• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT4| This Thread is Not Your Grave, But You Are Welcome In It

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
GG's everyone I was playing Squad Slayer with. Sorry if I was complaining a lot. When I don't play MLG I run around expecting to get overkills and when that doesn't happen, I get bitchy lol. Also...fuck radar

Highest Halo 3 level and which playlist.
46, Lone Wolves
AR or BR?

Favorite multiplayer map from Halo 2 and 3 (one of each).
Headlong
Valhalla

Do you prefer BTB or MLG?
BTB

Competitive multiplayer or Firefight?

It depends on my mood

Games completed on Legendary.
Halo Wars
Halo
Halo 2
Halo 3: ODST
Halo 3
Halo:Reach

Are you EazyB?

if I was, it would be a plot twist.

Favorite Campaign missions (all games).
Silent Cartographer
Anything in the Mombasa City
ALL OF IT
The Ark
New Alexandria

Favorite Reach playlists.
BTB
Squad Slayer

Size of frankie erotica folder (in megabytes).
32 mols

Opinion on reticule bloom.

I don't like it

Opinion on Armor Abilities and what's the one you usually favor in MP.
I really think Armor Abilities are a step in the right direction for Halo, but I don't think Reach implemented them quite right, some of them suck, AL, you know. I like Hologram and Spring and Cloak

Why are you a Halo fan?
www.alpha27.net

Favorite Halogaffer, and least favorite. (optional)

EazyB

O D I N

Anyone up for some Firefight tonight? Ghaleon? :D

Good buddy of mine hooked me up with the blue flames, I'd like to wear them in. :3

before everyone and their mother has them

Tashi0106 said:
GG's everyone I was playing Squad Slayer with. Sorry if I was complaining a lot. When I don't play MLG I run around expecting to get overkills and when that doesn't happen, I get bitchy lol. Also...fuck radar

Use the sword to get overkills. Noob.

Well, it looks like I won't get my article on Armor Abilities done tonight. I'm really really close to being done, but I need to sleep now so I won't sleep at work tomorrow. I just have 2 or 3 more images to photoshop and some finishing touches on my site to do, so it shouldn't take me long to get things launched tomorrow.

If I was a game developer I'd post a cryptic countdown clock. Then tomorrow everyone can be disappointed like they always are after the underwhelming reveal.

Tawpgun

O D I N said:
Saw that coming. :-/

Also, TOTALLY approve of your subtle, yet excellent avatar change. :)
Thank Mr Big. He did it for me. <3

Fun games tonight. Seemed like a little too much reflection though.

Tashi0106 said:

excuses

I wanna play!!

Highest Halo 3 level and which playlist: 45 Team Slayer

AR or BR? BR
Combat Evolved Pistol

Favorite multiplayer map from Halo 2 and 3 (one of each): Headlong / Standoff <-- Fixed

Do you prefer BTB or MLG? Halo2 BTB before ranked was removed < worst decision ever right behind Bloom.

Competitive multiplayer or Firefight? multiplayer

Are you EazyB? Reincarnated in some ways and not in others

Favorite Campaign missions (all games): All of Combat evolved. Nothing since...

Size of frankie erotica folder (in megabytes): 0 megabytes
I think he might be a eunuch

Opinion on reticule bloom: Interesting idea in theory. Waste of time in Halo.

Opinion on Armor Abilities and what's the one you usually favor in MP: Bleah... Jetpack!

Why are you a Halo fan? Combat evolved LANs / Campaign. Hitscan. Halo2 Team Objective, ranked BTB, and Clans!!!!!

Favorite Halogaffer, and least favorite. (optional): Bobs99!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Least favorite: Juices, because he likes Reach too much.

Now feel free to introduce yourself and/or share anything you want so we get to know you better, we'd love to read it. (optional) For all you juniors, I have trouble articulating myself on Gaf without annoying everyone. Thus, people like to throw rocks at me.

ElRenoRaven

FyreWulff said:
There was an option for invincible vehicles in Halo 3. Did that not come along in the move over to Reach? I swear it did. I'll have to go check.

edit: Yeah, it's there. Weapons and Vehicles -> Indestructible Vehicles

It is but having tested it a friend and I found out that it makes the driver invincible too. At least it did every time we tried it. Hence it's useless.

leonfaria04

Neo Member
Highest Halo 3 level and wich playlist.
50 team double
AR or BR?
BR
lockout and the pit
MLG
Both
Halo 2, Halo 3, Halo 3: ODST
Are you EazyB?
no
Halo last level in halo 3
Mlg and arena (doenst mean that i like the current rules)
4259 mb
sucks
Sucks
Why are you a Halo fan?
Story, multiplayer, friends, everythig lol
Favorite: letters, least favorite: letters... Complicated relationship looool

Havok

Tunavi said:
Who thought pairing up active camo and radar jammer whenever you want was a good idea?
An entire team of camo-ers completely breaks everything :(

Stuff like this makes me wonder what Classic++ will really be. Does anybody know if the Reach overshield powerup still does the dumb Halo 3 thing (my recollection of Halo 2 was that charge time was shorter, but I might be completely off-base) where you're invincible for nearly 10 seconds after you pick it up because the chargeup is so slow? That's one of the things that frustrated me so much about Guardian games.

Havok said:
An entire team of camo-ers completely breaks everything :(

Stuff like this makes me wonder what Classic++ will really be. Does anybody know if the Reach overshield powerup still does the dumb Halo 3 thing where you're invincible for nearly 10 seconds after you pick it up because the chargeup is so slow? That's one of the things that frustrated me so much about Guardian games.

Yes overshield still does that.

PNut

Banned
Even though I'm still a Junior, a kind welcome to the new wave of Juniors.

My only claim to fame in Halo is my 50 (5-star) in H3 Rocket Race and TD's. Yes, an odd combination no doubt, but I only know a handful of people to accomplish this feat that didn't boost EXP in H3 RR. I still play Rocket Race custom games in Halo 3 with full parties. Yeah.

The only other gaffer that I know of that can run Rocket Race, 5-shot, or 4-shot on my level is PeteRock.

PNut said:
Even though I'm still a Junior, a kind welcome to the new wave of Juniors.

My only claim to fame in Halo is my 50 (5-star) in H3 Rocket Race and TD's. Yes, an odd combination no doubt, but I only know a handful of people to accomplish this feat that didn't boost EXP in H3 RR.

The only other gaffer that I know of that than can run Rocket Race, 5-shot, or 4-shot on my level is PeteRock.

Oh do you post on Ars Technica?

Plywood said:
Barrow Bro, *fistbump*
Dang, almost missed this. Fistbump to the max bro. You're the only one I'll ask my scatological hypotheticals to.

Also, I didn't see the new questions that were added so I'm gonna post my answers here since we all know none of you actually scroll up and read older posts.

Why are you a Halo fan?
My first exposure to Halo was sometime in 2002. I was like 11 or 12 and I went over to my friends house who then told me we were going to his neighbors house to play Halo. I was like, what's a Halo, you mean that game I see ads for on TV but think it's pronounced 'Hah-Low'? Yeah, it was that game. Attack on the Control Room co-op was my first foray the realm of Halo. I was mesmerized, it was like nothing I had played before. I had experience with FPS' before since I pretty much grew up on the likes of Doom, Duke 3D, Shadow Warrior, but this was like nothing else. The huge open vistas, the vehicles, the weapons, the aesthetic, I instantly fell in love with the series. My friend eventually got his own Xbox since I was a Gamecube kid. Back in those days I was only allowed to own 1 console and I already made my choice thanks to Zelda and SSBM. But almost every day after school we'd co-op Halo. And eventually it was Halo 2 on Xbox Live almost every day. I had read Fall of Reach and was a full fledged Halo fan without even owning an Xbox. Now that I'm older, I can fully appreciate everything the franchise has to offer. But at the core of it all, Halo is simply one of the finest FPS' ever crafted, it influenced a generation of shooters to come and has a rich universe just waiting to be tapped for wonderful stories and games. New games and shooters come and go but nothing keeps me coming back like Halo does.

Now feel free to introduce yourself and/or share anything you want so we get to know you better, we'd love to read it. (optional)
You guys probably have no idea how often randoms go "HUR HUR DO A BARROW ROLL" when they see my name in lobbies but few actually know what it means. My last name in the real world is Barrow. I made a Star Fox 64 joke with my last name. I'm so clever.

A friend that goes by the gamertag of 'Ultra Mittens' actually came up with the name.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Barrow Roll said:
My first exposure to Halo was sometime in 2002. I was like 11 or 12...
Holyyyyyyyy crap, that makes me feel old. And I'm only 26! I guess that's only four or five years difference, but still, lol.

I just reserved Halo: Cryptum at my local library again. I tried reading it when it first came out, but I was kind of overdosing on Halo at that time, and lost interest quick. Is it any good? The only reason I'm reading it now is to satiate my Halo 4 hype. I'm assuming the Forerunner trilogy will tie into the new games somehow...?

omg.kittens said:
Holyyyyyyyy crap, that makes me feel old. And I'm only 26! I guess that's only four or five years difference, but still, lol.
If it makes you feel any better, I mostly hang out with people around your age. :p

Mik2121

This is completely off-topic but... after reading this thread and the Black Ops thread... what's up with so many Americans misspelling "Hangar", typing "Hanger" instead?

O D I N

Mik2121 said:
This is completely off-topic but... after reading this thread and the Black Ops thread... what's up with so many Americans misspelling "Hangar", typing "Hanger" instead?

That's how I've always spelled it (hangar).

To answer your question, no idea. I blame the schools.

darthbob

Mik2121 said:

Because we don't realize that their is a difference between the two. "Hanger" is far more commonly used in everyday speech, for one.

Booties

Banned
hanger steak is awesome. ^^^^^hangers happen all the time in baseball too. hanging pitches, hits, bloops, all kinds of shit.

fucking love jet packs on reflection even more though.

Kujo

50 in Action Sack
AR or BR?
Needler
Backwash and Isolation
BTB but only when I get the sniper first, otherwise I quit
Idling in Firefight
Mostly Halo games
Are you EazyB?
I wish
The Library, Cortana, ODST credits
Rocket Race
I prefer marty
Best idea ever
They don't last long enough. I use camo with the sniper like a pro
Why are you a Halo fan?
Cause CoD was sold out at the time and this was the only other game that had guns on the box

omg.kittens said:

I just reserved Halo: Cryptum at my local library again. I tried reading it when it first came out, but I was kind of overdosing on Halo at that time, and lost interest quick. Is it any good? The only reason I'm reading it now is to satiate my Halo 4 hype. I'm assuming the Forerunner trilogy will tie into the new games somehow...?
Presumably, yes. It's a good novel, though it reminds me more of Ringworld than it does of Halo. :lol

Mojo said:
50 in Action Sack
AR or BR?
Needler
Backwash and Isolation
Idling in Firefight
Mostly Halo games
Are you EazyB?
I wish
Rocket Race
I prefer marty
Best idea ever
Why are you a Halo fan?
Cause CoD was sold out at the time and this was the only other game that had guns on the box
enokw.gif

Mojo said:
50 in Action Sack
AR or BR?
Needler
Backwash and Isolation
Idling in Firefight
Mostly Halo games
Are you EazyB?
I wish
Rocket Race
I prefer marty
Best idea ever
Why are you a Halo fan?

Joker-clap.gif

I want to play (I never got quizzed on entry to HaloGAF, so I suppose I should really)

46 in both Team Slayer and Double Team I think.

AR or BR?

BR.

Sanctuary, The Pit

Sheesh, neither.

Multiplayer all the way. Firefight is nice and all, but it's all about Human Opponents.

All of 'em.

Are you EazyB?

For the purposes of this questionaire, no.

Silent Cartographer, Assault on the Control Room, Two Betrayals, The Maw.
Delta Halo.
Tsavo Highway, The Storm, The Covenant.
ONI Sword Base, Nightfall, Tip of the Spear, Long Night of Solace

I don't like Reach all that much. It's no Halo 3. If I had to pick, Squad Slayer, Arena (Less AA BS) Team Doubles, Classic Playlist.

My mother stole all my Frankie erotica. It was quite the collection.

I hate it. Give me a hitscan BR with a little spread and an okay range (not DMR style range) and I will be in heaven.

I think Armour Abilities are a neat concept, but its been executed poorly. At present, they all need to die in a fire.

Why are you a Halo fan?

Back when I was 17, I walked into an Electronics Boutique with my younger brother in 2001 and they had an Xbox pod running the Halo demo.

My younger brother and I stepped up to have a go (we'd not heard of Halo before) and within 5 minutes of play, we'd decided to trade in our PS1, N64, all our games and pads. (Saying goodbye to Perfect Dark was a hard thing to do)

We went back and picked up a new Xbox that day and hammered Halo Legendary Co-op. I'd never played anything so deep and involving. The graphics, the sounds, the design. I was hooked. We got another Xbox later that year, and held regular 4 v 4 LAN Parties.

In 2004, Halo 2. I met so many people online that I'm friends with to this day (they even came to my wedding!) I will always and forever be a Halo fanboy.

NOKYARD, for his amazing help and attention to detail. I don't have a least favourite, you're all awesome people in your own special way.

FyreWulff said:
So, I haven't seen you guys post many theories on how Classic++ is going to work on the Halo 1 maps.
What would be your opinion on that kind of setup?

I would love it to happen but two things come to mind

1. One of the reasons Frankie listed for the exclusion of CE multiplayer was the so-called overpowered 3s pistol

2. If it was included, it would have to be projectile based (like the needle rifle) and, for me, they'd have to change the physics via a TU to allow a more fluid strafe; otherwise a 3sk would be too easy on Reach.

Btw, having avoided Team Slayer for months due to armorlock trollers, I thought I'd give it another chance. Wanting to experience some of the new forge maps in the playlist, I instead was greeted with the horrorshow that is Bro Slayer on Powerhouse.

Wretched gametype, nearly got a Broseidon - the problem with that? The idiots on my team didn't realise you could spawn at set locations instead of on your bro's, so any attempt at stealth or a flank was thwarted by a big fucking arrow broadcasting my location to the other team.

Needless to say, I won't be touching the playlist with a bargepole once again which is a shame because it seems to be where the community maps will be housed from now on.

Wh0 N0se

Squad Slayer is where it's at! No Armor Lock and an extra 50% worth of kills to get despite only the one extra player per team.

Much prefer SS to TS.

Tawpgun

47 in dub dubs, Lone wolves, or Team Slayer. They were all above 45 at one point. Forgot which one was 47.

AR or BR?
Gimme dat BR and free my sooouuulll...

Headlong (fuck you for making me choose one)
Standoff (haters gonna hate)

BTB

Multiplayer by far. Fix the lag. Then I might give firefight more playtime.

Halo
Halo 2
Halo 3: ODST
Halo 3
Halo:Reach

Are you EazyB?
We all have a little EazyB in all of us. In more ways than one. Bow chicka bow wow.

I'll do one from each game.
Silent Cartographer
Regret/Delta Halo shut up it counts as one.
The Ark
Mombasa Streets
Tip of the Spear

Squad Slayer for donging
Arena for donging with a purpose
BTB for fun
Living Dead for I don't care lets just play something.

Not big enough

I don't like it... but I also feel that when it goes right, when you pace and win, it feels much more consistent and tight than the non hitscan H3 BR, which would drop bullets due to latency and be crazy inconsistent.

However there is still that annoying gray area where you're not really sure if you should go for the spam or pace. Not to mention the times where a lucky spam will make someone win.

Terrible. Spawning with an ability is not what Halo is about. Everyone except maybe hologram can be terribly abused.
Sprint - Melee Rush, Sword/Hammer/Shotty quickly run away from danger.
Evade - Too far, too fast. Sword/Hammer/Shotty abuse.
Jetpack - Breaks maps.... But I will say its one of the most fun to use.
Camo - Sniper
Drop Shield - Objective but they seem to have removed that. Still.... a personal bubbleshield at all times? :/
Armor Lock - Broken and retarded by design. It's abused just by being in the game. More so when you use it in bursts in CQC.

I tend to use sprint most often since its basically standard. Makes me wonder what they'll do in Halo 4. Modernize and make sprint built in? Or bump up player speed (oh god please do this, fuck modern trends)

Why are you a Halo fan?
During reading time in class, friend shows me he's reading a Halo book. At this time I think Halo is the name of the Spartan. He talks about it like its the greatest thing ever. I get home and look it up and find out there's a free multiplayer demo of Halo on PC. Halo Trial.

So I play the FUCK out of that. Silent Cartographer is the only mission. Blood Gulch CTF and FFA slayer are the only gametypes. Eventually, I get recruited by the [A27] clan (see GAF name) We dong on the Halo Trial World. But then we get bored of the same map and gametype. We find a way to crack and play Halo Custom Edition for free. Managed to get the campaign as a mod (it was unchanged) and it was the first time I played through the CE campaign all at once instead of bursts at friends houses. Thought it was amazing and a lot of fun.

The clan expands, and since we could only play with people who cracked Halo CE also, the community in our cracked version was relatively small. Probably only a page of servers at any time. Because of this, everyone knew who the big players were. Who the big clans were. So we donged our way to the top, becoming the best clan in our version of CE.

CE was amazing, Coldsnap is still the best Halo map ever. But it was 2004 and Halo 2 came out. I still had a PS2. But I went over to my friends house when he got it and we beat the Halo 2 campaign together. Now, I was blown away. The universe was so rich... I ended up getting the first 3 books and learning so much more. Our local community center had 4 xbox set up and I would go there whenever I could to play Halo 2 multiplayer over LAN. I even had one of my birthdays there. I fell in fucking love. Glitching, BRing, BTBing it was amazing. Then my friend got Xbox Live. I practically lived in his house at that point.

Sometime in 2006 I got my 360. First game I got was Halo 2. The rest is history. I delved deeper into the universe. I got involved in the Halo community. Sort of focused on the machinima community. Hollywood Halo and Halogrid glory days. Halo 2 customs. Shitting my pants after Halo 3 announcment.... This game...

feel

drunk vh party leader was indeed good times back then

Mojo said:
50 in Action Sack
AR or BR?
Needler
Backwash and Isolation
Idling in Firefight
Mostly Halo games
Are you EazyB?
I wish
Rocket Race
I prefer marty
Best idea ever
Why are you a Halo fan?
O_O

=_=

Top Bottom