• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT9| One Final Effort Is All That Remains

So the DMR has less bloom/aim assist from Halo Reach according to the Sparkcast
MLG pro/tryhard weapon of choice CONFIRMED
Everyone at the end of MLG Dallas will be using Light Rifle by the end of the weekend.
I really hope that their is some variety amongst what the pro players prefer, but I doubt it. The Light Rifle seems so good in scope, but hopefully the delay to get scoped and the spread when un-scoped will drop it back to the same level as the DMR/BR.

Sounds needlessly complicated. :/
I think of it as: the hood will get blown off at say 75% health. If the hog takes some more shots it could drop down to 68%, but as long as no other "damage buckets" of HP get knocked off it (like a door, or the armor on the turret) it will recharge back up to 75%.

That was one of the reasons, they go into it more in the podcast.

Go listen to it.

I did. The public reason and the personal reason can be two different things though.

I mean, do you accept "no space for Mk.V armor" as a valid excuse? To me that's just something to feed the public.

I'm not exactly sure what you are expecting them to explain.

'It felt like you died too fast, you'd melt instantly under any sort of teamshot, so we changed it.'

So why 5 shots to kill? Why not 4 with a slower RoF.

They started explaining it and then the conversation changed. The cadence/ rythm of a 4 shot kill with a slower RoF is something I would have preffered and something they had integrated, until they made every gun one more shot to kill realizing it was too fast paced.

So again, why 1 more shot to kill rather than just a slower RoF?

The teamshot thing feels like a weird reason considering you should die fast if your getting teamshot...

Overdoziz

Banned
1SUf1.jpg

heckfu

Banned

They started explaining it and then the conversation changed. The cadence/ rythm of a 4 shot kill with a slower RoF is something I would have preffered and something they had integrated, until they made every gun one more shot to kill realizing it was too fast paced.

The teamshot thing feels like a weird reason considering you should die fast if your getting teamshot...

This isn't me being contrary to be contrary, I just don't understand the difference in a faster shot/more bullet kill vs. the slower rate/less bullets. They seem similar enough to me unless the only difference is magazine size.

Karl2177

Frank/Ellis/Cocop/Kiki: Since the LE OST got delayed, will those of us that purchased it get a digital download the day that it goes up for non-LE purchasers?

This isn't me being contrary to be contrary, I just don't understand the difference in a faster shot/more bullet kill vs. the slower rate/less bullets. They seem similar enough to me unless the only difference is magazine size.

Magazine size/ cadence, rhythm/ less bullets need to register in laggy games/ that classic feel.

I dont know, I just feel like a 4 shot kill has a nice feel to it, 5 shots seems more 'spammy'. I just wonder why they changed it from 4 to 5 rather than change the RoF.

I'm confused... what is it...

I figured it may just be your street considering he found out your name lol.

willow ve

Not necessarily. Yes they could tweak the ROF for individual guns, but that doesn't affect team shot in the same way that 4SK vs 5SK affects team shots.

Example (working from home = boredom = HaloGAF examples). Numbers below are made up to make it more simple to understand.

4 Shot Kill Guns (1.25 second Rate of Fire)
4 Shots = 5 Seconds from a single player
4 Shots = 2.5 Seconds when 2 players are firing on the same enemy
4 Shots = 1.25 Seconds if all 4 players on one team are firing on the same enemy

5 Shot Kill Guns (1 second Rate of Fire)
5 Shots = 5 Seconds from a single player
5 Shots = 3 Seconds when 2 players are firing on the same enemy
5 Shots = 2 seconds if all 4 players on one team are firing on the same enemy

In this example both the 4 Shot Kill and the 5 Shot Kill have the exact same total kill time in a one on one battle, but the vary quite a bit when team shot is included. In this way they can keep the guns firing at a faster rate, but you won't get absolutely "melted" by a good team shot. It will still hold a distinct advantage over a 1v1 scenario, but it won't be as crazy. Also 5 Shot Kill seems to provide a higher skill gap as you need to land all 5 shots to get the kill (which will be harder with the speed/strafe/and abilities in 4).

Zoolader

So Valhalla is making a comeback? So hyped right now!!!!! Just show me Guardian or forge pieces for Guardian and this game is already 100x better than Reach.

Magazine size/ cadence, rhythm/ less bullets need to register in laggy games/ that classic feel.

I dont know, I just feel like a 4 shot kill has a nice feel to it, 5 shots seems more 'spammy'. I just wonder why they changed it from 4 to 5 rather than change the RoF.

I figured it may just be your street considering he found out your name lol.

Making it 5 shots rather than 4 shots actually means that in a 1v1 you need to be consistent with your shots by hitting 5 consecutively rather than 4.

It also means that teamshotting takes an additional hit in extreme circumstances, but most of the time allows for a bit of room for error. If you are teamshotting with two people it takes the equivalent of 3 shots with room for one of the two people to miss a single shot in that time rather than 2 shots time with no room for error. When you involve three people team shotting it takes the time of two shots with room for 1 shot error rather than two shots with room for 2 shot error. And when you involve all four people it takes 2 shots with room for 3 shot error rather than 1 shot with no room for error.

It is a very minor difference, but it allows a team just a wee bit more breathing room in terms of one person missing a shot while also ensuring that there is a minimum amount of reaction time for the recipient when being teamshot. A strong pair that walked around in could easily wipe the floor under a 4sk system rather than a 5sk system as it only takes 2 shots per person. 5sk means that the recipient has two shots to react before getting hit by a third shot of death. 5sk also promotes more full teamwork (3 people or more) rather than just running around in pairs as it takes 5 shot time on your own, 3 shot time in a pair, 2 shot time with three people, 2 shot time with four people, and 1 shot time with five people (objective). 4sk takes 4 shot time on your own, 2 shot time in a pair, 2 shot time with three people, 1 shot time with four people, and 1 shot time with 5 people.

There is more distinguishment and variance between 1-3 people under a 5sk system than there is with 1-3 people under a 4sk system. Because it is rare that you will get all four or five people of your team hitting one person. The system promotes people to work with two other people rather than just one other person and hence enforces more teamwork. Does that make sense?

EDIT:

What he said, I just stream of conscious it and cover it from a couple of angles for redundancy which is important for learning. :) lol... and he has a nice little list going that I was too lazy to do.

Not necessarily. Yes they could tweak the ROF for individual guns, but that doesn't affect team shot in the same way that 4SK vs 5SK affects team shots.

Example (working from home = boredom = HaloGAF examples). Numbers below are made up to make it more simple to understand.

4 Shots = 5 Seconds from a single player
4 Shots = 2.5 Seconds when 2 players are firing on the same enemy
4 Shots = 1.25 Seconds if all 4 players on one team are firing on the same enemy

5 Shot Kill Guns (1 second Rate of Fire)
5 Shots = 5 Seconds from a single player
5 Shots = 3 Seconds when 2 players are firing on the same enemy
5 Shots = 2 seconds if all 4 players on one team are firing on the same enemy

In this example both the 4 Shot Kill and the 5 Shot Kill have the exact same total kill time in a one on one battle, but the vary quite a bit when team shot is included. In this way they can keep the guns firing at a faster rate, but you won't get absolutely "melted" by a good team shot. It will still hold a distinct advantage over a 1v1 scenario, but it won't be as crazy. Also 5 Shot Kill seems to provide a higher skill gap as you need to land all 5 shots to get the kill (which will be harder with the speed/strafe/and abilities in 4).

Making it 5 shots rather than 4 shots actually means that in a 1v1 you need to be consistent with your shots by hitting 5 consecutively rather than 4.

It also means that teamshotting takes an additional hit in extreme circumstances, but most of the time allows for a bit of room for error. If you are teamshotting with two people it takes the equivalent of 3 shots

Halo 4 half as powerful as Halo 1 confirmed.

Yeah it really does look like its a lot better than the human pistol at least. PP still has its unique role, but I wonder why anyone would pick the Pistol over the Boltshot?
Ability to zoom.
So without playing the game. I know my load out will be
primary: Light Rifle
secondary: Boltshot
AA: Thruster
The other mods will be based off game type.
What does everybody else intend on using?
DMR
Storm Rifle
Frags
Thruster
Firepower
Dexterity
So Valhalla is making a comeback? So hyped right now!!!!! Just show me Guardian or forge pieces for Guardian and this game is already 100x better than Reach.

Guardian would be an awful mess in Halo 4. Way too small and cramped.

Yeah, I'm not a fan of having separate vehicle health especially when it's not explicitly shown anywhere on the HUD and you only get a ballpark idea with the damage. Though with vehicle destruction I always ended up feeling cheated anyway, I finally take down some vehicular onslaught and all I get to return the favour is a pile of scrap.

***Snip***

Here is the "chart" for my explanation above. lol...

1 player = 5.00 Seconds; 4 potential shots per player; 0 shot room for error
2 players = 2.50 Seconds; 2 potential shots per player; 0 shot room for error
3 players = 2.50 Seconds; 2 potential shots per player; 2 shot room for error
4 players = 1.25 Seconds; 1 potential shot per player; 0 shot room for error
5 players = 1.25 Seconds; 1 potential shot per player; 1 shot room for error

5 Shot Kill Guns (1.00 second Rate of Fire)
1 player = 5.00 Seconds; 5 potential shots per player; 0 shot room for error
2 players = 3.00 Seconds; 3 potential shots per player; 1 shot room for error
3 players = 2.00 Seconds; 2 potential shots per player; 1 shot room for error
4 players = 2.00 Seconds; 2 potential shots per player; 3 shot room for error
5 players = 1.00 Seconds; 1 potential shot per player; 0 shot room for error

Talents

Banned
Fwingy Please

.................................................................................................................................

Your name matches what you do.

Don't judge me on that name, when I made the youtube name, I literally just typed randomly on my keyboard and that came up. Basically I just did this 'ajgsehgasjh'

Cute house Talents.

I thought H4 had similar kill times as previous halos, especially 3.

goku-ssj-transformation-face.jpg

It's not my god damn house!

Yeah, I'm not a fan of having separate vehicle health especially when it's not explicitly shown anywhere on the HUD and you only get a ballpark idea with the damage. Though with vehicle destruction I always ended up feeling cheated anyway, I finally take down some vehicular onslaught and all I get to return the favour is a pile of scrap.

Well to be fair, I think Bungie wanted to show the vehicle's health through how it looks. If a Warthog is on fire and flashing red, it's time to get out..

..unless you're like me with a flaming head, then you're Ghost Rider ;]
<--The ridiculous things I think about when I play lol

-EDIT-

lmfao Talents, that green garage door is totally psychedelic!

.................................................................................................................................

Your name matches what you do.

Don't judge me on that name, when I made the youtube name, I literally just typed randomly on my keyboard and that came up. Basically I just did this 'ajgsehgasjh'

Already Judged

dredd_510.jpg

Woorloog

Banned
Well to be fair, I think Bungie wanted to show the vehicle's health through how it looks. If a Warthog is on fire and flashing red, it's time to get out..

Doesn't work. I've had not so damaged looking Warthog to blow up and i've had a Warthog flashing red to stay alive long. At least it feels like that.
Aesthetics shouldn't be indicative of health, we need a vehicle health meter, under the shield bar, i guess.

GhaleonEB

I have not listened to the podcast yet, but that's similar to Halo 3's system. As the Warthog took damage, the driver's shield indicator would take damage. If you took enough damage, the vehicle would show visual damage on it, and the overall level of health it had left would drop. So when the shield recharged, the bar would have to be depleted fully again to kill the vehicle - but it would drop a bit faster since it had less overall heath than before.

In that way you got information about the vehicle in two ways: the health bar (if you are driving) told you how close to blowing up the vehicle was. And the visual state of damage told you whether it would take a long or short time to whittle that health down. It worked great.

I knew a new, shiny vehicle would not blow up from a plasma stick, but that once the driver recovered and came back for a second pass - the second stick would do it.

So the question I have for 343 is whether that is still the case. I've seen footage of someone driving a Ghost and blowing up when his shield was still at 40% or so - and he was just taking damage from a Warthog. If that's the case, then it's a very, very bad thing and none of the very serious problems the Reach health model introduced have been addressed.

willow ve

Here is the "chart" for my explanation above. lol...

1 player = 5.00 Seconds; 4 potential shots per player; 0 shot room for error
2 players = 2.50 Seconds; 2 potential shots per player; 0 shot room for error
3 players = 2.50 Seconds; 2 potential shots per player; 2 shot room for error
4 players = 1.25 Seconds; 1 potential shot per player; 0 shot room for error
5 players = 1.25 Seconds; 1 potential shot per player; 1 shot room for error

5 Shot Kill Guns (1.00 second Rate of Fire)
1 player = 5.00 Seconds; 5 potential shots per player; 0 shot room for error
2 players = 3.00 Seconds; 3 potential shots per player; 1 shot room for error
3 players = 2.00 Seconds; 2 potential shots per player; 1 shot room for error
4 players = 2.00 Seconds; 2 potential shots per player; 3 shot room for error
5 players = 1.00 Seconds; 1 potential shot per player; 0 shot room for error

We all know the only errors come from bad netcode and host advantage though... right? Cause we all hit every shot 100%
glad to see we're on the same track with our justification explanation of the new 5 Shot Kill

So, we have three maps yet to be revealed, one is known to be huge.. What is everyone's guesses on the other ones? One more medium-small, one more medium-large? Im hoping that one or two of the remaining feel unique.. Obviously they need to play good also, but I want to see something fun and surprising. I would honestly like to see 343 try something that Halo hasn't done before in map design, make something different.

On another note, I still want to see Waterworks and The Pit get remakes. Well, maybe The Pit can be done well in Forge.

Doesn't work. I've had not so damaged looking Warthog to blow up and i've had a Warthog flashing red to stay alive long. At least it feels like that.
Aesthetics shouldn't be indicative of health, we need a vehicle health meter, under the shield bar, i guess.

True, I've had that happen to me too.. We definitely need both of these:

15xaiv8.png

Showing our gunner's and passenger's shield (would've been more useful in Reach)

0.jpg

Vehicle health meter

So, we have three maps yet to be revealed, one is known to be huge.. What is everyone's guesses on the other ones? One more medium-small, one more medium-large? Im hoping that one or two of the remaining feel unique.. Obviously they need to play good also, but I want to see something fun and surprising. I would honestly like to see 343 try something that Halo hasn't done before in map design, make something different.

On another note, I still want to see Waterworks and The Pit get remakes. Well, maybe The Pit can be done well in Forge.

Pretty likely. Which reminds me, I'd love to see those other two Forge spaces!

Woorloog

Banned
I have not listened to the podcast yet, but that's similar to Halo 3's system. As the Warthog took damage, the driver's shield indicator would take damage. If you took enough damage, the vehicle would show visual damage on it, and the overall level of health it had left would drop. So when the shield recharged, the bar would have to be depleted fully again to kill the vehicle - but it would drop a bit faster since it had less overall heath than before.

In that way you got information about the vehicle in two ways: the health bar (if you are driving) told you how close to blowing up the vehicle was. And the visual state of damage told you whether it would take a long or short time to whittle that health down. It worked great.

I knew a new, shiny vehicle would not blow up from a plasma stick, but that once the driver recovered and came back for a second pass - the second stick would do it.
What?
Halo 3 vehicles had health? I always thought they were purely depended on the player's shields, the visual damage being just that, visual.

If the health system works like Reach's in practice, BTB is going to be just as shitty as in Reach, i think.
Well, better maps will make it automatically better but good map design doesn't fix bad gameplay.

I think Reach-style vehicle health could work for small, 4v4/5v5 games where there is may be one or two vehicles at most in play (think Standoff, if the Hogs were more easily destroyable (ignoring the Laser), it would be far harder to dominate with one).

Woorloog

Banned
Guardian and Pit would work if you made the scale of the map larger.

We've seen people reacting to enlargened maps. Blackout and Reflection (it is larger than Ivory Tower, all the hallways are wider etc).
Of course Halo 4 game mechanics may accomondate this. But i wouldn't put my hopes on that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6rPEXGuqzM

I think it's kind of funny that the FUD cadet's getups are closer in style and appearance to classic Halo armor than anything we've seen visually in Halo 4. Still wondering about the Mk V-ish armor for Fred and Kelly, though...

The armor in the series is older armor. Halo 4 is post-war, with new armor with new aesthetics.

Top Bottom