• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT9| One Final Effort Is All That Remains

DeadNames

Banned
Is there going to be game fuel in the US?

There's a possibility we might know October 1st I think.

I don't know if it's just me, but does Halo 4 look cell shaded sometimes?

fsd.gif

Better ingredients. Better pizza. Papa John's.

Lasky looks like one of my teachers...

Overdoziz

Banned
Can you remind me of the glitch where one can survive inside a soft kill zone or make it through a hard kill zone alive?
You can pass through hard kill zones if they're really thin (You gotta get out within a second) if you're either host or not host, can't remember.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Great... Now I'm going to be thinking something completely inappropriate when I see that cut scene. 0_o

Still got that Wahrer conversation in your mind, eh?

An easy solution would just be making sure you can't re-join a game in matchmaking you've quit/been booted out of. Time will tell if this is the case though.

Oh, I know it's a solution, I also know it's something that has a good chance to be overlooked.

FyreWulff

You can pass through hard kill zones if they're really thin (You gotta get out within a second) if you're either host or not host, can't remember.

That's improper usage than the hard kill zone itself. You can in fact past through super thin ones, but you shouldn't be using super thin ones in the first place..

So who here is planning on going to the first look event in Utrecht in 2 weeks?

Hopefully, we won't get the E3 build but the PAX build or at least something more up to date.

TheOddOne

Final thoughts/summary on the flood of information that came out last Friday.

• While it has been known for a while, but the inclusion of duel firing modes on the Prometheans weapons sounds great and a welcome inclusion to the sandbox as a whole.
  • Great to hear that the game is challenging even on normal, according to Arthur Gies.
  • The justification for the change in Chiefs armor should have never been a big deal,
    finding out that it was just a Firmware update done by Cortana kind of makes me laugh
  • So the recap of previous games is tucked under a terminal you can’t miss after waking up, cool. Don’t like the sound of terminals being locked and viewable only (?) via Waypoint, though.
  • “But the interesting thing is that a lot of peoples' favorite moments from Halo games are the sort of noir-ish plot elements from ODST, or the politics of Halo 2. We wanted to make sure that those fans are getting lots and lots of meat out of this experience. So what we did is move that stuff out of the mainline game and into the fiction that is scattered throughout the game. Some of it's in the skyboxes, some of its in the terminals. But the complicated, super deep canon is in the game, and just moved to different places now, and to appropriate places for that audience.”- Frank, Verge interview.
  • Don’t like the inclusion of non-QTE scripted events (Which are said to be sprinkled here and there during the campaign), very few games do it right. Even those who do it right often just limit the replayability of the game. Feels wrong that it’s even in a Halo game.
  • The Covenant and Prometheans fighting each other should bring some interesting dynamic to the game. Hearing you can sneak past them, fight with a faction or just watch them tear themselves apart sounds pretty trilling.
  • So next to flying sentinels that you can spawn, there are also fixed-to-the-wall sentinels. Interestingly, they have not been named.
  • “Q: Prometheans equal Forerunner or does it go deeper than that? A: It goes deeper than that. You’re effectively fighting Forerunner Warriors”- Frank, Giantbomb interview. Interesting answer, especially seeing Frank sweat it a little during that segment. Maybe it’s my fascination with the Forerunner that makes me question everything.
  • “We’re not going to eliminate the idea that you can have a cliffhanger thought or premise in a story, because those are actually useful or satisfying. [..] It’s just done one battle in a bigger war. We will definitively use that tact in the end of Halo 4. ”- Frank, IGN interview.
  • “Maybe on the next [Spartan Ops] episode that artifact is on the UNSC Infinity and something happens with it.”- Kiki, Gametrailers interview. I wonder if we will get to run around the ship itself.
  • “Forward Unto Dawn’s John Sullivan shows up in Halo 4 and along with some other characters, and he is kind of hacker, social networking guy, and he has found some strange tapes while going through the UNSC archives.”- Frank, Machinima interview. Interesting side-story.
  • A mech playable, named Mantis, confirmed to be in the game. So far only a single player vehicle. I like mechs, sorry Gundams, and want to Power Ranger all day.
  • They changed the Legendary icon, which now looks like a dead Forerunner. Seeing as they are new big baddies, it’s understandable that they changed it – still I wish it didn’t look like clipart.
  • Newly introduced multiplayer map Solance really does remind me of Halo 3’s Narrows. I’m not sure if that is a good or bad thing, but from the videos we’ve seen the look of the level is awesome.
  • The new multiplayer mode Dominion looks interesting, but a bit too hectic from what I have seen. It’s interesting to hear that once a point is secured it will resupply, which can give the structure turrets, shield doors and even vehicles. Those fortification will stay even when the other team takes the base over. Interesting dynamic.
  • Killcams and final killcam, sorry Sitrec Replay, are now in Halo. So far we know it’s only restricted to certain modes. Don’t mind this at all, one of the better things that has been copied.
  • Zombies, now renamed Flood will gets its own mode. 2 against 10 flood infected. Sounds cool, look forward to how it's executed.
  • “There will be classic playlists where those loadouts are restricted.” –Frank, Gamespot interview.
  • No word on any ranking system, then again this blowout seems to be focused on SP.
Phew, I know I missed some things.

So who here is planning on going to the first look event in Utrecht in 2 weeks?

Hopefully, we won't get the E3 build but the PAX build or at least something more up to date.

Im heading to Eurogamer in a week and really hope the newly announced stuff is playable. Will be pretty sweet to get to try out the new maps/ dominion.

raindoc

Someone team killed you in BF3 so you're asking what 343i are going to do to prevent it in the future?

obviously i was asking about how 343I will handle this in their very own game named "Ha...

thank god.

Another obvious point I forgot to mention. With friendly fire off, it's a very simple system - play the game right and you'll be fine. Accidentally run over a teammate and you'll usually be good unless you've done considerable damage to their invisible "health" in the past, in which case the prompt for booting's more likely. Contrary to popular belief this is an effective system and can probably be deemed useful about 90% of the time, the other 10% being when a griefer just weakens you rather than kills you or the game pulls the old "it let him kill me five times and I couldn't boot him but killing him once got me booted!" problem.

This is not the case at all with Friendly Fire enabled. Now your team's troll doesn't have to worry about any repercussions, other than the fact that he isn't doing any literal damage. Rather than having an asshole steal your Warthog and splatter three teammates and get booted, now you have a guy running around, knocking stuff over, pushing teammates way out of the way or even off the edge, and who can stop him? Not any of your teammates, that's for sure, because now an invincible griefer is stealing some of your power weapons and there's nothing you can do about it.

imo in reality trolls don't just apply only one of these two "tactics" at a time, plus the amount of people not actually teamkilling, but intermittently harassing other players outnumbers the active teamkillers anyway - you probably wouldn't notice an increase in "annoyances", if friendly fire was disabled.
yet as the majority of disturbances remains (if not increases) and teamkilling still isn't impossible if friendly fire would be turned off, the impact on regular gameplay would be a lot stronger than on actual trolling, which is why i'm not in favor of this change - i really was just wondering if there was any info from the people who had their hands on the game already, or if 343I had addressed this ("bad manners", especially team killing). if their goal is to recruit new gamers for H4, gamers that are especially used to COD, BF, GOW... none of which feature friendly fire, they must've thought about it.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
I'll never forgive you guys for complaining about Steizer and his, "flag dropped, flag stolen, flag dropped, flag stolen" You guys are the reason we have no flag juggling in Halo 4. All your fault.

heckfu

Banned
I've been thinking about the remake today on this long drive and given all the new changes, 1 flag Burial Mounds would be super fast-paced and hectic fun.

Here's to hoping.

I've been thinking about the remake today on this long drive and given all the new changes, 1 flag Burial Mounds would be super fast-paced and hectic fun.

Here's to hoping.

I'll take burial mounds.

I'll take anything from Halo 2.

havent seen these, thanks. so good to finally get some HD stuff

Plenty of maps in Halo 3 and Reach have ambient noises.

Yeah but nothing as prominent as Halo 1's Sidewinder for example or Exile when you're in the caves and hear water drops. Definitely part of 343's vision to boost all areas of sound making sweet love with my ears. The only thing that sounds off to me are a couple guns like the Needler, other than that.. :]

Gray Man

Banned
Was there anymore information released yesterday? I feel as I missed something.

When, or where, did we get information on the flood mode?

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
There was no embargo.

The embargo confusion was caused by Waypoint's moderation decision to forbid talking about Flood mode until the french OXM hit the shelves. Subscribers got it early but Waypoint called it a "leak" and locked all topics on the subject - for a day. Then they lifted their ban on it.

That's all. Just confusion caused by a rather pointless "leak" policy.

What's strange, is that OXM got the information exclusively when all the other media outlets, like IGN et al, apparently didn't. There's a chance they did get the info but are withholding it, but that seems silly for there to have been a double embargo. Just seems like 343 gave the info out to foreign press first and they'll most likely release it themselves shortly - say at Comic Con coming up shortly?

And while on the topic of strange things.

WHAT IS ON DISC 2?

Fuchsdh

Final thoughts/summary on the flood of information that came out last Friday.

• While it has been known for a while, but the inclusion of duel firing modes on the Prometheans weapons sounds great and a welcome inclusion to the sandbox as a whole.
  • Great to hear that the game is challenging even on normal, according to Arthur Gies.
  • The justification for the change in Chiefs armor should have never been a big deal,
    finding out that it was just a Firmware update done by Cortana kind of makes me laugh
  • So the recap of previous games is tucked under a terminal you can’t miss after waking up, cool. Don’t like the sound of terminals being locked and viewable only (?) via Waypoint, though.
  • “But the interesting thing is that a lot of peoples' favorite moments from Halo games are the sort of noir-ish plot elements from ODST, or the politics of Halo 2. We wanted to make sure that those fans are getting lots and lots of meat out of this experience. So what we did is move that stuff out of the mainline game and into the fiction that is scattered throughout the game. Some of it's in the skyboxes, some of its in the terminals. But the complicated, super deep canon is in the game, and just moved to different places now, and to appropriate places for that audience.”- Frank, Verge interview.
  • Don’t like the inclusion of non-QTE scripted events (Which are said to be sprinkled here and there during the campaign), very few games do it right. Even those who do it right often just limit the replayability of the game. Feels wrong that it’s even in a Halo game.
  • The Covenant and Prometheans fighting each other should bring some interesting dynamic to the game. Hearing you can sneak past them, fight with a faction or just watch them tear themselves apart sounds pretty trilling.
  • So next to flying sentinels that you can spawn, there are also fixed-to-the-wall sentinels. Interestingly, they have not been named.
  • “Q: Prometheans equal Forerunner or does it go deeper than that? A: It goes deeper than that. You’re effectively fighting Forerunner Warriors”- Frank, Giantbomb interview. Interesting answer, especially seeing Frank sweat it a little during that segment. Maybe it’s my fascination with the Forerunner that makes me question everything.
  • “We’re not going to eliminate the idea that you can have a cliffhanger thought or premise in a story, because those are actually useful or satisfying. [..] It’s just done one battle in a bigger war. We will definitively use that tact in the end of Halo 4. ”- Frank, IGN interview.
  • “Maybe on the next [Spartan Ops] episode that artifact is on the UNSC Infinity and something happens with it.”- Kiki, Gametrailers interview. I wonder if we will get to run around the ship itself.
  • “Forward Unto Dawn’s John Sullivan shows up in Halo 4 and along with some other characters, and he is kind of hacker, social networking guy, and he has found some strange tapes while going through the UNSC archives.”- Frank, Machinima interview. Interesting side-story.
  • A mech playable, named Mantis, confirmed to be in the game. So far only a single player vehicle. I like mechs, sorry Gundams, and want to Power Ranger all day.
  • They changed the Legendary icon, which now looks like a dead Forerunner. Seeing as they are new big baddies, it’s understandable that they changed it – still I wish it didn’t look like clipart.
  • Newly introduced multiplayer map Solance really does remind me of Halo 3’s Narrows. I’m not sure if that is a good or bad thing, but from the videos we’ve seen the look of the level is awesome.
  • The new multiplayer mode Dominion looks interesting, but a bit too hectic from what I have seen. It’s interesting to hear that once a point is secured it will resupply, which can give the structure turrets, shield doors and even vehicles. Those fortification will stay even when the other team takes the base over. Interesting dynamic.
  • Killcams and final killcam, sorry Sitrec Replay, are now in Halo. So far we know it’s only restricted to certain modes. Don’t mind this at all, one of the better things that has been copied.
  • Zombies, now renamed Flood will gets its own mode. 2 against 10 flood infected. Sounds cool, look forward to how it's executed.
  • “There will be classic playlists where those loadouts are restricted.” –Frank, Gamespot interview.
  • No word on any ranking system, then again this blowout seems to be focused on SP.
Phew, I know I missed some things.

I'm more or less of the same mind as you. The scripted events probably won't be that annoying--I think of it as the equivalent of the WC Elite showdown cutscene, except I'll be able to get back into action far quicker--but I still don't really want that in a Halo game. It's taking control away from the player, and that should be done as little as possible.

I will still hold a brief, flickering light for a possible reason for the Chief's armor change. All hope is not lost... I want to believe!

EDIT: And I'm not entirely sure that the Terminal videos would be Waypoint only. I think the text he saw might have to do with the fact that they haven't actually been integrated into the campaign (assuming that they are akin to CEA, where the Terminals were produced by an outside group.)

Unlocking the Terminals through Waypoint for more Spartan bucks and later viewing pleasure is good, but forcing you to open another app (even if Halo 4 and Waypoint are properly integrated) is onerous.

Just played Delta Halo and Regret again from Halo 2, only had the intention of playing one mission, the way the two missions merge tricked me! I remember not really liking the Halo 2 campaign when it first came out - didnt really play it much, but going back to it... it really is a lot of fun.

Cortana said something interesting, "Its like the forerunners built around the buildings which where already here to protect them" - I wonder what they had in mind there - are those precursor buildings? Something doesnt add up considering its a Halo ring and its unlikely precursor buildings would even end up on them unless the Forerunners put them there! Are they supposed to be human in nature? - kind of makes more sense given the Greg Bear books.

I didnt like it much at the time, but going back... I kind of dig the weird aztec* buildings they have going on.

* - I know they are not aztec, but for some reason thats what popped into my head.

I'm more or less of the same mind as you. The scripted events probably won't be that annoying--I think of it as the equivalent of the WC Elite showdown cutscene, except I'll be able to get back into action far quicker--but I still don't really want that in a Halo game. It's taking control away from the player, and that should be done as little as possible.
I am curious what a Speed runner thinks about it. He may disagree with you. A quick time event is just... more time consuming.

Spawnling

I honestly hoped for "plays of the game" that would run in the post game carnage report. Like a mini screen that posted the top kills or objective games. I don't know how much hardware that would require to run that since it's not in-game so to speak. But it would be pretty neat.

I will still hold a brief, flickering light for a possible reason for the Chief's armor change. All hope is not lost... I want to believe!

That's got to be insanely depressing for Cortana, think about it. She's been in space completely alone for years now, unable to talk with Chief because of his limited air supply, with no hope of any real companionship without being pulled into the war again. She receives a message that's traveled for years. Hopeful, she reads it.

"Your Master Chief is scheduled for an update. Please hit OKAY to initiate Patch 12.01.4333.8 to your firmware. You will need to restart once installation is complete."

Grenade Launcher assets. THE WHOLE DISK.

I laughed thinking at this. Just imagine it, it becomes an Ordnance weapon but you have to have the second disc installed. If anyone sees you holding the gun and doesn't have it installed, it destroys their framerate. If you manage to hit them? It crashes their game.

I am curious what a Speed runner thinks about it. He may disagree with you. A quick time event is just... more time consuming.

It'd be interesting if some of them were context-sensitive and could be avoided under the right conditions. Like if you skip a loading zone, you don't have to climb up the elevator shaft. If you manage to kill that Elite before he can grab you, it doesn't happen, and so on.

Fracas

#fuckonami
I've been having this weird problem with Xbox Live:

I can't connect to this one guy, be it party chat/game chat, anything. We both have open NATs and a good connection. Suddenly happened too. Anyone had a problem like this?

wwm0nkey

There was no embargo.

The embargo confusion was caused by Waypoint's moderation decision to forbid talking about Flood mode until the french OXM hit the shelves. Subscribers got it early but Waypoint called it a "leak" and locked all topics on the subject - for a day. Then they lifted their ban on it.

That's all. Just confusion caused by a rather pointless "leak" policy.

What's strange, is that OXM got the information exclusively when all the other media outlets, like IGN et al, apparently didn't. There's a chance they did get the info but are withholding it, but that seems silly for there to have been a double embargo. Just seems like 343 gave the info out to foreign press first and they'll most likely release it themselves shortly - say at Comic Con coming up shortly?

And while on the topic of strange things.

WHAT IS ON DISC 2?
What is on Disc 2 and what is Groups!?

Top Bottom