• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT8| A Salt on the Control Room

Shadders

Last question.

If someone called me a "cracker" in the U.K would I be arrested? If someone called a person from Ireland a "limy" or potato eater would they be arrested? How "deep" is this law?

The law talks about "offensive language that makes reference to a person's race and/or ethnicity"

It depends entirely on context. The English Football captain was in court a few weeks ago for calling another player a "black cunt", the word black on its own wouldn't see him charged, but when used as a modifier on an offensive word it becomes illegal. Cracker would probably be illegal, Potato eater probably wouldn't. You wouldn't call an Irish person a Limy, it's the English who are Limies, but even then I'm not sure it would qualify as offensive language.

Woorloog

Banned
Would the Pathfinder spec (the one that lets you carry the turret faster) also let you walk faster with HLS?
That's a good question, and I'm betting yes. Although, I wonder if some AAs are locked out of some specs.
I doubt it Pathfinder will boost HLS, balance issues (not counting that perks are going to be hell to balance anyway). Would be interesting though. EDIT just thought of using the HLS for retreating... slow movement probably prevents that. But with Pathfinder, assuming it boosts the HLS...

Did COD have any forbidded Perk-equipment combos? Can't remember. Not exactly comparable but...
I doubt AAs and perks will restrict each other.

It is already socially unacceptable. To attach legal penalties to it is far, far worse than the action itself. It is as simple as that.

And that is the last I will say on this subject.

I see the action itself as far worse... but penalties being meaningless, waste of resources because it won't get rid of the action. But yeah, let's drop it.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Last question.

If someone called me a "cracker" in the U.K would I be arrested? If someone called a person from Ireland a "limy" or potato eater would they be arrested? How "deep" is this law?

And no, you wouldn't be arrested for it, but you might get your ass whipped.

Also if the term was used preceding a violent offence or crime it could be moved into a "hate crime" status, but the word itself is not worthy of arrest/criminal process, no. As it should be.

Comments or posts deemed to be of a racist, homophobic, slanderous, religious hatred or violent nature are breaches of UK law.

Police are happy to arrest if evidence can be provided and CPS will prosecute if it's convinced the evidence would convince a judge.

Sending a message over Xbox Live is no different than using Twitter and calling someone a "ni**er" for example on either service could land you with a criminal record and possibly prison.

As an American, you may see this as censorship of your 1st amendment rights, but over here and across most of Europe, such laws protect people from undeserved harassment and abuse, which in this part of the world, we've decided that, as a society, we won't tolerate.

GhaleonEB

As an American, you may see this as censorship of your 1st amendment rights, but over here and across most of Europe, such laws protect people from undeserved harassment and abuse, which in this part of the world, we've decided that, as a society, we won't tolerate.

I like your laws better.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Will Pathfinder let you crouch with the Hardlight shield?

Serious question? It was said before that it acts as a "turret." Hence his "question."

There's no reason it would make you crouch, but it could theoretically make you move quicker.

Comments or posts deemed to be of a racist, homophobic, slanderous, religious hatred or violent nature are breaches of UK law.

Police are happy to arrest if evidence can be provided and CPS will prosecute if it's convinced the evidence would convince a judge.

Sending a message over Xbox Live is no different than using Twitter and calling someone a "ni**er" for example on either service could land you with a criminal record and possibly prison.

That makes sense, so long as it's kept in check (obviously in my opinion). It also makes sense given Europe's history, but it's kind of strange given the high xenophobia in many Euro nations, that's a discussion for another time/place though.

I'm just glad it's not that way here, yet, anyway.

Woorloog

Banned
but it's kind of strange given the high xenophobia in many Euro nations

Eh? To me it looks like the US has more xenophobia than EU.
Hmm. EDIT that said, nationalistic parties are getting more and more following here, i think. Maybe you're right.

I wonder if 343i will explore the UNSC and Halo's future Earth society in Halo fiction more in the future. We really don't know about the workings of UEG etc.
Reach would have been a perfect place to show Halo's human civilians in their lives... Missed oppoturnity :/

I would put a foot note on this that this rarely happens in the overall context of verbal abuse.

You can't crouch with HLS, just like you can't crouch with a turret. That was what was implied from lybertyboy's post. The question was 'can you crouch with HLS?' The response: 'can you crouch with a turret?' Stop making this an issue.

stupid question, do we have an overhead view of the layout of Haven yet?

So got to play a few matches of Halo 4 today. I played on Haven, Adrift as well as Longbow. Overall, it was fun but there were some problems due to it being e3 build I guess. There was some input lag that really affected the game, not sure if it was the game or the setup.

Aren't the TVs there like 50 inches and mounted to the wall or something? Seems like it was probably the setup to me.

Also, how many people on Longbow? 4v4? how'd it play?

m23

So got to play a few matches of Halo 4 today. I played on Haven, Adrift as well as Longbow. Overall, it was fun but there were some problems due to it being e3 build I guess. There was some input lag that really affected the game, not sure if it was the game or the setup.

Adrift was the first match, tried using BR but failed hard. Not sure if it was me getting used to the game or what. The map was okay, but seemed like everybody stuck to one area. Got to try out Scattershot, loved it. Wasn't as powerful as I thought it would be.

Longbow was by far the most fun map there, DMR destroys all. I loved it, reduced bloom not zero bloom which I guess was known already. Friend tried out sniper and loved it.

Haven was a beautiful map to look at. BR worked well on it, it was pretty hectic though.

Infinity Slayer was played majority of the time, with personal ordnance dropping and everything. Tried out Thruster which was awesome, PV was not for me.

Top players on the winning teams got a mini poster of Chief with the Cryptum. I couldn't take video unfortunately since it was in a closed area.

It was great fun, felt like Halo but still with new additions. Can't wait to play the full release, people at PAX are lucky they get to play a newer build.

I wonder if 343i will explore the UNSC and Halo's future Earth society in Halo fiction more in the future. We really don't know about the workings of UEG etc.
Reach would have been a perfect place to show Halo's human civilians in their lives... Missed oppoturnity :/

Indeed it would. The closest it actually came were those farmsteads in the first few missions and Club Errera. For the most part, the urban environments one fought through didn't look like places where people would actually live, work or play. Missed opportunity indeed, like so many other things in Reach.

Woorloog

Banned
Indeed it would. The closest it actually came were those farmsteads in the first few missions and Club Errera. For the most part, the urban environments one fought through didn't look like places where people would actually live, work or play. Missed opportunity indeed, like so many other things in Reach.

Too bad it is unlikely this will really happen, considering Halo is a work of military science fiction, primarily a video game franchise :/
Ironically it feels like the Covenant and even the Forerunners have been explored more.

It does look like the humankind in Halo isn't very different from the IRL situation though, just more united and somewhat more technologically advanced. Which is really odd... though understandable due to video game origins, Bungie wanted something recognizable.
Compare Halo's humans to Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri or some other hard speculative fiction...

:lol my post was a joke concerning the whole "DEVS DON'T KNOW IF YOU CAN CROUCH WITH HLS HALO 4 DEVELOPMENT IS DOOMED" fiasco. That said, it'd be fun to troll people with Hardlight Shield + Pathfinder if you can speed into people with it and push them off ledges, knock light vehicles into explosives, etc.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
You can forget about exploring Humanity in any meaningful way in any future Halo media, books, games or otherwise.

There's a stupidly rich tapestry of human political history and development that has been outright ignored for years now.

Halo just won't go there. It's easier to sell stories about the good guy humans killing the evil aliens. OK, so I'm being a tad bit salty. Glasslands was a step in the right direction but something tells me Humanity will be one big happy family come Halo 4.

Which bulletin?

Wraparound.PNG

Not sure, but here's the heatmap.

So, it is a symmetrical map (in a way), which I guess I should've known already.

My follow-up question is, are the two "sides" of the map clearly distinguished from one another? It's one of my pet peeves when there's an opportunity to do so on a symmetrical map and it's passed up.

I'd be happy with some in depth ONI storyline to be honest. Video game OR book. Although, I'm not current with the books, so I may have missed some.

So the Starcraft: Ghost of the Halo universe?

I feel like we've sort of already had that in ODST. It sorta kinda delved into ONI.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
You can forget about exploring Humanity in any meaningful way in any future Halo media, books, games or otherwise.

There's a stupidly rich tapestry of human political history and development that has been outright ignored for years now.

Halo just won't go there. It's easier to sell stories about the good guy humans killing the evil aliens.

I'd be happy with some in depth ONI storyline to be honest. Video game OR book. Although, I'm not current with the books, so I may have missed some.

Aggrotek

Wraparound.PNG

Not sure, but here's the heatmap.

So, it is a symmetrical map (in a way), which I guess I should've known already.

My follow-up question is, are the two "sides" of the map clearly distinguished from one another? It's one of my pet peeves when there's an opportunity to do so on a symmetrical map and it's passed up.

Isn't one side darker than the other?

Woorloog

Banned

Halo just won't go there. It's easier to sell stories about the good guy humans killing the evil aliens. OK, so I'm being a tad bit salty. Glasslands was a step in the right direction but something tells me Humanity will be one big happy family come Halo 4.

Lemme guess, the... dammit, forgot what they were called, the Wars that resulted in the UNSC becoming the leading faction of humankind, and later on, the Insurection and pre-Insurection era?

You're right that these probably won't be explored... It is nice to wish for stuff though.

Isn't one side darker than the other?

Yeah, i thought one side was covered in shadows and the other was brighter.

Sadly agreed. Even current Innie conflict feels like such potential brushed aside.

OT: The discussion, from a few days ago, of what would be our games keeping us busy for the next few months. Might be Dark Souls for me.

Woorloog

Banned
Borderlands 2 for me. I wonder when the OT will go up.

7 days before the release? Isn't that when OTs should be posted earliest?

Mechwarrior Online, Planetside 2 for me, i reckon. Also some not-backlog games, like Civ 5...

Sadly agreed. Even current Innie conflict feels like such potential brushed aside.

Yet another missed thing in Reach. I guessed the first mission would be about fighting the Insurection and then the Covies would attack and change the game's tone completly. I was wrong, badly :/
EDIT this was before the first details of the first mission.

Speaking of which, is there a list of who's who in this thread? Would be interesting to see..

What do you mean who's who? IRL, gamertags?

Guys. MTW posted some screens of an unnamed vehicle (Promethean, looks chopper-ish) and a new map on his twitter!

phYi2.png

phYi2.png

Looks like it's down though, I'd give it a few minutes.

Woorloog

Banned
bandwidth exceeded for photobucket on imgur?

wat

Do you follow that "Pics that make you laugh" thread? Someone posted these two there, i think.
EDIT 2 also wondering how many will fall for those...

Woorloog, they were called the Rainforest Wars, versus the Friedens and Koslovics.

Thank you, i remembered "Rainbow Wars" and decide it couldn't be true... EDIT weren't the other factions practically neo-Nazis and neo-/Marxists/Stalinists/Leninist/Communists, respectively? EDIT, ie sort of interstellar version of WWII, with some changes.

GhaleonEB

So, Primordium. A bit of Cryptum in here as well.

There is an amazing story buried in these books.

A story of a Human-Forerunner war, and the humans are winning, right until the arrival and outbreak of The Flood. They fight the war on two fronts, and lose.

There's the political and literal battles between the Master Builder and the Didact - Halos and Shield Worlds - as Forerunner rulers debate the way to preserve the Mantle they have inherited.

Political intrigue, galactic warfare, enormous, dueling personalities and plans. A galaxy consuming organism, plans straddling preservation with total destruction, mysteries of the origin of life in the mix.

A trilogy about this saga could be truly incredible. But these books are not about this story. They are about a couple of fringe characters who periodically run into someone who knows about that story, and catches them up.

It's basically Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead, only without Hamlet ever having been written.

This describes both Cryptum and Primordium: A couple of characters go places because the voices in their head tell them to. They wander for a very long time, and then huge, mysterious things happen as ancient beings awaken or mingle for the first time in ages. Our characters are as confused as we are, until periodically someone catches them up to speed on what's going on.

Repeat.

Primordium is about 380 pages long, and I'm pretty sure nothing of interest happens on nearly 300 of them. Chakas wakes up, meets a couple of characters, and they start walking.

They walk for about a hundred pages, and then see a couple of interesting things in a ruined city. They walk for another eternity, and then run into a Monitor who catches them up on this amazing story they are missing because they are walking around a Halo ring. Then they run into the Didact, who further catches them up on what they've missed while they wandered around. Then something happens, and the book ends.

It was a really boring book, with incredibly uneven pacing. Important things are telegraphed in giant dumps of exposition, between huge swaths of nothing. There wasn't even any great world building to redeem the material this time around, as was the case with Cryptum.

I could go on - I really don't like the whole "everyone is doing what the voices in their head tell them" narrative conceit - but I'll call it good there.

I wish Primordium continued the narrative of Cryptum; something great happens at the end of that book and then this one ignores it completely. Not sure if I'll go on with book #3. There's a great story in there, but Bear for some reason don't want to actually tell it.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
No, actually, I did not know that. Someone who runs a website like that should know better than to call Halo "good humans versus big bad evil aliens".

Woorloog, they were called the Rainforest Wars, versus the Friedens and Koslovics.

Read what I said again.

It's easier to sell stories about the good guy humans killing the evil aliens.

I didn't call Halo anything.

You know.. I used to think you were Kevin Franklin back when I was lurking lol - Something you said one time used "we" when talking about 343, so I just associated that Charmander with him.

I am Kevin Franklin. And since you're the first one to solve the mystery, I'm gonna mail you a code to the Halo 4 beta.

Fracas

#fuckonami

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
So, Primordium. A bit of Cryptum in here as well.

I wish Primordium continued the narrative of Cryptum; something great happens at the end of that book and then this one ignores it completely. Not sure if I'll go on with book #3. There's a great story in there, but Bear for some reason don't want to actually tell it.

You had me in fits of laughter yesterday when you were describing this.

In Silentium, the third book, the author is going introduce yet another new character, who will carry the burden of informing the reader of the story from his outside perspective looking in.

I guess, depending on how much time this new character spends aimless travelling, and I'm guessing a lot, since the primary characters are physically far apart, will determine how much you'll get out of it.

On the bright side, you'll know the entire Halo 4 story by that point, so Silentium should be tying up a few loose ends here and there.

Top Bottom