• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT8| A Salt on the Control Room

Fracas

#fuckonami
Yeah, this attitude bugs me a lot. It STARTS with the assumption that everything is crap - so anyone suggesting that something might NOT be crap is simply blinded by circumstance.

You also strongly implied that negative impressions are more valid than positive ones, because positive ones can be explained away by the special circumstances in which conventiongoers find themselves.
Yes, playing a game like this months in advance could definitely influence someone's opinion.
That said, going into a match with the opinion that the game will be terrible (based on what has been shown) would influence an opinion just as much.

(Just to be clear: I'm not saying I want the multiplayer to be bad at all, if I was giving off that impression.)

They're lamenting that there are no iron sights.

So I noticed. Seems kinda silly to bring up CS in an argument about sprint in 2012. Sure the IGN guys were a bit young to lament no iron sights, but surely it reinfores how sprint isn't a new thing and how it's uses are there. You don't have to run with a knife. The movement speed is still fast in CS.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
This is reminding me of that IGN CS:GO review of "BU-BU- WHERE'S MY SIGHTS?!" If this is simply 2012 and Halo NEEDS sprint because all the other games are doing it, then I guess it needs ADS too. Hip fire is just too archaic. Yuck.

If this is just over the aesthetic that not sprinting provides, then have regular movement appear as that. Or just let me sprint and shoot, or is there something in the canon that doesn't allow these superhuman juggernauts who can flip tanks to do that.

It's 15 dollars because that's the range Valve prices most of their solely competitive multiplayer games. GO is as much a remake as Halo 3 was a remake of Halo 2.

Check my other posts. It's not a "me too" approach I was meaning. I think sprint is necessary from a gameplay perspective.

ib1B0VY0BoTziF.gif

This is reminding me of that IGN CS:GO review of "BU-BU- WHERE'S MY SIGHTS?!" If this is simply 2012 and Halo NEEDS sprint because all the other games are doing it, then I guess it needs ADS too. Hip fire is just too archaic. Yuck.

If this is just over the aesthetic that not sprinting provides, then have regular movement appear as that. Or just let me sprint and shoot, or is there something in the canon that doesn't allow these superhuman juggernauts who can flip tanks to do that.

It's 15 dollars because that's the range Valve prices most of their solely competitive multiplayer games. GO is as much a remake as Halo 3 was a remake of Halo 2.

Sprint actually provides a purpose is the thing. You should be able to run when you aren't shooting, it just feels right because that's what people do on any battlefield. The question is, why shouldn't a shooter have sprinting? Just because it didn't used to? What kind of argument is that? Halo 3 is as much of a remake of 2 as cs:go is to cs? No, not really at all. Plus, 3 came out when sprinting was just becoming regular in all fps's.

feel

I hate the sprint animation, so much.. it just kicks in out of nowere and the spartan barely seems to go any faster, it's just janky awkwardness getting in the way of constant smooth strafe aiming. Bah..

Please have good classic playlists with 110% speed no sprint, or something.

Holiday

Banned
I love unlimited sprint. I can't wait to play 10 minute slayer games on county-sized 4v4 maps, all the while talking about how much faster-paced the game is.

Yes, playing a game like this months in advance could definitely influence someone's opinion.
That said, going into a match with the opinion that the game will be terrible (based on what has been shown) would influence an opinion just as much.

(Just to be clear: I'm not saying I want the multiplayer to be bad at all, if I was giving off that impression.)
I promise you no one will dock your internet status by keeping positive about a franchise you care about.

And there's no 'could'; playing the game will ABSOLUTELY influence an opinion about the game, whether it be good or bad.

Check my other posts. It's not a "me too" approach I was meaning. I think sprint is necessary from a gameplay perspective.
Ah, I see. First post wasn't clear about that. :) I'm all for better sense of movement, but I'd prefer it to not limit me in other senses. Base movement speed is a far more appealing approach to me, as I like moving fast and shooting!

Sprint actually provides a purpose is the thing. You should be able to run when you aren't shooting, it just feels right because that's what people do on any battlefield. The question is, why shouldn't a shooter have sprinting? Just because it didn't used to? What kind of argument is that? Halo 3 is as much of a remake of 2 as cs:go is to cs? No, not really at all. Plus, 3 came out when sprinting was just becoming regular in all fps's.
Everything provides a purpose, but that doesn't mean I have to like it. I prefer the pace of Halo matches without the variability of movement augmentation. Everyone moving at a set pace gives me a sense of timing as to what could be where.

And my purpose of CS to Halo comparison was to point out that they're not remakes to anyone but the uninitiated.

Loathe sprint.

Perhaps your point Fracas, is that playing it at PAX isn't a good litmus test of the quality of the MP?
It ties back to how Reach was good at first, before we fully delved into it and hit upon the systems for months (maps aside, that didn't take half as long).

Same goes for positive or negative.

Re:Excitement - Super looking forward to Campaign & Spartan Ops. Hell I'm excited to see how multiplayer works out. I want to judge it for myself. I want to proven wrong about the things I don't think I'll like.

GhaleonEB

Boy, I'm excited about Halo 4. Anyone else excited? About Halo 4?

I am, particularly for Campaign.

I really hope to be able to try out both MP and Spartan Ops at PAX, to get a feel for the AI combat as well as PvP. The same set of mechanics can have very different levels of enjoyment in different contexts (such as Reach's gunplay in MP and Firefight).

I'd love Sprint more if it put you into a slide when you crouched, like Far Cry 2.

That was one of my favourite things about Far Cry 2: sliding into cover. Whoosh.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
ib1B0VY0BoTziF.gif

There is a reason you don't find a lot of customs with 200% base speed.

Everything provides a purpose, but that doesn't mean I have to like it. I prefer the pace of Halo matches without the variability of movement augmentation. Everyone moving at a set pace gives me a sense of timing as to what could be where.

I mean you're right in the sense that it has worked in the past (base movement speed only), and sprint didn't work so well with Reach. But man, Reach didn't seem to be designed around any of the armor abilities. Therefore I don't think it can't work, I just think its an added element that needs to be balanced. If balanced correctly, I personally think it will make for more dynamic gameplay. And by dynamic, I mean you can make your location less predictable and actually widen the skill gap.

Imagine no sprint and promethian vision, yikes.

Because of the inertia? :D I don't think that kind of a boost is necessary, but the later entries in the series were getting needlessly slower in base movement.

I mean you're right in the sense that it has worked in the past (base movement speed only), and sprint didn't work so well with Reach. But man, Reach didn't seem to be designed around any of the armor abilities. Therefore I don't think it can't work, I just think its an added element that needs to be balanced. If balanced correctly, I personally think it will make for more dynamic gameplay. And by dynamic, I mean you can make your location less predictable and actually widen the skill gap.

Any addition can work given the right implementation, but I still don't enjoy sprinting all too much (though my thoughts between what should be in single player and multiplayer are pretty much complete opposites). Thankfully (as far as I can tell in some videos), in 4 the audio cue for it is the rustling of your armour as opposed to a constant gasping for air. My ears thank them for that change.

I'd rather not think of prom vision at all.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member

My biggest concern at this point is how sprint will affect objective gametypes. Your team wipes out the enemy team, grabs the flag, and haul ass back to base... Only to have the other team instant respawn, find your location via promethean vision, and sprint to your location in seconds.

I totally (well, mostly) trust 343 to not actually allow for all those elements to be in objective matchmaking, but honestly, even one of those three would cheapen the experience.

My biggest concern at this point is how sprint will affect objective gametypes. Your team wipes out the enemy team, grabs the flag, and haul ass back to base... Only to have the other team instant respawn, find your location via promethean vision, and sprint to your location in seconds.

I totally (well, mostly) trust 343 to not actually allow for all those elements to be in objective matchmaking, but honestly, even one of those three would cheapen the experience.

I respect this insight, because I don't play objective gametypes very much. I really can't say anything on the matter.

At the very least, I believe it's been confirmed that instant respawns are not going to be part of flag/bomb games.

I hate the sprint animation, so much.. it just kicks in out of nowere and the spartan barely seems to go any faster, it's just janky awkwardness getting in the way of constant smooth strafe aiming. Bah..

Please have good classic playlists with 110% speed no sprint, or something.

I've always felt this way too.. You know how sometimes you get that little buggy-looking animation where your Spartan moves his arms crazy fast, but goes no where? This is the same thing that's happening now that we also slow down when being shot.. I understand the purpose of including that, but I can also see how frustrating Sprint might be when combining all these little things together.

For anyone attending PAX, can you please try and take note of these questions as I'm sure many people would like to know these details too:

Can you talk a bit on how the base movement felt? Did the movement seem sluggish at all? Was it also responsive? How long did the recovery time feel transitioning from the throwing a grenade animation back into shooting? Did going from walking to Sprint ever chug like in Reach and how did the recovery time feel going from Sprinting to shooting?

How did the grenades feel? The throwing angle, distance you could throw them, blast radius and damage drop off?

Did you get to use any automatic weapons? For anyone going to PAX, please try out the automatics and give them a fair shot.

Thanks in advance :]

I would like to compare the newer build to the impressions we got from lilty and co. with how it felt in previous games.

FyreWulff

Base speed reminds of the hilarious thing you could do in the Halo 3 beta pirate customs where you could set the run speed so high that you could practically kill each other by just running at each other across Valhalla.

In the final game, you can suicide on a turret by setting your base speed to max and giving yourself no shields and running into it.

Gunnerdude

Neo Member
Changed jobs, remembered my GAF login information, located the Halo thread, still looking at pages of compairisons between the CS:GO Vid and how IGN ruins things plus a little Halo talk here and there...

Realised I missed nothing of importance..... And it was a good day!

Halo everyone! Is it election day yet?

DesertFox

What were they? In my opinion, killcams would be a good addition in the social playlists. It would help new players to learn how to play the game, teach them tactics, etc.
I think the current system of panning to your attackers direction basically does the same thing.

I actually prefer it because it doesn't rewind time to show you how they killed you - it allows you to see where they're going after they killed you.

Tawpgun

Be positive if it's really good and be negative if you don't like it. That's all I was asking. I thought bloom was a cool mechanic my first few days of the beta.

Every time I play a damn Halo game besides Reach now I feel like the sprint button is missing. Every. Damn. Time.

Its like those phantom feelings you'd get with a lost limb. I for one am glad that sprint is now a baseline ability.

ADS isn't needed, but you already have zoom with precision weapons, so its pretty much been there all along.

eeblogue

Neo Member
Sprint has done more harm to Halo than Armour Lock. And grenades having hit-markers will destroy competitive play.

Yea, that would be because we don’t have a custom game browser.

Blissful

Neo Member
Sprint has done more harm to Halo than Armour Lock. And grenades having hit-markers will destroy competitive play.

Yea, that would be because we don’t have a custom game browser.

Hit-markers on grenades? What were they thinking....

I hope all these add ons are just in Infinity Slayer.

Really? Of all things, grenade hitmarkers?

I missed that whole conversation on here, but the stuff I skimmed through didn't seem like grenade hitmarkers would present any kind of problem.. Why are some people making such a big deal about it?

MS should give away an avatar item code with every 'I voted' sticker/receipt when picking the game up at retail.

That's actually a pretty cool idea.

Top Bottom