• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT8| A Salt on the Control Room

hired noobs aren't you from gamefaqs or ign or some other board for 12 year olds. Maybe go back there if Halogaf bothers you so much.
There are lots of intelligent and engaging posters here that contribute to interesting conversation. I wish you guys could be counted among them. Evolve.

There are lots of intelligent and engaging posters here that contribute to interesting conversation. I wish you guys could be counted among them. Evolve.

What do you add man? You're entire wheelhouse of posts involve Praising Original Pre-TU Reach and talking about how you've read so much about Trueskill and how great it is.

No offense but it gets older than my stuff.

Trueskill is too loose if its even active in Social playlists. Arena doesn't offer much of a challenge either. We need the tigther ranked playlists. Thats all.

Tawpgun

Yeah, its anecdotal evidence, but in ranked Halo 3, as a brigadier, I was being matched with Colonels, Brigs, and at times generals.

In Halo Reach Arena, I get matched up with people around the same skill.

Truth be told, the answer is probably because competetive people who try harder to win games reside in these playlists, so I get matched up. But if that really is the reason, then Halo 4 ranked something would have that same effect.

Difference between Halo Reach and 3 is that no one gives a shit about Arena in Reach.

For new page

kylej

Banned
hired noobs there is not a person in the world who cares about whether you think they're a good video game forum poster or not. I'm more interested in what a tree branch thinks of my internet posting than you. skip past certain posts or put people on ignore if things bother you that much.

hired noobs there is not a person in the world who cares about whether you think they're a good video game forum poster or not. I'm more interested in what a tree branch thinks of my internet posting than you. skip past certain posts or put people on ignore if things bother you that much.
I have a better idea. How about when people post stupid shit I explain to them why it's stupid. I think I'll stick with that.

Let's remember that this current conversation sprung from someone who LITERALLY thinks Trueskill doesn't exist.

Fracas

#fuckonami
this_is_neogaf.gif

I still have an active editor account on Examiner. I can rustle up some huge "news" for Halo 4 if you want.

It'd be entertaining at least.

G17

After having played Halo 4 E3 Build at Fan Expo.. is it just me or are the grenades even weaker than in Halo 3? Many times with a grenade in damage range for halo3/reach I never had damage done to my shield. (not sure if a glitch or grenades have less range) With indicator, jump/movement, and thruster pack, grenades aren't used much. (A good thing in my opinion) Thruster pack really is the go to armour ability I find especially on close quarters maps like Haven.. it can change the tide of a battle quickly.

Really digging the multiplayer. It'll be interesting to see the PAX build and what kind of effects the new build additions like the SAW, Rail Gun, and other weapons have.

This is the only logical conclusion of Zoojoogate. Now everyone with a high post count is now liable for criticism for not adding enough to the conversation, or in juices case, not bitching enough about the things he likes to bitch about.

Kibbles

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
The numbered ranks had everything to do with perceived value. Simply having that number next to a persons GT gave them a reason to want to keep playing and climbing the ranks, this in turn made Halo 3's system more effective in giving players more competitive matches. Of course anyone can wave the statement off as anecdotal but I'm sure many others always felt there was more at stake in Ranked H3 and in turn played harder.

Which is the main issue here, most people don't play competitively in Reach and those that do infrequently get matched up.
I have a better idea. How about when people post stupid shit I explain to them why it's stupid. I think I'll stick with that.
You didn't explain to him anything you just accused him of trolling and wrote off his post as "insufferable idiocy."

Blissful

Neo Member

Let's remember that this current conversation sprung from someone who LITERALLY thinks Trueskill doesn't exist.

If you are referring to me, I pretty much don't see it in Halo Reach. I am not the only player in here that knows that Halo Reach playlists are pretty much the Social Playlist of Halo 3. If Trueskill is present, then its being implemented poorly.

I have played enough to know that. You can't feed me this invisible true skill implementation bullshit lol.

JackHerer

After having played Halo 4 E3 Build at Fan Expo.. is it just me or are the grenades even weaker than in Halo 3? Many times with a grenade in damage range for halo3/reach I never had damage done to my shield. (not sure if a glitch or grenades have less range) With indicator, jump/movement, and thruster pack, grenades aren't used much. (A good thing in my opinion) Thruster pack really is the go to armour ability I find especially on close quarters maps like Haven.. it can change the tide of a battle quickly.

Really digging the multiplayer. It'll be interesting to see the PAX build and what kind of effects the new build additions like the SAW, Rail Gun, and other weapons have.

Really? I have the opposite experience in Reach. I often get hurt or killed by grenades that seem unreasonably far away. I have not played Halo 4 and cannot comment on it's grenades but I find that H3 and Reach have very different grenades from each other.

Reach nades seems to have a larger blast radius AND more potential damage but this is also partly due to (or exacerbated by) the slower movement speed and lower jump height. H3 has those high and floaty jumps that make it easier to avoid at least some of the grenade damage.

Movement speed is definitely a big part of it though as grenades are definitely not as OP in Reach MLG as they are with default movement speed game types.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Another issue with Reach's system is that there is no real punishment for losing, if you quit, you don't lose anything. If you stay and lose well you still get your credits. There are no stakes at hand, it's just play or don't play, win or don't win. In which case they should just turn off matchmaking and put up a custom games browser.

I'm tempted, but I played a bit of Reach earlier, and I played like total shit.

Will watch though.
It would be cool if we could stream the last tournament game, or at least post it to YouTube. It should be good.

You didn't explain to him anything you just accused him of trolling and wrote off his post as "insufferable idiocy."
Yeah, I thought about that. Sorry Juices, I'll give a proper reply when I get on a proper keyboard.

In past days, HaloGAF was a peaceful community. Opinions were discussed and arguments were intelligent; our questions were answered. All was good and fun was had.

But everything changed when the Cleanser appeared.

His ways controversial, he introduced us to the concept of salt. Harmless on its own, in concentration it could prove lethal to the Reservoir, an engine maintaining all HaloGAF spaces in past and present. A fragile machine, but nonetheless it served as the lifeblood of our community.

The Cleanser eventually revealed his true nature, leading an assault on the Reservoir's primary control room, threatening to destroy the Halo 3 OT itself... and he succeeded. It was deleted without a trace. The Cleanser was banned for his crimes.

HaloGAF entered a dark state. Countless numbers were banned, with innocents not exempt. Junior waves were no longer a promising event, instead becoming nightmares, seeing whom could brave the salt to try and join our ranks. A lone Junior eventually surfaced with promises of happiness and benefit...

His existence unified HaloGAF in hatred. His banning swift and concise, the salt produced by his detractors proved to be critically damaging to the remnants of the community.

We are here today, engaged in yet another Civil War, brother against brother, son against son. Even as we post, a veteran member is being held trial for being unable to salvage the community's good standing.

But he may very well be our next Cleanser.

This is all going to be part of the HaloGAF video that's being developed.

Fracas

#fuckonami
It would be cool if we could stream the last tournament game, or at least post it to YouTube. It should be good.
I'd be glad at this point if the last match would just get played.

Apparently matches just cannot get played unless I'm there practically forcing them.

Computron

Heh, that reminds me I made this back in May - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzQpsMdWtvk&fmt=HD with similar settings. I had a widescreen FOV but just so it looked normal, not super wide and added RSMB as well.

Did you record at 60 FPS when you were capturing that video?
Interestingly, Halo on PC will not interpolate most animations past 30FPS even if your game is rendering at 60+.
It seems to me like the Character animations are not being blurred the same as camera movement in your video

After playing around with RSMB this evening, I can see it has a lot of flaws and artifacts.
Open Sauce, which is what is used in the video I linked to, does the motion blur inside of the game with a pixel shader rather than a completely separate post process, so it can avoid certain artifacts that are present in RSMB, and has a few of its own.

Another issue with Reach's system is that there is no real punishment for losing, if you quit, you don't lose anything. If you stay and lose well you still get your credits. There are no stakes at hand, it's just play or don't play, win or don't win. In which case they should just turn off matchmaking and put up a custom games browser.

exactly. at least in halo 3 social, you lost 1 exp point for quiting, gained nothing for losing and got 1 for winning. they also gave you a rank depending on how much you won. sure it meant nothing but it was something to play for

Blissful

Neo Member

Exactly, no incentive to win.

I hope Halo 4 doesn't take the same stupid approach. 343 needs to crawl out of their casual gaming cave and start to focus on how to make Halo 4 a fun and competitive game.

feel

Wait someone is arguing in favor of truskills's existence? I can boot the game and get matched against a pro in MLG within 3 games.

G17

Really? I have the opposite experience in Reach. I often get hurt or killed by grenades that seem unreasonably far away. I have not played Halo 4 and cannot comment on it's grenades but I find that H3 and Reach have very different grenades from each other.

Reach nades seems to have a larger blast radius AND more potential damage but this is also partly due to (or exacerbated by) the slower movement speed and lower jump height. H3 has those high and floaty jumps that make it easier to avoid at least some of the grenade damage.

Movement speed is definitely a big part of it though as grenades are definitely not as OP in Reach MLG as they are with default movement speed game types.

I meant grenades at a range that would have damaged me in Halo 3/Reach did not damage me in Halo 4.

I don't know about Halo 3, but the blast radius is dramatically reduced when compared to Reach.

I'm glad you like thruster pack, it is my favorite and for a while I was literally the only one using it. All those PV try-hards.

Ask Domino, he would get me down to one shot and I would thrust behind some geometry or try and juke him and get the last shot.

IIRC, he even commented on "that damn thruster user" after the match!

FyreWulff

Hmm, I wasn't expecting there to be such a thing as the out-of-map-timer defence force.

I really do not see how it adds to the game, thinking of the more open environments in H3... except in so far as it makes the job easier for designers and gives them time to concentrate on other things.

Edit: But then, you want to remove Team Objective, so I clearly have nothing in common with you at all!

There isn't an out of map timer defense force. There's reasons for why they exist, why invisible walls exists, and why sometimes you use "everything in a canyon" instead. dmiller went into it more on HBO, but they have to avoid a problem called the soft crash where a player gets stuck with no recourse but the game doesn't end.

I prefer the setups that dmiller did where the level had the normal softkills/invisiwalls/canyon and then had the secret buttons that let you escape into the skybox. In fact, letting players go any-the-fuck-where actually forces artists to spend MORE time on that level instead of other things, so they can make sure wherever you stand doesn't let you see out of the modeled level.

Hence why I said every level would end up a canyon, because they have to stop you at SOME point, so if you don't like softkills or invisible walls, the next option is to have real walls. Which makes the level a canyon.

Also, I didn't say to remove Objective completely. I said to make it a special playlist like the DEXPs, but on a weekly basis.

Kibbles

Did you record at 60 FPS when you were capturing that video?
Interestingly, Halo on PC will not interpolate most animations past 30FPS even if your game is rendering at 60+.
It seems to me like the Character animations are not being blurred the same as camera movement in your video

After playing around with RSMB this evening, I can see it has a lot of flaws and artifacts.
Open Sauce, which is what is used in the video I linked to, does the motion blur inside of the game with a pixel shader rather than a completely separate post process, so it can avoid certain artifacts that are present in RSMB, and has a few of its own.

I can't remember. But that was done in-game? I got to check out this open-sauce. :eek:

If you are referring to me, I pretty much don't see it in Halo Reach. I am not the only player in here that knows that Halo Reach playlists are pretty much the Social Playlist of Halo 3. If TrueSkill is present, then its being implemented poorly.

I have played enough to know that. You can't feed me this invisible true skill implementation bullshit lol.
Wait, what?

You do realize these two statements essentially produce a contradiction? All Halo 3 playlists used TrueSkill in sorting and matching by player skill, both ranked and social. You're saying Reach's playlists are like Halo 3 social lists, which had looser restrictions relative to the ranked playlists.

Also, Halo 3's ranked lists didn't show your TrueSkill value, at least not initially, and afterwards not completely: TrueSkill puts all players in the middle, and then moves them up or down based on wins and losses. There are two distinct values in each player's TrueSkill, their skill value and the system's certainty value of that skill. It's all founded in mathematical statistics.

Nobody gives a fuck the game has TrueSkill. TrueSkill sucks. We need ranked playlists...
Actually, TrueSkill doesn't suck. At all. And no one here has ever posted anything plausible to show that it is deficient in any respect.

Yet you assert that it is deficient. To the point that it "sucks". Then you assert that we need ranked playlists. So, how will we rank players in these playlists? Using ELO, which is fundamentally similar to TrueSkill, but was determined to be less suitable by Microsoft (and Bungie) for Halo matchmaking?

TrueSkill is not the mechanism by which players are assembled into matches. It is entirely up to the developer to implement the matching algorithms, and to what degree they employ TrueSkill. It is purely a skill ranking system.

If you think Reach's matchmaking sucks, then say that. Just know that it doesn't suck because of TrueSkill.

Sincerely,

TrueSkill Defense Force

Blissful

Neo Member
Wait, what?

You do realize these two statements essentially produce a contradiction? All Halo 3 playlists used TrueSkill in sorting and matching by player skill, both ranked and social. You're saying Reach's playlists are like Halo 3 social lists, which had looser restrictions relative to the ranked playlists.

Also, Halo 3's ranked lists didn't show your TrueSkill value, at least not initially, and afterwards not completely: TrueSkill puts all players in the middle, and then moves them up or down based on wins and losses. There are two distinct values in each player's TrueSkill, their skill value and the system's certainty value of that skill. It's all founded in mathematical statistics.

Actually, TrueSkill doesn't suck. At all. And no one here has ever posted anything plausible to show that it is deficient in any respect.

Yet you assert that it is deficient. To the point that it "sucks". Then you assert that we need ranked playlists. So, how will we rank players in these playlists? Using ELO, which is fundamentally similar to TrueSkill, but was determined to be less suitable by Microsoft (and Bungie) for Halo matchmaking?

TrueSkill is not the mechanism by which players are assembled into matches. It is entirely up to the developer to implement the matching algorithms, and to what degree they employ TrueSkill. It is purely a skill ranking system.

If you think Reach's matchmaking sucks, then say that. Just know that it doesn't suck because of TrueSkill.

Sincerely,

TrueSkill Defense Force

You shouldn't classify yourself as a part of the TrueSkill Defence Force when you are pretty much making assumptions. Halo 3's social playlist has the same effect as most of Halo Reach's playlists except for Arena.

In Halo 3's social playlist, I get matched up with anyone pretty much, it could be players with new accounts, players with a very poor w/l ratio, and good players. In the Ranked playlist though, I get matched up with good players who I could confidently say are on my level of competitive gameplay.

You need to do your research and actually play the damn playlists before you start defending something that is not there.

Card Boy

Banned
Why am I getting Noble Map pack achievements in Reach? I don't even have it (I think?). I'm not complaining lol. I have all the Halo games including Halo 2 on PC. I got the Rocket Race and DMR Noble achievements.

malfcn

LOL so I used whatever setting to open all ports in/out (whatever) to the Xbox and magically my NAT is no longer open? Awesomesauce.

Risen

Sincerely,

TrueSkill Defense Force

I'd disagree... people have posted plausible remarks that show it is deficient, you likely just don't remember, or don't agree. Here is one:

It sucks because it is more easily manipulated than the system used in H2. It's very nature of "figuring you out quickly" means that it is easier for people to manipulate the system to secure a rank. We all know how people boosted 50's easily by losing games intentionally so the system was very certain of how lowly they were ranked, then winning against people so far "above" them it very quickly placed them as 50's.

This wasn't possible in H2... sure you had cheating dbags in other ways, but there was no boosting a 50 by manipulating the system in that manner.

It is fundamentally flawed by it's ease of manipulation... or at least was in H3. Who knows what it looks like today.

FyreWulff

You need to do your research and actually play the damn playlists before you start defending something that is not there.

Trueskill exists in Halo 3 Social and all Reach playlists. Reach's restrictions are just looser than a lot of people would like, including me. In Arena it works the best because it forces everyone to feed the TS blackbox the minimum number of games to figure you out. H3 Social and the rest of Reach get thrown off by guests and so on.

I'd disagree... people have posted plausible remarks that show it is deficient, you likely just don't remember, or don't agree. Here is one:

It sucks because it is more easily manipulated than the system used in H2. It's very nature of "figuring you out quickly" means that it is easier for people to manipulate the system to secure a rank. We all know how people boosted 50's easily by losing games intentionally so the system was very certain of how lowly they were ranked, then winning against people so far "above" them it very quickly placed them as 50's.

This wasn't possible in H2... sure you had cheating dbags in other ways, but there was no boosting a 50 by manipulating the system in that manner.

It is fundamentally flawed by it's ease of manipulation... or at least was in H3. Who knows what it looks like today.

Nope. All you had to do to boost to a 50 in Halo 2 was lose your first game, then circle boost continous wins after that. It was exactly 120 games to do it in. I know, because I had to keep track of those fuckers when I reported them.

In Halo 3 it was restart your account until you got a lucky streak of 26 games for a 50. There's a reason why Reach forces you to turn in 30 games before it'll put you in a division. Even if you have an invisible "50", you have to defend it for at least 4 games.

As I said, Halo 3 did not actually display TrueSkill values. What people were manipulating was a flawed interpretation of them, which is probably one of the reasons why that system was abandoned.

You shouldn't classify yourself as a part of the TrueSkill Defence Force when you are pretty much making assumptions. Halo 3's social playlist has the same effect as most of Halo Reach's playlists except for Arena.

In Halo 3's social playlist, I get matched up with anyone pretty much, it could be players with new accounts, players with a very poor w/l ratio, and good players. In the Ranked playlist though, I get matched up with good players who I could confidently say are on my level of competitive gameplay.

I need you to read and comprehend. It's not too much to ask.

Top Bottom