• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT4| Trust's a Tough Thing to Come by These Days

Voltron64

Guns, speed, AAs; I guess looking through the thread you can see what people want to know about.
sorry if this post is sloppy. Im still on the show floor.
My initial impressions after playing ONE match...
BR felt great. Felt just right...first thing I did was get a head shot kill with it.
The AR feels a lot more powerful. The sound it makes when you fire it is deep...I really like the audio in the game.
The game feels similar to Halo 3 at a faster pace.
Domino says the sniper is hard as hell to use now.
Not sure how I feel about the ordinance drops.
I was already slightly annoyed with the hard light shield I must admit. I mainly used Promethean vision. It came in handy...maybe bit too handy...

More impressions later.

BigShow36

sorry if this pot is sloppy. Im still on the show floor.
BR felt great. Felt just right...first thing I did was get a head shot kill with it.
The AR feels a lot more powerful. The sound it makes when you fire it is deep...I really like the audio in the game.
Domino says the sniper hard as hell to use now.
I was already slightly annoyed with the hard light shield I must admit. I mainly used Promethean vision. It came in handy...maybe bit too handy...

More impressions later.

How was the strafe speed and aim assist levels?

Woorloog

Banned
Errr no. I love Prime's bossfights, but keep that out of Halo. The Prophet of Regret and Tartarus were the some of the worst parts of Halo 2.

The only bosses in Halo should be Brute Chieftain and Scarab-style pseudo-bosses.

Hell, we need more Halo 2-like boss battles. They were interesting change to normal gameplay and challenging, while still feeling like Halo. Though they were way too hard to Legendary... good thing at least Tartarus had easy trick to defeating him (Carbine to drop shield, Brute Plasma Rifle to deal massive damage on him, more than any other weapon).

sorry if this pot is sloppy. Im still on the show floor.
Domino says the sniper hard as hell to use now.

More impressions later.

How'd aiming feel and FOV seem? Aiming sluggish like H3, or responsive like Reach?

Errr no. I love Prime's bossfights, but keep that out of Halo. The Prophet of Regret and Tartarus were the some of the worst parts of Halo 2.

The only bosses in Halo should beBrute Chieftain and Scarab-style pseudo-bosses.
Huh? Those are obviously not at all like Prime's boss fights. They're terrible because boss fights in FPS games can really only work with an evade option, which they seem to have now.

Hell, we need more Halo 2-like boss battles. They were interesting change to normal gameplay and challenging, while still feeling like Halo. Though they were way too hard to Legendary... good thing at least Tartarus had easy trick to defeating him (Carbine to drop shield, Brute Plasma Rifle to deal massive damage on him, more than any other weapon).
Haha... No. Get out.

What exactly was annoying about the hard light shield? Is it anywhere near Armor Lock levels of gay?

From what we've heard, I'd expect it to give the same benefits as armor lock (stopping the attack from happening for a brief period) but without it slowing down the game. No longer will you just wait there for the person to get out of armor lock, you'll try to get around behind them to attack their vulnerable side. If it's anything like other third person weapons, it will slow your turn speed.

Farooq

Banned

Promethean vision?

Sounds a lot like EV from Shadowrun, except in Shadowrun you have smoke to counter.

What will be PV's counter in Halo 4.

Honestly, one of the main reasons why abilities worked in Shadowrun, and didn't work in Reach was because most magic or tech abilities could be countered.

Cannot say the same in Reach. For example, what is the counter to armor lock? Waiting?

I really hope343 thought about the loadouts and abilities, and effective counters for each. I also hope that it is not just a bunch of abilities thrown into the mix just for the sake of having these abilities.

Woorloog

Banned
Haha... No. Get out.

More bosses. That is, no more than 3 per game, of course... preferrably less. But still want to see boss battles. Or at least interesting ending sequences... Haven't seen those since boss battles and Halo CE (redoing the exact same thing is no good).

Those aren't even the worst fights. Heretic Leader was dreadful.

As i said, they were too difficut on higher difficulties, but the ideas behind each were great.

From what we've heard, I'd expect it to give the same benefits as armor lock (stopping the attack from happening for a brief period) but without it slowing down the game. No longer will you just wait there for the person to get out of armor lock, you'll try to get around behind them to attack their vulnerable side. If it's anything like other third person weapons, it will slow your turn speed.
What I have seen it looks like you can easily destroy it when you shoot at it. (See campaign gameplay at the first Promethean knight fight or in the Spartan Ops B-roll)

BigShow36

Strafe speed felt great, it felt quicker than Halo 3. Aim assist felt like it was toned down.

So how often did you feel like your aim was "on," nailing 4sk, etc.? Or did you actually feel like having a great shot would be an accomplishment? Did you ever feel like, "Damn, that guy had a great strafe?"

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
She has deleted the tweet so I can only get this:

jERQ0.png

ud8JK.png
Well those two tweets right there seem to be just talking about sales and the fact that the game is an Xbox exclusive.

So what was the gist of her tweet bashing the Halo community then?

With thrust basically acting as evade, it gives me hope the Metroid Prime influences will continue and we'll get massive boss fights in the campaign.
We have had massive boss fights in a Halo campaign before. They're called Scarabs, and if 343 has boss fights in Halo 4, let's hope they're in the same vein.
More NEW gameplay just uploaded on Halo Waypoint on Youtube.

Halo War Games

Halo Spartan Ops

Halo 4 Infinity Multiplayer
As far as multiplayer goes, I'd really like to know the state of my pro-pipe. Ghal mentioned this earlier, but from that MP video it looks like player health is NOT tied to vehicle health. Please don't let that be the case.

Farooq

Banned
I think someone said that Promethean Vision made a very unique sound.

In Shadowrun you could tell when someone was using enhanced vision as well, but it also had a hard counter which was smoke.

Knowing where your opponents are and getting the jump on someone in Halo is extremely advantageous. PV just seems quite over powered , and I really do hope there is an effective counter to someone using it.

CyReN

Well those two tweets right there seem to be just talking about sales and the fact that the game is an Xbox exclusive.

So what was the gist of her tweet bashing the Halo community then?

She has deleted the tweet so I can only get that but hey it was smart move on her part.

I think there are better people that can do it like: Bravo, Best Man, Gandhi, etc.

More bosses. That is, no more than 3 per game, of course... preferrably less. But still want to see boss battles. Or at least interesting ending sequences... Haven't seen those since boss battles and Halo CE (redoing the exact same thing is no good).

As i said, they were too difficut on higher difficulties, but the ideas behind each were great.

No they weren't. They were completely contrary to the design philosophy of the rest of the game. Here, you have 3 units that can only be killed in a specific way or only from input from a NPC. There is absolutely no reason for the only way to kill Regret being "punch him in the face" besides a boss battle. Getting inside the shield? What? Halo shields do not work that way. And in any case, the Chief can punch though metal plate- he'd pulp Regret's head in one punch, let alone 3 sets of 4-5 punches each. Tartarus' shield is completely invulnerable to everything, literally everything, except one specific weapon? lolwut? And even when you take it down, he's immune to one-shot-kill headshots to the dome or getting cut up by a sword?

Stupid.

The boss fights in Metroid Prime 1 and 2 are amazing. But I do not want to see them in Halo 4. Why? Metroid Prime’s boss fights are designed with the gadget you find in the “dungeon” before. It forces you to use this gadget. I do not want to be forced to use a specific “armor ability” to defeat a specific type of enemy. For me it would be a breach against Halo’s sandbox design because I want to decide what I am going to use in the next encounter. On the other hand we do not know how AA are handled in the campaign.

No they weren't. They were completely contrary to the design philosophy of the rest of the game. Here, you have 2 units that can only be killed in a specific way or only from input from a NPC. There is absolutely no reason for the only way to kill Regret being "punch him in the face" besides a boss battle. Getting inside the shield? What? Halo shields do not work that way. And in any case, the Chief can punch though metal plate- he'd pulp Regret's head in one punch, let alone 3 sets of 4-5 punches each. Tartarus' sheild is completely inveunerable to everything, literally everything, except one specific weapon? lolwut? And even when you take it down, he's immune to one-shot-kill headshots to the dome or getting cut up by a sword?

Stupid.
Yup. Bungie avoid Boss Battles after that (343 barely counts) for good reason.

Woorloog

Banned
When i want boss battles, i don't mean they should force the player to do something specific. I just want unique, highly threatening enemies that have easy tricks to dispatch them or you can be conventional.

Think of what the Promethean Knight does, he teleports. Now give that, the grenade catching beam and armor lock to a unique enemy, and have us to fight him one-on-one (and the trick here could be to shoot off his weapon and then proceed to pummel him). Just don't give him anything that can one-shot the player.

I really wish that in Halo 2 one could have just shot the Prophet with a rocket launcher... if you had one. Or with sufficient shooting. In addition to boarding and punching him to death. The same with Tartarus, tricks or conventional playing.

Homeboyd

I just realized the sticky detonator will probably stick to enemies.. oh gawd, gunna be so awesome. Like the torque bow in Gears.

If you could shoot someone, stick them, and hold down the detonator for a while..

"Hey bitch, guess what... 3... 2... 1... *pulls trigger* BOOM"

I just realized the sticky detonator will probably stick to enemies.. oh gawd, gunna be so awesome. Like the torque bow in Gears.

If you could shoot someone, stick them, and hold down the detonator for a while..

"Hey bitch, guess what... 3... 2... 1... *pulls trigger* BOOM"

Yeah, it looks like there's a point in the video where it does, in fact, stick to your enemy.

Hopefully it also sticks to teammates and vehicles.

Sorry, Grenade Launcher, the Sticky Detonator just found a place in my heart.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Less than an hour away from HaloGAF Radio Episode 4. If you want in add Tashi0106 on Skype. I will be rotating people in and out often to get impressions on all E3 Halo 4 news. Campaign, Spartan Ops, Multiplayer. Anything and everything. All of HaloGAF is welcome.

I will be on Skype for a few hours and if there are enough people trying to get in the wait shouldn't be longer 15-25 minutes.

Less than an hour away from HaloGAF Radio Episode 4. If you want in add Tashi0106 on Skype. I will be rotating people in and out often to get impressions on all E3 Halo 4 news. Campaign, Spartan Ops, Multiplayer. Anything and everything. All of HaloGAF is welcome.

I will be on Skype for a few hours and if there are enough people trying to get in the wait shouldn't be longer 15-25 minutes.
Damn! I should have bought a headset today. Bad Hyper, Bad Hyper.

789shadow

Banned

Added you.

Top Bottom