• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT9| One Final Effort Is All That Remains

Enfinit

n78DG.jpg

Bah gawd, it's beautiful.

zethren

Banned
Haha, I don't think it really helped. ;)

Well, the screen on the right looks reminiscent of the metallic wall on the right side of the map in the Halo 3 version (not the side with the downed pelican). Still hard to tell, but that's what I got out of that image.

I bet we get a decent look at Ragnarok before the day is over. Or, at least I hope we will.

Edit* Not until the first of October:

Got to play the game earlier tonight, the game doesn't look like those screenshots but it looks better than previous games

Spartan ops was fun got to play two levels Land Grab and Sniper Alley with 4 other players

Also played the infection mode and lots of others on about 6 of the wargames maps.

Cant speak about a certain map and what's on it until the 1st of oct..aaagghhhh it was fun!!

Damn.

Gunnerdude

Neo Member
9b7F4.gif

You're the stupid looking Brute.

Such is the life of a Junior.

Sad that its not Waterworks, but my pipe dream will live on!

People need to learn how to take better pictures with crappy cameras... there are several things you can do to clear up that glare..... step one.... MOVE CLOSER TO THE TV! (then run before security catches you)

senador

Banned
What I find most interesting if that is indeed Valhalla is that judging from our very limited image sources, it kept the exact same aesthetic as the original.

What I find most interesting if that is indeed Valhalla is that judging from our very limited image sources, it kept the exact same aesthetic as the original.

That's something I'm glad to see. I wonder if Ragnorok is set on the Ark (or a Greater Ark?) or if it's somewhere on Requiem.

BigShow36

Name them? You're always at the mercy of your randoms, and any good competitive FPS is going to rely heavily on team work, which you never find in a game full of randoms.

Any good competitive FPS will reward teamwork, not rely exclusively on teamwork to even be fun; thats a recent Halo flaw, not a universal multiplayer flaw. In well-made FPS games, only in matches of approximately equal skill is teamwork the deciding factor. I can have fun going in alone in a lot of FPS because they allow me, as an individual player, to be effective even without the support of teammates. Sure, I may not win every game, but I can still feel like I played well and I can still have fun.

Just because recent Halo games hamstring individual players and force them to rely exclusively on teamshot doesn't mean every FPS does; the great ones allow individual players to be extremely effective.

Additionally, great FPS games allow a good player to work as a team with his mates even if they aren't aware of it. In CE, I would constantly be playing off of what my teammates were doing, even if they weren't aware of it. I could do so because individual were extremely potent in that game. That doesn't mean teamwork wasn't rewarded, it just means that teamwork wasn't the only way to be effective.

So thats how I have fun going in alone in multiplayer games. Sure, its not fun in 3 or Reach, but that doesn't mean it can't be fun in a well-designed game.

Nando13

Any chance you guys can release a patch for middle text?

HEADSHOT = DISPARO EN LA CABEZA

This, a over my screen... I can already feel how annoying it'll be.

I never thought of this... I think if you change your console location, multiplayer voice changes automatically to Steizer's voice. Text too.

Any good competitive FPS will reward teamwork, not rely exclusively on teamwork to even be fun; thats a recent Halo flaw, not a universal multiplayer flaw. In well-made FPS games, only in matches of approximately equal skill is teamwork the deciding factor. I can have fun going in alone in a lot of FPS because they allow me, as an individual player, to be effective even without the support of teammates. Sure, I may not win every game, but I can still feel like I played well and I can still have fun.

Just because recent Halo games hamstring individual players and force them to rely exclusively on teamshot doesn't mean every FPS does; the great ones allow individual players to be extremely effective.

Additionally, great FPS games allow a good player to work as a team with his mates even if they aren't aware of it. In CE, I would constantly be playing off of what my teammates were doing, even if they weren't aware of it. I could do so because individual were extremely potent in that game. That doesn't mean teamwork wasn't rewarded, it just means that teamwork wasn't the only way to be effective.

So thats how I have fun going in alone in multiplayer games. Sure, its not fun in 3 or Reach, but that doesn't mean it can't be fun in a well-designed game.
Can you name some of these so called well-designed games?

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Because there shouldn't be white text at all and we should be better without it.

"There shouldn't be any" is subjective and the last part doesn't even make sense.

You're not going to notice it while actually playing. It won't detract you from the game in any fashion, ever. Period.

Anybody bored and skilled who could swap out my forehead assassin symbol for a 343?

I'd love you eternally*.

(*terms and conditions subject to change without notice)

Edit: eh, maybe I'll ask later once I can hunt down my clean version of the avatar.

Here goes:

ivNaEa3IWJQ29.gif

In CE, I would constantly be playing off of what my teammates were doing, even if they weren't aware of it. I could do so because individual were extremely potent in that game. That doesn't mean teamwork wasn't rewarded, it just means that teamwork wasn't the only way to be effective.

I truly wish that the style of Halo 1's gunplay where one man can destroy a team of poorly coordinated pros will return one day.

http://youtu.be/yMMDlxYX6WQ?hd=1

So this is one of the best pieces of game marketing of all time, and it makes me extremely excited to see what 343/msoft cooks up for Halo 4's marketing campaign.

Shit will get me hyped like no other once it hits!

It really puts things into perspective when you realize that was just over 2 years ago :eek:

It's been 5 Long Years Master Chief. Can't wait to be reunited!

Vire

The middle screen is from the containment wall side of the map. You can see the wall there!

EMqyo.jpg

:)

Definitely the one.

It'll be interesting to see this map since it'll be the best direct comparison to graphical improvements from Halo 3.

"There shouldn't be any" is subjective and the last part doesn't even make sense.

You're not going to notice it while actually playing. It won't detract you from the game in any fashion, ever. Period.
They should just move it to the kill feed, just like in the past 10 years (it worked really well and kept your HUD from being cluttered).

I also noticed the kill feed was actually in after watching some random IGN vid, that's a few months after release and tons of footafe... bad UI design indeed.

Anyway, I'll see how this actually turns out once I get my hands on it :/

http://www.abload.de/img/fpupfmoru.gif[IMG]

I might be up for some H3 multiplayer or something this weekend, btw, just not Reach.

Oh, and Frankie? I'm not a begging man, but... [URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=guF4PXURK8Y&feature=relmfu"]Please sir, may I have some more?[/URL][/QUOTE]

What about reach customs? I've stopped playing MM.

Will invite you to hear your sexy voice.

http://www.abload.de/img/fpupfmoru.gif[IMG]

I might be up for some H3 multiplayer or something this weekend, btw, just not Reach.

Oh, and Frankie? I'm not a begging man, but... [URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=guF4PXURK8Y&feature=relmfu"]Please sir, may I have some more?[/URL][/QUOTE]

I thought I heard all the samples already, but I didn't hear this one. Really, really good.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
That would be nice, but I'd have no problem playing the PAX build again. Somehow I never managed to play Infinity Slayer or try out Longbow.

Hopefully enough 343 devs will be at NYCC for yet another GAF/343 humpday challenge. That CTF match on Exile was a damn good time.

I just wanna get in line to play over and over again lol

So is it blasphemy when I say it looks like Ragnarok will look a little to much like Valhalla visually? :lol

I just wanted something a little more moody, maybe a snowstorm at sunset on a glacial lake.

BigShow36

Can you name some of these so called well-designed games?

Halo CE
Counter Strike
Call of Duty 2

Are they perfect? No, but what they got right was that individual ability was allowed to flourish and be rewarded. With recent Halo games, players are forced into the most primitive instance of "teamwork" via teamshot just to have a chance of being effective. It's not deeper teamwork or better teamwork, it's just required to succeed. That doesn't make it better as a team game.

In great games, teamwork is just another skill that players must master and make their own; it's not the entire definition or deciding factor of success.

The reason I have more fun in CoD games than I have with recent Halo games is because I can play and be effective as an individual.

Noricart

I was scrolling through the posts and when I saw this I couldn't help giggling
ATLAS support for Halo 4 at launch or the near future?
If 343 can implement ATLAS, then I hope there will be a spectator application for PC or mobile devices, because all things considered, ATLAS seemed to be an excellent proof of concept, yet pretty drat stupid.
Edit: no one will see this.

Havok

You'd think Ragnarok will be unveiled in the bulletin tonight; what would the 6000 words be about if not that?
Complex, Flood mode, the recent press stuff, maybe a new weapons trailer? There's plenty for them to talk about. The last month or two has really made up for the dearth of information in the bulletin before.

Halo CE
Counter Strike
Call of Duty 2

Are they perfect? No, but what they got right was that individual ability was allowed to flourish and be rewarded. With recent Halo games, players are forced into the most primitive instance of "teamwork" via teamshot just to have a chance of being effective. It's not deeper teamwork or better teamwork, it's just required to succeed. That doesn't make it better as a team game.

In great games, teamwork is just another skill that players must master and make their own; it's not the entire definition or deciding factor of success.

The reason I have more fun in CoD games than I have with recent Halo games is because I can play and be effective as an individual.

You know.. Right when I think you can't dig yourself out of a hole, you usually manage to do so. Cleverly sneaky though how you flipped that ;]

Oh, top of page huh? K, brb.

Awww yeah.

*does the happy dance*

443650-fatness.gif

Top Bottom