• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT8| A Salt on the Control Room

FyreWulff

The toyverse and gameverse aren't quite synced. For the longest time all the Halo Megabloks toys were under the Halo Wars branding, and there was a set that was obviously based off Halo 3 but was still under the Wars branding. I wouldn't read into the Megabloks sets too much.

One of these days I might buy or buy for someone the Pelican, the box it comes in is huge.

Barrow,

Al5bn.jpg
ply
would

Here's something that never made sense.

ODST's got VISR and Spartans did not. Now you could say "but VISR was invented after the spartan's" but chief got his armor shipped to the Cairo the Morning before he was fitted meaning that it was very soon after completion date? Why was it not intergrated into the suit.

Now the easy answer is Bungie had not made VISR by this point and that is fine but at some point id love if they added it to him. I guess ProVis is like VISR 2.0 but id like if it was reverse engineered into a more "UNSC" tech for H5 and H6

How did Johnson use the VISR?

Video games.

Isn't MJOLNIR canonically equipped with VISR or similar tech? Nightvision, thermal at least.

Promethean vision is combination of UNSC VISR 4.0 plus Forerunner tech.

If I'm remebering right, Spartan-IIs and to a lesser extent some of the IIIs receive a biological augmentation that gives them night vision. So, gameplay balance for us to spice things up, but in-story they probably wouldn't even need something like VISR due to their superpowered situational awareness. I haven't read Evolutions or whichever book talked about the Headhunter team, but they could have been being tested before IIIs had gotten the particular drug cocktail that gave them night vision.

Cool! Brute and Brute Chooper are on a Halo 4 MegaBloks package! Both are going to be in Halo 4! OMG! Hell yes!

I know you're joking, but this actually made me realize something.

Halo 4 could very easily utilize vehicles out of Halo Wars to introduce fresh concepts while still following the "only two new vehicles" rule.

Flashlight > VISR babby mode
I don't want to spend half a game with some dumb filter on like in ODST. I really hate filters in games. Night-vision, heat-vision, VISR mode, Prometean-vision, they're all shit. I want to see the game itself, not a few green, red or green shapes resembling a map or level.

No they should make an AA filter called 60fps where they reduce the textures and amount of detail and run the game in 60fps.

lol well done

Exactly. Just found it interesting, thats all. And i thought Frankie already confirmed no brutes anyways (I cant remember for sure).

Yup he did, I doubt the Chopper is going to return though if the Brutes aren't in. The Gravity Hammer seems easier to fit in over a vehicle, but Forerunner equivalent maybe?

I've seen people say that multiple times.
Why would the Forerunners, or the Prometheans more specifically, have a Chopper-like warmachine?

I've stopped trying to make everything seem reasonable in the context of the Halo's canon a while ago. Why would the Prometheans create that HLS and only have it cover a small portion of their front? Too many questions that don't seem to make sense once you start nitpicking.

Enfinit

The first time I watched that review it made me say "what the fuck, really?" a dozen times. Who honestly thought it was a good idea for a person who knows NOTHING about FPS's aside from CoD to review a game.

"Any game that doesn't allow you to have aim-down sights just seems really dated, although it's probably intentional."

Like, wut?

I just started watching Game of Thrones yesterday, and I was like "I've seen that guy before, but I can't remember where." Logged on to GAF, and I was like IT'S THAT GUY'S AVATAR! Well played, Stalker. The show is absolutely fantastic.

Homeboyd

Hey does anyone have any Halo/xbox related XBL codes for things like avatars, props, or even 48 hour live codes, etc that you're not planning on using? Anything would be awesome. I can discuss what it's for via PM as it isn't for me personally. Let me know if you have anything at all.

Thank you.

The first time I watched that review it made me say "what the fuck, really?" a dozen times. Who honestly thought it was a good idea for a person who knows NOTHING about FPS's aside from CoD to review a game.

"Any game that doesn't allow you to have aim-down sights just seems really dated, although it's probably intentional."

Like, wut?

another A+ review from IGN!

Someone needs to give me one of those sweet H4 Chief avatar costumes. Iv wanted one since i first seen them.

I just started watching Game of Thrones yesterday, and I was like "I've seen that guy before, but I can't remember where." Logged on to GAF, and I was like IT'S THAT GUY'S AVATAR! Well played, Stalker. The show is absolutely fantastic.

Its Jason Mamoa dude is a boss. He played Drogo (GoT) Conan (Conan) and Ronon Dex (Stargate Atlantis). I like him lots.

Game of Thrones is fantastic. We become GoT/HaloGAF at when its showing. SoGood.gif

THAT IS WHAT I HAVE BEEN SAYING THE WHOLE TIME. Different classes!

Flying a Hawk in a FPS Halo game would be beautiful
ly overpowered
. Maybe if it was just in Campaign or something.

I've seen people say that multiple times.
Why would the Forerunners, or the Prometheans more specifically, have a Chopper-like warmachine?

You know an Engineer created the Chopper, right? It did it out of a plow/space tractor as a peace offering. We know Engineers tend to build stuff based on what they already know (like Chief's shields getting buffed in Halo 2, etc.) so it makes some sense. Just replace a lot of the crunchy gritty mechanical parts of the Chopper with some sleeker hardlight tech and you now have a motorcycle that can tear its way through pretty much any Flood offense, save for maybe Carrier forms. So far the Flood don't really have anything that can outright counter a Chopper unless they hijack a vehicle themselves, even the Chopper's guns could waste any airborne Flood unit.

Woorloog

Banned
I've stopped trying to make everything seem reasonable in the context of the Halo's canon a while ago. Why would the Prometheans create that HLS and only have it cover a small portion of their front? Too many questions that don't seem to make sense once you start nitpicking.
Eh, true.
For grinding up Flood?
When their weapons disintegrate them?

But as UNKNOW says, Halo doesn't make much sense.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Yes it was from a Halo 4 megablock box. And same here. It was probably my favorite vehicle in H3.

Holy fuck, so brutes and the chopper will be back in Halo 4.

PRAISE BASED DONGBLANINGTON!

The megablocks are no way tied into the game.

I just saw the chopper and felt like posting it, because I havent seen it posted and its different than Halo 3s chopper. This doesnt mean that the chopper is gonna be in the game though.

Boo!

Overdoziz

Banned
Understand what you mean, though I don't like Flashlights either really... This is one problem with Skyrim and other Elder Scrolls games, can't do anything at night time without a nightvision spell or a light spell.

VISR mode should be something that is useful at times but not needed constantly.
Remember how it worked in ODST announcement trailer? It just gave the Brutes outlines, helping to differentiate them from the backround.
Fuck outlines. A single press of a button and you can see everyone in your view? You want arrows above their heads too in case you missed them? Might as well just make it a day-time mission while you're at it. I wish 343 would make it so night time levels are actually dark and you only have a relatively small flashlight. It would make the game play completely different from missions during the day. They should be tense and unpredictable. It would be even better if the enemies can actually see your flashlight which means that turning it on is a big risk.

I think that if ODST had all of this and no VISR mode it would've made you feel a lot more alone and helpless while walking through the Mombasa Streets.

Edit: Juices, get on your 360, now.
For anyone else who wants to join for some Arena, MLG or Team Swordbase, my GT is Overdoz1z.

Woorloog

Banned
Fuck outlines. A single press of a button and you can see everyone in your view? You want arrows above their heads too in case you missed them? Might as well just make it a day-time mission while you're at it. I wish 343 would make it so night time levels are actually dark and you only have a relatively small flashlight. It would make the game play completely different from missions during the day. They should be tense and unpredictable. It would be even better if the enemies can actually see your flashlight which means that turning it on is a big risk.

I think that if ODST had all of this and no VISR mode it would've made you feel a lot more alone and helpless while walking through the Mombasa Streets.

Yeah, if this were Aliens or something like that, a survival horror. ODST wasn't, it didn't even try to be. Just a night-time/twilight Halo.
The point was, mere outlines wouldn't be so annoying as the green tint of VISR night vision.

Holy fuck, so brutes and the chopper will be back in Halo 4.

PRAISE BASED DONGBLANINGTON!

What's this "based" something thing? Someone please explain it.

Because its bad-ass

Well at least that would be Halo-like explanation for it... Works for most things in Halo.
Not a "real" explanation though

I wish 343 would make it so night time levels are actually dark and you only have a relatively small flashlight. It would make the game play completely different from missions during the day. They should be tense and unpredictable. It would be even better if the enemies can actually see your flashlight which means that turning it on is a big risk.

Mission diversity is definitely something Halo needs more of.. I think Halo 4 is going to shock many people at how well the Campaign will be crafted. The production quality already seems fan-frikkin-tastic!

Woorloog

Banned

It is annoying to do anything at all without those. Not counting sneaking. But even then i like to see where i'm going.

For the record, on PC i use mods to make night time even darker... better immersion but makes playing the game annoying.
Good thing the game has wait function...

It is annoying to do anything at all without those. Not counting sneaking. But even then i like to see where i'm going.

For the record, on PC i use mods to make night time even darker... better immersion but makes playing the game annoying.
Good thing the game has wait function...

I swear you must be blind. I never have any trouble at all seeing things in the darkest of conditions on Skyrim...

Edit: I guess I could play some H3, got nothing better to do. GT: Po1ishpimp74...

Woorloog

Banned
I swear you must be blind. I never have any trouble at all seeing things in the darkest of conditions on Skyrim...

Maybe you have brighter screen/TV?

Re-reading my post, it was actually a hyperbole. Should've written "annoying to do anything at night time".
Never realy liked dark games, regardless of platform or genre though.

I do have glasses that are not quite suitable for me anymore, see kinda "ghost" image in addition to real image, dark conditions don't help.

Woorloog

Banned
Thanks. Primordium had a lot.of info but too much filler

Definetly. It feels like the trilogy is a trilogy needlessy, all the important stuff from Primordium could have been condenced to Cryptum, and i assume, Silentium. Would make each one a bit longer but i don't see that as a bad thing.

EDIT that FUD article was very interesting.

EDIT nice VISR mode there V V

neoism

So Good. Click to make bigger

lol I bought halo pc just for the halo emblem on your name thing in Reach :p Is it hard to mod halo 1 that looks insane. I still haven't beat Halo 1 A stopped at the level after the library on Legendary... I swear that game was sooo much harder back in the good'ol days.

neoism

I think they said they're sending off for certification at the end of this month

woow really it takes awhile to make a shit loud of disc but goddamn it. If they're that close why have we been only shown out shit... :/

2 months for the hype right... :/

Havok

lol I bought halo pc just for the halo emblem on your name thing in Reach :p Is it hard to mod halo 1 that looks insane. I still haven't beat Halo 1 A stopped at the level after the library on Legendary... I swear that game was sooo much harder back in the good'ol days.
That's just a custom level with some extra graphical plugins, CMT's T&R v3. It's not hard to get going at all, but I didn't think it was any fun (and I actively disliked the VISR/snow combo -- the VISR outlines destroy the tension that the level does so well). There's a bunch of video of it being played out there (including from when I streamed it!) if you don't want to go through the process.

Top Bottom