Xbox they have so much more raw data about me that would allow them to do some fantastic tailored advertising, serving up things I'd be genuinely interested in. As it is, it's just noise, it's either things I already own - it makes me chuckle when the dash says "GAME X - IN STORES NOW" when I actually have it in the drive. If it was smart it could be saying "CHECK OUT THIS DLC FOR GAME X".
How about no ads for paying members and passing it along to the silver users. Hell, I would not mind the option to disable ads as a Gold member.

Woorloog

Banned
How about no ads for paying members and passing it along to the silver users. Hell, I would not mind the option to disable ads as a Gold member.

Gold members should not get ads, period.
Seriously, when this was announced, i was so pissed off i was considering cancelling Live (till Halo 4 anyway) and not buying the next Xbox.
Then they offered 3 months of Live for about 6€...

With experience like that, I have no reason to doubt you.

Owned was maybe the wrong word but i have alot of experience in the hacking scene for the 360, Current mods require a hardware mod to interface and rewrite the 360 Nand building upon the KK shader exploit to allow for unsigned code to run, This was quickly patched out via microsoft by blowing the consoles efuses which stopped us from reverting back to the older and exploitable dahsboard versions.

Since we have no way to interface with the nand or even hypervisor access with direct interface on any dashboard version past 2.0.7371.0 (current version is 2.0.14719.0) then the possibility of softmod doing it is incredible, Every single thing you run on a xbox 360 has to be signed. We have no way to self sign anything so we have hit a brick wall.

Their is only a finite number of consoles that are moddable in the wild and once they have all been used its back to square 1.

Shadders

So with those numbers, if the game hits $500m operating income, which seems conservative. Bungie will be paid $127,000,000.

motherofgod.jpg

ODST was an expansion pack marketed as a full retail price game. You're not getting 90's with that.

Im not going to bite. You cant make me

Screw you ODST is great ill defend it till i die ect

In other news

Your order for Valve Portal Prop Replica Gun "Aperture Science Handheld Portal Device" (Play.com Exclusive!) has been posted.

YAY!

Woorloog

Banned
Their is only a finite number of consoles that are moddable in the wild and once they have all been used its back to square 1.

Hmm... my old Xbox 360 has broken fan (i think), as it overheats soon after starting it. It is rather old, came with 20GB HDD. Probably old enough to be moddable, IF the fan can be replaced/repaired. I suppose the dashboard can be reverted to an older version somehow (Broke soon after Black Ops came, so... it has Fall 2010 version of the dashboard?)?

Overdoziz

Banned
Im not going to bite. You cant make me

Screw you ODST is great ill defend it till i die ect
I'm not saying it's good or bad, I'm saying it's an expansion pack.

Hmm... my old Xbox 360 has broken fan (i think), as it overheats soon after starting it. It is rather old, came with 20GB HDD. Probably old enough to be moddable, IF the fan can be replaced/repaired. I suppose the dashboard can be reverted to an older version somehow (Broke soon after Black Ops came, so... it has Fall 2010 version of the dashboard?)?
Open it up and clean out all the dust. My 360 used to overheat a lot too about a year ago. Got rid of all the dust and now I never have any problems anymore.

Woorloog

Banned
Open it up and clean out all the dust. My 360 used to overheat a lot too about a year ago. Got rid of all the dust and now I never have any problems anymore.

Huh. Didn't think of that. I tried to vacuum it but that didn't help.
Hmm. Need tools to open it... Didn't 360 require some special tools?

Hmmm

And you have a gf, you say?

Yeah she is paying for it

It was patched out in late 09, im behind with the scene you may be able to exploit some later versions.

I'm not saying it's good or bad, I'm saying it's an expansion pack.

I dont want to get into a big thing about this, but its pretty clear ODST started as an expansion and evolved into a full game.

Firefight + a campaign equal in lenght to any of the main halo games.

"Over the course of development it got a lot bigger than we were anticipating," says Bakken. "We thought of it more as an expansion and then it grew well beyond that. We didn't really talk about it until E3 this year, and it's something internally that Microsoft saw and said; 'What are you talking about - this is a full game.'"

"The scope changed significantly as we went along, and every time we saw it the game got longer, the spaces got bigger, new things were added. Certainly when you sit down with it, it's a lot more than just an expansion pack."

Top Bottom