• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT8| A Salt on the Control Room

Kuroyume

Banned
Played 11 Halo Reach games today. My first since last December. Almost positive there was a quitter in each match. Multiple quitters in most. Why does Waypoint's stats thing not mention DNF like Bungie's? I went positive in all but two of those matches with a completely busted controller that kept losing its signal with the console. lol

Nope, it doesn't.

It does, Its also entirely subjective. I think it looks great. You don't that's cool but the engine tweaks they made really make a difference. Phong lighting, FXAA and stuff are a big improvement.

VISR mode is entirely dependant on the person. I like using it its a neat change to the level.

Played 11 Halo Reach games today. My first since last December. Almost positive there was a quitter in each match. Multiple quitters in most. Why does Waypoint's stats thing not mention DNF like Bungie's? I went positive in all but two of those matches with a completely busted controller that kept losing its signal with the console. lol

Don't worry, Halo 4's drop-in, drop-out will surely fix the quitter problem

feel

No they should make an AA filter called 60fps where they reduce the textures and amount of detail and run the game in 60fps.
That's too groundbreaking for 343i. Here's another set of COD features instead.*

* desired COD features like Spectator mode not included

Seriously, is that guy pacing his BR shot?

WHAT IS GOING ON?!
ADAPTION
When they announce the new ranking system.... Oh man. Prep your pull-ups.
lol
I would have to assume it's the new CTF?
I'll assume we'll play CTF there. The only gametypes they have announced that haven't been playable are CTF, Oddball, and King.

tumblr_lsb25hlEPz1qmn1lqo1_500.gif
Probably won't do that. Probably.

Looks much better in motion.

wtfisthatshit

Magnum pls

So it's a remake of Countdown. Gross.

I did get a lot of grenade kills and a couple of sword kills. Guys get bunched up a lot on Adrift and it's easy to dump a nade in for the kill. I'm sure a BR would be good in some of the narrow spaces as well.

Adrift sounds like a spiritual successor...

Watched this video earlier

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QObbK2jgwW0&feature=g-u-u

Shows how Countdown is actually a really good Halo map that is totally besmirtched by the Shotgun, the Sword, Radar, default movement speed combined with Reach grenades.

Shadders

I really wish more was done about the disgusting messages people send on Live. I don't know if it's happened much in the US, but over here people are arrested and charged all the time for racist and other threatening language on Twitter, I don't see why XBL should be policed any differently.

I really wish more was done about the disgusting messages people send on Live. I don't know if it's happened much in the US, but over here people are arrested and charged all the time for racist and other threatening language on Twitter, I don't see why XBL should be policed any differently.

Arrested AND charged for things like that?? Damn.. More could be done as in taking away some of the anonymity associated with online gaming, but to involve the legal system?

No thank you.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun

I fear a world where someone can be arrested for simply being an asshole.

Woorloog

Banned

How often people who use XBL can be tracked and identified properly?
Somehow i doubt MS is willing spend resources for that, i don't think it is legally required anywhere. Is it?

That said, are random people using Twitter ever arrested or just celebrities and other known people?

EDIT as Alienshogun says... Not sure it is a good idea to investigate everything said in the internet closely. Big brother watching and all that.
EDIT and ultimately, arresting people for racists comments won't get rid of racism.

No matter how unpleasant a message sent over the internet can be I could never advocate incarcerating a person because of an XBL message (unless it was a personalised death threat where the perpetrator knew the recipient).

Shadders

I fear a world where someone can be arrested for simply being an asshole.

Why should anyone have to put up with being called a ni**er? People do it because they can, because there are no consequences, Microsoft don't give a shit so long as people keep coughing up their Live sub.

My wife got called a ni**er Tetris Splash! Tetris! She was really upset, she thought they could see her through the Kinect or something. I had to explain that people just call people ni**er on Xbox Live whether they're black or not.

She called Xbox Support to complain and they told her to leave feedback on the person through the dashboard. If that same person had called her a ni**er in the pub he'd have been charged, why should he be able to do it on Live?

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Why should anyone have to put up with being called a ni**er? People do it because they can, because there are no consequences, Microsoft don't give a shit so long as people keep coughing up their Live sub.

My wife got called a ni**er Tetris Splash! Tetris! She was really upset, she thought they could see her through the Kinect or something. I had to explain that people just call people ni**er on Xbox Live whether they're black or not.

She called Xbox Support to complain and they told her to leave feedback on the person through the dashboard. If that same person had called her a ni**er in the pub he'd have been charged, why should he be able to do it on Live?

Why should someone be incarcerated because they offended you or their ideals don't match yours.

People shouldn't be put in jail because they inconvenience you or offend you. That's just absurd and goes too far in respect to government intervention.

Because you cannot throw someone in jail for saying something that you find offensive in a free country. Any country where you can is no longer free, but a police state. It is the definition of free speech to be able to say things people find offensive, for if only inoffensive speech is protected, then what is the point?

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Why should someone be incarcerated because they offended you or their ideals don't match yours.

People shouldn't be put in jail because they inconvenience you or offend you. That's just absurd and goes too far in respect to government intervention.

The UK has pretty clear laws on hateful, racially abusive language.

Because you cannot throw someone in jail for saying something that you find offensive in a free country. Any country where you can is no longer free, but a police state. It is the definition of free speech to be able to say things people find offensive, for if only inoffensive speech is protected, then what is the point?

Yeah you can stop with all this free country bullshit. America isn't the only free and democratic country in the world and not all countries legally permit their citizens to racially abuse others without legal and civil consequence.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
The UK has pretty clear laws on hateful, racially abusive language.

I know, that's what we are talking about, and I don't agree with them, that's one reason I'm glad I don't live there, but that's beside the point.

What's "hate" today changes tomorrow and suddenly you find yourself on the losing end of the government telling you what you can and cannot say.

Regardless, I'll end this here. We are going WAY OT and I don't wanna end up in some political spat with people who I mostly enjoy chatting with.

Woorloog

Banned

Throwing people to jail for saying offensive things won't get rid of that problem anyway.
Though no one should have to put up with insults either.

EDIT Insults (especially racial, sexists etc) shouldn't be accepted in any way though.
EDIT need to look up what's the actual Finnish law concerning this stuff...

Shadders

So in America is it not illegal to call a black man a ni**er?

Crazy.

Anyways I'll end it here, this is far too heavy a topic of discussion for this late on a Saturday night.

Akai__

Xbox Live Support is a joke. Friend got a message, where the guy told him, he would beat him up and that he got his adress. He didn't believe him, but after 2 days, the guy, who threathend him, messaged him back with his adress and it was 100% accurate. He send an e-mail to XBL and they said something like: "Please use the feedback system, blah blah blah..." He also informed the police, but the guy was only like 14 years old.

tl;dr:

Xbox Live Support needs to get better...

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
I know, that's what we are talking about, and I don't agree with them, that's one reason I'm glad I don't live there, but that's beside the point.

What's "hate" today changes tomorrow and suddenly you find yourself on the losing end of the government telling you what you can and cannot say.

Regardless, I'll end this here. We are going WAY OT and I don't wanna end up in some political spat with people who I mostly enjoy chatting with.

America's own "government" has laws telling you what you can and cannot say.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun

Crazy.

Anyways I'll end it here, this is far too heavy a topic of discussion for this late on a Saturday night.

Last question.

If someone called me a "cracker" in the U.K would I be arrested? If someone called a person from Ireland a "limy" or potato eater would they be arrested? How "deep" is this law?

And no, you wouldn't be arrested for it, but you might get your ass whipped.

Also if the term was used preceding a violent offence or crime it could be moved into a "hate crime" status, but the word itself is not worthy of arrest/criminal process, no. As it should be.

Yes, but they aren't THIS intrusive. And defamation is a civil matter if I remember correctly. It's not cause to be jailed (typically). Thankfully the 1st amendment protects us from most BS.

Edit: Also, lying about people is a bit different than simply being an asshole and using "hate" speech.

And now I'll really stop.

Xbox Live Support is a joke. Friend got a message, where the guy told him, he would beat him up and that he got his adress. He didn't believe him, but after 2 days, the guy, who threathend him, messaged him back with his adress and it was 100% accurate. He send an e-mail to XBL and they said something like: "Please use the feedback system, blah blah blah..." He also informed the police, but the guy was only like 14 years old.

tl;dr:

Xbox Live Support team, you are talking about, are normal Xbox Live user...

It's shocking that people are going to jail for hateful Twitter messages. That is a borderline police state situation.

It's unpleasant for your wife to be insulted like that over Live but faceless messages without any personal framing (they don't know your wife, your wife doesn't know them, they don't even know what each other look like) are a world away from a real life confrontation in a pub.

tl;dr:

This sort of thing is more serious, in terms of criminal investigation.

Akai__

Xbox Live Support team, you are talking about, are normal Xbox Live user...

What are you trying to say? If they work for Xbox Live, they should have the ability to ban people.

Edit:
This sort of thing is more serious, in terms of criminal investigation.

Like I said, the guy was like 14 and you can't be charged at that age in germany. All you get is something like: "Don't do that again" and some angry parents.

Cool, thanks! That assassination 6 minutes in looks nice.. Also, while functional similar to AL, the HLS never stopped combat and actually kept that battle flowing. I like.

Same. At first I thought of that HLS encounter in the same light as Armor Lock, but what's going on is different because you can dance around to juke the HLS user and still kill them.

HLS dance babayyyy

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger

Crazy.

If Microsoft doesn't care about it's users committing a crime, as defined by UK law, on their Live service even after you have reported it, feel free to contact the police about it.

http://www.met.police.uk/links/index.htm#uk

The police will be more than happy to investigate and will certainly do more than ask you to leave a happy or sad face on the user's profile.

Meh, I personally feel like complaining about name calling is as childish as name calling.
Especially over the internet where you can easily ignore/mute/block the person and never have to hear from them again.

72 days.

Woorloog

Banned
What are you trying to say? If they work for Xbox Live, they should have the ability to ban people.

They don't exactly... Isn't the support team just volunteers helping with troubleshoot etc?

Meh, I personally feel like complaining about name calling is as childish as name calling.
Especially over the internet where you can easily ignore/mute/block the person and never have to hear from them again.

Name calling shouldn't be acceptable at all in the first place though.

Cool, thanks! That assassination 6 minutes in looks nice.. Also, while functionally similar to AL, the HLS never stopped combat and actually kept that battle flowing. I like.

Same. At first I thought of that HLS encounter in the same light as Armor Lock, but what's going on is different because you can dance around to juke the HLS user and still kill them.

HLS dance babayyyy

I noticed that too. What also makes it really interesting is the capacity to actually move while holding the shield; surprisingly, I've noticed people going towards action with it up rather than activating it and fleeing like most people are worried about. Must be a mix of having your shields able to recharge and forward being the only direction the shield protects you.

Crazy.

Nope, guy will most likely get his ass beat though. The First Amendment of our constitution grants freedom of speech; that's also freedom to speak like a racist bigot.

Affording too much power to the government over the lives of citizens can be catastrophic; throwing bigots in jail doesn't stop the problem, and what happens when the government decides the views you hold are grounds for incarceration? It seems to be starting with classifying people as terrorists, it's a slippery slope.

No governing method will ever be perfect so please, stop with the "we do it better" stuff. And with that, this thread has seen enough wildly off-topic discussion today. Let's get back to bitching about exclusive armor.

Top Bottom