• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT9| One Final Effort Is All That Remains

You really don't think the Book of Whatsitpahwraith stuff *wasn't* a sack of atrocious writing?

I'll let this guy from Cynics Corner explain my issues with that entire plot:

After weeks (years, even) of build-up on the Pah-Wraith front, it turns out all Sisko needs to do is torch a dusty old book to make it All Better. Open questions abound. For instance, if the Fire Caves are a prison for the Pah-Wraiths, and the book is the key, why was there a key in the first place, and who made it? Did the Prophets intend to let the Pah-Wraiths out on parole after a certain amount of time (not that they understand time, of course)? Did the imprisoned Pah-Wraiths mind-control some starving writer into writing the book? If so, there's no reason why it couldn't happen again. And how does any of the Pah-Wraith business square with last season's "The Reckoning," in which an event billed as the Final Battle between Good Glowing-Eye Possessed Bodies and Evil Glowing-Eye Possessed Bodies was short-circuited? I don't recall the Book of the Kostawhatsit being of any importance then.
The criticism seems underlined with the assumption that everything in Sisko's role as emissary was leading up to that one moment – as in, he is here for the sole purpose of preventing this one moment – and that's not correct. His role is more of "keep things right as new issues pop up." His role as emissary wasn't done when he pushed Dukat into the fire caves. It evolved.

His question of why the book exists is something I don't feel needs to be answered. There's obviously plenty of history surrounding the Prophets and the Pah-Wraiths.

As for what happened in "The Reckoning," it was billed as being the final battle, but that doesn't mean it had to turn out that way. Remember, the prophecy had an either/or option – not a "draw."

I'm not saying the Prophets story arc was the best thing in the world, but I wouldn't call it atrocious. And I wouldn't for a moment consider it as bad as ENT's or VOY's. I thought the Dominion War ended well, and the episode has beautiful moments in it.

It won't have multiplayer.

I would hope not. I would actually LOVE a reissued Halo 2: Anniversary campaign. In fact, I would like it even more if they more properly subtitled it to differentiate, something like "Halo: Schism" or something like that. Maybe "Halo: Civil War"

What's up with the lighting/textures? They look like space midgets out of a Rare game or something.

For some reason the new Grunt render reminds me of Jet Force Gemini
Jet+Force+Gemini.jpg

Hmmmmmm...

No. It's 10 mp maps with 3 Forge environments.

Said this last night, but repeating myself. I'm guessing we'll have:
4 UNSC maps (Longbow, Adrift, Exile) + Forge Environment
4 Forerunner maps (Solace, Haven, ?) + Forge Environment
4 Covenant maps (?, ?, ?) + Forge Environment
and the remake is anyone's guess.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Microsoft initially wanted Halo 2 out in 2003 so it would have Halo 3 out in 2005.

There's no way Halo 2 would have been anything that great if Bungie had been forced to adhere to that timetable. Yeah, they made plenty of mistakes on their own, but you really think that crunching their time further would have helped things?.

Correction!

Halo 2 was actually going to be the final game in the series

Bungie messed up hard, forcing them to make halo 2 part 2 (otherwise known as halo 3)

They might not have left the story open ended if the game came out how they intended

Omni

Correction!

Halo 2 was actually going to be the final game in the series

Bungie messed up hard, forcing them to make halo 2 part 2 (otherwise known as halo 3)

They might not have left the story open ended if the game came out how they intended

Weren't they going to have Miranda strap a bomb to MC or something? I read some ridiculous plot line that they were considering.

From the pic I saw of the Flood Spartans (which was awful) I have to say they look more like mutants than flood.. it may just be a hitbox thing, but I hope the flood designs haven't been changed to look so...normal. Even so, I think the changes in infection are going to be awesome, I have been waiting for it for years..

Imagine Flood + Dominion. Humans hold down and establish bases, the Flood invade and capture/destroy them.

I'm jk, I'd be honored.

Too late, Im offended. =(

Probably needs more cleanup (I'm short of time this evening), but...

gruntfist.png

<3

Thank you! So awesome.

Pretty good interview.. So, I take it the story wont be as complex as Halo 2's when it came to the dynamics and politics of the covenant war? I loved that stuff.. Even so, I have faith for the Halo 4 story... a ton of it.

BravoHalo

I didn't even notice, that you are a member of HaloGAF. Even if it's late: Welcome to HaloGAF and thanks for your videos. :D

Btw, are you considering to coach a Halo team again?

I'm looking to commentate the event once again, and have sent in an application / reel for consideration. I would consider coaching again if I found the right team, but for now, I'm really enjoying commentating and feel that it allows me to use my knowledge of the game(s) much more.

Also, the stress of coaching a top team and falling short is tough. When you commentate, it's all about watching Halo, talking about Halo, and not caring who wins as long as the matches are exciting :)

Ramirez

Man, this game, this freaking game!

I just can't say enough how awesome the gunplay looks in every single video, even with complete scrubs playing.

Best thing to come out of these vids is the fact that the camo scramble shows as blue on your radar, huge nerf. Camo snipers will still be a pain, but at least people can't crap up the whole map with their scramble like you can on some maps in Reach.

Really can't wait to get my hands on this...

Another idea for a game mode- Dominion Neutral Bomb

Each team starts with one base, non capture-able by enemy. Bomb is in the center, plant it to score points and reset enemy base to lowest mode forcing them to re-fortify. Possibly one neutral base that can be captured by both teams to provide additional support.

Its basically a take on neutral bomb, but has the dynamic base defense mechanisms from Dominion.

Please let this be forge-able

You should see Lord Hood in that Crow's Nest video. Dude looks like a marionette with his arms going up to his chin, all stiff as hell. I think Halo 3 wouldn't got as many "doesn't look that good" reactions if the character models for the humans weren't so...lol. Dat lighting/water, though!

I always watch that cutscene to see that, and for that cheesy final line.

"...To war"
"Uh, no shit ma'am. Now how 'bout them coordinates?"

Sad that last line got cut out of the game

JackHerer

This screen made me recognize how there is a pretty nice consistency in art style between the Forerunner architecture and the Forerunner weapons. The gun here almost blends in with the structures in the environment.

Omni

Oh trust me, I can't freaking wait for October. The Thursday War on the 2nd, and FuD on the 5th? Yes please.

Oh crap. I still have to pre-order Thursday War... Probably have to spend $30 on shipping just to get it here in Australia before Halo 4 is released... Eh

vvvv That HUD is amazing.

Top Bottom