• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT4| Trust's a Tough Thing to Come by These Days

ElRenoRaven

Just keep in mind the contract is from 2010, and so next gen launch plans were probably not set in stone. I skimmed many sections, but I think I read some language about next gen release timing being subject to change.

Exactly. A lot of things timing wise are always subject to change in a contract like this. More so when they are external forces at work such as Microsoft, Sony, etc choosing when to release their consoles etc.

ElRenoRaven

Form the gaming side thread.

The game has in-game game masters.

This is presumably like a regular ass MMO in many ways.

destiny6wfugc.png

Yea. Looking more MMO like after all.

kylej

Banned
You're kidding, right? The second you start to demand fair treatment, guess who's waiting to take your place for half your pay? A thousand kids fresh out of slapped-together Game Design programs with ultra-specialized skillsets that prevent them from migrating to other industries, living in a starry-eyed fantasy about the games industry where all of their dreams will come true.

There are so many kids who want your job and are willing to work for less pay or benefits just to be 'part of the games industry' that your job is never safe, especially at places like EA or Activision where they start shit like Icebreaker to dump their old, expensive and demanding talent, steal away their creative rights, and bring in a stock of naive young kids.

Sure, but they can't produce as good a work product in as efficient a time frame as an experienced person, which is what publishers live and die for. In a war of attrition, nobody wins. You don't need a cost benefit analysis to know paying for three inexperienced people to do one experienced person's work has a negative net benefit.

The problem is the industry is too scared -- these days they have a right to be given the economic climate, but if some of the more important folks in the industry had stepped out and led the charge during the height of the PS2 era or in the late 90s, things would be different. Amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic. Developers need to stop accepting these increasingly ridiculous demands for shittier pay and longer hours and come together.

Any persistent world would require a game master, what if you get stuck in some geometry, the game world will be saving your position at regular intervals and what happens if you get stuck?

Encounter a game breaking bug?

Call the game master.

I wouldnt worry to much its going to be like every MMO out their firefall has proved you can have a good MMOFPS anything like that would be fine.

Woorloog

Banned
Any persistent world would require a game master, what if you get stuck in some geometry,

Reminds me of this WoW story. This guy died and as a ghost (while going to recover his body) he jumped on a roof and then on a chinmey... and got stuck. Had to request a GM, who came in with an avatar and jokingly asked if the guy was playing Santa.

Persistent worlds and bugs cause awesome stories.

Sure, but they can't produce as good a work product in as efficient a time frame as an experienced person, which is what publishers live and die for. In a war of attrition, nobody wins. You don't need a cost benefit analysis to know paying for three inexperienced people to do one experienced person's work has a negative net benefit.

You don't really know that. There are people out there who have very good adaption and can walk into anything and quickly be better than everyone. Its not and should not be based on legacies of any kind. Kings can be taken down.

I just hope that whatever Destiny ends up being, it doesn't have a monthly subscription tied to it.

'Cause as hard as they botched Reach, I don't want to be without playing new Bungie titles for the next decade.

Ocho

I've been a lurker for a long time now. I've successfully joined several gafas communities but I've always been afraid of this one.

Who should I add to get some Halo games going? I'm decent a big team player.

Loved the montage.

Woorloog

Banned
I just hope that whatever Destiny ends up being, it doesn't have a monthly subscription tied to it.

'Cause as hard as they botched Reach, I don't want to be without playing new Bungie titles for the next decade.

Yeah, kinda. At first i was like, "no, i won't get Destiny for fucking up Reach" but now... i don't know, i kinda focus on Reach's good parts (HaloGAF, active rooster, good sound) and don't care about the weak parts. And Destiny being some sort of MMO or maybe a shooter with persistent meta-game (my interpretation of know info) or something like that, and being a science fantasy (according to contract anyway) action shooter... well, it sounds kinda interesting. And Bungie did good job with Halo and Marathon earlier (i'm a retroactive fan for Marathon, even though i only played Durandal on Xbox).

But monthly sub would definetly kill it for me, microtransactions are OK.

senador

Banned

The problem is the industry is too scared -- these days they have a right to be given the economic climate, but if some of the more important folks in the industry had stepped out and led the charge during the height of the PS2 era or in the late 90s, things would be different. Amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic. Developers need to stop accepting these increasingly ridiculous demands for shittier pay and longer hours and come together.

wat. This shit doesn't really work. Everyone at a studio would have to do this together at the same time, and that's basically impossible. Getting people on the same page that are as passionate and angry and at wit's end as you are to make a stand isn't really real world. There's too much risk in that. People have kids, homes, cars, etc. They don't want their name ruined for future jobs. Even if everyone does take a stand, companies just don't give a shit. Most would still can everyone on principle even if it does screw them over. They'd just get new people and work the shit out of them til they get it right in their eyes. I don't see this happening at 343 or Bungie, people seem happy and high ups sound like they listen. They seem like the exception in the industry.

I tried to get my 10 person development team at my last job to take stands and even though everyone was super pissed off, they wouldn't. I ended up quitting one day, no notice. I was the first to go. Its super super hard/impossible to get places to change if they don't already have great leaders.

I've been a lurker for a long time now. I've successfully joined several gafas communities but I've always been afraid of this one.

Loved the montage.

Why scared? Kyle loves new people

Woorloog

Banned

Loved the montage.

Depends a bit on your timezone but i like playing BTB. I'm in Finland so UTC +2 (+3 with DST like now)... your profile says Mexico, so our timezones conflict heavily probably.
My GT is Empyrus, anyway, if you want to add me.
EDIT that i'm being up this late (4am here), well, that shouldn't happen and i try to avoid that (so far unsuccessfully) so don't count on me being up this time normally.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)

Loved the montage.

great. we need a few things from you:

new member survey

favorite maps

stance on ar vs. br

speedtest

Just now reading through this, but they were going to evaluate the PS3 as a platform for the first game, and then decide whether to release it in 2014 were it a go. Given all their PS3 hiring, I think Bungie probably decided to do it.

PS3_Destiny.png

Yeah I thought one of the main reasons they didn't consider signing a new publishing deal with MS was that they specifically wanted to go multiplatform.

XBOX 360 RELEASES

IN FALL 2014

FUCK ME

Yeah I kind of thought that based in it as well, but might be digging into it too much.

Really hyped for Bungie's new game. Can't wait to actually see it.

Ocho

Dunno why I've always been afraid to take the plunge, but Halo 4 being oh so close I want to have fellow gaffers to play with.

Regarding timezone, yeah people on the Americas would probably work best.

Also: oh god can't never catch with this threads posts.

Woorloog

Banned
Dunno why I've always been afraid to take the plunge, but Halo 4 being oh so close I want to have fellow gaffers to play with.

Regarding timezone, yeah people on the Americas would probably work best.

Also: oh god can't never catch with this threads posts.

No one can catch up with posts in these threads... this is Halo OT 4. Think about it for a moment. Before that, there were 7 Reach OTs. Or were there more? A lot anyway.

senador

Banned
Might as well not try then.

I personally tried for 4 years, and there is enough to write a book about. For me it ruined my life and made me pissed off and bitter all the time. I knew it was time when I hit that point. That wasn't even the games industry though. My point was, what you are saying is just not realistic at all. Surely people do try to change things all the time, but it doesn't work like you were saying.

Ocho

great. we need a few things from you:

new member survey

favorite maps

stance on ar vs. br

speedtest

Maps: Beaver Creek, Blood Gulch, Lockout.

ar vs br? I always drop the AR when possible.

Speedtest: Lame 6mbps download/.6 upload. Never had a problem playing Halo online.

Woorloog

Banned
Maps: Beaver Creek, Blood Gulch, Lockout.

ar vs br? I always drop the AR when possible.

Speedtest: Lame 6mbps download/.6 upload. Never had a problem playing Halo online.

Fill out this:

How long have you been a member of NeoGAF? How long have you lurked?

How old are you? What country or state are you posting from? (Optional)

How long have you been a Halo fan? Have you played all the games?

What mode do you spend most of your time in?

What is your favorite playlist?

Help us get to know you better. (Optional)

EDIT whoah, why is this test so short now? When i filled it, it was way longer?
EDIT like that AR/BR question, where did it go?

kylej

Banned
I personally tried for 4 years, and there is enough to write a book about. Its not even the games industry though. My point was, what you are saying is just not realistic at all. Surely people do try to change things all the time, but it doesn't work like you were saying.

How does it not work like what I'm saying. I said if some visible, influential people in the industry stepped out and tried to enact change, and gained the support of individuals throughout the industry, it could happen. That's how nearly every change in labor law has occurred throughout human history. Saying "Well I tried it and it didn't work, and it doesn't seem like it could happen" is defeatist and will lead to even worse conditions. Worker exploitation by any other name is still exploitation.

senador

Banned
How does it not work like what I'm saying. I said if some visible, influential people in the industry stepped out and tried to enact change, and gained the support of individuals throughout the industry, it could happen. That's how nearly every change in labor law has occurred throughout human history. Saying "Well I tried it and it didn't work, and it doesn't seem like it could happen" is defeatist and will lead to even worse conditions. Worker exploitation by any other name is still exploitation.

I was just relating my own experiences to it, and showing that even on a small scale with super pissed off people it didn't happen. It'll be that much harder on a large scale at studio level and even harder industry wide where there's lots of money in it, and people don't have the time and energy to spend crusading for better-ness. Time spent doing that is time lost working on a game. That's why we see people break off and start their own small studios, its just easier to leave then try to change it.

I agree with you that things can change, but look of the state of politics... Its that much harder when its jobs and you get paid for it. Its just really hard to get people to get up and do something about it.

Its possible, I suppose, but its easy to sit on your computer and say "they should just do this", when in reality its not so easy at all.

Fill out this:

Still too long.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Whoa WTF just saw where that Activision/Bungie image from the last page is from. Wow! It's a damn shame it had to be fleshed out like this but fuck me I'm excited. It's a real Huxley by a dope ass developer. First MMO I'm seriously interested in. Let's go Bungie!

I have a better test.

Do you like Halo?

I'm not a fan of Halo personally, BUT this new Halo 4 game looks pretty good!

Sorry I'm posting a lot and nonsense. Theres no work yet we cant go home. Getting paid to surf GAF right now. Guess Canadians take it pretty easy on Victoriaaaaa day huh?

Retro

A publisher like EA or Activision, that is concerned with cutting costs and maximizing profits and doesn't give a fig for the actual game quality? They're not concerned that it takes three inexperienced people the time to do the work of one experienced person. They'll simply make one inexperienced person work three times as hard. And the inexperienced person will let them do it because since he was 7, his dream was to make videogames and now he's living the dream.

Supply is high, demand is low. It's the ideal situation for a publisher to burn out his employees and recruit entirely new ones who will fight tooth and nail for their dream job.

I do agree it's a shitty position, and I could rant and rave about the despicable state of affairs in terms of creative rights, the lack of publisher vocabulary and an industry-wide aversion to risk. How the business model of the games industry is good at making game development companies but piss-poor at making games. That the gaming industry now looks very close to the film industry in the 40s and 50s; studio-driven, contract-heavy regurgitated blockbusters green-lit by business men rather than filmmakers.

It's a sad state of affairs, and I'm betting it will only get worse.

Ocho

Fill out this:

1: Member since 04/2009. I got my xbox360 almost a year and a half ago and that's when I began lurking the Halo threads (was a ps3/pc gamer).

2: 23 years old. Mexico, from a city called Monterrey. Can speak awesome spanish and not so awesome, but you'll understand me english (or so I think my fellow gaffers I've played with have).

3: Been a Halo fan since one day back in 2003 I was participating in a local tournament of Counter-strike, and noticed some guys were playing Halo 1. I was intrigued by the game and later got myself an Xbox on which I played, shamefully, not that many Halo 2 as I expected but enough. Participated in a tournament and got owned. Loved the game and the lore. Been a fan of Bungie ever since. I've played all the games except Halo Wars. I've been trying to get ahold of some of the books and deep more into the lore.

I do have to mention that I skipped Halo 3 (and the expansion) entirely. I only recently (when I got my 360) went through the campaign of Halo 3 and ODST to finish the story.

I've played Reach sporadically ever since. I've lacked friends to play with, and that's part of the reason I haven't been very active, but I really like the game.

4/5: I don't exactly grasp what's the difference between mode and playlist, but I'll say I've spent most of my time on the MLG playlist (I'm kind of competitive), but lately have decided to lay back and play some friendly anniversary classic (playlists in which I can actually come on top).

6: I love competitive videogames. I've been following some of the MLG tournaments of Halo even though I wasn't really playing Halo. Watching was enough for me. I do play all kind of games, though, and recently started playing BF3 with a bunch of Gaffers.

The end.

Just now catching up on thread. Destiny news is... interesting. I don't think i'll have any response or feelings about it until we know more. But the microsoft exclusivity part is a good thing for the xbox. It really needs more than just Halo/Gears/Forza.

Also,

Posting favorite maps is fun!

Halo:CE: Chill Out, Damnation, Hang'Em High
Halo2: Colossus, Lockout, Headlong, Warlock
Halo3: Standoff, Rat's Nest, Citadel, Construct
Halo Reach: Sword Base
haha yes
, Countdown, Kingdom

FyreWulff

A publisher like EA or Activision, that is concerned with cutting costs and maximizing profits and doesn't give a fig for the actual game quality? They're not concerned that it takes three inexperienced people the time to do the work of one experienced person. They'll simply make one inexperienced person work three times as hard. And the inexperienced person will let them do it because since he was 7, his dream was to make videogames and now he's living the dream.

Supply is high, demand is low. It's the ideal situation for a publisher to burn out his employees and recruit entirely new ones who will fight tooth and nail for their dream job.

I do agree it's a shitty position, and I could rant and rave about the despicable state of affairs in terms of creative rights, the lack of publisher vocabulary and an industry-wide aversion to risk. How the business model of the games industry is good at making game development companies but piss-poor at making games. That the gaming industry now looks very close to the film industry in the 40s and 50s; studio-driven, contract-heavy regurgitated blockbusters green-lit by business men rather than filmmakers.

It's a sad state of affairs, and I'm betting it will only get worse.

Know what hurts? Getting your XBLA game cancelled because a Bigger Publisher wanted to debut a game in the same genre first, to the point that instead of just pushing it back, you get kicked all the way off the stepladder because the other two guys that came later to the table were ALSO bigger than you in terms of money.

One moment you think you're gonna be getting royalties and your name in an actual game that your friends and family can buy, next thing WeWishYouWellOnYourFutureEndeavors.html

m23

If anyone feels like playing Halo soon send me an invite, GT: Munish Thiara. I'm in the mood for some Halo today. Otherwise I'll go back to some Max Payne.

Retro

Know what hurts? Getting your XBLA game cancelled because a Bigger Publisher wanted to debut a game in the same genre first, to the point that instead of just pushing it back, you get kicked all the way off the stepladder because the other two guys that came later to the table were ALSO bigger than you in terms of money.

One moment you think you're gonna be getting royalties and your name in an actual game that your friends and family can buy, next thing WeWishYouWellOnYourFutureEndeavors.html

That's not even the worst horror story I've heard, but that seriously sucks man. I really do hope things improve for you in the future.

kylej

Banned
Alright. Your comments on the subject just seem fairly ignorant IMO. Oh well.

I work in a very boutique commercial finance firm and help underwrite, build backends, and deal with clients on varying types of multimillion dollar transactions every day, and I have a degree in Political Science. I'm no Einstein, but I'm not ignorant on societal change and business.

A publisher like EA or Activision, that is concerned with cutting costs and maximizing profits and doesn't give a fig for the actual game quality?

The problem is this only works for so long. It's not like the games industry is a unique snowflake, cutting costs by dropping higher paid workers and sacrificing long term viability for the immediate bottom line is Reaganomics 101. There's something morbidly futile about individuals killing themselves to produce a game of high enough quality that they'll get a 90 on Metacritic, while knowing that type of rating gives the franchise enough clout to guarantee two quick sequels made by a staff of cheaper employees and harsher conditions.

Top Bottom