• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT4| Trust's a Tough Thing to Come by These Days

Holiday

Banned
My last 5 games have included HeH Snipers, Headlong Snipers, and, even after I switched playlists, Trident Snipers.

Who is the joker in charge of playlists and gametypes? There is a snipers playlist, get that dirt out of the rest of matchmaking. Niche trash should stay in the trash bin (Action Sack). There aren't any DMR starts in the Snipers playlist, so why in the hell are there Snipers everywhere else?

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
destiny45gcr1.png

Smh.

So Activision was banking on Bungie doing well with Reach to judge whether to continue with the deal? Interesting.

FyreWulff

So Activision was banking on Bungie doing well with Reach to judge whether to continue with the deal? Interesting.

It's standard language in these contracts, publishers always have a line or two that lets them get out without penalty, and it's usually some sort of insane goal that sounds realistic enough to hold up in court. It should be noted, however, that Bungie would have retained everything since this contract refers to Activision licensing Destiny from Bungie (hence Bungie being called Licensor throughout), not owning it.

edit: licensing from Bungie for the purposes of publishing.

Fuchsdh

Chronological predecessor is different from, uh, ... well something. Can't think a word for it.

And Halo and Marathon are not the same universe, i refuse to consider that.

Yeah I never got why people thought that--the Master Chief somehow falls back in time and works as a security officer on Mars?

They're only similar because the same people made them, toying with similar ideas (ancient aliens, implications of AI, etc.)

Woorloog

Banned
Yes, but it's veeeerry boring.

Indeed. I'd have to do it as Score Attack as i cannot stand others in Firefight games. Or the lag if the others are good guys, lag is unavoidable in FF. 40 games of Score Attack... *shudders*

Also, that input lag in Firefight better not be present in Halo 4's Spartan Ops or the mode's dead before the game's launch...

FyreWulff

If Reach didn't hit a certain Metacritic score, Activision could have cancelled Destiny.

The hell.

Yeah, Metacritic bullshit is in most new contracts these days. Your favorite developer could lose a million dollar bonus because one site dragged the Metacritic rating down by one point.

Ask a developer about Metacritic sometime. Wear a facemask and earplugs while doing it, though.

Woorloog

Banned
Cross-posting from that Destiny thread
http://source.bungie.org/

Free download for all three marathon games here.

Durandal is my favorite, but if anyone is interested, they are great old-school shooters with extraordinary atmospheres.

Heh, you went crazy about a possibility of a Marathon sequel... Talking about it everywhere :p

This reminds me, how many here have Durandal on 360? We could keep a community playdate someday.

Retro

Retro.

Lemme get some of that stuff.

Sorry, smoked the last of it for this list;

Im actually amazed how many environments and themes we haven't seen in a Halo game yet. I personally would love to see a BTB map set in the Tundra from Sword Base in Reach, glacial lake and all.

Off the top of my head, in terms of setting and style (not necessarily map layout);

- A Forerunner 'archive', a greenhouse-like series of enclosures with bizarre plant species surrounding a central Epitaph-style hall. 'Slides' containing various life-forms are constantly whizzing in and out of the room via mechanical claws and ceiling-mounted tracks, and you can shove other players into them for damage.

- A Covenant listening post on a jungle planet. A massive tower sitting in a festering marsh. The lower areas are caked with mud and flooded while the upper areas are covered in vines and growth. A huge gas planet hangs overhead, giving everything a deep blue tinge that highlights the green forest and purple structure.

- A human research facility in the arctic, set up like an oil platform. Huge waves crash up and over the deck (can push players off the stage) and there's a layer of ice on everything; chains, walkways, windows, everything. Beneath the upper deck and structures are small labs and maintenance hangars. When the waves crash, the whole level rocks back and forth and the labs hanging below the deck swing wildly. Layout very similar to Lockout.

- An underwater Forerunner structure similar to parts of Halo 2's Regret. Large portions of the map are flooded, so there's waterfalls and stuff where different parts of the base connect. Lots of glass ceilings and tubes that you can see other portions of the level from, as well as strange alien critters. Like you're crawling through a sewer made of glass.

- A BTB map in a wetland, but well-lit at sunset rather than the usual murky affair. Lots of low-hanging trees and mud everywhere, so when you go tearing around in a warthog it feels like you'd be better off in a boat. Have suspended foot bridges or wooden walkways, and lots of high grass to hide in, so infantry actually has a chance to evade vehicles. Maybe some concrete bunkers too.

- A battle on the hull of a Covenant cruiser. Skybox is built to make it feel like you're fighting to board the craft in the middle of a large space battle (Sabres and banshees whizzing by, strafing the hull occasionally). Big turrets firing off into the battle, etc. You should feel like you're moving around insanely fast.

- Would love to see a map use the atmosphere of ODST: Dark and rainy, destroyed and depressing. Lit with flashes of lightning. Something urban-feeling like the lovechild of Turf (narrow alleys, building-to-building combat) and Headlong (room for vehicles, lots of height and platforms).

- Wouldn't mind seeing a Covenant factory with banshees or weapon pods being constructed all around you. Could be Colossus or Longest-like in terms of the conveyor belts and lifts and such. Lots of anti-gravity devices pushing components together, etc. The map itself could take place on walkways and light-bridges that can be switch on and off, leading to some interesting CTF matches with different routes being player-activated.

Cross-posting from that Destiny thread

Heh, you went crazy about a possibility of a Marathon sequel... Talking about it everywhere :p

This reminds me, how many here have Durandal on 360? We could keep a community playdate someday.

I have it, gives me motion sickness though.

- A human research facility in the arctic, set up like an oil platform. Huge waves crash up and over the deck (can push players off the stage) and there's a layer of ice on everything; chains, walkways, windows, everything. Beneath the upper deck and structures are small labs and maintenance hangars. When the waves crash, the whole level rocks back and forth and the labs hanging below the deck swing wildly. Layout very similar to Lockout.

Blackout

FyreWulff

Like, seriously

http://www.gameshark.com/reviews/3624/Halo-Reach-Review.htm

That review is factored into Reach's metacritic score. A review that states that you play as an Elite in Halo 3's campaign. The reviewer could not tell the difference betweeen Halo 2 and 3, and it is factored into if a developer got paid a bonus or not.

THE REVIEW STATES THAT FIREFIGHT DOES NOT EXIST IN REACH. THIS PERSON DIDN'T EVEN PLAY THE GAME.

METACRITIC STILL COUNTS IT.

edit: THE REVIEW SUFFERS FROM MULTIPLE PERSONALITY DISORDER

edit2: FYREWULFF IS ILLITERATE

Woorloog

Banned
Like, seriously

That review is factored into Reach's metacritic score. A review that states that you play as an Elite in Halo 3's campaign. The reviewer could not tell the difference betweeen Halo 2 and 3, and it is factored into if a developer got paid a bonus or not.

Technically it is correct, in Halo 3 co-op you do play as an Elite if you're player 2, 3 or 4.

EDIT noticed your edit, zomg, what? WTF?

EDIT2 it could mean that there is no equivalent new concept in Reach compared to Halo 3's equipment and ODST's Firefight mode. Again, which is true, Armor Abilities are called equipment in many place and Bungie themselves noted it as an evolution of equipment, not a new idea.

FyreWulff

Technically it is correct, in Halo 3 co-op you do play as an Elite if you're player 2, 3 or 4.

EDIT noticed your edit, zomg, what? WTF?

EDIT2 it could mean that there is no equivalent new concept in Reach compared to Halo 3's equipment and ODST's Firefight mode.

I just read it again, he says Reach has no equivalent to Firefight, then talks about Firefight in the next page.

So he either watched video of someone playing, or two people wrote this review.

Like, seriously

THE REVIEW STATES THAT FIREFIGHT DOES NOT EXIST IN REACH. THIS PERSON DIDN'T EVEN PLAY THE GAME.

METACRITIC STILL COUNTS IT.

WELCOME TO VIDEO GAME JOURNALISM. ITS A FUCKING JOKE.

REMEMBER THOUGH ITS MORONS LIKE THIS THAT GET TO PLAY BEFORE US.

Woorloog

Banned
I just read it again, he says Reach has no equivalent to Firefight, then talks about Firefight in the next page.

So he either watched video of someone playing, or two people wrote this review.

Halo: Reach isn't terrible. It's just too familiar. There is nothing here to merit a full release, much less its status as one of the "event" games of the year. Halo 3 added a story in which you played as an Elite. It also introduced the concept of special equipment. These were pretty big deals. Then ODST gave us the co-operative Firefight mode, which had been a long time coming and was worth the wait. But there is no equivalent in Halo: Reach. It's mostly tweaks, shine jobs, new maps, slightly different weapons and a couple of modified vehicles.

Italicized and bolded parts. EDIT sorry, Underlined

EDIT can you see what i mean? Technically correct but it is a pretty lazy review.

WELCOME TO VIDEO GAME JOURNALISM. ITS A FUCKING JOKE.

REMEMBER THOUGH ITS MORONS LIKE THIS THAT GET TO PLAY BEFORE US.

JOBS ARE ACTUALLY DEPENDENT UPON METACRITIC SCORES

SCORES COMPOSED OF REVIEWS FROM DUMBASSES LIKE "DURR HURR ELITE IN HALO 3 WAS SO BIG OF A CHANGE DEEEEEERP"

HOW COMPLETELY FUCKING STUPID

What's especially hilarious and scary is that Metacritic often assigns its own score to a review or gives bizarre scores for letter grades (that C review is shown as a 50!).

Now just imagine how many legal agreements have a similar metacritic/game rankings bindings to them. Probably many.

Indeed. I'd have to do it as Score Attack as i cannot stand others in Firefight games. Or the lag if the others are good guys, lag is unavoidable in FF. 40 games of Score Attack... *shudders*

Also, that input lag in Firefight better not be present in Halo 4's Spartan Ops or the mode's dead before the game's launch...

Ugh, yes, that was the WORST. I love co-op, I must've played through Halo 3's campaign tens of times with my friends online, but I don't think I did it once with Reach because of that damned input lag.

kylej

Banned
the video game industry is a terrible shit hole

I don't really get it. Programmers, artists, etc in the field are specialized, it's not like they're going to be replaced with scabs if they protest. Everyone should unionize and stand up for some basic worker's rights. The Metacritic-based bonuses and 6 month crunches should not happen.

Is there anything comparable to something like that now?

Also, Urk, DeeJ and co can finally come back to gaf now. :)

Firefall?

Nothing on consoles, its a pretty tall order. Think Borderlands with hundreds or thousands of players, Syncing that much data is a heavy task

Retro

Dear lord... Now i have ideas based on those... Not for Halo but for other things. Too many ideas!

Let's hear 'em, or you can PM me if you want.

Exactly what I was thinking of, except that it would be covered in ice, water and snow. Like fighting in a massive blizzard. I felt like Blackout never came up in match making often enough for my liking, it was one of my favorite maps from Halo 2 in terms of close games and thrilling moments.

I don't really get it. Programmers, artists, etc in the field are specialized, it's not like they're going to be replaced with scabs if they protest.

You're kidding, right? The second you start to demand fair treatment, guess who's waiting to take your place for half your pay? A thousand kids fresh out of slapped-together Game Design programs with ultra-specialized skillsets that prevent them from migrating to other industries, living in a starry-eyed fantasy about the games industry where all of their dreams will come true.

There are so many kids who want your job and are willing to work for less pay or benefits just to be 'part of the games industry' that your job is never safe, especially at places like EA or Activision where they start shit like Icebreaker to dump their old, expensive and demanding talent, steal away their creative rights, and bring in a stock of naive young kids.

Exactly what I was thinking of, except that it would be covered in ice, water and snow. Like fighting in a massive blizzard. I felt like Blackout never came up in match making often enough for my liking, it was one of my favorite maps from Halo 2 in terms of close games and thrilling moments.

I dont see what you want really?

Map hazards (horrible)
Heavy Weather (frame rate)

Everything else is essentially blackout which is a poor mans lockout

Woorloog

Banned
Let's hear 'em, or you can PM me if you want.

You see, i'm making settings for our (me, my bro, my friends) homebrewn PnP RPG games. I have a big list of awesome locations to set fights, quests, etc stuff in. Some Halo maps have given me ideas. And now your ideas for Halo maps give me ideas for stuff for our RPGs. And i haven't had the chance to use but a few of my ideas yet... Well, i suppose it is a good thing to have a large amount of ideas waiting but still...

Woorloog

Banned
Absolutely agreed. I'd take minimum wage, a ridiculously huge paycut, to work on video games being a game tester or something.

Imagine the amount of paper work. You need to file an invidual report for every single bug, glitch, etc. you come across. 3 pages of data, 3 copies of each.

I have no idea what game tester's position entails and how they actually work

GhaleonEB

This stealh confirms new consoles for next year right?

Anyways, mmo fps on console sounds great to me.

Just keep in mind the contract is from 2010, and so next gen launch plans were probably not set in stone. I skimmed many sections, but I think I read some language about next gen release timing being subject to change.

Top Bottom