• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT9| One Final Effort Is All That Remains

Pretty sure SII's can be infected, Chief nearly was one time.

They can obviously be killed (if I'm remembering right he almost got blained by a combat form holding a wrench in one of the books) but being infected by the Flood is a separate issue. Their biomass can obviously be reused, but Spartan Is and IIs (no idea on IIIs) got their genetic makeup fucked up before it could really solidify itself being kids and all. It's how Johnson got off Alpha Halo even though going in without a helmet should have infected him from airborne exposure alone. It's impossible to hijack their nervous system (the status of their memories being assimilated is unknown), bare minimum. Presumably Spartan IVs rely more on tech than augmentations, and even then the augmentations look to be a pretty simple process even with IIIs, which makes them totally fair game.

They can obviously be killed (if I'm remembering right he almost got blained by a combat form holding a wrench in one of the books) but being infected by the Flood is a separate issue. Their biomass can obviously be reused, but Spartan Is and IIs (no idea on IIIs) got their genetic makeup fucked up before it could really solidify itself being kids and all. It's how Johnson got off Alpha Halo even though going in without a helmet should have infected him from airborne exposure alone. It's impossible to hijack their nervous system (the status of their memories being assimilated is unknown), bare minimum. Presumably Spartan IVs rely more on tech than augmentations, and even then the augmentations look to be a pretty simple process even with IIIs, which makes them totally fair game.

Johnson's immunity to the Flood is completely separate from his training as a Spartan I.

Spartans can be infected just as easily as normal human beings.

Omni

Seems like a whole lot of conjecture to me.

Fuchsdh

You've got some interesting rationales, but I'd say you're incorrect. Johnson's supposed reason for his Flood immunity was Boren's Syndrome, as related in First Strike--many fans have taken it as gospel that the real reason was his background in ORION (due to a line mention on a single page of the Graphic Novel), but that's never been outright stated or corroborated.

Chief was nearly infected in The Flood--the only reason he wasn't was Cortana zapped the infection form in time.

The exact nature of the Flood's infection, however, is up to debate. I remember asking the author of "The Mona Lisa" to clarify, since the Flood basically were zombie-like in their transmission in that story, and unfortunately she wasn't really allowed to go into more detail.

IHaveIce

Banned

I think you mix some things up.

Cortana saved the Chief from being infected with a electric shock

edit: beaten like a junior :(

Johnson's immunity to the Flood is completely separate from his training as a Spartan I.

Are you sure? The Orion project was the cause of Johnsons immunity, Borens syndrome was the cover up story

Immediately after that combat form hit him with a wrench, an infection form jumped on his neck and actually manage to tap his spine. Cortana rerouted power from the shield system to destroy it before it could go further.
Johnson's immunity may or may not have been due to ORION, but either way that is unique to SI's, and has no bearing on the later generations.

Woorloog

Banned
Immediately after that combat form hit him with a wrench, an infection form jumped on his neck and actually manage to tap his spine. Cortana rerouted power from the shield system to destroy it before it could go further.
Johnson's immunity may or may not have been due to ORION, but either way that is unique to SI's, and has no bearing on the later generations.

SIIs for sure, impossible to know if this is true for SIIIs (especially Gammas, due to mutagens) and SIVs.

Ryaaan14

Banned
Solace will be the new favorite map in Halo 4.

I hope I'm proven wrong. But I fucking bet it will be. Looks straight out of Halo 2 in terms of design.

Fuchsdh

And I'm pretty sure Microsoft wants you to have a reason to buy the next Xbox.

Luckily the timing will be so that there's no way they would shaft Halo 5 in order to get it out as a launch title for the next Xbox.

Can you imagine what would have happened to Halo 3 if MS had its way with Halo 2?

Seems like a whole lot of conjecture to me.

You've got some interesting rationales, but I'd say you're incorrect. Johnson's supposed reason for his Flood immunity was Boren's Syndrome, as related in First Strike--many fans have taken it as gospel that the real reason was his background in ORION (due to a line mention on a single page of the Graphic Novel), but that's never been outright stated or corroborated.

Chief was nearly infected in The Flood--the only reason he wasn't was Cortana zapped the infection form in time.

The exact nature of the Flood's infection, however, is up to debate. I remember asking the author of "The Mona Lisa" to clarify, since the Flood basically were zombie-like in their transmission in that story, and unfortunately she wasn't really allowed to go into more detail.

I think you mix some things up.

Cortana saved the Chief from being infected with a electric shock

edit: beaten like a junior :(

Spartan Floods just come from eating bad popcorn.

...huh. Thanks for the clarificaton, guys, you learn something new every day I suppose.

bWJtN.png

Are you sure? The Orion project was the cause of Johnsons immunity, Borens syndrome was the cover up story

Yeah, I was pretty sure about this at least. The Borens syndrome thing was a spoof.

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
Posts are a little old but meh

they are just a detriment to the game because its another way that 343 is catering to the casual crowd and holding their hand. "Oh you died? well here, ill show you hw and where the enemy is now"

Since Halo 3, when you die your 3rd person camera follows the player that killed you so you already have been told where they are in previous games.

i.e. "I just got sniped by a guy at top lift"

or

"Be careful he has 1 rocket left"

As above with the 3rd person kill cam but to add to that, your ammo counter and shield status do seem to be hidden in the kill cams.

Vire

Well yeah, it's a confirmed trilogy.

Hell, CE was a cliff hanger. Every game had been a cliffhanger ending.

Nah, there's a difference between cliffhanger and the war is not over.

Halo 2 is a cliffhanger, punch in the balls ending. Cliffhanger in my mind has a negative connotation.

Halo 1 is a very complete, almost self contained game. The end isn't abrupt or out of place, it's a natural conclusion/stopping point.

nillapuddin

Luckily the timing will be so that there's no way they would shaft Halo 5 in order to get it out as a launch title for the next Xbox.

Can you imagine what would have happened to Halo 3 if MS had its way with Halo 2?

I wonder whats going to convince me to buy a NextBox before Halo 5

Halo 2 is a cliffhanger, punch in the balls ending. Cliffhanger in my mind has a negative connotation.

Halo 1 is a very complete, almost self contained game. The end isn't abrupt or out of place, it's a natural conclusion/stopping point.
I haven't seen the IGN video yet, but just because we have a known trilogy coming up doesn't mean Halo 4 will end in a cliffhanger. Many TV shows, and indeed some movies, find ways to end with some finality while a promising sense of more things to come. See: DS9. Rarely did the show have cliffhangers, but you had so many dangling story threads that you got a sense that things weren't over.

Fuchsdh

Please, go on. It was Bungie that screwed Halo 2 over, not MS.

Microsoft initially wanted Halo 2 out in 2003 so it would have Halo 3 out in 2005.

There's no way Halo 2 would have been anything that great if Bungie had been forced to adhere to that timetable. Yeah, they made plenty of mistakes on their own, but you really think that crunching their time further would have helped things?

I haven't seen the IGN video, but just because we have a known trilogy coming up doesn't mean Halo 4 will end in a cliffhanger. Many TV shows, and indeed some movies, find ways to end with some finality while a promising sense of more things to come. See: DS9. Rarely did the show have cliffhangers, but you had so many dangling plots that you got a sense that things weren't over.

I regularly am of two minds about which of the DS9, VOY, or ENT finales was the worst (and coincidentally all directed by the same guy). I think DS9 gets the cake for the sudden mystical bullshit that made no sense and was a horrible ending to the whole Prophets thing.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun

Halo 1 is a very complete, almost self contained game. The end isn't abrupt or out of place, it's a natural conclusion.

It's still a cliffhanger, no matter now you want to slice it. Halo 2 was just an abomination of a cliffhanger, but that was a result of rushed development, poor planning, and a plethora of fuckups. At least we got the whole story later on.

Woorloog

Banned
I wonder whats going to convince me to buy a NextBox before Halo 5

I wonder what's going to convice me to buy a NextBox before Halo 6 and other Halo games for NextBox released by Halo 6. (Because I need more than one game released to justify a console purchase. And i want to wait till price drop anyway.)

I really bought 360 for Halo 3 only (boght Oblivion too, as i bought the console months before Halo 3). Then i got interested in Mass Effect. But seeing BioWare has fucked everything up (not on the gameplay side but their world build and writing sucks nowadays) nothing from them is going to interest me.
And i have very strict tastes and standards, i doubt the next gen will have many games i like since this gen didn't.

Omni

Microsoft initially wanted Halo 2 out in 2003 so it would have Halo 3 out in 2005.

There's no way Halo 2 would have been anything that great if Bungie had been forced to adhere to that timetable. Yeah, they made plenty of mistakes on their own, but you really think that crunching their time further would have helped things?

I've never heard that before. Wouldn't happen to have a citation would you? Haha.

I regularly am of two minds about which of the DS9, VOY, or ENT finales was the worst (and coincidentally all directed by the same guy). I think DS9 gets the cake for the sudden mystical bullshit that made no sense and was a horrible ending to the whole Prophets thing.
There was nothing sudden about any of the elements introduced in DS9's finale – anything you can name was hinted at, or demonstrated, before the series finale.

I find it absurd that anyone can say DS9's ending was worse than ENT's.

If that was the case then they wouldn't be very confident in their CTF gamemode. I can't imagine that being the reason. Can't really think of any other reasons either, though. Either way I think it's pretty sad that they actually have to patch in a simple CTF mode that's been in every halo game for the past 10 years. What was the thinking process behind not just including it with the game at launch? I don't get it.

I disagree though. I wouldn't say it is a lack of confidence. It is a way to get people to try out change. Change is a scary thing for a lot of people and sometimes they need a little push in order to accept change. This would be one of those ways to get people to try out the change. Many people wouldn't even give it a chance, or if they did then they may just straight hate it and go straight back to old CTF. This forces people to keep trying it. Then when they patch it in, if people still feel like they like the old CTF then they can have it, but by that time I can almost guarantee a decent amount of people will grow accustomed to the new faster paced CTF. And some will go back and think "why did I ever like this?". It is like going back and watching movies you loved as a kid. You didn't realize how bad it was til you experienced something better.

Fuchsdh

There was nothing sudden about any of the elements introduced in DS9's finale – anything you can name was hinted at, or demonstrated, before the series finale.

I find it absurd that anyone can say DS9's ending was worse than ENT's.

You really don't think the Book of Whatsitpahwraith stuff *wasn't* a sack of atrocious writing?

I'll let this guy from Cynics Corner explain my issues with that entire plot:

After weeks (years, even) of build-up on the Pah-Wraith front, it turns out all Sisko needs to do is torch a dusty old book to make it All Better. Open questions abound. For instance, if the Fire Caves are a prison for the Pah-Wraiths, and the book is the key, why was there a key in the first place, and who made it? Did the Prophets intend to let the Pah-Wraiths out on parole after a certain amount of time (not that they understand time, of course)? Did the imprisoned Pah-Wraiths mind-control some starving writer into writing the book? If so, there's no reason why it couldn't happen again. And how does any of the Pah-Wraith business square with last season's "The Reckoning," in which an event billed as the Final Battle between Good Glowing-Eye Possessed Bodies and Evil Glowing-Eye Possessed Bodies was short-circuited? I don't recall the Book of the Kostawhatsit being of any importance then.

nillapuddin

I'm not going to get the new box because ill want the limited halo 5 edition. i just used my 360 to play halo 2 until halo 3 came out anyways so it was a pointless purchase

The same thing that'll make you buy a 3DS before 3DS mainline Pokemon games... NOOOOOOOTHHHHHIIIIIIIIIIINNNNNNGGGGGGGG

yeah, maybe a spinoff or something, unless there is a Halo game though I doubt ill be droppin money

Halo is the only Xbox franchise Im committed to, your move M$

BLCKATK, shut up

BLCKATK

No flag dropping, auto pickup, waypoint saying "kill" above your head at all times showing the enemies where you are...

I never thought I'd say this but...wow I am skipping over Halo 4 holy shit. All these changes are just so weird. This did it for me. Wish I didn't join up with this series so late so I could have experienced the previous games in their prime.

I never thought I'd say this but...wow I am skipping over Halo 4 holy shit. All these changes are just so weird. This did it for me. Wish I didn't join up with this series so late so I could have experienced the previous games in their prime.

um ok.

edit: so to give this post some actual meaning.

watching some of the gameplay, the killcam looks wonky and odd. the guy is spraying the assault rifle and his reticle remains red even after the person dies, and it barley seems like he was even aiming at him at all. seems sloppy, but may have just been a bug

Vire

You really don't think the Book of Whatsitpahwraith stuff *wasn't* a sack of atrocious writing?

I'll let this guy from Cynics Corner explain my issues with that entire plot:

After weeks (years, even) of build-up on the Pah-Wraith front, it turns out all Sisko needs to do is torch a dusty old book to make it All Better. Open questions abound. For instance, if the Fire Caves are a prison for the Pah-Wraiths, and the book is the key, why was there a key in the first place, and who made it? Did the Prophets intend to let the Pah-Wraiths out on parole after a certain amount of time (not that they understand time, of course)? Did the imprisoned Pah-Wraiths mind-control some starving writer into writing the book? If so, there's no reason why it couldn't happen again. And how does any of the Pah-Wraith business square with last season's "The Reckoning," in which an event billed as the Final Battle between Good Glowing-Eye Possessed Bodies and Evil Glowing-Eye Possessed Bodies was short-circuited? I don't recall the Book of the Kostawhatsit being of any importance then.
I think my head just exploded from the level of nerdom.

heckfu

Banned
Thanks for stopping by, then. See you in a couple years for Halo 5.

Omni

wut

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
um ok.

edit: so to give this post some actual meaning.

watching some of the gameplay, the killcam looks wonky and odd. the guy is spraying the assault rifle and his reticle remains red even after the person dies, and it barley seems like he was even aiming at him at all. seems sloppy, but may have just been a bug

Kill cam will always be wonky.

I think my head just exploded from the level of nerdom.

Any time a star trek conversation starts up I want to chop someone's balls off.

The only good star trek was TNG and even that was at exceptional levels of nerddom.

Omni

Are the three so called Forge environments included in the total map count? We're getting 10 maps, so are three of those the forge ones or not?

Top Bottom