• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT9| One Final Effort Is All That Remains

And then there was this pic (one of earlies campaign pics, maybe in some magazine, don't remember exactly), where you can see time since the last contact with UNSC, a time that does not coincide with when the FUD was split in half. Now, since this was early on, this may have been changed but assuming it hasn't been...
Please explain.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
I hope final killcams are in all gamemodes. That's one thing from CoD I don't mind.

Uhhh fuck no. I would much rather move the camera around my dead body or my teammates body and see where the enemies are. I don't need to see how the guy who killed me did it. It's pretty clear to see in Halo. Put that shit in casual playlists if you must but keep it out of the real ones.

Uhhh fuck no. I would much rather move the camera around my dead body or my teammates body and see where the enemies are. I don't need to see how the guy who killed me did it. It's pretty clear to see in Halo. Put that shit in casual playlists if you must but keep it out of the real ones.

He said final killcams, not after every death.

It's that time of day again! lol

Thats what she said.

On a sidenote, personally visual updates and even the stuff that broke cannon in Reach like the ship being in orbit dont bother me at all unless they really suck.

If they suddenly act like armour abilities are a normal thing that the chiefs used to, then that would be jarring though.

For the same reasons you mentioned, I dont want general killcams. I do want game winning killcams in every mode though.

Flipyap

ahahahahaha! is this real? i'm laughing so hard right now

image.php

It is a complete new studios. They want to set their mark on the game. You will not see such drastic changes in further Halo games.
Which is a dumb thing to blindly accept, when the studio was founded to copy and expand on a specific thing. Kind of like Team Ninja was, with Metroid - now that's an authorial mark. Good think they didn't choose to mark their territory with iron sights, huh?
I don't see why you wouldn't see such changes in the future. If they didn't care what anyone will think of the changes now, they're even less likely to care about it in the future, when the studio will be made up of entirely new leads, etc.

Woah now, Murder Miners looks amazing.

I realize I am somewhat late to this party, but hot damn it looks good.

Do any GAF'ers on here play it regularly?

Oh ok. My bad.

Well I'm kind of indifferent about the final kill shot.

Could be really cool if you get an epic game winning kill. Acros map no-scopes, multikills or a narrow 50-49 game winning kill will make sitting through mediocre or bad game winning kills totally worth it IMO.

Noricart

this screenshot:

It looks like the shoulder plate is floating in that.

Also, if there is no contact with anything else for 3 years, how the hell did chief's armor change so much?
The helmet is the most familiar looking part, but the chest and shoulders are far off from Halo 3.

Edit: The helmet looks like a weird mesh of the past ones.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Frankie is going to move my resume right to the top when he sees my sweet forum posts. I just know he will.

This is exactly what goes through my mind when I read a lot of stuff here. Especially the stuff that it looks like the person took 3 days assembling it before posting.

image.php

Which is a dumb thing to blindly accept, when the studio was founded to copy and expand on a specific thing. Kind of like Team Ninja was, with Metroid - now that's an authorial mark. Good think they didn't choose to mark their territory with iron sights, huh?
I don't see why you wouldn't see such changes in the future. If they didn't care what anyone will think of the changes now, they're even less likely to care about it in the future, when the studio will be made up of entirely new leads, etc.
343i has not changed anything in terms of plot line if you compare it to Metroid: Other M. Halo 4 continues the story of Halo 3. It just does not transfer 3's design. Other M changed the complete character of Samus. At the end I do not care about the artistic difference because I like the most of them. And about the story? That will happen after I know the story.

this screenshot:

YfwVq.png
This is a small piece which could easily get explained in a book. The large majority does not care about. Maybe it will be explained in Forward Unto Dawn or Thursday War? "Contact" means a lot. Maybe a outpost received the sign and I thought it was a mistake. Etc. Etc. Etc.

Woorloog

Banned
This is a small piece which could easily get explained in a book. The large majority does not care about. Maybe it will be explained in Forward Unto Dawn or Thursday War? "Contact" means a lot. Maybe a outpost received the sign and I thought it was a mistake. Etc. Etc. Etc.

As i said, my theory is not waterproof, i will need more data. Maybe the final game will explain the armor, maybe not. Maybe the extra material will do that, maybe not.
But it is interested nonetheless, and may (or may not) explain the odd upgrade the FUD's armory has gained.

TheOddOne

Thanks for this.

About the explanation of the new armor, that has to be a joke right? I mean they will have to explain properly why and when he got completely new parts, right? Please no bullshit metal reshaping nanomachines/magic explanations if you want me to take you story seriously 343i..
Reminded me of the whole "We have a compelling reason as to why Blue Spartans fight Red Spartans" thing.

Reminded me of the whole "We have a compelling reason as to why Blue Spartans fight Red Spartans" thing.

The reason they gave for that one was reasonable and made sense. It isn't really that big compared to other things.

Edit: Lol, no. RVB is much different and more outlandish, the similarity is superficial at most.

Flipyap

343i has not changed anything in terms of plot line if you compare it to Metroid: Other M. Halo 4 continues the story of Halo 3. It just does not transfer 3's design. Other M changed the complete character of Samus. At the end I do not care about the artistic difference because I like the most of them. And about the story? That will happen after I know the story.
Who's talking about story or characters? I mostly meant that in terms of fan outrage and its viability, you know, for perspective.
Though, okay, if you want to compare those, you have Glasslands for that (oh boy).
Oh, and Other M CREATED a "character" in Samus, who until that point was largely a mute automaton (hm, sounds familiar).

People still watch RvB?

The main story is way too convoluted for me. With the whole freelancer stuff...

I check in every now in then to see what idiotic crap has gone down.
It's still just as addictive as ever, but for a completely different reason than it used to be. It used to be because it was good, now it's just a trainwreck.

Good luck ;)

You know, I really like some of those new videos released the past few days; however, I get ridiculously annoyed by how 343 (and other game devs) have a tendency to "cheesily" over-sell the game with silly buzz-words.

"Our new dynamic capture the flag experience, with our new, more visceral weapon sounds all seamlessly, and cohesively integrate with the over-arching competitive Infinity multiplayer experience."

Not an exact quote, but you get the idea... This is honestly what it sounds like to me when the devs are talking about the game. I mean, I know we're all excited, and it's important to make the game sound interesting, but the game speaks for itself, just show it and explain the gist of the new modes simply - the buzz-words are just so unnecessary and cheesy (like an old '90s TV ad).

The word visceral is used 4 times in the latest Halo Bulletin

Fuchsdh

People still watch RvB?

The main story is way too convoluted for me. With the whole freelancer stuff...

To me (and apparently to quite a few people on HBO at least) it hit the high water mark with Reconstruction, which I thought was a great blend of story, action, drama and comedy. And then after that, the stories got more convoluted to me and the animation took away from some of the craft, I think. I have no doubt it's still very engaging to the hardcore fans of the series, though.

Good luck ;)

You know, I really like some of those new videos released the past few days; however, I get ridiculously annoyed by how 343 (and other game devs) have a tendency to "cheesily" over-sell the game with silly buzz-words.

"Our new dynamic capture the flag experience, with our new, more visceral weapon sounds all seamlessly integrate with the over-arching competitive Infinity multiplayer experience."

Not an exact quote, but you get the idea... This is honestly what it sounds like to me when the devs are talking about the game. I mean, I know we're all excited, and it's important to make the game sound interesting, but the game speaks for itself, just show it and explain the gist of the new modes simply - the buzz-words are just so unnecessary and cheesy (like an old '90s TV ad).

It's not a 90's thing, it's overselling in general. A tip my old writing professor taught me which made me rethink everything I wrote was to axe every adjective you could if it could be replaced with a verb, i.e., "walk quietly" with something like "sneak". You start realizing that people just sort of throw words together and the more they add, the less effective they are rather than more (which is the reason for all the words in the first place...)

Doesn't that dude use camo while sniping?

so... he will fit right in?

Just joking!

I was just thinking with Spartan 3's and now 4's being around, its unlikely we will ever get to see the Spartan 2's. :( Such a shame that the story has moved on from the Reach era. Such a shame that Reach didnt tackle some of the interesting stuff.

Im still deliriously holding out hope for a ODST style side game where you control the Spartan 2's before they got Mjonir, - essentially a stealth game like MGS where you go in with a black team and mess insurrectionists up. Theres a million reasons why that kind of game would suck, but I kind of want to see it.

To me (and apparently to quite a few people on HBO at least) it hit the high water mark with Reconstruction, which I thought was a great blend of story, action, drama and comedy. And then after that, the stories got more convoluted to me and the animation took away from some of the craft, I think. I have no doubt it's still very engaging to the hardcore fans of the series, though.

that's me. i honestly have no idea how i have kept up with it for so long. seen every single episode, up to last season. i haven't watched the whole of the current season yet, usually watch in one sitting when the seasons done.

i have to say the show peaked with reconstruction, the end of last season was pretty great too. also the halo 1 -> halo 2 transition is great as well. the animation stuff is pretty cool, but it kinda detracts from the comedy bits. i think some earlier uses of it was definitely more restrained, and only reserved for special scenes. but now it seems to make up half the show.

Just joking!

I was just thinking with Spartan 3's and now 4's being around, its unlikely we will ever get to see the Spartan 2's. :( Such a shame that the story has moved on from the Reach era. Such a shame that Reach didnt tackle some of the interesting stuff.

Im still deliriously holding out hope for a ODST style side game where you control the Spartan 2's before they got Mjonir, - essentially a stealth game like MGS where you go in with a black team and mess insurrectionists up. Theres a million reasons why that kind of game would suck, but I kind of want to see it.

I'd love a Halo meets Deus Ex game. Loved the stealth mechanics in that game.

I was just thinking with Spartan 3's and now 4's being around, its unlikely we will ever get to see the Spartan 2's. :( Such a shame that the story has moved on from the Reach era. Such a shame that Reach didnt tackle a lot of the interesting stuff.

Fixed* and tis a damn shame indeed ;'[

I was hoping Bungie's last hurrah with Halo would've ended on such a high note showcasing Spartan II's in battles that expanded across Reach!
w/ a real MC cameo

-EDIT-

Well I'll be damned.. An extremely well-written article about Halo 4 on IGN? Yes.

What does that mean to most Halo players? Not much, but that’s a good thing. While noticeable, the new elements don’t intrinsically alter the gameplay so much so that it doesn’t feel like Halo, though I imagine some purists will complain about 343i getting the Call of Duty chocolate in their Halo peanut butter. It’s all Reese’s to me.

lol

Regicide’s rule-set is also a great example of the power that a game has to prove how stupid we are. Speaking for myself, it was hard to resist running into the fray towards the King when I could see his beacon from across the map, even though I knew 7 other players were doing the exact same thing. The beacon, there it is, it’s… TOO… SHINY!

Exactly why there's a KILL waypoint in CTF now.

Just joking!

Play the shit out of Spartan Ops, so they can see it as successful and continue creating episodic, story-based content. Halo 4 as a platform for delivering expanded fiction side-missions/stories? Hell yes. I'll lap every single bit up, multiplayer aside.

Fracas

#fuckonami
the frame rate issues in Reach are flat out embarrassing
I dont know why the fuck Asylum wasnt "fixed"

Out of all the flaws in matchmaking that were completely ignored by Bungie/343, it's up there.

Still, I think not fixing Zealot spawns (didn't someone here fix it in like, 10 minutes) is the worst of it. comeonson.gif

Tawpgun

So real talk.

What starter weapons are capable of 3 kills per mag in Halo 4? Is it just the DMR? Or is carbine/light rifle capable?

Woorloog

Banned
So real talk.

What starter weapons are capable of 3 kills per mag in Halo 4? Is it just the DMR? Or is carbine/light rifle capable?

None, AFAIK. The Carbine seems to have two kills per mag. The Light Rifle might be able to kill 3 people, assuming no misses and using the scope (since it is 4sk) but i'm not sure since i don't know just how large the magazine in it is.

EDIT yes, the Lightrifle can kill 3 people if using the scope, no misses.
Count the ammo, remember the scoped shot uses 3 rounds at per shot.
http://www.halopedia.org/images/b/b0/2821563-gallery.jpg

Top Bottom