• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach Beta Thread

GhaleonEB

Hydranockz said:
If DipSwitch would edit his post again you would know it is going on till Thursday ;)
Or read the top of the OP. :p

I'll be on with my kid in just a bit, but I'll like to join you guys if anyone is still on 90 minutes from now.

GhaleonEB said:
Or read the top of the OP. :p

I'll be on with my kid in just a bit, but I'll like to join you guys if anyone is still on 90 minutes from now.
Ah yes, the OP indeed.

Wish I could play with ye but it'll be past 3am then :p

Deadly

Hydranockz said:
If DipSwitch would edit his post again you would know it is going on till Thursday ;)
Yeah my bad missed on that. More Reach for us all it is!:D Though I have to say it seems that alot of the really good players have migrated over from Arena and I'm getting owned pretty bad in some games :lol

Deadly said:
Yeah my bad missed on that. More Reach for us all it is!:D Though I have to say it seems that alot of the really good players have migrated over from Arena and I'm getting owned pretty bad in some games :lol
Actually yeah, good point sir! Invasion is always good to have fun with though. Find easy opponents and hope they stay in your party afterwards.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
EazyB said:
I was with you until the Kool and the Gang reference.

FR sent :p

Lol, I quote Pulp Fiction too much.

And no you haven't sent a FR because my list is full. Time to find someone to remove, I hate this. K sent.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Boyz_II_Men_soul_R_and_B_trio.jpg

its so hard... to say goodbye...

here is the last of my photos.

4619944953_4b957978e8_b.jpg

^ really wish the grainy damage filter didnt effect all camera angles in theater

4620557368_70f5040cea_b.jpg

^ok, sometimes the grainy-ness makes for cool pictures

4619944041_46a2eeea8a_b.jpg

4620556556_a15f77ba5a_b.jpg

stealing a kill... wish i had seen the clipping before snapping this pic though

4620556332_402820350a_b.jpg

the gunner almost looks ripped from concept art

Kibbles

Dipswitch said:
Stiq of Joy reporting that the Reach Beta has been extended through Thursday, 5/20 @10am PST
Good to hear, I was afraid I wouldn't get to play tomorrow and I've been pretty busy tonight.

One thing I'd like to see that I've never seen mentioned is making the rank insignias clearer. I can't tell what the ranks are without looking at the person's profile.

GhaleonEB

Major Williams said:
Where'd you go Ghaleon?
I thought I was joining a smaller party than I was - I was in the mood for Grab Bag. I really hate Invasion Slayer and don't care for Invasion at all. Got donged on for five minutes and had enough; playing as Elites on Invasion Slayer is just a terrible experience. Sorry to bail on everyone, I just couldn't roll with it tonight.

Watched a show and the election results instead.
Ajemsuhgao said:
Well, I hate it, see.

2lk8r2e.jpg

Randomly decided to pick this up again. Really, this should have been done in less than a day, but I'm lazy when I'm not working on something important :lol

GhaleonEB said:
I thought I was joining a smaller party than I was - I was in the mood for Grab Bag. I really hate Invasion Slayer and don't care for Invasion at all. Got donged on for five minutes and had enough; playing as Elites on Invasion Slayer is just a terrible experience. Sorry to bail on everyone, I just couldn't roll with it tonight.

Watched a show and the election results instead.

How so?

I've sure this has been said countless times, but how is there not an awesome flag assassination animation? You should be able to plant a flag into an unsuspecting fool's back. Urk, I trust that you will personally correct this oversight.

15 game win streak in Invasion seems like a good way to end the beta. Hopefully I get to keep the movies in the theater.

The Elites are at a disadvantage in the final stage, just because the Spartans can camp with shotguns around the core. I would take a cue from Zanzibar and let the Elites open a big door or something, just to open up that space and give the Elites a chance to move.

Tashi

pringles said:
So you were beating up on noobs in grab bag and get upset because you finally ran into some decent players? :lol

No. Well, Pistola is more than decent. I love the competition. If I could only play against pros I would. The problem is that the stock slayer playlists don't suit competitive play that well at all. In my opinion at least. Slayer Pro in Arena doesn't even cut it for me. And honestly I'm a little worried about this for final release. It's nothing that can't be tweaked though.

Vanilla

1881_MEDIUM.jpg

pringles

Tashi0106 said:
No. Well, Pistola is more than decent. I love the competition. If I could only play against pros I would. The problem is that the stock slayer playlists don't suit competitive play that well at all. In my opinion at least. Slayer Pro in Arena doesn't even cut it for me. And honestly I'm a little worried about this for final release. It's nothing that can't be tweaked though.

Vanilla

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1881/images/1881_MEDIUM.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
I just find it funny caring about a win streak in GRAB BAG when you're 1. playing shit like stockpile, SvE slayer etc. 2. going in as a team of 4 and getting matched up against randoms.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
cFN2N.jpg

Aw yeah. Even though the last game played was on the 14th. :)

Oh yeah and I swear MLG settings for this game are gonna blow, "nothing but sprint". That's all I was hearing the whiny mlg type kids say when they were playing anything that wasn't Slayer Pro. Fucking with mah sandbox. >(

ManCannon said:
FYI the Reach Beta will be officially ending at 10AM PDT on Thursday 5/20. Stats and films will persist for a little while beyond that and then will eventually be wiped. We'll confirm that date in advance and offer plenty of warning beforehand.
Awesome, I'll be on tonight for a couple of hours then, was far too tired last night to do much else than watch TV.

EazyB

Banned
pringles said:
I just find it funny caring about a win streak in GRAB BAG when you're 1. playing shit like stockpile, SvE slayer etc. 2. going in as a team of 4 and getting matched up against randoms.
Cause a triple digit winning streak would have been fucking awesome. I've never tried to hide the fact that most of the games were blowouts against scrubs.

I have zero fun playing this game competitively, the game mechanics just don't hold up for that kind of play. Donging on scrubs lets me just goof around with less frustration. It's like challenging yourself to run through a campaign level on heroic with only melees. Winning becomes a sure thing, an afterthought, instead you play almost a meta game. Let's see if I can get a perfection before the other team quits or kills me with grenades, how about a double kill with the plasma pistol. Only way I can enjoy Reach in its current state.

Tashi

pringles said:

Well I don't give a shit but it became sort of like a challenge because Eazy was so close to 100 win straight.

Plywood said:
Oh yeah and I swear MLG settings for this game are gonna blow, "nothing but sprint". That's all I was hearing the whiny mlg type kids say when they were playing anything that wasn't Slayer Pro. Fucking with mah sandbox. >(

If sprint isn't in the MLG settings, I would be fine with that. I feel like they feel like they're obligated to include sprint though. For me, the Halo 3 MLG maps and gametypes are probably the best Halo I've ever played. I would probably take Midship over Heretic though because I used to have a lot of fun with Midship Bomb and Midship King. Actually the Warlock, Beaver Creek and Sanctuary gametypes were amazing too. Damn, Halo 2 was the shit lol.

Eazy said:
Let's see if I can get a perfection before the other team quits or kills me with grenades, how about a double kill with the plasma pistol. Only way I can enjoy Reach in its current state.

AR's only? Lol, what a timely glitch.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Tashi0106 said:
If sprint isn't in the MLG settings, I would be fine with that. I feel like they feel like they're obligated to include sprint though. For me, the Halo 3 MLG maps and gametypes are probably the best Halo I've ever played. I would probably take Midship over Heretic though because I used to have a lot of fun with Midship Bomb and Midship King. Actually the Warlock, Beaver Creek and Sanctuary gametypes were amazing too. Damn, Halo 2 was the shit lol.
I'm fine with Sprint, but nothing but sprint? Sounds boring IMO. The Reach Armor Abilities is basically the equipment being properly implemented. So I hope they don't decide to just exclude all of the others because some kids end up whining.

EazyB

Banned
Tashi0106 said:
I've always preferred a bit of the wacky that MLG never provided but after the Reach beta I'm more interested than ever in what MLG will do with the game. Probably won't be my ideal setup but it's gotta be better than what Bungie has in store if the beta is any indication of what they believe even remotely works. Some of things that made it to beta are simply mind-boggling. The AAs, outside of AL (which is being nerfed), don't bother me too much but aside from evade and sprint I find them to be more of an annoyance than anything else and wouldn't shed a tear if they were gone.

Tashi0106 said:
AR's only? Lol, what a timely glitch.
That was the worst game ever. Pretty sure it was a sign that I should just turn the game off right then.

Why doesn't MLG just requisition a map from Bungie that is nothing but one huge, untextured box?

That way, there would be absolutely no variables in play to get in the way of such a pure test of 'skill'. :lol

Halo: Reach is much more interesting with the abilities in play.

Tashi

Plywood said:
I'm fine with Sprint, but nothing but sprint? Sounds boring IMO. The Reach Armor Abilities is basically the equipment being properly implemented. So I hope they don't decide to just exclude all of the others because some kids end up whining.

The fun from the available sandbox is only a small part of the total fun in the MLG gametypes. The real fun comes from the teamwork, the competition, the game changing split second decisions, the spawn traps, the setups, the clutch flag runs. And you can argue that you can get these in chocolate Halo but Vanilla Halo cuts out all the extra stuff "Oh, I got the drop on this guy, he's totally gonna get 5 shotted, no wait, he armor locked, now his teammate is sprinting at me with a hammer, I died" That's cool and all when I don't want to play competitively but I don't like that when I am. It's just uber frustrating. But hey, to each his own.

EazyB

Banned
dslgunstar said:
Why doesn't MLG just requisition a map from Bungie that is nothing but one huge, untextured box?

That way, there would be absolutely no variables in play to get in the way of such a pure test of 'skill'. :lol

Halo: Reach is much more interesting with the abilities in play.
Nah, would rather have more Orbital and Sword Base.

Tashi0106 said:
The fun from the available sandbox is only a small part of the total fun in the MLG gametypes. The real fun comes from the teamwork, the competition, the game changing split second decisions, the spawn traps, the setups, the clutch flag runs. And you can argue that you can get these in chocolate Halo but Vanilla Halo cuts out all the extra stuff "Oh, I got the drop on this guy, he's totally gonna get 5 shotted, no wait, he armor locked, now his teammate is sprinting at me with a hammer, I died" That's cool and all when I don't want to play competitively but I don't like that when I am. It's just uber frustrating. But hey, to each his own.

How exactly does that not fall into the category of teamwork, split-second decisions, and competition?

It's a new tactical wrinkle for teams to factor into their offensive, defensive, flanking, rushing, and ambushing strategies.

I really don't see how being more skilled at using the AAs than another player is less valid than being better than another player with a particular weapon.

Vanilla Halo is fine, but it's basically just robbing the game of depth by distilling it down to only the most simple elements.

Top Bottom