• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT8| A Salt on the Control Room

So when is Pax? Im pretty curious about that new map and gametype. Will the new goodies be playable at Eurogamer?

If the new goodies are Grifball like people here mentioned, then pls dont make it playable at Eurogamer :p

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Where's eazyb's list when you need it..

GAF Name - Gamertag - ?
GhaleonEB - GhaleonEB - Thread king, too nice for the internet. Ancient.
Louis Wu - It's not TV. It's HBO
Vociferous - Mr Vociferous - Halo scholar extraordinaire
Coco. P. Jojo - Cocopjojo - Yearns to be Voc; maybe next time Huckleberry Fin
OuterWorldVoice - AR NO SCOPE - Halo's Bobby Kotick, franchise overseer
Captain Blood - TJ Capt Blood - Pack of smokes, bowl of GG, epic mount; good to go
Ramirez - TJ Ram - The Don Quixote of Halo. Used to be good but doesn't play anymore
Trasher - TJ Trasher - The Susan Boyle of HaloGAF
Thermite - Thermight - Friggin' id-eee-ought can't decide how to spell his name
Domino Theory - Oml3t - Halo 4 by Bungie
Nutter - NutterB - Doesn't know how to play anything other than Halo
Voltron64 - Voltron64 - The real Voltron. Fucking tired of this shit (Halo)
Vhfive - vhfive - Coordinator of Customs, Forger, and donger of KevinRo
Merguson - Merguson - shy
Botolf - May not play Halo but redeems himself by posting funny things in the thread. Had reconstructive surgery to look like Gabe Newell
Kibbles - xI Ace xI - HaloGAF newscaster, serving them hot scoops
Self Induced - Self Induced - Don't let him drive/rocket while he's high and that's all the time
Blueblur1 - Total Sacrifice - Been on both sides of crazy. Easily disturbed
Striker - Striker029 - No obvious evils but puts up with MasterFox so there must be something wrong with him
A Penguin - Two Penguins - Vhfive's cheerleader/sidekick
Falagard - Falagard - "I'm a genius, aren't I so smart guys!"
Sir Fragula - Sir Fragula - Thinks he knows a lot because he's a Bnet mod. You can tell from his avatar he's cultured
Stormtrooper30 - Stormtrooper30 - "Why isn't Halo 3 Halo 2?!" *devolves into a pathetic blubbering mess*
neoism - ne0ism
Dani - Slightly Live - breaks his 360 so he doesn't have to get donged on in Halo
Revengence - HouseofOrange - Constantly overshadowed by his brother Vh
LunaticPuma - LunaticPuma - absolutely nothing remarkable to say
Grimm Fandango - GrimmJob - Still can't learn how to use a BR
Shake Appeal - Shake Appeal - English bloke who wants Urk to play with him
SailorDaravon - Mr Daravon - needs to get over Urk. He's moved on, why can't you?
Smokey - dboythaGr8 - manages to play FFA
t4ngo - t4ng0 - here's what I know: plays Halo every now and then, has a brother
Sai - SaiST - Uhh... he has a deep voice and doesn't talk much?
Willeth - Willeth - Our PAF spy
backflip10019 - backflip10019 - Uses the thread as his personal shitter
Nokyard - runNOKYARDrun - Grifball guy
Devin Olsen - DevinOlsenn - The Devin Olsen! *psst* I don't know who he is either.
Butane123 - Butane123 - stick to forge because you can't play Halo
Zeouterlimits - Zeouterlimits - the one person looking forward to anime Halo
GM Bullfrog - NEC Bullfrog
Shafto - Crafty Shafto - English fellow
DualX - DualX
Metroidvania - Metroidvania - Tall and awkward... METROWNED
Fin - Finjitzu - The keeper of the HaloGAF tag, player of all games other than Halo
Tashi0106 - NYSTOFMIND23 - plays MLG and
FourDoor - FourDoor
ShinAnamo - ShinAmano
Jironimo - Jironmo - Aye Jay!
StUnNeR H2K - StUnNeR H2K
Spudbud - SpudxBud - To avoid sucking at Halo he plays other games but sucks at those as well
Spasm - Spasm
Soldat7 - cherdman
Sai-kun - Sai kun - Guaranteed to have a crush on multiple members of HaloGAF
Laughtrey - Laughtrey - doesn't play but chips in ever now and then
CrazedArabMan - CrazedArabMan - desires physical relations with Trasher
Bladed Expert - BladedExpert - racist by association
BackedPigeon - II TR4NCE II
Alivor - Alivor
Timan - Timan25
Sean - Shadow540
TheSeks - wants to play custom but doesn't reveal his GT
Eric WK - Eric WK - hasn't played in months
Ajemsuhgao - Ajemsuhga0 - Secretly a member of Halo GAF
NH Apache - NH Apache
DcLevartho - Levartho
Ace 8095 - Ace 8095
Azar - Azar42
goldenpp72 - goldenpp72
Ssparks - LaszIo - Junior
Squidhands squidhands - junior
Numbers - Rampant Numbers -
Flipyap - Flipyap Yapflip - Nerd junior
SquallASF - Junior.
lazytonberry - lazytonberry - BR Junior
Letters - Acronos Seven - Junior. Some sort of fascination with Numbers... the person
DiabolicalBagel - DiabolicalBagel - BR Junior
FooFighter - Will J D - BR Junior
Plywood - ICSI Reaver - BR Junior. failed squad battle commander
minasodaboy - minasodaboy - BR Junior
pet - ICS Pet - Junior
MagniHarvald - SAE Magni - BR Junior
Neverender - Moosetwik - BR Junior
user_nat - nanaw - Junior
Reluctant-Hero - Reluctant Hero - Junior
Tintin - Fyrh - Junior
Fistula - Doctor Drugs - Junior
barcafc - FC Barca FTW - Junior with a stupid gamertag
BlindSwordsmanZ - pontifex PRIME - Junior
LosDaddie - Junior
enzo_gt - arvinater - Laser Junior
Niblet - Unsavory Niblet - Junior
kamikazemartian - kamikazemartian - Junior
Schmitty07 - Schmitty07 - Junior
Biscuits - Hunchbiscuit - Junior. "Too good for Flight"
Stackboy - Stackboy Royale - Junior
enewtabie - ENEWTABIE - Junior
georgc - georgc - Junior
Miguelangelo - DaftPunk35 - Junior
big ander - big ander - Junior
Huttie0 - Urafaerie - AR/worthless Junior.
KevinRo - KevinRo - "Oh I'm so mad at Bungie!!!" - guy that could use some of Dax01's Ritalin
Silly.Mikey - SillyMikey
Oozer - Oozer3993
Havok - Havok CXVII
Alisdair - Dr Alisdair
Spirit - TheVeilrae
Juices - SometimesImEpic - The playlist equivalent to penis envy, "I wish I was shishka"
Insaniac - TheLintendo - Made a Foundry map and got recon for it, hasn't done anything noteworthy since
The Lamonster - The Lamonster
DeputyMoonman - XxDeputyMoonman
Exfixate - exfixate
kylej - jelyk - has nothing better to do than play the shit out a game he thinks is shit, then complain about it
Dax - DaxO1 - The cool Dax
Dax01 - Dax01 - Wants to be Ghaleon but lost his Ritalin at summer camp. Dedicated: touched Bungie's knob and hasn't washed his hand since

GhaleonEB

You had me in fits of laughter yesterday when you were describing this.

In Silentium, the third book, the author is going introduce yet another new character, who will carry the burden of informing the reader of the story from his outside perspective looking in.

I guess, depending on how much time this new character spends aimless travelling, and I'm guessing a lot, since the primary characters are physically far apart, will determine how much you'll get out of it.

On the bright side, you'll know the entire Halo 4 story by that point, so Silentium should be tying up a few loose ends here and there.

I did go on a wee bit of rant the other night. I'd finished the book a week ago and was simmering on my response to it, and that was when I boiled over. :lol

Is the bold confirmed? Another new perspective? The series really could have used a stronger central narrative.

heckfu

Banned
So when is Pax? Im pretty curious about that new map and gametype. Will the new goodies be playable at Eurogamer?

If the new goodies are Grifball like people here mentioned, then pls dont make it playable at Eurogamer :p
Starts Thursday! Thinking of starting a tumblr to live blog the happenings of the weekend with other members thoughts and impressions as well to keep them all in one place for easy access since so many are attending.

Also to post embarrassing pictures. Naturally.

dmg04

#DEADWRONG
Starts Thursday! Thinking of starting a tumblr to live blog the happenings of the weekend with other members thoughts and impressions as well to keep them all in one place for easy access since so many are attending.

You going?
Might bump into you.

I did go on a wee bit of rant the other night. I'd finished the book a week ago and was simmering on my response to it, and that was when I boiled over. :lol

Is the bold confirmed? Another new perspective? The series really could have used a stronger central narrative.

The thing to do when reading Cryptum and Primordium is just to skip to the last fifty pages. You won't miss anything.

Halo just won't go there. It's easier to sell stories about the good guy humans killing the evil aliens. OK, so I'm being a tad bit salty. Glasslands was a step in the right direction but something tells me Humanity will be one big happy family come Halo 4.

Sadly true.

Halo 2's script sort of went away from this a bit, not totally, but they explored it with the Covenant not really being the "evil alien", but more misguided by a crazy religious political setup, which of course was more interesting than anything else told in the Halo universe, but sadly sprinted away from that with Halo 3's script at full speed.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger

Confirmed by the author himself on his official site.

Makes me laugh but the FB list is more up to date.

Post it.

So its 72 days till Halo 4. Who is planning on Replaying Reach/CE:A/Halo 2/ODST/Halo 3 before launch and how soon are we doing it.

GAF replays Halo? Picture Stories Posts and stuff?

Flipyap

So, Primordium. A bit of Cryptum in here as well.

[...]
They walk for about a hundred pages, and then see a couple of interesting things in a ruined city. They walk for another eternity, and then run into a Monitor who catches them up on this amazing story they are missing because they are walking around a Halo ring. Then they run into the Didact, who further catches them up on what they've missed while they wandered around. Then something happens, and the book ends.
[...]
Now that's just not being fair, you've completely omitted some significant events. They don't just walk around, they also
eat a lot of bugs

I wish Primordium continued the narrative of Cryptum; something great happens at the end of that book and then this one ignores it completely. Not sure if I'll go on with book #3. There's a great story in there, but Bear for some reason don't want to actually tell it.
I think my favorite part was how the last page of Cryptum teased a massive revelation, but then it took Primordium almost all of its pointless length to go "Nah, I'm just bullshitting you. Let's get rid of this plot point, it was silly anyway."

So its 72 days till Halo 4. Who is planning on Replaying Reach/CE:A/Halo 2/ODST/Halo 3 before launch and how soon are we doing it.

Yeah, people do those kinds of threads quite often.
Not for me, would just burn out if I did that, would likely damage my enjoyment of Halo 4.

I wouldn't mind doing a "Best Of" though, where I play a single level in each. That'd be as much as I'd do.
Oh I think it still has great potential! Maybe the third will be just jam packed of action and intrigue.
But that wouldn't necessarily save the trilogy, merely separate itself from the other two.

That would be very cool, it would be great to have something that all the HaloGAFers there could post in a spot for others to see.

All of my posts will be about what food crumbs are currently in Heckfu's beard.

Umm, if there was an FB list it would have peoples real names on it. Not sure how many would want it posted.

"scared of bikes"

Hence why i'm not posting it.

HaloGAF.net needs a list making with a combination of both the FB list and EazyB's list. It has a Straight GT=User list but that's much more "boring"

Woorloog

Banned

I'll probably play only Halo 3, Legendary.

Eh, Waypoint doesn't have Halo 3 fileshares up, right? Otherwise i could take pics from my playthrough and make a sort of journal.

Was it Primordium or Cryptum that had
Guilty Spark hijack the UNSC ship
? (probably should be spoiler tagged but I'm technologically illiterate and have no idea how)

Primordium
. Tags are
[/spoiler.] without the dot
EDIT also for strike, [/strike.]

Happy to help

We've already seen one, but 343 has said that Haven and Adrift are the "small" maps in the game, so I would assume that a more significant portion of the maps in the game will be in BTB than in past games.

Longbow is more of a mid-large sized map. Didn't Frankie say there would be a bigger emphasis on big maps and vehicle play this time? I want to see something on the scale of or bigger than Sandtrap.

You had me in fits of laughter yesterday when you were describing this.

In Silentium, the third book, the author is going introduce yet another new character, who will carry the burden of informing the reader of the story from his outside perspective looking in.

I guess, depending on how much time this new character spends aimless travelling, and I'm guessing a lot, since the primary characters are physically far apart, will determine how much you'll get out of it.

On the bright side, you'll know the entire Halo 4 story by that point, so Silentium should be tying up a few loose ends here and there.

Shit, really?

I liked the Forerunner trilogy, but I haven't been following its development much. Not a fan of the constantly changing POV's, but whatever. The books have been good so far, so I'll continue reading.

I'm a bigger fan of Karen Traviss' trilogy though. Glasslands > Primordium, IMO.

I wonder if she's going to bring back Grey Team at all. That'd be nice.

Woorloog

Banned
Longbow is more of a mid sized map. Didn't Frankie say there would be a bigger emphasis on big maps and vehicle play this time? I want to see something on the scale of or bigger than Sandtrap.

Anything bigger than Sandtrap won't work well, i think. Even with TPs and man cannons.
At least they won't be so action intensive.

Pretty sure Longbow is a BTB map though.

Me, i hope there are maps that have vehicles but work for 4v4-5v5, Reach didn't have any such.

EDIT They didn't confirm they have a remake in Halo 4, did they? Didn't 343i deny remakes earlier this year?

Anything bigger than Sandtrap won't work well, i think. Even with TPs and man cannons.
At least they won't be so action intensive.

Pretty sure Longbow is a BTB map though.

Me, i hope there are maps that have vehicles but work for 4v4-5v5, Reach didn't have any such.

EDIT They didn't confirm they have a remake in Halo 4, did they? Didn't 343i deny remakes earlier this year?

8v8 works on longbow but it is better suited to 6v6, like a lot of "BTB" maps in Halo. Honestly with the speed of Halo 4 they could probably make a map bigger than Sandtrap without it being a problem. It might need some more cover but it would work.

Also Tempest works pretty well for 4v4, 5v5, and 6v6. just sayin.

As for remakes some one said they did but the quote was very different. They said Halo typically ships with remakes and it wouldn't be a stretch to assume Halo 4 might come with one. This was at RTX I believe.

Woorloog

Banned
8v8 works on longbow but it is better suited to 6v6, like a lot of "BTB" maps in Halo. Honestly with the speed of Halo 4 they could probably make a map bigger than Sandtrap without it being a problem. It might need some more cover but it would work.

Also Tempest works pretty well for 4v4, 5v5, and 6v6. just sayin.

Oh, yeah, forgot Tempest. One of my favorite maps in Reach... EDIT of course it would be nice to get to play on that map somewhere that is not Multi Team (seriously, i can't remember the last time i played it elsewhere...).

Halo 4 base speed is around Halo 3's, no? At least that was used as benchmark. So i'm not sure much bigger maps would work... slightly bigger ones maybe?

Of course there are many things that affect how well a map works... Sandtrap had too much space for vehicles, too much empty space overall and weak infantry routes EDIT and now i forget it was made the Elephants in mind...

Fixed.

Edit: I would guess at a Blood Gulch remake, if there is one. It's traditional.

Ha.

Well I guess if I had to rank them it would be:

Fall of Reach
Ghosts of Onyx
First Strike
Evolutions
Cole Protocol
Glasslands
Cryptum
Contact Harvest
Primordium
The Flood

And as for a remake map, I'd guess Lockout. There wasn't one in Reach, so they'll probably bring it back for Halo 4. The other classics, like Battle Creek and Blood Gulch, were already brought back so they can and will probably wait longer for those. Not sure what other big ones are worth coming in on disc.

I don't see it being any of those.

First Halo game without a Canyon map would be interesting. Its almost a series staple at this point

Lockout is loved by pretty much the entire community collective.

Sidewinder is just a personal hope but i can see it fitting well.

The rest either don't support AA's well or are mediocre. Lockout dose not support AA's well but its such a liked map that I feel the chances are stronger.

Woorloog

Banned
The rest either don't support AA's well or are mediocre. Lockout dose not support AA's well but its such a liked map that I feel the chances are stronger.

Wouldn't a slightly larger map, say Blackout, support AAs better?
OTOH, Reflection was slightly larger than Ivory Tower and ended up being pretty bad... though not quite sure what made it so bad.

EDIT actually, nevermind. Lockouts flow doesn't support AAs, right? Size has nothing to with this...

and Infection.

Never get people to vote it...

Don't forget that Halo 4 has sprint.
Sandtrap worked pretty well for infantry, it just needs some more cover or something.

Hmm true... but it doesn't mean maps need to be expanded, small maps simply become faster with sprint (assuming no easy retreat with sprint as well).

OTOH, Reflection was slightly larger than Ivory Tower and ended up being pretty bad... though not quite sure what made it so bad.

Reflection is great in Reach.

For SWAT and Infection.

Otherwise it blows, yeah. I still like it though and would love to see it make a comeback in the future.

First Halo game without a Canyon map would be interesting. Its almost a series staple at this point

Lockout is loved by pretty much the entire community collective.

Sidewinder is just a personal hope but i can see it fitting well.

Well I think Blood Gulch might take a back seat for awhile because of the backlash of Hemorrhage. We might get a new Canyon map or a Valhalla remake, but I doubt the latter.

I love Lockout too, but I think AAs destroy it's chances, it could just be remade in forge anyways.

Sidewinder would probably fit pretty well.

Oh, yeah, forgot Tempest. One of my favorite maps in Reach... EDIT of course it would be nice to get to play on that map somewhere that is not Multi Team (seriously, i can't remember the last time i played it elsewhere...).

Halo 4 base speed is around Halo 3's, no? At least that was used as benchmark. So i'm not sure much bigger maps would work... slightly bigger ones maybe?

Of course there are many things that affect how well a map works... Sandtrap had too much space for vehicles, too much empty space overall and weak infantry routes.

Don't forget that Halo 4 has sprint.
Sandtrap worked pretty well for infantry, it just needs some more cover or something.

dmg04

#DEADWRONG
What was that methane factory in H2?

that map should be remade.

Yes, Colossus. Thanks Woorloog.

I dunno why, but with the return of the BR and the cool 343 art style for forerunners, i think that map would look and play great.

EDIT actually, nevermind. Lockouts flow doesn't support AAs, right? Size has nothing to with this...

Its both, The flow of maps like Lockout would be broken with even Sprint but Jetpack is a major issue.

The thing was back in the H2 days Skill was more than just how you could aim and strafe it was how you could move and control a map. That Elbow to Snipe 2 jump on lockout for example moves that would screw with bad players minds if you did them. More and more elements like this have been pushed out of Halo.

Size is also a concern but that's fixed easier just by making the map bigger in area's (which would be harmful)

Colossus ? Ew

Woorloog

Banned

Colossus?

Its both, The flow of maps like Lockout would be broken with even Sprint but Jetpack is a major issue.

The thing was back in the H2 days Skill was more than just how you could aim and strafe it was how you could move and control a map. That Elbow to Snipe 2 jump on lockout for example moves that would screw with bad players minds if you did them. More and more elements like this have been pushed out of Halo.

Size is also a concern but that's fixed easier just by making the map bigger in area's (which would be harmful)

I see.

As I recall, Jetpack was/is the worst offender on Reflection. Also, of course, anytime you have lifts & elevators + Shotgun & Sword, bad things tend to happen.

Overall it never felt like Ivory Tower to me... It just felt wrong, no matter the game type.
Jetpack breaks everything really.

Never get people to vote it...

As I recall, Jetpack was/is the worst offender on Reflection. Also, of course, anytime you have lifts & elevators + Shotgun & Sword, bad things tend to happen.

Top Bottom