• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT4| Trust's a Tough Thing to Come by These Days

Interesting. It confirms the game to be an massively multiplayer MMO shooter with persistant elements.

And link for you bobs.

PDF download of contract

Thanks!

So a Bungie game every two years plus a CoD every year? Odd.

Kinda makes you wonder if Activision anticipated CoD numbers dropping off and are using the Bungie series as it's replacement.

I wouldnt be suprised if CoD alternates with Destiny and both games come out every other year. That would be a brilliant way to maximise profits and avoid them competing against eachother for sales. Could be win win for Activision.

ElRenoRaven

What? WHAT?

From the document. I just print screened.

JZL02.jpg

So they are basically looking at a 10 year WoW in space game. Playable on Xbox 360 then 720, PS3 then PS4, and PC.

That sounds fucking baller.

ElRenoRaven

Ehm... "massively-multiplayer-style" does not really mean that it is a MMO. Especially since Activison plans to release a new game of the Destiny-Franchise every second year.

True. Bad choice of words on my part. MMO like. Seems to me it's going to be something kind of like MAG on PS3 was. It was 256 players online. One thing people might miss is that the first game isn't exclusive to the 360. Just the current budget for game 1 is. They can however after completed release it on others too if agreed upon.

GhaleonEB

So they are basically looking at a 10 year WoW in space game. Playable on Xbox 360 then 720, PS3 then PS4, and PC.

That sounds fucking baller.

Yeah, that was my take as well.

I wonder if the Destiny games (#1,2,3,4) are really stand alone games, or can operate as giant expansions of one another, ala an MMO. (Add a new continent, etc.)

Or perhaps that's what the Comets are, a major expansion alternating with each title release.

Also agree with Hyper, sounds like they're using the phrase "massively multiplayer-like" to be descriptive rather than categorical.

Tunavi

Banned
Uh, isn't that Halo? So Destiny would be Halo's spiritual successor...
Halo was a spiritual precursor to Marathon. Marathon starts with a supersoldier stranded on a ship lost in space.

And this is not Destiny, its a side project.

edit for derping. too excited lol

True. Bad choice of words on my part. MMO like. Seems to me it's going to be something kind of like MAG on PS3 was. It was 256 players online. One thing people might miss is that the first game isn't exclusive to the 360. Just the current budget for game 1 is. They can however after completed release it on others too if agreed upon.
One thing I thought of. It could even mean active world maps similar to Hybrid and Chromehounds. Just more active.

I'm pretty excited. If it is a 2013 release, maybe we will see it at this year's E3.

Edit.: Happy Birthday, Gabo!

Woorloog

Banned
Halo was a spiritual predecessor to Halo. marathon starts with a guy stranded in space on a ship.

Uh... what? This is starting to get somewhat meta...
EDIT
Marathon was a spiritual predecessor to Halo. Marathon starts with a supersoldier stranded on a ship lost in space.
Okay, this makes more sense. But you could say Halo was a spiritual successor to Marathon if Halo was a spiritual predecessor for Marathon...

And i think that Destiny includes some sort meta-game, where people's performance affects to a large map or something like that, and that would be what makes it "MMO-like".

GhaleonEB

Just now reading through this, but they were going to evaluate the PS3 as a platform for the first game, and then decide whether to release it in 2014 were it a go. Given all their PS3 hiring, I think Bungie probably decided to do it.

PS3_Destiny.png

Tunavi

Banned
Uh... what? This is starting to get somewhat meta...
EDIT
Okay, this makes more sense. But you could say Halo was a spiritual successor to Marathon if Halo was a spiritual predecessor for Marathon...

And i think that Destiny includes some sort meta-game, where people's performance affects to a large map or something like that, and that would be what makes it "MMO-like".
my post went full retard.

End of halo 3 supposedly leads into beginning of marathon.

ElRenoRaven

Just now reading through this, but they were going to evaluate the PS3 as a platform for the first game, and then decide whether to release it in 2014 were it a go. Given all their PS3 hiring, I think Bungie probably decided to do it.

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p172/ghaleoneb/PS3_Destiny.png[IMG][/QUOTE]

Yup. That is my bet too. They probably realized part way through that it could be done on PS3 and decided to go ahead.

PS3_Destiny.png
Yep. I think that's the case too.

On the other hand, they could try out a Sony system architecture for preparing next gen Sony console. But this seems unlikely.

Woorloog

Banned
my post went full retard.

End of halo 3 supposedly leads into beginning of marathon.

Chronological predecessor is different from, uh, ... well something. Can't think a word for it.

And Halo and Marathon are not the same universe, i refuse to consider that.

Wait where does it say this? Can someone sum up or screencap all the good parts?

But uh, holy shit, I wonder how this document leaked out, cause this is like big stuff. I really, really hope it shows up at e3.

Says later in the article that the have a contract with activision that no more than 5% of staff can work on a game dubbed Marathon

FyreWulff

Time to find the keys to matchmaking marathon.bungie.org (i keed, it's actually updated)

Also, they can always get changes to the contract.. I imagine the 5% workforce allowance probably actually works differently in practice than we think.

ElRenoRaven

Time to find the keys to matchmaking marathon.bungie.org (i keed, it's actually updated)

Also, they can always get changes to the contract.. I imagine the 5% workforce allowance probably actually works differently in practice than we think.

Oh shit. I just thought of something. Marcus came back didn't he and has a small team? This couldn't be what his small team is working on could it? And yea MBO will have to be updated front page wise without a doubt if it happens.

FyreWulff

Oh shit. I just thought of something. Marcus came back didn't he? This couldn't be what his small team is working on could it? And yea MBO will have to be updated front page wise without a doubt if it happens.

Also, other parts of the legal document line up with what Bungie has already said about them having control over Destiny's/Destiny's DLC pricing:

The expected business model for the Products is a blend of retail packaged goods sales (although the parties acknowledge and agree that the future retail model for iterations of the Destiny Games may be via digital download rather than disk or packaged goods), subscriptions, downloadable content, value-added services and micro-transactions, the exact mix of which shall be determined by mutual agreement of Licensor and Activision. Pricing strategy for the Products shall be subject to mutual approval, provided in the event of a deadlock, Activision shall have the tie breaking vote.

Does papa wu own MBO ?

Yeah, you own all subdomains on a domain. Only the top level domain owner can create subdomains, so anything *.bungie.org is owned/controlled by Wu.

GhaleonEB

FF Weekly. How much is 200 waves?

5 waves per round, and 16 waves per game of Firefight (not Score Attack), assuming you clear the Bonus Round.

So 13 games assumig you get to the Bonus Round every time (and you don't play Score Attack). It's a LOT of Firefight for a pretty small payout.

5 waves per round, and 16 waves per game of Firefight (not Score Attack), assuming you clear the Bonus Round.

So 13 games assumig you get to the Bonus Round every time. It's a LOT of Firefight for a pretty small payout.

True but I think about it like an extra 1200 credits or so each game. You'll grab almost 100k just from playing the 13 games.

Tunavi

Banned
What??? Where? I thought the deal was just churning out Destiny games?
Side project

-Bungie is also working on a Marathon game, but currently no more than 5% of their staff (nor more than 5% of their key staff) can work on it, and the amount of employees that can work on it goes up slowly as they hit cumulative profit goals. For specifics on this see the contract since it's pretty lengthy.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
What??? Where? I thought the deal was just churning out Destiny games?

There's a clause allowing Bungie to have a small team (5% of their company) work on a Marathon project.

Hmm, I wonder where Bungie Aerospace fits into this.

There' so much granular stuff in there. How many Bungie folks works on Reach post release, the allocated Bungie.net staff and changes if things stall in development, the amount of copies of the game Bungie get and amounts of other Activision games they get, the DLC plans, the scheduling, the breakdown in profit sharing...

No, we shouldn't be even thinking these thoughts.

Woorloog

Banned
True but I think about it like an extra 1200 credits or so each game. You'll grab almost 100k just from playing the 13 games.

100k for 13*15minutes of playing (assuming one wave per a bit under a minute), that is 3 hours 15 minutes. That's 33k+ per hour, is that good or not? If i counted correctly.

Top Bottom