• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT4| Trust's a Tough Thing to Come by These Days

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Gameplay looked quick and smooth. Looks like bleedthrough is in. Thought I saw him shoot a guy a few times then melee for the kill. Also, switching weapons looked very snappy. I like that. Can't wait to see some HQ footage.

HaloGAF is stuck on a timeloop. Everything happens again and again and again...

1M2Sg.png

Do not resist.

When the achievements leak, please spoiler tag them. They'll probably have some references to the new enemies and many people, including me, would rather not know anything about this.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Audiovisual assault. I'll wait for E3 to form an opinion, because it'd be "oh god what" after that video.

The sooner people realize it's Call of Duty wedged into a Halo aesthetic the better. I don't know how much longer HaloGAF can go on fooling themselves. Guys, it's business. Microsoft is chasing the COD market. They won't get that market, and nearly all these by-committee additions they're shoehorning into the game will be terrible, but that's reality. They're finishing what Bungie so haphazardly started.

Text flashing all over the screen, instant respawns, killstreaks, unlockable perks, gun camo, character customization, tailored weapon loadouts, sprint the whole game, pure randomization. You can yell at me and Overdoziz and whoever all you want, but this is Halo 4.

Some people will say "oh so what they're advancing the game forwards to the standards of the industry". No, it's a cash grab. The elegance of timing weapons, holding map control, forcing spawns, and outplaying the other team is eschewed in favor of more randomized FFA bonanza goodness that appeals to the lowest common denominator. The beauty of Halo gameplay is deemed wholly replaceable by its development teams. Disappointing, but what're you going to do. While I'm sure there will be playlists dedicated to "standard" or "vanilla" Halo, we all know the ambition and quality of 343's matchmaking control. Plus as we've seen, trying to force "classic" settings on a game built around a different framework leads to a house of broken cards (see: Reach).

The funniest part is Microsoft failing to realize COD exploded in popularity precisely because it was so innovative at the time, and continues to be successful because they only slightly tweak the formula each year. If Reach was a failure compared to Halo 3, it wasn't because of franchise fatigue, it's because Reach wasn't a good game. Consumers aren't nearly as dumb as publishers think. You can't play catch-up in this industry. You can't chase success. How many years did we see the phrase "Halo killer!!" show up in magazines to describe a game that was wedging rechargeable shields and aliens into its campaign? Did they ever overtake Halo?

Just my 2 cents for this morning.

See, this is exactly the way you should put your thoughts across more often.

More of this intelligent and (very approachable) discussion worthy posts please from you in the future.

Although, I certainly disagree with some elements you presented.

I don't see why its so bad to infer information on the stuff we have seen and heard, I don't think anyone here is really talking in black and white terms. You cant call people negative if a lot of the stuff we have seen so far doesn't seem very good. That would be like calling a financial analyst a negative nancy when he projects that a business seems to be heading in the wrong direction lol. Early calls based on limited information isnt exactly a new thing or exclusive to HaloGaf and you cant expect people to not talk about that stuff when its right there in our face.

Theres a lot of positive stuff too, base movement and gameplay looked great, im actually loving the new superfast assassinations.

TheOddOne

Going all ballistic? What?
Your really going to this whole dance and song like you don't know what I am saying?

I'm done.

I don't see why its so bad to infer information on the stuff we have seen and heard, I don't think anyone here is really talking in black and white terms. You cant call people negative if a lot of the stuff we have seen so far doesn't seem very good. That would be like calling a financial analyst a negative nancy when he projects that a business seems to be heading in the wrong direction lol. Early calls based on limited information isnt exactly a new thing or exclusive to HaloGaf and you cant expect people to not talk about that stuff when its right there in our face.

Theres a lot of positive stuff too, base movement and gameplay looked great, im actually loving the new superfast assassinations.
No problem with that, but geez you can already see who is going to focus on the bad stuff more. Atleast discuss positives *and* negatives.

Overdoziz

Banned
Your really going to this whole dance and song like you don't know what I am saying?

I'm done.
Can you please tell me where I've "gone all ballistic" in regards to the leaked video? I made a comment about the the selectable ordnance drop pop up and I replied to Mrbig's post with approval.
Not sure what your definition of "going ballistic" is.

TheOddOne

I can't even tell whatever is written there
Hahha, same.

Can you please tell me where I've "gone all ballistic" in regards to the leaked video? I made a comment about the the selectable ordnance drop pop up and I replied to Mrbig's post with approval.
Not sure what your definition of "going ballistic" is.
It was not a reference to this specific video, it was a comment about the behaviour in general.

MrBig

The sooner people realize it's Call of Duty wedged into a Halo aesthetic the better. I don't know how much longer HaloGAF can go on fooling themselves. Guys, it's business. Microsoft is chasing the COD market. They won't get that market, and nearly all these by-committee additions they're shoehorning into the game will be terrible, but that's reality. They're finishing what Bungie so haphazardly started.

Text flashing all over the screen, instant respawns, killstreaks, unlockable perks, gun camo, character customization, tailored weapon loadouts, sprint the whole game, pure randomization. You can yell at me and Overdoziz and whoever all you want, but this is Halo 4.

Some people will say "oh so what they're advancing the game forwards to the standards of the industry". No, it's a cash grab. The elegance of timing weapons, holding map control, forcing spawns, and outplaying the other team is eschewed in favor of more randomized FFA bonanza goodness that appeals to the lowest common denominator. The beauty of Halo gameplay is deemed wholly replaceable by its development teams. Disappointing, but what're you going to do. While I'm sure there will be playlists dedicated to "standard" or "vanilla" Halo, we all know the ambition and quality of 343's matchmaking control. Plus as we've seen, trying to force "classic" settings on a game built around a different framework leads to a house of broken cards (see: Reach).

The funniest part is Microsoft failing to realize COD exploded in popularity precisely because it was so innovative at the time, and continues to be successful because they only slightly tweak the formula each year. If Reach was a failure compared to Halo 3, it wasn't because of franchise fatigue, it's because Reach wasn't a good game. Consumers aren't nearly as dumb as publishers think. You can't play catch-up in this industry. You can't chase success. How many years did we see the phrase "Halo killer!!" show up in magazines to describe a game that was wedging rechargeable shields and aliens into its campaign? Did they ever overtake Halo?

Just my 2 cents for this morning.

I liked Halo because it was its own thing, back when every other game was trying to be like it, back when Bungie was not trying to cater to some specific market, just making games that they enjoyed. What we got out of that is H1/2/3, then came Reach and now H4, and they are indeed chasing other games and trying to turn Halo MP into something it should not be.

The only place there is MP innovation anymore is in the "niche" market of smaller scale PC games, where devs aren't under pressure to reach $1b in sales and to just make fun games that they enjoy and want to offer to others, just like Bungie used to do (and will hopefully be doing with Destiny). To give a compelling example Planetside 2 and Tribes Ascend offer more to me than H4 and they're free.

Striker

Frankie mentioned the DMR being the primary BTB weapon a while back, IIRC. Also I would not be surprised if they jammed in the Plasma Pistol as a secondary weapon. Vehicle combat, I weep for you.

That weapon select screen is bullshit. He says the stars mean that the weapon is locked... but he's been claiming the DMR is a one or two shot kill. He's lying about something. He took the weapon select screens after the leaked video. E3 is literally a few days away.
I think he's just confused, and the "1-2 kill" thing is when the enemy has no shields.

I'm done.

No problem with that, but geez you can already see who is going to focus on the bad stuff more. Atleast discuss positives *and* negatives.

People have been playing this series for 10 years. We are all such big fans we post on internet forums about it lol, its a bit gutting when the last game was pretty subpar and the gameplay seems to be going in a bad direction, including copying the mistakes the last game made. Its not unreasonable that people are going to focus on the negatives, for a lot of the guys on here that love super competitive Halo it seems like thats a thing of the past. Yeah, its too early to really infer that, but I dont think anyone really is, just posting dissapointments so far and saying they will wait for the official showing at E3.

I liked Halo because it was its own thing, back when every other game was trying to be like it, back when Bungie was not trying to cater to some specific market, just making games that they enjoyed. What we got out of that is H1/2/3, then came Reach and now H4, and they are indeed chasing other games and trying to turn Halo MP into something it should not be.

The only place there is MP innovation anymore is in the "niche" market of smaller scale PC games, where devs aren't under pressure to reach $1b in sales and to just make fun games that they enjoy and want to offer to others, just like Bungie used to do (and will hopefully be doing with Destiny). To give a compelling example Planetside 2 and Tribes Ascend offer more to me than H4 and they're free.

You have seen that contract right? :p

That weapon select screen is bullshit. He says the stars mean that the weapon is locked... but he's been claiming the DMR is a one or two shot kill. He's lying about something. He took the weapon select screens after the leaked video. E3 is literally a few days away.

TheOddOne

Feels like I'm being pulled constantly and you’re avoiding much of my opinion. Let’s get this straight, I value everybody’s opinion and do not mind if people actually discuss it. However I feel that people that sit behind one-off remarks are getting kind of tiring, sometimes fun but for most time repeating this stick is annoying. You have the tendency to this more than often. You see, I respect kylej for often going in on specific stuff – even his more one-off comments are amusing, but at least he backs it up.

Like I said before, at least discuss positives *and* negatives. You have the tendency to jump on the negatives, which kind of then dominates the whole discussion. I just hate that, coming back seeing people bitch about the same thing for 3 pages, becomes a meme and keeps being repeated. It stupid and gets cluttered up for no reason.

People have been playing this series for 10 years. We are all such big fans we post on internet forums about it lol, its a bit gutting when the last game was pretty subpar and the gameplay seems to be going in a bad direction, including copying the mistakes the last game made. Its not unreasonable that people are going to focus on the negatives, for a lot of the guys on here that love super competitive Halo it seems like thats a thing of the past. Yeah, its too early to really infer that, but I dont think anyone really is, just posting dissapointments so far and saying they will wait for the official showing at E3.
There is no real problem with focus on negatives, but at least a constructive look at is what I am asking for.

A empty star means the weapon is locked a full star means unlocked check it again

cant hate on the leak.

game play looks faster paced, so its all good to me. i can deal with all the bullshit as long as i can have a gun that shoots relatively straight and my spartan moves at a good pace, jumps a good height, and has a quick and agile strafe.

Such as? Just curious.

Mainly, the cash grab part, I do think 343 are genuinely trying to evolve from reach, but 'complete' certain gameplay elements that were perhaps incomplete in their execution. For example let's take sprint, because it's the one we know about the most.

Sprint in halo reach, is a frustrating double melee ability, further more hindered by the map design which did not accommodate sprint (or any of the armor abilites).

343 have learnt from this, by making the maps wider for movement purposes, and no doubt more players.

They have added a slowdown mechanic to stop those that like to sprint double (Myyke!), and those that like to run away.

Clearly 343 have taken into account the grievances set out in reach in respect of that particular ability. I can't wait to see how they have tackled the others.

It's just that we are still seeking major clarification regarding the rest of the MP. And all this added stuff is worrying without actually seeing it in action (clearly, and not set in barn!).

Also, I completely understand where Kyle and Over are coming from. I understand both view points. The negative and positive.

Totally cool with 3X DMR.
It has campaign implications too. If the DMR is 3x and readily available throughout the campaign, that's going to be detrimental to the encounters. A problem with a large part of Reach's encounters is they lack tension – you can just hang back with the DMR and ping 'em off.

I guess if 343 is introducing the biggest MP maps the series has to offer, 3x scope won't be as detrimental to 4's BTB as much as it has been Reach's, but if it's not...

Edit: It's just another piece of news that makes me more apprehensive about everything.

TheOddOne

cant hate on the leak.

game play looks faster paced, so its all good to me. i can deal with all the bullshit as long as i can have a gun that shoots relatively straight and my spartan moves at a good pace, jumps a good height, and has a quick and agile strafe.
Double melee kills still seem in, which is disappointing to say the least. Base speed looks good, sprint is a bit long to be honest – looks like fast recharge to me.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
It has campaign implications too. If the DMR is 3x and readily available throughout the campaign, that's going to be detrimental to the encounters. A problem with a large part of Reach's encounters is they lack tension – you can just hang back with the DMR and ping 'em off.

I guess if 343 is introducing the biggest MP maps the series has to offer, 3x scope won't be as detrimental to 4's BTB as much as it has been Reach's, but if it's not...

Edit: It's just another piece of news that makes me more apprehensive about everything.

Lots of ifs there. We just don't know at this point.

forge galaxy, with more shades of gray halo mp has ever seen

Top Bottom