• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT9| One Final Effort Is All That Remains

FyreWulff

How did vehicles in Halo 2 work? They always felt like just the right amount of "health" compared to H3 and Reach?

Halo 2 vehicles didn't blow up unless the driver died, even if you fired a rocket right at the hog, hence why a lot of trick videos you'll see everyone having overshields.

In Halo 3, they were still closely linked but it was still possible to have your vehicle blow up and you survive regardless of your health.

zap

Yeah, it just seems like a perfect fit for the Flood.. My other issue is the Flood HUD, I wish it were more minimal of not non existent... seeing the HUD stuff like shields and 'Energy Sword' just seems weird when you are this giant creature with a claw.

Your ankle looks very yellow.

Bad quote. bad.

I don't deserve that :(, unless you have Hemophobia, then I deserve it.

Actually wait... yes I do, most people on here don't like me because I'm a dick...

Remember self pity will always makes people like you way more!

You're from Essex? That sounds like blud shit to me. Guy at my work is from Essex and he uses the phrases 'you melt' and 'lunch' as in "There were a lot of lunches in there tonight". Lunch means prat/wanker/prick etc that sort of thing. Used completely without irony too.

You're the biggest lunch in here!

<3

I understand why you prefer 5SK for teamshooting but if you come across 2 people, then surely you should die quicker? I see why you want the player being shot to have the extra time to live, but ultimately it was never an issue in Halo 2/3 and actually when you take into account Sprint/ AA's/ Faster general movement, I would prefer a faster teamshot kill time.

I never said I preferred it or not, just offering a possible explanation. There are reasons to go either way.

According to the times when it is a 4sk there is little reason to add a third player into the equation (just extra room for error). It actually promotes less team work because the third player adds nothing to the equation in terms of kill times. And four players teamshotting a single person is too rare. Under the 5sk system you get an improvement of kill time of 2 seconds by adding a second player, and an improvement of kill time by 1 more second by adding a third player. Under the 4sk system you get an improvement of kill time of 2.5 seconds by adding a second player, and NO improvement of kill time by adding a third player.

I think most people can agree that adding additional players to a teamshot should be rewarded with faster kill times, but under the 4sk system a team does not get rewarded with faster kill time by adding a third player to the teamshot. A 5sk system actually works better for games in which focused teamshotting should be rewarded which is something I believe MLG is going for. In a 2v2 or a team game in which pairs are more appreciated than a full team effort a 4sk would be better.

So the real question comes down to this, are we in favor of people working in pairs more often than not (4sk), or the whole team working together more often than not (5sk)?

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Attention.
A lot of people from HaloGAF share a lot of random life stuff with the community. Maybe Talents just wanted to share this thing that happened to him because he thought it was interesting. The picture should have been linked and not embedded, tho.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
first page!
QTEGate.

As I have explained many times, the majority of interactive cutscenes are instructional, teach players that certain actions like mêlée work a certain way, are designed so that experienced players get entertainment out of tutorial moments and are largely confined to the first level.

Also amazeballs Spanish troll on live meristation show tonight in Madrid.

heckfu

Banned
A lot of people from HaloGAF share a lot of random life stuff with the community. Maybe Talents just wanted to share this thing that happened to him because he thought it was interesting. The picture should have been linked and not embedded, tho.

That's a fair compromise

Talents

Banned
Opps, sorry bout that.

But yeah, I didn't post it for attention, basically I posted it for the reason Kittens stated.

And yeah, Deadnames the reason I've been posting so much this week is because I've had next to nothing to do. My router has been constantly disconnecting so it's too frusturating to play online games, by probably Tuesday when the guy comes to fix it, I'll be back to mostly lurking mode.

zap

In my experience it's always been something more interesting or serious... not just "so I stood on a nail and bled onto the floor." But point taken.

QTEGate.

As I have explained many times, the majority of interactive cutscenes are instructional, teach players that certain actions like mêlée work a certain way, are designed so that experienced players get entertainment out of tutorial moments and are largely confined to the first level.

Can you skip them if you're playing through it again?

FyreWulff

bleedthrough irl

I stepped on a 2 inch nail once while we were messing around behind a closed apartment building. A neighbor man carried me 3 blocks back home with my mom freaking out. Needless to say I stopped playing around buildings after that

bleedthrough irl

I stepped on a 2 inch nail once while we were messing around behind a closed apartment building. A neighbor man carried me 3 blocks back home with my mom freaking out. Needless to say I stopped playing around buildings after that

How old were you? I remember learning not to stick paperclips in an outlet at a very young age.. ;b

Can you skip them if you're playing through it again?

Doubtful if they're all interactive sections required to progress in the story (ie: that ladder part I'm guessing).

QTEGate.

Is that event press only?

Will you guys be demoing the game to fans?

FyreWulff

How old were you? I remember learning not to stick paperclips in an outlet at a very young age.. ;b

This was in .. like.. 1992, 1993? So I was around 8/9. That was my first tetanus shot for an incident. Second one was someone letting their dog off a chain and it attacked me.. hence why none of the gore in RE4 will scare me but being jumped by the plagas dogs will :p

First time that happened I had to set down the controller and go for a walk because my hands stopped cooperating.

QTEGate.

Getting into videogames ruined these parts of games for me. You don't notice it when you just play games but after you've made a couple it's like "heh, I'm in the player training part right now"

JuanGGZ

Banned
QTEGate.

I'm not the sure the part in the elevator is very instructive for the next missions. But maybe I'm wrong.

Oh, Frank, what about a DLC for the campaign voices ? Just to be sure, multiplayer VO voice are always in for the PAL version like the previous games ?

heckfu

Banned
The leader of the PAX humpday didn't use this and donged. I have fufy as an eye witness.

"I'm donging near the flag."

"DOM'S DONGING NEAR THE FLAG."

I dont know who that guy is but he sounds like he helped out a lot as coach. Or maybe everyone is just making fun of him.

img_1371.jpg

Looks like I was lttp, also missed the questions thing.

It also looks like the event was a MS people thing.

I have not listened to the podcast yet, but that's similar to Halo 3's system. As the Warthog took damage, the driver's shield indicator would take damage. If you took enough damage, the vehicle would show visual damage on it, and the overall level of health it had left would drop. So when the shield recharged, the bar would have to be depleted fully again to kill the vehicle - but it would drop a bit faster since it had less overall heath than before.

In that way you got information about the vehicle in two ways: the health bar (if you are driving) told you how close to blowing up the vehicle was. And the visual state of damage told you whether it would take a long or short time to whittle that health down. It worked great.

I knew a new, shiny vehicle would not blow up from a plasma stick, but that once the driver recovered and came back for a second pass - the second stick would do it.

So the question I have for 343 is whether that is still the case. I've seen footage of someone driving a Ghost and blowing up when his shield was still at 40% or so - and he was just taking damage from a Warthog. If that's the case, then it's a very, very bad thing and none of the very serious problems the Reach health model introduced have been addressed.
I meant to say it sounds needlessly complicated without the link to player health. I had a hard time telling how much health my vehicle had left despite the visual indicators. We don't even get any sort of indicator. If player health and vehicle health are decoupled, I worry about the vehicle encounters across all gametypes, but especially campaign. So many vehicle moments, even if they approach the scale of Halo 3, could fail to meet the same quality bar because of the system in place. It's one of the reasons I find it hard to pinpoint standout vehicle encounters in Reach's campaign.

I can't believe it's one month before release and we still don't have clarification on this. :/
QTEGate.

That's good to hear.

Moa

Well I've had a great hour just then.

Playing some Firefight and this guy flies up to me and tries to shoot me into a barrier, so I constantly shot him and shot him and shot him, multiple times until he died from falling into said barrier.

He ended up dying 23 times, most of which were from me.

Before the game ended, he invited me to a party, so I invited him to join my party instead and instantly I was told I was a camper & bad because I camp at Inheritor.

Problem is, the kid was only 10 years old (he even said himself he was 10 years old!) and my god, the insults he was coming out with was amazing.

Although, the greatest part about it was, I could guess pretty much everything about him!

He watched Yogscast, he plays Minecraft, he has an iPod Touch w/ a camera, he has a Blackberry phone, his parents bought Reach for him, his parents have already pre-ordered Halo 4 for him, and he has to be in bed by ten o'clock on school nights, although, he was telling me on weekends, he is a badass and stays up all night watching YouTube videos.

I was crying of laughter, he also kept calling me a 'bugger', not as in a Halo buggers, but the insult word for it (commonly used in the UK).

I asked him what it meant, and of course, he didn't know, or at least he said "I don't want to say because I can't be arsed."

Ladies & gentleman, this is our future generation of children.

Ryaaan14

Banned
Well I've had a great hour just then.

Playing some Firefight and this guy flies up to me and tries to shoot me into a barrier, so I constantly shot him and shot him and shot him, multiple times until he died from falling into said barrier.

He ended up dying 23 times, most of which were from me.

Before the game ended, he invited me to a party, so I invited him to join my party instead and instantly I was told I was a camper & bad because I camp at Inheritor.

Problem is, the kid was only 10 years old (he even said himself he was 10 years old!) and my god, the insults he was coming out with was amazing.

Although, the greatest part about it was, I could guess pretty much everything about him!

He watched Yogscast, he plays Minecraft, he has an iPod Touch w/ a camera, he has a Blackberry phone, his parents bought Reach for him, his parents have already pre-ordered Halo 4 for him, and he has to be in bed by ten o'clock on school nights, although, he was telling me on weekends, he is a badass and stays up all night watching YouTube videos.

I was crying of laughter, he also kept calling me a 'bugger', not as in a Halo buggers, but the insult word for it (commonly used in the UK).

I asked him what it meant, and of course, he didn't know, or at least he said "I don't want to say because I can't be arsed."

Ladies & gentleman, this is our future generation of children.

So, you're making fun of a 10 year old for acting and living like a 10 year old?

QTEGate.

So it's only on the first level is what your saying?

QTEGate.

I'm curious if these tutorial bits are changed on Heroic or above. CE gave you grenades at the end of PoA on Normal, but kept them as regular drops on Heroic/Legendary.

Still, it's comforting that it's mostly confined.

So, you're making fun of a 10 year old for acting and living like a 10 year old?

I think it was more about the generation than the actual kid lol

-EDIT-

^Yup.

Not to mention the yogscast minecraft deal.

Ugh. I can't stand the sound of a little kid with an English accent saying "THIS IS MUY MINECWUFT WUWLD". Nothing against the accent, but when placed with a squeaky voice...

consider my gears grinded.

That actually sounds like it might be adorable :x

Top Bottom