• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT3| This Thread is Not a Natural Formation

Nutter said:
You know someone should ask bungie where the following 2 maps are.. [Official Bungle Recreations in Forge]

Sure there are plenty of remakes by others, but after seeing the vidoc way back then, it seemed like bungie would make their own and put them in matchmaking from day 1.

Instead we get the Cage. :/

Domino Theory said:
I wish Bungie would just come out and say if they're doing a Title Update or not.

This, they haven't even hinted at it. Out of all of the Halo's also, Reach needs a title update the most but still nothing so far.

MrBig

Teknoman said:
I just really hope they fix the whole 4GB cant play firefight/co-op issue...or is that something that cant be fixed?
Microsoft is looking into it. It's not something Bungie can do anything about.

Tabris

I got this game for Christmas. I've beaten Halo 1 to 3 all on hardcore difficulty or higher first play. I just started up Halo Reach and I'm dieing A LOT on freaking normal difficulty. Is this game much harder than the first 3, do I just suck, or am I just not being patient enough? (I'm running and gunning like I did in the previous 3)

Striker

Tabris said:
I got this game for Christmas. I've beaten Halo 1 to 3 all on hardcore difficulty or higher first play. I just started up Halo Reach and I'm dieing A LOT on freaking normal difficulty. Is this game much harder than the first 3, do I just suck, or am I just not being patient enough? (I'm running and gunning like I did in the previous 3)
Heroic is usually the safest bet for a challenge for most people. Normal isn't really that challenging unless you're doing something wrong... Use the DMR and Pistol.

CrazedArabMan said:
This, they haven't even hinted at it. Out of all of the Halo's also, Reach needs a title update the most but still nothing so far.
Not so. There hasn't been many big game-breaking exploits as Halo 2/3 have gotten hit with. Only thing that immediately come to mind are the vehicles going hay-wire in maps, whichever causes it, but everything else isn't really causing harm. Many things can be done without an update; see map inclusion, playlist settlements, etc.

GhaleonEB

Tabris said:
Those two. The game is pretty tough. I did Heroic the first time through and had a hard time, and Legendary is just brutal. Stick with it, you'd adapt and be tearing through Normal by mission 4.
Striker said:
Not so. There hasn't been many big game-breaking exploits as Halo 2/3 have gotten hit with. Only thing that immediately come to mind are the vehicles going hay-wire in maps, whichever causes it, but everything else isn't really causing harm. Many things can be done without an update; see map inclusion, playlist settlements, etc.
Yeah the number of Halo 2 exploits was amazing. Dudes ghosting out of their Warthog for invisible flag caps, hacks with guys teleporting around with infinite rocket launchers, super bounces, BXR, you name it. Nerfed nades and melee, crazy BR spread, etc.

There are a lot of issues with Reach, and a big bucket of bugs I wish would get squashed, but most of my problems I have with MP are ones of implementation, not bugs or balance.
Tabris said:
Do I need to worry about the other squad members dieing in campaign if I approach it slowly and patiently though?
No. They are invincible, a fact you can leverage to your advantage if you want to use them as meat shields. And the ones that aren't are cannon fodder there to help out while they last.

Striker

Tabris said:
Do I need to worry about the other squad members dieing in campaign if I approach it slowly and patiently though?
The Marines are just really fodder, but the other Noble members help out in a minor degree. They do not die, and just do not, I repeat, do not let Kat drive.

zumphry

Banned
GhaleonEB said:
Yeah the number of Halo 2 exploits was amazing. Dudes ghosting out of their Warthog for invisible flag caps, hacks with guys teleporting around with infinite rocket launchers, super bounces, BXR, you name it. Nerfed nades and melee, crazy BR spread, etc.

Striker said:
The Marines are just really fodder, but the other Noble members help out in a minor degree. They do not die, and just do not, I repeat, do not let Kat drive.

Or troopers.

2:54 in

>Forgot how much I hate Pinnacle.
>Get it tonight (with STOCKPILE) because people are terrible voters.
>Team mate keeps committing suicide by accidentally falling off the map.
>Down by 4.
>Play dirty by throwing flags off the blue team's cap point thus resetting them.
>Tie.

memeTrollface.png

Rorschach

Tabris said:
They'll just give away your position anyway. On the outside maps, just use sprint and run past everyone until you trigger the next scene.
lvEyC.gif

MIMIC

Banned
Striker said:

After finally getting rid of one of the enemies vehicles (I was on foot), ONE OF THOSE FUCKING IDIOTS MARINES RAN OVER ME.

It was some serious blooper reel shit.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Self Induced said:
If you're talking about my post, please point out where you think I'm being hateful. Then I'll bitchslap you for being stupid.

If not, then keep in mind small communities aren't without their value, and their "hate" is there only because they care and there is absolutely nothing wrong with this. The megabitching that goes on here only serves to prove how fanatical Halo fans are about the game. The very act of bitching does get annoying though, but sometimes its just the nature of hobbies - wanting to take something and make it their own. Suggesting improvements, sharing experiences, providing feedback - its communities like these that, in the end, improve the product as a whole.

This isn't a condemnation. This is the situation as I see it, and I see things all the time that back my views. For instance, I know you guys acknowledge that neogaf is a juggernaut of a forum, so you should realize that when people see these threads explode like the night after a burrito binge, they are NOT seeing fans who have been captured by the magic that is Halo. We get this way because theres something about Halo's gameplay nobody can quite put their finger on that makes Halo more than just a video game. Tycho said it perfectly - "these people play Halo because its Halo, not because its a video game." (I'm not saying either that this makes Halo better than other games, there are other games out there that have extremely dedicated communities as well.)
Control yourself, I'm not singling anyone out, dude.

Just reading this Halo thread makes me depressed. Yes, we're all die hard fans of Halo here, some more than others, and yes we all care so much, but unlike what GhaleonEB sees, I see lots of hatred and stuff too. Criticisms and bitching are two different things, and I'm picking up more of the latter in this thread. I wouldnt've called this a small community, but it now appears it has become one, maybe that's why I'm seeing a lot of bitching. Fanaticism shouldn't be there if it brings irrationality. A Halo fanatic I know IRL got pissed off you could drive the forklift, because he argued spartans would be too heavy to operate them, and it has thus broken canon and ruined the experience.

Or maybe it really is us running out of stuff to talk about. Armor Lock, Armor Abilities, Bloom, DMR/BR/AR, all of these things are monotonous and everything that's said has been said in 2 other OTs. The occasional fails of the weak and funny videos keep me reading this thread, but maybe it's just argument fatigue that's getting to me.

Also, One One Seven was and always will be one of my favourite webcomics. So awesome.

NullPointer said:
But its not radar, its a motion sensor. If you don't want to show up, don't move, or move only when crouched.
Even still, I think the fact that it cheapens the gameplay, and makes stealth almost impossible.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
enzo_gt said:
A Halo fanatic I know IRL got pissed off you could drive the forklift, because he argued spartans would be too heavy to operate them, and it has thus broken canon and ruined the experience.
Well listen, he kind of has a point there. Not every vehicle would be rated for a half ton spartan to sit in the seat.

It's just not good attention to detail.

TacticalFox88 said:
Even still, I think the fact that it cheapens the gameplay, and makes stealth almost impossible.
It depends where. In MP, stealth is sometimes an option. In Firefight, stealth is never an option (goddamn omniscient enemies). In campaign, stealth is only an option when the rest of Noble Team is nowhere to be found (I'm looking at you, Jun).

LAUGHTREY said:
Well listen, he kind of has a point there. Not every vehicle would be rated for a half ton spartan to sit in the seat.

Hadn't even thought about that. I doubt a simple jeep could carry three fully armored Spartans as well. It's just a rare case of 'gameplay over canon', I guess.

Though technically, and it breaks my heart to say this, there was no need for the forklift or any of the other non-military vehicles. It's a gimmick, but should not be considered canon.

Veelk

Banned
LAUGHTREY said:

Hey, remember when we flipped those tanks?

zumphry

Banned
Challenges:

Fire When Ready - 1000cR
Kill 30 enemies in multiplayer Matchmaking

One Spartan Army - 1500cR
Kill 150 enemies in Firefight Matchmaking.

T-Hug It Out - 1350cR
Kill 7 enemies with close quarters combat in a multiplayer Matchmaking game.

Aggressive Negotiations - 3000cR
Earn at least 17 kills in a multiplayer Matchmaking game.

CozMick

Banned
This game is in serious need for some new maps.

How some of you guys have been playing since launch is beyond me.

The Noble Map Pack is all kinds of awesome but the maps on the disc average from shit to goddamn awful, what were they thinking when creating Boardwalk? and what's the deal with nearly half the maps being Forge World recreations?
lazy devs :p

/rant, Give me more maps!!!! Bungie?!?!? 343?!?!??!

Barrow Roll said:
So anyone want to play a few games? Don't make me suffer matchmaking alone.
The challenge's today looks really multiplayer orientated. Today I really want to play Assassins Creed Brotherhood. But later(~7pm EST/11pm GMT) I could play some Reach.

Lothars

Alienshogun said:
IMO, all of those AAs can get removed and the game would be better for it, even your beloved jetpack.

Slayer Pro is everything Reach should be IMO.

If you wanna kill what makes halo reach good than yes taking AA's out would do fine but I don't think that's a solution at all.

I think the AA's are a great part of the game in both multiplayer and singleplayer.

Striker said:
Halo 3 didn't have any game-breaking exploits; nothing close to super bounces or BXR in Halo 2.

pakkit

Banned
ZayneH said:
Challenges:

Fire When Ready - 1000cR
Kill 30 enemies in multiplayer Matchmaking

T-Hug It Out - 1350cR
Kill 7 enemies with close quarters combat in a multiplayer Matchmaking game.

Aggressive Negotiations - 3000cR
Earn at least 17 kills in a multiplayer Matchmaking game.
Multiteam, here I come.

Sai-kun said:
Well I think the Spartan Laser was fine with 5 shots.

*runs*
I'm actually pretty impressed with the spartan laser in Reach. It's nowhere near as big of a problem as I thought it would be. It's a lot harder to aim with compared to the Halo 3 version. And I guess it's because a lot of the maps don't feature the weapon too.

I liked the beta AND the final version. Overall best FPS on consoles at the moment. However...

Things I don't like about a game I like:
-Armor Lock in most of MM. Leave it in FF and Campaign hell even remove it from a lot of playlists its in way too much crap right now.
-Concussion Rifle in anything but Campaign
-Mythic skull in FF. The health after that round is just retarded, and yes I'm aware of how it works...
-New Arena rating system, 1-50 was a thousand times better. I was sketchy on the arena rating and gave several suggestions in my writeup from the beta but almost nothing was changed. Its obvious by now the system here was a failure. Should just reincorporate H2's system which would work now that there is no modding.
-A lot of game settings could be better, Hire me.
-Alotta little bugs that need to be fixed and addressed probably should have been patched by now, looking like typical Bungie not fixing obvious errors (In H3 that icon glitch where you see your icon in your friends colors could have been fixed probably very easy but noone ever took the time at Bungie to fix that kind of crap) for example to get an exterm you need an overkill except you DONT because they programmed it wrong, they SHOULD fix that because its an obvious mistake theres no ifs and buts about that, but nothing will ever be done most likely.
-Also that retarded sword clash system should jsut be removed...I don't think it even makes sense if you look at the code...its just beyond comprehension, it works now and then and its so random.

Its like they have this great potential with this game just like they had with H3 but they never really polished it into something amazing.

Thats why I'll bitch, I've tried to simmer it down and be less annoying but it just really urks me sometimes.

Louis Wu

Hypertrooper said:
I played a lot of Firefight. The main reason was the weekly challenge. Before Halo: Reach came out I had hoped that the HaloGAF user would post many crazy firefight gametypes. But since today only one person(I believe) posted his Firefight creation. Now I want to present you:
The weekly HaloGAF firefight challenge!
WORD WORD WORD! So what is it? Every week I'll post a new firefight mode. And you try to get the highest score in this mode! WOW! Post your stats in this thread and let see who is the best firefight-player in this thread. (Should I exclude Ghal from this competition?)
The gametype is: Gruntpoc... OMG! WTF?! by me.
  • There are no prizes. It's just fun.
  • You can post your Bungie.net stats till Sunday(01.02.11) 8am(PST/5pm GMT/1pm EST)
  • The first challenge will be "solo"-only. No coop, because I want to see if HaloGAF is interested in this sort of competition.
  • There has to be stats on bungie.net.

If you have a crazy firefight gametype, you should send me a pm. Maybe we could play it next week?

Wow, that took much longer than I'd anticipated! (Guess I should have looked more carefully at the setup.)

Probably would have been better if I'd been more careful at the start. :(

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Lunchbox said:
Lol I was watching last night and I saw the guy with the giant whistle helmet but I didn't even notice the guy in the spartan armor lol. That's awesome.

Top Bottom