• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT3| This Thread is Not a Natural Formation

GhaleonEB

bobs99 ... said:
Well that right there is my problem with bloom. :lol

Seriously, Halos short - mid range combat used to be about precision and movement, it was VERY fun, and satisfying.

In that video I dont think the guy using the pistol even bothered aiming, and yet got what seemed like a rapid 5 shot. :/
Yeah. I'm starting to play a lot more MP, and I'm finding the close quarters combat to be very sloppy. It feels a lot less satisfying because it's the situation where trigger spamming can be advantageous, and melee combat is so swishy.

I'm learning to enjoy the mid to long range combat a great deal, though. Stuff like Slayer Pro on Powerhouse is great fun. That's where the bloom mechanic works best and where there's the biggest separation between the players I'm currently running into and my play style. It feels very, very good to methodically pick guys off.

Close range turns into a very chaotic maelstrom due to the armor abilities and bloom. It's awesome in stuff like multiteam, but less so when the game is a bit more serious. The mechanics encourage less precision rather than more in that situation.

That's my current take, anyways. My opinion of the MP has been evolving over the past month. I'm finding stuff like Slayer Pro and Arena more fun than any equivalent mode in Halo 3, but it might just be the relief of not seeing armor lock. I used to say that Halo feels like many games in one, with BTB playing like a wholly different beast than say, MLG. I think Reach is a beast of even more heads, and the one with armor lock plays very differently than the one without.

Arnie

Tashi0106 said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjG8HTklTcY

Some saw it live while I streamed but here it is. My first MLG Overkill in Reach. Not an extermination though :/
Nice, still looking for my first, picked up a few triples but that last player always alludes me. Need to improve my sniping too, I'm far too sketchy and nervous with it to be a real force. Some days I can be magnetic towards headshots and others I'm lost in a sea of confusion.

For the record, can we agree to at least pretend to make even teams before having a 20+ minute MLG Flag game on Sanctuary during customs?

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
GhaleonEB said:
Yeah. I'm starting to play a lot more MP, and I'm finding the close quarters combat to be very sloppy. It feels a lot less satisfying because it's the situation where trigger spamming can be advantageous, and melee combat is so swishy.

I'm learning to enjoy the mid to long range combat a great deal, though. Stuff like Slayer Pro on Powerhouse is great fun. That's where the bloom mechanic works best and where there's the biggest separation between the players I'm currently running into and my play style. It feels very, very good to methodically pick guys off.

Close range turns into a very chaotic maelstrom due to the armor abilities and bloom. It's awesome in stuff like multiteam, but less so when the game is a bit more serious. The mechanics encourage less precision rather than more in that situation.

That's my current take, anyways. My opinion of the MP has been evolving over the past month. I'm finding stuff like Slayer Pro and Arena more fun than any equivalent mode in Halo 3, but it might just be the relief of not seeing armor lock. I used to say that Halo feels like many games in one, with BTB playing like a wholly different beast than say, MLG. I think Reach is a beast of even more heads, and the one with armor lock plays very differently than the one without.
Typically the guy pacing his shots depending on distance will win out, you don't always have to wait for the reticule to reset all the way, the amount depends on distance. Times spammers will win, yeah, and it's frustrating, but I'm willing to bet the data would show that those who are pacing their shots correctly based on distance win the majority of the time.

GhaleonEB

Alienshogun said:
Typically the guy pacing his shots depending on distance will win out, you don't always have to wait for the reticule to reset all the way, the amount depends on distance. Times spammers will win, yeah, and it's frustrating, but I'm willing to bet the data would show that those who are pacing their shots correctly based on distance win the majority of the time.
I'm referring to close quarters, but yeah mid to long range there's a nuance to timing the shots just right. I had a good game on Pinnacle (of all places) where I was really working on learning the rhythm of the pistol and having some success over pretty long ranges. I stand by my critique of bloom from the Beta thread, with the modifier that it works quite well in mid and long range combat. But not in CQC situations.

kylej

Banned
haha are you fucking kidding me? We just got another foreign host that was so bad that every time we touched the elevator on Reflection it would spring us into the ceiling and force a suicide. Jesus christ Bungie fix your terrible matchmaking.

Arena: ultra-competitive playground*

*when we decide to give you a connection that isn't complete horseshit.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
kylej said:
haha are you fucking kidding me? We just got another foreign host that was so bad that every time we touched the elevator on Reflection it would spring us into the ceiling and force a suicide. Jesus christ Bungie fix your terrible matchmaking.

Arena: ultra-competitive playground*

*when we decide to give you a connection that isn't complete horseshit.

Those low population playlists are gonna fuck you like that every time.

Hey You

Noooo, my Reach disk is not working properly and apparently the game has a 90 day warranty.

All the other Halo Games are covered under MS's disk replacement program, but Reach isn't listed.

I'm getting a call back in the next 48 hours.

kylej

Banned
Alienshogun said:
Those low population playlists are gonna fuck you like that every time.

Arena is never like, "wow those guys are amazing we just got smoked". It's either shitting on kids or you're completely at the mercy of some dude's half-second advantage host. I just need to run Arena with a TO4 and hope that'll keep the kids who are hosting out of their goddamn Brazilian favela out of the way.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
kylej said:
Arena is never like, "wow those guys are amazing we just got smoked". It's either shitting on kids or you're completely at the mercy of some dude's half-second advantage host. I just need to run Arena with a TO4 and hope that'll keep the kids who are hosting out of their goddamn Brazilian favela out of the way.

Why the fuck are you playing Arena anyway? Play MLG bro

Ramirez

http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/GameStats.aspx?gameid=406496688&player=TJ Ram

C'MON MAN! I killed the oddball carrier FOURTEEN times, and my scrub teammates couldn't do jack squat to help me out 95% of the time, so frustrating. I almost had an overkill in that match, but totally choked, then choked on a triple after that, my fingers are rusty. :lol

Oh and I think out of the 4 matches I played today, one guy on my team quit out in the beginning twice, fun fun.

GhaleonEB

Some summaries on Daily Challenges, now that December is over. I tossed the lists from here into Excel and did some labeling of them. (I do this with all sorts of stuff for fun.) I went through them pretty thoroughly but may have a mislabel here or there.

By Daily Challenge Count:

Code:
Month            Any    Campaign    Firefight    Multiplayer    Grand Total

September        4      11          24           29             68 
October          14     21          41           48             124 
November         23     22          34           41             120 
December         14     17          33           60             124 

Grand Total      55     71          132          178            436

By Daily Challenge Average Credit Payout:

Code:
Month         Any      Campaign    Firefight    Multiplayer    Grand Total

September     1,725    859         883          703            852 
October       2,107    1,655       1,256        978            1,312 
November      1,915    1,395       1,346        1,050          1,363 
December      1,821    2,106       1,588        1,653          1,717 

Grand Total   1,926    1,559       1,294        1,177          1,369

By Daily Challenge Total Credits:

Code:
Month         Any        Campaign      Firefight      Multiplayer      Grand Total

September     6,900      9,450         21,200         20,377           57,927 
October       29,500     34,750        51,500         46,960           162,710 
November      44,054     30,700        45,750         43,050           163,554 
December      25,500     35,800        52,400         99,185           212,885 

Grand Total   105,954    110,700       170,850        209,572          597,076

I found it kind of interesting. Most notable trend is the increase in the average value of each Challenge from month to month, especially in December, which follows the gradual rise of the Game Complete bonus. I'm guessing Luke and company modeled how they thought the community would advance through the Ranks and moved the Challenges to increase as well. I'm curious to see if that continues.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
kylej said:

True, it just seems to happen more often than not in Arena and MLG.

Player stats are interesting for December, while the early part of the month was a fairly constant 600-750k, reach shot up to nearly a million players per day for the entire chritmas-> new years stretch. While not totally unexpected, what surprised me was that Halo 3 actually tracked a pretty similar jump. I figured at this point, H3, would fall away some as the kiddies got Reach for Christmas and stopped playing h3. I guess the feature of people having more time was a more significant factor in peoples playtime.

Lazslo

GhaleonEB said:
So today I decided to devote to MP, the first time I've taken a day to do so. And I sort of killed lots of guys.

What's happening to me? Is it because I played that MLG game yesterday? I've got hair growing in strange places and I'm scared.

(Yeah, I know. It's newbies from the Christmas wave. But I'm used to being decidedly average, so today was really, really weird.)
Welcome to the winning team my man. I like that your all stoked on MP, It's nice to see you enjoying this part of the game. See ya online!

Ramirez

Tashi0106 said:
Wait, you got 2 double kills for an extermination? :lol

:lol That kid's a BEAST! Did you add him to your friends list afterwards? Hahaha

Yup, not the first time it's happened either, usually if the match has long respawn times, like 10+ it will do it every time if you kill the whole team within that window.

And as far as that kid goes, I've been getting teammates like that every game. -_-

zumphry

Banned
Weekly Challenge:

Dedication/Time
Complete 16 Daily Challenges this week. 16000cR

Daily Challenges:

Fire When Ready
Kill 50 enemies in multiplayer Matchmaking 1000cR

A Great Friend
Earn 15 assists today in multiplayer Matchmaking. 2000cR

There Are Many Like...
Kill 50 enemies with precision weapons in the Campaign today. 1000cR

Roast 'em, Toast 'em
Kill 10 enemies while jet-packing in Exodus on Normal. 1200cR

zumphry

Banned
Dani said:
The Exodus jet-packing challenge has got old, fast. Was novel the first time. Annoying the second and now it's a chore. Zzz

Feet First
Assassinate the Elite at the beginning of Pillar of Autumn, only to commit suicide or assassinate a grunt instead. 100 cR

Week 2 | Gametype: Vidmaster [First Place: 77,777 cR]

The Rules:

• Legendary Only.
  • Solo: Corvette (preferred), Waterfront only | 4 Players: Waterfront, Holdout only.
  • Just you, your Magnum, 4 of every grenade, and a whole lot of Covenant. There's more to Halo's weapons than a DMR and Magnum. Experiment.
  • 15 lives.
  • No defense play. Keep on moving. Don't hide behind cover so your shields can recharge. If you're hit, run so you don't get hit again. Exception to this rule: any wave with Skirmishers.
  • Must be online when attempting the challenge. Also, please provide a link to a saved film (don't have to render it). Don't be boring.
  • Style counts. Multikills, assassinations, sticks, you name it. The flashier, the better.

Options:
  • You can either play Solo, or in a party of 4. Player with most points in 4 Player will get combined score.
  • For extra difficulty (why?), you can play melee only, no hits from Grunts (or try to not get hit at all), and/or no health packs.
______

Week 1 Results

Rankings:

tgf7X.png
Zennshi: [+45,000 cR] | 45,000 cR
yk3ST.png
ZayneH: [+32,500 cR] | 32,500 cR
ECBRy.png
Louis Wu: [+26,250 cR] | 26,250 cR
1jS3S.png
Hydranockz: [+20,000 cR] | 20,000 cR
EdbCH.png
Guileless: [+15,000 cR] | 15,000 cR

Louis Wu

ZayneH said:
Feet First
Assassinate the Elite at the beginning of Pillar of Autumn, only to commit suicide or assassinate a grunt instead. 100 cR
Per instance. Up to a maximum of 5000 cR. :lol :lol

Kuroyume

Banned
Good weekly challange. They should never get below 15,000 at this point. May have to do those stupid "Kill X number of enemies with automatic weapons in campaign" challanges now though... ;/

Meh assists still need fixed. I dropped an entire players shields myself and then a teammate nabbed the shot after shields popped last game. Got nothing I was all like "really?". Happened with me and shogun a week or two ago too...

You say "but then everyones scores would be too high in arena" right? well aren't scores relative to the players in the game you just played in and don't really mean anything? Those players are going to be bounded by the same rules governing their gameplay and statistics (read their assist #'s here) so why can't they just go ahead and make like anything 3+ shots worth of DMR damage and other weapon equivalencies equal to an assist? Really? Who cares if its that way because of arena it would STILL work and make more sense the numbers would just be higher.

Besides arena is basically a dead playlist recently anyways takes too long to get matched, and theres no real skill gappage like H3's 1-50 levels. Its either completely terrible kids or a group of 4 warriors who either are insanely skilled and team oriented or god host connection sponges.

Man I would really like to see a title update for this game. So much potential still. Still fun though. I'm having so much fun armor locking my ass off...its so powerful. 18-0 perfection today makes it my 4th, got an overkill which would have been a killtac on Spire if I wasn't still warming up with armor lock (a ghost charged me when I had the overkill and i flinched the armor lock instead of holding it i only tipped him over, it showed him weak with no shields so I ran up and beat him down...didn't connect or he had too much life and I got deaded.

equil said:
I hate idlers too, but does it really hurt you that much in firefight?

Yes when you have like just you playing and you're going against ten mythic white dodging elites and can barely get a kill before being raped by a hundred different weapons shaking your screen it kind of does...they should be banned they are gaining credits not doing anything...thats not how the systems built.

It becomes very unfun quickly because of these people. Ban em. Bottom line.

Plus I'm doing it right I gotta goto sleep and he gets to keep gaining credits for his supercool armor pieces. Not fairrrrrrr wahhh! :lol

Top Bottom