• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT9| One Final Effort Is All That Remains

GhaleonEB

What?
Halo 3 vehicles had health? I always thought they were purely depended on the player's shields, the visual damage being just that, visual.
I'm pretty sure vehicle health was tied to player health, but they got easier to toast as they took damage. In my experience, I would regularly blow up a Warthog with a plasma grenade that was damaged and making a second pass - even though the driver had time to recover - where the first stick would not do it.

So that's how I've always understood the system. Maybe I have it wrong - I wouldn't be surprised.

But the bottom line was, the health it had left was always tied to the player/driver health, as you said. The vehicle didn't blow up until that meter was depleted. Reach de-coupled that. So what I really want to know is, does Halo 4 keep the link (Halo 3) or keep it broken (Reach). There's really not an in between there. I'm hoping to figure out which when I listen to the podcast.

Found it in the covenant weapon bulletin: Chris says regarding the Carbine, "Mathematically, this is the most lethal long-range rifle in the game in a one-on-one encounter. It fires extremely fast – double the rate of the other rifles. But it doesn’t have the range of the DMR or LightRifle, and each individual shot is relatively weak. A player that can land the bulk of their shots and manage their ammo well can be extremely successful with it, though. Because of its headshot capability, it is also a great weapon for playing cleanup with teammates (have them drop opponent shields and then score the headshot). I love using this weapon but I can only use it in short bursts. The firing rate is so fast, it makes my fingers tired after a while!"

I'm pretty sure vehicle health was tied to player health, but they got easier to toast as they took damage. In my experience, I would regularly blow up a Warthog with a plasma grenade that was damaged and making a second pass - even though the driver had time to recover - where the first stick would not do it.

So that's how I've always understood the system. Maybe I have it wrong - I wouldn't be surprised.

But the bottom line was, the health it had left was always tied to the player/driver health, as you said. The vehicle didn't blow up until that meter was depleted. Reach de-coupled that. So what I really want to know is, does Halo 4 keep the link (Halo 3) or keep it broken (Reach). There's really not an in between there. I'm hoping to figure out which when I listen to the podcast.
How did vehicles in Halo 2 work? They always felt like just the right amount of "health" compared to H3 and Reach?

IHaveIce

Banned
We don't know anything other than what was showed of it. It is forerunner in theme and looks more or less like Forge World from Reach. I would assume that the other spaces would be Human and Covenant themed.

speaking of Covenant themed, I really hope we have one as launch map.

I have the feeling all maps till now share some art style.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6rPEXGuqzM

I think it's kind of funny that the FUD cadet's getups are closer in style and appearance to classic Halo armor than anything we've seen visually in Halo 4. Still wondering about the Mk V-ish armor for Fred and Kelly, though...

Eh, the armor they wear really looks off. It all has a cosplay look, but maybe thats just for the cadets.. As for Fred and Kellys armor.. I actually liked what we saw a lot more than what MC has. The Package look just doesn't translate well to film at all, he looks very parody-ish.

So weird that the humans are forced into an ugly lime-green color this time around. Just let us have our own colors, haha. Also, why don't humans use Promethean weapons as they were made to fight the flood?

Also, Complex is fucking beautiful.

Vire

There's still this map yet to be shown:

vLE8c.png

Unless it got nixed or is now a different level.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Well, I cancelled my LE pre-order and put the standard edition on hold at a place closer to my new house (!). They're not doing a midnight launch, but they open at 7am, which is probably better for my sleep schedule anyways, haha.

So after lugging my gaming equipment between both parents' houses, I've come to the conclusion that I need two setups.
I really want the Halo 360 but 300$ plus the Limited edition is a big expense, plus a new monitor. And possibly a headset.
Or do I purchase a cheaper refurbished Xbox... le sigh.
Do I cancel Limited and purchase console + season pass...
Decisions, decisions. Any recommendations or know any deals going on?

There's still this map yet to be shown:

vLE8c.png

Unless it got nixed or is now a different level.

Part of me still wonders if thats an early version of Longbow, but it likely is one of the new maps. Just judging by that it seems to be pretty big, so it may even be the huge map. Weird that it made a quick appearance a while ago with nothing else to be seen yet.

Guardian and Pit would work if you made the scale of the map larger.
Pit, I think would work.

I still think the layout of Guardian makes it a mess for H4's mechanics and abilities even if you enlarge it.
So weird that the humans are forced into an ugly lime-green color this time around. Just let us have our own colors, haha. Also, why don't humans use Promethean weapons as they were made to fight the flood?

Also, Complex is fucking beautiful.

Yeah, that's a disappointment for me. We have sandbox weapons that were specifically designed to fight the flood and they aren't used in the Flood gametype. Very odd, seems like an easy decision.

heckfu

Banned
Wtf, there's no point in that picture. No person who has induced trauma is a) going to put that much pressure on it or b) take 50 steps in the same area including dragging it around unless they just REALLY want attention.

If that's serious, though, go get a tetanus shot if you aren't up to date.

The Flood wont be out of this franchise forever but my guess is that they have been retired because they had moved from Scary monsters (halo 1) to Brown Cannon Fodder (Halo 3) Bringing them back with a new look and a return to the almost "aliens" horror vibe from Halo 1 would be a fantastic direction, Having a 4 way war kicking of a trilogy is like starting the Star Wars Saga with ESB, Only was to go is down because if you escalate the scales further its going to move past "epic" into "stupid" or too convoluted.

The weapons now still have a place in canon, They are made to destroy the flood (and/or potential hosts) so they still have a reason to exist

Talents

Banned
Wtf, there's no point in that picture. No person who has induced trauma is a) going to put that much pressure on it or b) take 50 steps in the same area including dragging it around.

I was trying to find a plaster/bandage, I have no idea where the medical stuff is kept in the house, thought it'd be in the bathroom, but nooooo it's in the kitchen...

Yes I was serious -.- I'm not just going to cut my foot, but yeah, I have got a tentanus shot.

Moa

Not really sure. The Flood games I've seen show medals, which the PAX build didn't.

Even so, that seems like a design decision for the gametype.

I would wait until they full on announce it, the flood arm when you spawn, does the 'activate' animation of a Sword, and it still shows the sword on the HUD, I assume it is an older build.

Wtf, there's no point in that picture. No person who has induced trauma is a) going to put that much pressure on it or b) take 50 steps in the same area including dragging it around unless they just REALLY want attention.

If that's serious, though, go get a tetanus shot if you aren't up to date.

When i sliced my foot open I jumped around a bit and Then applied all the pressure i could with the nearest sock before fainting for a second due to shock? and then ringing the GF to take me to hospital, My kitchen floor looked similar to that

Oi bruv, don't disrespect me like that wasteman or I'll cut you up! Get mah mandem on you and knock ya block off. I come ere to kotch blud, don't make me knock you bruv ting, im built like a brick shit house.

You're from Essex? That sounds like blud shit to me. Guy at my work is from Essex and he uses the phrases 'you melt' and 'lunch' as in "There were a lot of lunches in there tonight". Lunch means prat/wanker/prick etc that sort of thing. Used completely without irony too.

Here is the "chart" for my explanation above. lol...

4 Shot Kill Guns (1.25 second Rate of Fire)
1 player = 5.00 Seconds; 4 potential shots per player; 0 shot room for error
2 players = 2.50 Seconds; 2 potential shots per player; 0 shot room for error
3 players = 2.50 Seconds; 2 potential shots per player; 2 shot room for error
4 players = 1.25 Seconds; 1 potential shot per player; 0 shot room for error
5 players = 1.25 Seconds; 1 potential shot per player; 1 shot room for error

5 Shot Kill Guns (1.00 second Rate of Fire)
1 player = 5.00 Seconds; 5 potential shots per player; 0 shot room for error
2 players = 3.00 Seconds; 3 potential shots per player; 1 shot room for error
3 players = 2.00 Seconds; 2 potential shots per player; 1 shot room for error
4 players = 2.00 Seconds; 2 potential shots per player; 3 shot room for error
5 players = 1.00 Seconds; 1 potential shot per player; 0 shot room for error

I understand why you prefer 5SK for teamshooting but if you come across 2 people, then surely you should die quicker? I see why you want the player being shot to have the extra time to live, but ultimately it was never an issue in Halo 2/3 and actually when you take into account Sprint/ AA's/ Faster general movement, I would prefer a faster teamshot kill time.

Enfinit

ha, hit me up on xbl

our trueskill will be mad different but we can try
(all dlc required)

were gunna need 40 minutes per game

maybe this weekend?

I know the boosting method all too well. I think my TrueSkill's at 19? Either way, I'm outta town until Sunday evening. :(

I would wait until they full on announce it, the flood arm when you spawn, does the 'activate' animation of a Sword, and it still shows the sword on the HUD, I assume it is an older build.

I assume that's not going to change, all that is a re-skinned weapon, similar to the golf club in Halo 3.

The weapons could easily be changed, and hopefully they considering using the Forerunner weapons.

I don't deserve that :(, unless you have Hemophobia, then I deserve it.

Actually wait... yes I do, most people on here don't like me because I'm a dick...

Didn't you say that yesterday and the day before? What martial art do you do?

He is an expert in the ancient art of going H.A.M.

Yeah, that's a disappointment for me. We have sandbox weapons that were specifically designed to fight the flood and they aren't used in the Flood gametype. Very odd, seems like an easy decision.

Yeah, it just seems like a perfect fit for the Flood.. My other issue is the Flood HUD, I wish it were more minimal of not non existent... seeing the HUD stuff like shields and 'Energy Sword' just seems weird when you are this giant creature with a claw.

mygoddamnfoot.jpg

I just stood on a god damn nail...

Your ankle looks very yellow.

Top Bottom