• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT8| A Salt on the Control Room

So, Im replaying Perfect Dark Zero, and I have to say, this game has some damn good looking textures, and really pretty environments. While the character faces are blah, this game still looks good today.. I think it helped contribute to my disappointment in Halo 3s visuals. I would kill for another Perfect Dark.. I also love its approach to sandbox gameplay with multiple routes and optional objectives.

AND NOW A DRAMATIC READING OF A REAL HALOGAFFER PITCHING A REAL BRILLANT IDEA (Juices)

ibyw7MJCfw0CNZ.gif

Havok

What are you talking about. Elephants are awesome!
Y'know, until some moron drives yours right to the enemy, or until the other team tilts their elephant 80 degrees in the air making it impossible to grab the flag.

Fine idea on paper, player behavior ruins it.

Tawpgun

Elephants were cool as fuck.

Too bad some douchebag always parked it on top of the wrecked phantom and made the game all cinematic.

PooBone

We are going to see such a level like Gears 2. If you watch the Halo 4 Prelude trailer again(the cinema trailer), you can see how much "playable" area the Mammoth has. The Chief will fight on it. Or it looks like it.

I didn't notice anything like that. Got a time stamp for that?

So, Im replaying Perfect Dark Zero, and I have to say, this game has some damn good looking textures, and really pretty environments. While the character faces are blah, this game still looks good today.. I think it helped contribute to my disappointment in Halo 3s visuals. I would kill for another Perfect Dark.. I also love its approach to sandbox gameplay with multiple routes and optional objectives.

I seriously thought I was the only person who appreciated PDZ's visuals........

I didn't notice anything like that. Got a time stamp for that?

He must be referring to the mountains along the sides of the Mammoth and how it's boxed in, but in reality we don't know how much space we have in front of it.

it was Gears 2. the beginning of the attack on the locust hive, trying to plant that big ass bomb.
and the "flying enemies" were the annoying part - fighting infantry on the ground, as well as the boarding parties was okay. but those damn "flying enemies" (what was the name of those units again?)...

By far the best part of GoW2 campaign, Reavers (Flying horses or Nemacys (Flying Mortars)?

Oh damn is that the video that had the Campaign spoiler in it? If so, I've only watched it once.. trying to avoid catching that spoiler lol - I was talking about the first clip we saw of the Mammoth
I don't know what spoiler you're talking about, but I don't remember having anything spoiled.

But I've never read any of the books or anything like that so I'm not the best authority

heckfu

Banned
Just hit the jackpot in my second game of Arena. Yall should play while the gettins good. If I'm donging right now yall KNOW the other kids are bad.

The Elephant was awesome, but underused.. Hopefully we can get more use out of that thing, maybe even center a gametype around em. Nothing crazy like invasion, but something that would exist in BTB.

I seriously thought I was the only person who appreciated PDZ's visuals........

The character art and direction is awful, but the environment and gun art is fantastic. Such a good looking game.

I really enjoyed Elephants. Well, when I could find a game in which they were useful. If my memory isn't faulty, most games I played they just sat there unused.

I love the concept of a huge Halo vehicle like the Elephant. I can't wait to see what we do with that huge vehicle in Halo 4 and if it's in multiplayer.

Talents

Banned
Just looked at the leaked achievement list, there is like, no challenging ones, some of them are pathetic. I mean, save a film, save a screenshot, and upload a file. Hardly difficult.

Was expecting some difficult MP ones.

Pop

Just looked at the leaked achievement list, there is like, no challenging ones, some of them are pathetic. I mean, save a film, save a screenshot, and upload a file. Hardly difficult.

You don't want them all to be challenging, do you?

Edit: and just no to the MP ones.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State

I'm happy with them. The stupid Reach MP ones were horrible. You had to boost just to get them. 4 has more SP and SpOps.

Vire

I'm pretty sure the point wasn't to make them difficult, but rather make people aware of the features and have people use them.

Also, thank god you aren't in charge cause difficult MP chieves fucking blow. It all comes down to luck most of the time.

Plywood, I approve of your avatar.

And the Elephants were cool, but you basically couldn't drive them anywhere but on that 8-shaped road, which kinda sucked.

Thank god, I want to play the game for fun not for doing an achievement. I hate Online cheevos

Talents

Banned
I'm pretty sure the point wasn't to make them difficult, but rather make people aware of the features and have people use them.

Also, thank god you aren't in charge cause difficult MP chieves fucking blow. It all comes down to luck most of the time.

Achievements are supposed to be challenging, you're not exactly 'achieving' something if it's handed to you on a silver plater.

Yeah, I'm going through my own Perfect Agent run of it right now and I'm finding it's not as horrible as I thought a long time ago. I mean, sure, the aiming is pretty weird, the framerate goes to shit, and the animations are quirky, but it's not like PD was without similar faults. This also has the benefit of ridding all the Skedar nonsense too.

I also like the added bits of randomization to the levels, enemy patrols will change when you restart, as will camera placements. Keeps you on your toes. The cartoony plastic characters are whatever, but I do enjoy the environments. Some of the new weapons were nice too, like the faux AK that has a secondary fire which pneumatically shoots out its bayonet.

I think you confused challenging with fucking stupid. The multiplayer achievements in the past games were atrocious, multiplayer should stand on its own accord without a player mentality altering meta layer on top of it.

Woorloog

Banned
Achievements are supposed to be challenging, you're not exactly 'achieving' something if it's handed to you on a silver plater.

Yeah, they're supposed to be challenging (solo legendary, solo legendary Spartan Ops chapter (meant for coop)) but if an achievement is based on luck...
Too many "challenging" achievements are very much luck-based often.

Also, MP achievements suck anyway.

Yeah they are. Bungie did the same thing with Reach achievements. They said the design goals behind the achievements were to encourage the player to use all the different game modes and features in the game. It's pretty clear that 343 has done the same for H4.

Talents

Banned
Yeah, they're supposed to be challenging (solo legendary, solo legendary Spartan Ops chapter (meant for coop)) but if an achievement is based on luck...
Too many "challenging" achievements are very much luck-based often.

Also, MP achievements suck anyway.

Solo legendary isn't exactly challenging either. It's mostly more time consuming than challenging.

They should make a 'Mythic' campaign achievement, or something along those lines. (If skulls were in Halo 4.)

TheOddOne

Everything you say from now on has no meaning. Like dust in the wind. Like Capcom's relevance to gaming. Like George Lucas and the Star Wars franchise.

I hate it when 343i Officially Leak info, Show some respect for the dev's

Vire

Multiplayer achievements aren't challenging, they are luck based bullshit that aren't easily replicated.

Something like solo Legendary is a way more fun achievement in my book.

Anyway, I was rewatching that Cinematic trailer and I noticed something behind the Grunt...

tV25v.png

WATCH OUT DUDER.

Can anyone say three-way battles?

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Anyway, I was rewatching that Cinematic trailer and I noticed something behind the Grunt...

tV25v.png

WATCH OUT DUDER.

Can anyone say three-way battles?
There's a quick scene that passes by with a Prom Knight gripping an elite by the neck and tossing it.

Seance

Banned
Everything you say from now on has no meaning. Like dust in the wind. Like Capcom's relevance to gaming. Like George Lucas and the Star Wars franchise.

HEY! Dragons Dogma is my GOTY, take it back I say!
Mock if wrong, but did 343 say all pre-order/LE DLC will be available on the marketplace at some point?
I really want Fotus, Recruit and Locus...

Woorloog

Banned
Looking at your avatar, i really like Halo 4's DMR's side profile.
Too bad i don't really like the way weapon acts, BR feels so much better.
Though maybe it is my Reach experience speaking?

Wonder if the Needle Rifle is in along with the Carbine. They both act alike but the Nerfle could be tweaked to be more like Covie DMR.

Talents

Banned
I think you confused challenging with fucking stupid. The multiplayer achievements in the past games were atrocious, multiplayer should stand on its own accord without a player mentality altering meta layer on top of it.

I didn't try any of Reach's achievements, but Halo 3's weren't really difficult, the most notable was something like get 2 double kills on a legendary map. Then there were others like get a perfection/overkill and almost anyone could get them, the only one I found that involved luck/boosting was the get a double laser kill in lone wolves or something.

Top Bottom