• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT9| One Final Effort Is All That Remains

TheOddOne

Part of me feels like this is a way of getting people to at least try the new CTF before having the chance to straight skip it for the classic experience from day 1. I have a feeling that a good amount of people will enjoy the new experience. Then when they can play classic CTF again they will miss some of the features of modern day CTF.
That is a pretty good guess, makes sense too. I wonder if it's just already built in and 343 just doesn't want to say anything to not compromise their new CTF.

BravoHalo

Total information overload, just sitting at my computer and I have no idea to get started. I'm getting out of the house. When I come back, this will all be a dream.

p.s. thank you Hypertrooper for the media blow out post which will serve as an itinerary for my entire afternoon / evening.

Part of me feels like this is a way of getting people to at least try the new CTF before having the chance to straight skip it for the classic experience from day 1. I have a feeling that a good amount of people will enjoy the new experience. Then when they can play classic CTF again they will miss some of the features of modern day CTF.

But why not give the options to change it back to classic in custom games at launch. You're not going to tell me 343 didn't anticipate people wanting to play classic CTF.

kylej

Banned
Nice job including female spartans:

jx8gpEBS1bgXw.PNG

how are the halo 4 female spartan asses in comparison to halo reach female spartan asses?

Akai__

Total information overload, just sitting at my computer and I have no idea to get started. I'm getting out of the house. When I come back, this will all be a dream.

p.s. thank you Hypertrooper for the media blow out post which will serve as an itinerary for my entire afternoon / evening.

I didn't even notice, that you are a member of HaloGAF. Even if it's late: Welcome to HaloGAF and thanks for your videos. :D

Btw, are you considering to coach a Halo team again?

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Actually

Just looking at the halo 4 trailer, it appears that the deck chief is standing in is actually close to 10 m in height

While in halo 3 each deck appeared to be about 4-6m in height

Width is supposed to be like 150 m or something

And there's 6 decks shown in halo 3 that's visible with the loading area and a little bit extra which would be double those 6 decks

It's really confusing, because my rough math of calculating the top speed of the warthog (125 km/h) from the moment you jump at the end of halo 3 and the duration of the jump shows the length of the ship is indeed around 450m

It really is halo 3 that showed the inaccurate sizing in the legendary ending when chief is looking out of the breach

(I think)

But why not give the options to change it back to classic in custom games at launch. You're not going to tell me 343 didn't anticipate people wanting to play classic CTF.

By stripping away the ability to play the classic version of CTF, people are forced into playing the new version of CTF if they really want to play CTF. This at least encourages them to try it. Then later they can patch it in. There will be hundreds of people who go back to the classic experience and feel the difference from the new experience and decide to go back to the new one. By reducing the players options you force them into a more predictable pattern. I get the feeling that at the very least classic CTF will come in the future in order to fulfill the whole "customize your experience" philosophy.

Gunnerdude

Neo Member
Hey guys, remember that conversation yesterday about the perfect storm of sword+sprint+thruster+overshield? Remember how Duncan said that's unlikely to happen, since ordnance is rare? Yeah, well it happened in this press event video. The dude had a jetpack, but whatever, close enough.

Yeah i chuckled when i watched it earlier today and thought the same thing.. just didn't want to start another couple pages of bitching.

That quick-weapon swap perk should come in plenty handy with a sword in your backpocket. Getting visions of Halo 2 where you walk around with an SMG, wait until somebody starts walking up, switch out sword for easy kill(unless they have Shotgun)

Also, I think that's the first time I've seen the Damage Boost power-up.

I LOVE that the video ends with the XBL/game journalist standard of two guys spraying ARs at each other and trading melee deaths. That pretty much sums that gameplay video up.

Good lord. Looks like in Campaign you use MechaKyleJ to
start one-shotting Phantoms.

Can't wait for BTB Heavies with mechs on Valhalla.

Overdoziz

Banned
By stripping away the ability to play the classic version of CTF, people are forced into playing the new version of CTF if they really want to play CTF. This at least encourages them to try it. Then later they can patch it in. There will be hundreds of people who go back to the classic experience and feel the difference from the new experience and decide to go back to the new one. By reducing the players options you force them into a more predictable pattern. I get the feeling that at the very least classic CTF will come in the future in order to fulfill the whole "customize your experience" philosophy.
If that was the case then they wouldn't be very confident in their CTF gamemode. I can't imagine that being the reason. Can't really think of any other reasons either, though. Either way I think it's pretty sad that they actually have to patch in a simple CTF mode that's been in every halo game for the past 10 years. What was the thinking process behind not just including it with the game at launch? I don't get it.

Fuchsdh

Huh? They look like human flood.

Are we looking at the same pic? Perhaps it's just not having the infection form shoving the human head back, but I don't think they look very similar to human Flood we've seen in any previous game.

(Also, given that the heads are usually viewed as worthless on Combat forms, what is this enhanced vision? Some sort of Promethean vision?)

Are we looking at the same pic? Perhaps it's just not having the infection form shoving the human head back, but I don't think they look very similar to human Flood we've seen in any previous game.

(Also, given that the heads are usually viewed as worthless on Combat forms, what is this enhanced vision? Some sort of Promethean vision?)

The place I saw it translated it to an expanded field of view rather than enhanced vision, which would be very interesting...

A visual representation of a sense of smell? And I think the massively transformed arm looks quite similar to previous games.

Vire

Yeah it looks nothing like this:
Shame, it turned into some generic ass zombie/locust looking thing.

dmg04

#DEADWRONG
Yeah it looks nothing like this:

Shame, it turned into some generic ass zombie/locust looking thing.
The only way that it makes sense is to actually explain how we - the player- are able to see the battlefield.

I'd rather not see them go an alien rout and completely change the HUD to some weird color with blurry sides to say 'well, you don't really have a head so this is how the flood sees!'

Let's just go with 'it's because they're spartan 4s and the heads are utilized by the flood due to enhancements caused by integration with armor'?

lolol

Omni

Unless I'm missing something, a little blurry scanned picture isn't really much to go by... But it does look similar. I wouldn't expect them to look exactly like the other games because after all, 343i are 'redesigning' basically everything.

Let's just go with 'it's because they're spartan 4s and the heads are utilized by the flood due to enhancements caused by integration with armor'?

lolol
That... doesn't actually sound that bad as an excuse. The Flood is known to use tech where possible.

FyreWulff

They did say they were considering patching in the option to actually play classic CTF but I still don't get why it isn't an option in the first place.

I thought Halo 4 was all about your gameplay experience. Then why am I not able to play the game how I want, even in customs?

It's been a while, but I believe the Flag in Halo games is technically a weapon just like other guns (someone correct me if I'm wrong). This setup means that to make it throwable, it would need to be made throwable (and figure out how you reconcile what happens to the pistol), which would be just a tad bit dangerous to attempt a weapon tag change like that late in the development process.

On the upside, we know after the Reach TU that 343 doesn't place the same importance on LAN version interoperation like Bungie did, so I'd expect their TUs to make significant changes like that that wouldn't have been possible before with the imposed restrictions.

orznge

Banned
It's been a while, but I believe the Flag in Halo games is technically a weapon just like other guns (someone correct me if I'm wrong). This setup means that to make it throwable, it would need to be made throwable (and figure out how you reconcile what happens to the pistol), which would be just a tad bit dangerous to attempt a weapon tag change like that late in the development process.

On the upside, we know after the Reach TU that 343 doesn't place the same importance on LAN version interoperation like Bungie did, so I'd expect their TUs to make significant changes like that that wouldn't have been possible before with the imposed restrictions.

lol

JackHerer

Actual Flood forms in infection? Even though I haven't liked infection since Halo 3 first came out it's a cool addition.

Wonder what other changes to the game type have been made.

JackHerer

The screens and videos look amazing, graphically it's great.

Too bad MP is gonna blow.

It looks better than Reach at least. And even with all the flaws that Reach has I still managed to enjoy it and played the hell out of it. I don't think Halo 4 will be any different.

The base game definitely looks fun if maybe not super competitive. And there's always custom games and the eventual MLG playlist for that. I still have hope.

Vire

One thing I hope with the Mech now that it's confirmed is that it doesn't bring the pace down to a screeching halt similar to the Turret sequence in Dead Space 1 or even at the end of Reach.

I don't really know what to expect with this thing...

Top Bottom