• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT4| Trust's a Tough Thing to Come by These Days

cant believe i went to bed literally minutes before this leaked. hilarious stuff. from what i could see, it looked great. a logical extension of reach, hopefully with much needed tweaks and balancing. so yeah, i expect some of haloGAF to cry rivers of tears, but from my viewpoint, its looking good. VERY fast paced too.

The pace and the jumping is looking great.

The sooner people realize it's Call of Duty wedged into a Halo aesthetic the better. I don't know how much longer HaloGAF can go on fooling themselves. Guys, it's business. Microsoft is chasing the COD market. They won't get that market, and nearly all these by-committee additions they're shoehorning into the game will be terrible, but that's reality. They're finishing what Bungie so haphazardly started.

Text flashing all over the screen, instant respawns, killstreaks, unlockable perks, gun camo, character customization, tailored weapon loadouts, sprint the whole game, pure randomization. You can yell at me and Overdoziz and whoever all you want, but this is Halo 4.

Some people will say "oh so what they're advancing the game forwards to the standards of the industry". No, it's a cash grab. The elegance of timing weapons, holding map control, forcing spawns, and outplaying the other team is eschewed in favor of more randomized FFA bonanza goodness that appeals to the lowest common denominator. The beauty of Halo gameplay is deemed wholly replaceable by its development teams. Disappointing, but what're you going to do. While I'm sure there will be playlists dedicated to "standard" or "vanilla" Halo, we all know the ambition and quality of 343's matchmaking control. Plus as we've seen, trying to force "classic" settings on a game built around a different framework leads to a house of broken cards (see: Reach).

The funniest part is Microsoft failing to realize COD exploded in popularity precisely because it was so innovative at the time, and continues to be successful because they only slightly tweak the formula each year. If Reach was a failure compared to Halo 3, it wasn't because of franchise fatigue, it's because Reach wasn't a good game. Consumers aren't nearly as dumb as publishers think. You can't play catch-up in this industry. You can't chase success. How many years did we see the phrase "Halo killer!!" show up in magazines to describe a game that was wedging rechargeable shields and aliens into its campaign? Did they ever overtake Halo?

Just my 2 cents for this morning.

Exactly. Halo 2 and 3 were incredibly popular. There is room for two shooters (COD and Halo) that play differently. Plus I get the feeling that people might be getting tired of the COD formula...with one release a year the series turning into Guitar Hero is inevitable.

TheOddOne

Looking at my own gif again:

ibpOlVuFcMjZVA.gif

Reminds me of:

1505229-mw2flyknifekill.gif

Seems way too fast.

Tawpgun

Just woke up and caught up. I will just say one thing and go back to lurking.

gXTwp.gif

Although I loved Reach's multiplayer minus broken vehicles and armor abilities.
The post actually made a really good point. Throughout Halo 2's lifespan we saw countless "Halo killers" a bunch of sub par games that tried to implement Halo in their own way.

Along comes CoD, doing something much different,and it becomes the Halo Killer.

You can't beat CoD by trying to be more like CoD.

Exactly. Halo 2 and 3 were incredibly popular. There is room for two shooters (COD and Halo) that play differently. Plus I get the feeling that people might be getting tired of the COD formula...with one release a year the series turning into Rock Band ins inevitable.

Rock Band is a terrible comparison... You would have been right had you said Guitar Hero.

cant believe i went to bed literally minutes before this leaked. hilarious stuff. from what i could see, it looked great. a logical extension of reach, hopefully with much needed tweaks and balancing. so yeah, i expect some of haloGAF to cry rivers of tears, but from my viewpoint, its looking good. VERY fast paced too.

Why would we want the logical extension of Reach? Reach wasn't the logical extension of Halo 1-3.

Rock Band is a terrible comparison... You would have been right had you said Guitar Hero.
That is what I meant. I have a copy of Rock Band sitting next to me and was looking at it when I wrote that.

Striker

Why would we want the logical extension of Reach? Reach surely wasn't the logical extension of Halo 1-3.
Each game was pretty damn different in its own way. Halo 1 and Halo 2, completely different vehicle combat, health packs, vehicle boarding, dual wielding, power of grenades, etc.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Why would we want the logical extension of Reach? Reach surely wasn't the logical extension of Halo 1-3.

That is what I meant. I have a copy of Rock Band sitting next to me and was looking at it when I wrote that.

i dont much care what you, or kyle, or over, want - only what i want.

imo, reach was halo with some big additions. some misplaced for sure, but also a direction i was and am completely ok with. i dont need to play halo ce/2 for the rest of my life and am ok with additions to the gameplay and sandbox. even significant ones. as long as halo fixes what was broken, and doesnt completely screw up its own additions (both of which i feel very confident about btw), then i will adore halo 4.

imo, reach was halo with some big additions. some misplaced for sure, but also a direction i was and am completely ok with. i dont need to play halo ce/2 for the rest of my life and am ok with additions to the gameplay and sandbox. even significant ones. as long as halo fixes what was broken, and doesnt completely screw up its own additions (both of which i feel very confident about btw), then i will adore halo 4.

I can empathise with this. I have enjoyed every Halo game. I don't see that ending any time soon.

Happy belated birthday!

Each game was pretty damn different in its own way. Halo 1 and Halo 2, completely different vehicle combat, health packs, vehicle boarding, dual wielding, power of grenades, etc.

It could be argued and I will argue that those were the logical extension of the basic gameplay established in Halo 1. Plus none of those innovations changed the gameplay the way jetpack, armor lock, active camo, and sprint did.

tonitoni

The sooner people realize it's Call of Duty wedged into a Halo aesthetic the better. I don't know how much longer HaloGAF can go on fooling themselves. Guys, it's business. Microsoft is chasing the COD market. They won't get that market, and nearly all these by-committee additions they're shoehorning into the game will be terrible, but that's reality. They're finishing what Bungie so haphazardly started.

Text flashing all over the screen, instant respawns, killstreaks, unlockable perks, gun camo, character customization, tailored weapon loadouts, sprint the whole game, pure randomization. You can yell at me and Overdoziz and whoever all you want, but this is Halo 4.

Some people will say "oh so what they're advancing the game forwards to the standards of the industry". No, it's a cash grab. The elegance of timing weapons, holding map control, forcing spawns, and outplaying the other team is eschewed in favor of more randomized FFA bonanza goodness that appeals to the lowest common denominator. The beauty of Halo gameplay is deemed wholly replaceable by its development teams. Disappointing, but what're you going to do. While I'm sure there will be playlists dedicated to "standard" or "vanilla" Halo, we all know the ambition and quality of 343's matchmaking control. Plus as we've seen, trying to force "classic" settings on a game built around a different framework leads to a house of broken cards (see: Reach).

The funniest part is Microsoft failing to realize COD exploded in popularity precisely because it was so innovative at the time, and continues to be successful because they only slightly tweak the formula each year. If Reach was a failure compared to Halo 3, it wasn't because of franchise fatigue, it's because Reach wasn't a good game. Consumers aren't nearly as dumb as publishers think. You can't play catch-up in this industry. You can't chase success. How many years did we see the phrase "Halo killer!!" show up in magazines to describe a game that was wedging rechargeable shields and aliens into its campaign? Did they ever overtake Halo?

Should be on top of every page.

I am fine with additions as well. I do not want to play the same game forever either. But as you pointed out they should be logical extensions from the previous games. Having radar that indicated which level of the map people were on like in Reach is one of those additions that is logical.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun

I'll echo this. I know it won't be the most popular opinion here, but i actually liked what I saw even though a lot of it is "guessing" what was actually going on. I didn't like how large and in the way the personal ordinance drop was on screen when it prompts you to select though.

Edit: I also may have missed it, but I didn't see any armor abilities being used.

I'll echo this. I know it won't be the most popular opinion here, but i actually liked what I saw even though a lot of it is "guessing" what was actually going on. I didn't like how large and in the way the personal ordinance drop was on screen when it prompts you to select though.

Edit: I also may have missed it, but I didn't see any armor abilities being used.
He turned on Promethean Vision for a couple of seconds several times.

Tawpgun

Halo CE MP was also designed by like 3 dudes as a side project. The power of the Pistol was a bug that they ended up keeping. It also wasn't designed for online play.

Halo 2 and 3 were. Halo 2 was pure Halo gameplay. Halo 3 kept that basic, golden gameplay... And made it slightly slower... Which was a bad move that people were vocal they didn't like. The equipment was a very good idea. Spawns on map, everyone starts on equal ground still...

But it suffered from people not knowing you had it, and some poor equipment choices. Regen, Bubble... Things like the trip mine and gravity lift are golden.

Additions to Halo should enhance and reinforce Halos golden gameplay, not reinvent it with new legs to the tripod.

I thought they would have learned from 3.

.... Nope.

Now it seems Halo 4 is going further down. I really want Frankie to come out at E3 and basically show us how we were all wrong in worrying. But the more I see of Halo 4, the more I worry.

Just now catching up

eMAgs.gif

I've completely written off Halo 4 MP, so I'm just praying 343 hasn't screwed up the campaign.

Remember when Reach was still new and everyone here was complaining about bloom and armor lock? These were changes that broke gameplay. But Bungie felt that they were great additions. Did nobody learn from this? We should be very critical and cautious of each change until it has been proven to us through our own experience to be a needed or welcome change. Now everyone is just blindly trusting 343 that all of these changes will be for the best. All of these new additions could be just as game breaking as bloom or armor lock. Instead of questioning these changes people just say that 343 knows what they are doing. Not to mention the fact that they are a part of MS and MS loves money so they will copy COD in every way possible if they think they can take a part of that market.

Karl2177

[snip]
I really want Frankie to come out at E3 and basically show us how we were all wrong in worrying. But the more I see of Halo 4, the more I worry.

I want someone other than Frankie to do it. When Frankie says something, it sounds amazing and great. But then when we actually see it, it isn't.

Fuchsdh

the only thing that looked really off was the rockets. sooo comically slow.

Not as slow as CE rockets. I'd play games on Sidewinder and kill a guy across the map right after he'd launched rockets at me, go on about my business and get killed in what seemed like hours later by the same errant rocket. :)

Halo CE MP was also designed by like 3 dudes as a side project. The power of the Pistol was a bug that they ended up keeping. It also wasn't designed for online play.

Halo 2 and 3 were. Halo 2 was pure Halo gameplay. Halo 3 kept that basic, golden gameplay... And made it slightly slower... Which was a bad move that people were vocal they didn't like. The equipment was a very good idea. Spawns on map, everyone starts on equal ground still...

But it suffered from people not knowing you had it, and some poor equipment choices. Regen, Bubble... Things like the trip mine and gravity lift are golden.

Additions to Halo should enhance and reinforce Halos golden gameplay, not reinvent it with new legs to the tripod.

I thought they would have learned from 3.

.... Nope.
I wish other people would think like this.

I mostly agree with kyle, however.

Im still looking forward to the game, what have we really seen thats "game breaking" Everything we have seen so far we already have the ability to remove or negate with current custom options worst case scenario we get a vanilla playlist and we all live in that.

Taking things that CoD brought to the table isnt a bad idea, Halo is great at its core (see halo 2) but adding things like "headshot" on the screen isnt game breaking its a pet peeve for the people who dislike it.

I agree some of the other changes are major and much more impactful. Instant respawn, Spawning with loadouts ect but all these could infact be better for halo. Whats the issue that one loadout will be better than the rest? then we all use that loadout problem solved.

Juices wrote a great post a long time ago about how AA's are not a bad thing for the series.

Remember when Reach was still new and everyone here was complaining about bloom and armor lock? These were changes that broke gameplay. But Bungie felt that they were great additions. Did nobody learn from this? We should be very critical and cautious of each change until it has been proven to us through our own experience to be a needed or welcome change. Now everyone is just blindly trusting 343 that all of these changes will be for the best. All of these new additions could be just as game breaking as bloom or armor lock. Instead of questioning these changes people just say that 343 knows what they are doing. Not to mention the fact that they are a part of MS and MS loves money so they will copy COD in every way possible if they think they can take a part of that market.

It's easy to be blind when there is nothing to see.

Well, that was quite a video.

And for the time being, I'm gonna agree with Kyle's excellent post. We'll redo this discussion with all the usual players a week from now.

And Halo: Reach still fuckin' sucks.

- Leak gets posted on YouTube, is clearly a troll video.
- HaloGAF: "Ahahaha, this is such a great troll."
- Troll posts bullshit on Twitter.
- HaloGAF: "OMG THIS CAN'T BE A TROLL HALO 4 IS DOOOOOOOOMED."

Wut? I don't even...

C'mon, you're just giving the troll what he wants. Stop feeding him.

Fuchsdh

See, kyle? If you express your opinions clearly and without dissolving into hyperbole and personal attacks, everyone agrees with you!

JaggedSac

Halo 4 MP is not dead. Will be bigger than Reach, guaranteed. With a proper set of unlockable items(Reach did not have very good unlockables), the carrots will keep people playing.

Top Bottom